• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Vocal Synth Community Survey Results

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
Thought this might be worth a thread:

Background: the poll was run to find out what voice types are most in demand for vocal synths, here's the verdict:

Full summary:

tl;dr version:

Q: Favourite engine?
Top answer: Synthesizer V

Q: Vocal style?
Top answer: Masculine/Androgynous (exact tie)

Q: Primary language?
Top answer: English

Q: Secondary language?
Top answer: Japanese

Q: Voice type?
Top answer: Alto/Baritone (less than a percent difference)

Q: Soft or power?
Top answer: Power

Q: Vocal characteristics?
Top answer: Mature/Sexy

Q: Genre?
Top answer: Rock

Q: Design style?
Top answer: Casual

Q: Theme color?
Top answer: Purple

Q: Art style?
Top answer: Anime

Q: Extra features?
Top answer: Appends

Based on votes, the community is most interested in deep masculine and androgynous voices for Synthesizer V.

Sep 21, 2019
Theme: purple
Clearly those who participated know what they're talking about.
----------
Also looking through the top results, it seems everything is pretty in-line with what I'd want to see. SynthV isn't my favorite engine, but I do love it and want it to do well. Also, more mature male/androgynous voices that are powerful and suited to rock are more than okay with me! Despite all the different vocal synths out there, there really aren't enough of those type!
(Now I kind of want to what one could potentially look like!)

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Everything is in line with what i voted for except vocaloid is my fav engine and I prefer feminine voices over masculine (although my first preference is androgynous)
Also I cant remember what color I picked but I don't think it was purple.

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
Is anyone else surprised that female wasn't the most picked for vocal style?? I was so sure that was gonna be it :O and with considering how there seems to be more female vocals for synths than males out there too.

Also, quoting that last part of the thread:
So, if the community built a vocal synth, we would get:

A masculine baritone or an androgynous alto: powerful, mature, and suited for rock. They'd have a purple theme, wear casual clothes, and be built for Synthesizer V with ENG and JPN.

Surprised or validated? Let me know!
A powerful and mature androgynous alto voice suited for rock, in a purple casual outfit——say no more take my entire bank account please :kanon_lili:

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
A masculine baritone or an androgynous alto: powerful, mature, and suited for rock. They'd have a purple theme, wear casual clothes, and be built for Synthesizer V with ENG and JPN.
...this is right up my alley honestly because it just sounds like some perfect alternate universe Flower if i'm being honest haha.

part of me isnt surprised by the masculine/non-female results.... at least with this survey, it really captures the specific side of the fandom and from what i see that specific side leans away from what is very typical in vocal synths (which is often based of eastern fandom interest).

Last edited:
Reactions: TheStarPalace

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
the results are clear: people are clamoring for Flower English Synth V

But seriously this was a fun poll to watch. Honestly I'm not surprised masculine was so far ahead-every single voice synth community space I've ever been in complains about the lack of male voices or how the existing ones often get the short end of the stick.
And it wasn't a gigantic difference- masculine was the preferred voice type from only about a third of the voters, androgynous tied, and feminine was 24 percent or so.
I was more surprised that Alto won as a voice type! I see so little love for altos from song writers in the community...
And there was that bit about casual designs being the most popular- I would have assumed futuristic would win since people seem to like that trope?
Either way I'm glad superstellar did this poll!

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
I’m surprised that anime is the most wanted art style. I would have thought that the western side would have wanted more variety in the art

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
^On the spreadsheet you can read all the artists people submitted - anime's big, but there's some non-anime appreciators too. A lot of 'anime...but with a twist' styles. Though as a lot of people discover vocal synths through Hatsune Miku and anime, it's not totally surprising we have an anime bias.

As an alto fan I am extremely empowered by this. Also everyone who voted 'Villainous' into third place are my edgy brethren. :kyo_halloween_lili:

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Oh turns out I voted for feminine vocal instead of androgynous. I think that was a mistake. But yes the color I did pick was pink, surprise surprise!

I'm a big fan of some of these "other" submissions. "All of the above except deepvocal" and "something an actual person would wear" are iconic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)