• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID Vocaloid designs!

Pomelo

In 2D hell
Apr 8, 2018
It's pretty unfeasible to create a poll given the amount of Vocaloids out now lol, but which Vocaloids' designs are your favourites? What sort of stylistic choices do you like to see? Conversely, what ruins a design for you, which Vocaloids have designs that you don't like?

I think it would also be nice to hear what your ideal Vocaloid design would be, if you could make one!

To start, some of my favourite Vocaloids:
  1. Nemu: basically hits all of my sweet spots- black bob, over-sized sweater/more natural looking fashionable clothes, slouchy socks, nice colour scheme, aahhhh so cute...).
  2. Nana: I've always liked how sleek and modern the designs for the Macne series are, also I just really like Gomoku Akatsuki's art style in general lol).
  3. Tianyi JP: I generally like Vocaloid designs based on like more 'normal' street clothes vs. something super futuristic and out there...I guess there are a few exceptions, like Nana, but yeah. Tianyi's new outfit is really sweet and fashionable, and I like the colours.
  4. Mayu: I love big poofy hair about the same as I love bobs, especially if they're light coloured...so yeah. Great lolita based design, and I like the light rainbow in her hair that stands out without being super obnoxiously colourful.
Some honourable mentions: Tonio's Taiwan design (even though I hate Prima's lol), Miki (who was a favourite until newer designs came out), Akari (I love her design, I just hate the colour orange...), Rion's original design, Oliver, Xin Hua, Maika.

As for my least favourite designs, uh...
1. Gumi, every iteration of her.
I tend to not like designs that are SUPER busy/detailed (Fukase, Galaco's original design), or have weird/clashing colours (Unity-chan, also original Galaco, Una Spicy, original Rion's green)...but I think the only one whose design I just completely and utterly dislike every aspect of is Gumi.

"But Pom!", you might say, "Rion's original design was a hot mess design wise AND had clashing colours, you hypocrite!"
My answer is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
idk man I love Akio Watanabe's stuff and moe anime girls.

Reactions: Elsa12TMNT

WintermintP

Lead Guitar, One Minute Winter
Design-wise, YANHE by a mile, although chances of me buying her is very slim because I don't know a dang thing about the Chinese language. Nemu has a really good outfit but I don't think I'll be able to buy her because of the special privilege stuff that I don't agree with.

Obviously there's Miku as well, but I honestly prefer the Ixima illustration of one of the Magical Mirai designs (I think it was the 2012 design? It's definitely the more futuristic outfit with the turquoise flaps and it had mostly the black, the grey, and the white, with maybe a little bit of the magenta). I know it was a single-piece outfit though.

EDIT: I found it!

Hatsune Miku - VOCALOID - Mobile Wallpaper #2114665 - Zerochan Anime Image Board

WintermintP

Last edited:

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I'm the type that my favorite desihns correlate pretty directly with myself. So all my favorite designs are females, very feminine, light colors (esp. reds/oranges/yellows/pinks, and long hair pretty much...and especially love the pop star vibes

My favorite designs include IA (especially Rocks and the Shooting Starboutfit) Galaco NEO, Uni, Cul's original design, Maika, Ling, basically any vocaloid similar to these.
For male designs, really just Len Append and Yohioloid

I really don't like busy designs like Fukase. Just too much. And his in particular, has no hint of being natural and I like natural looking designs. Also really dislike Gumi V4 and English and Luka V2. I don't hate their designs as a whole (I adore Gumi V3 and Luka V4X) but Gumi V4/English just does not look good to me, not even decent. Luka just never appealed to me with her V2 design, I could never really think of why though...

Eviltreat16

Probably an Artist, Probably a Praying Mantis
Apr 8, 2018
Favorites for Outfits: Rin/Len (V2/V4X), Gumi English (Her Dress is noice), Ruby, Yan He
Favorites for Design: Miku V3 (HER CURLY HAIR!), Fukase, IA, Galaco/Galaco Neo, Nemu

I generally like most designs over some voices, but there are a few I have no preference over for small reasons. I despise Tone Rion's design because it's busy, and I prefer Iroha's new V4 outfit over her V2 because her V2 was just too 'Fights in a Mech Suit' for me. On a side note, I enjoy most of Miku's other official outfits, same goes for most other designs for Vocaloids.

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
I tend to like Vocaloid designs based on how much I think they match the voice, so it's really subjective. I generally don't like really busy designs, but I can appreciate someone like Fukase because he fits the aesthetic of the band his voicer is from.

While I really like Miku and Rin's designs, I prefer less uniform-y looking designs like Meiko's.
Mew has probably my favorite design of any Vocaloid ever though.

My favorite character design is, without a doubt, Hatsune Miku V2. Every who knows me, knows that she is perfection in my eyes.
The first thing that stands out is the color scheme. Her blue-green hair and details just PIERCE THROUGH MY EYES! The unobtrusive gray color of her top makes her seem like she tries not to stand out but yet she does. And those black clothes are just so cool; I love it how fast the colors change from her sleeves over to her "absolute territory" and naked shoulders. It's a paradox that a mix of cold colors feels like a warm hug. And that hairstyle, UUUUHHH. After seeing her twintails, my absolute ideal of a woman has changed. It looks so playful, but due to the length that takes years to grow and care, it seems yet so mature. I also like that her design is futuristic but is based off retro instruments. I mean, the color scheme comes from a Yamaha DX-7! How darn awesome is that?!
Overall, her design is cooler than a lonely cyborg biker driving towards the sunset to me. It perfectly fits her voice that people have tuned in thousands of ways. (And I'm not even going into details lol.) Respect goes to the illustrator KEI who just got the task to turn a "singing computer" into a girl.

To explain why I like Luka's design so much, is a little difficult. It has similar backgrounds as for Miku. Gold + black has been my favorite color scheme since ever. It fits her tender voice perfectly.

As for my favorite male design, it's Kiyoteru Rock. I'm just a sucker for gothic clothes, yet I dislike most because they look too female for my taste. Kiyoteru's outfit has just the optimum gothic factor for me.

My other design favorites are Lily, Tianyi original and MAYU.

Gumina

New Fan
Apr 10, 2018
Germany
kaschra.deviantart.com
My fave designs are Yan He and Ling. Love Yan He's tomboyish look and the colour scheme, and everything about Ling's design.

I also love the design of:
Stardust
Yukari
Luka
IA
Tianyi

I LOVE Gumi's hair, but I'm not the biggest fan of her outfits and the orange colour scheme.

I dislike:
Iroha's V2 design (No)
Otori Kohaku (the fuck is that even)
Kiyoteru V2 (bland af)
Tone Rion (hate her outfit and colours)
XinHua (when I saw her the first time, I thought someone simply drew Tone Rion in casual clothes lol)

Last edited:

Heruru Meruru

THE v@SHFUCKER Dearly Stars
My favorite kind of Vocaloid designs are ones that incorporate digital music/synthesizer elements into their designs, and no, just slapping headphones or music notes on them doesn't count. Gakupo's sword and armor come to mind, as does the Character Vocal series, Utatane Piko, Mayu, and the original Tone Rion.

I also really enjoy Fukase's design for its creepy-cute factor, and Lapis and Oliver are adorable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pomelo

GreenFantasy64

カイミク || Len English || Arsloid || V5/Piapro
Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
:kaito_move: Really like:
I love Miku v4 design more than her other ones.
Both versions of Kaito. More for his coats.
Really love the clothes of his Cantarella Grace Edition too
Longya: I like how his hair is both white and black (half and half)
Fukase: I think I like his original draft one where it wasn't too much damage on his clothes and his eyes were both normal. But I'm okay with his boxart one and is interesting.
LUMi: Nice and soft in a way.
Kiyoteru: Love his V4 (both of them, but more for his Rock append)
Luka: More of her V4 now.

:kaito2_move: Is okay:
Arsloid: Not too much of a big fan of his red pants, but hey if I once wore dark green pants in high school and white pants in middle school (I was a rebel...okay I hated wearing jeans and tan color pants in middle school, plus I didn't get sent to the principal office at all so yay.)
Meiko v3

:kaito3_move: Don't like:
Gumi: Don't really like the design of her clothes and how it doesn't really seem to blend together perfectly. I guess it's because she supposed to represent a carrot...? Or is that the fans' idea of her favorite food because of her clothes?
Kiyoteru: For his v2. He seems bland and...eh...sorry Kiyoteru. (But seeing some fanart of him makes me give him a second glance. ; 3)
Gachapoid: Don't like his voice, but I think he looked kind-of cute, but I don't know for sure
Meiko v1

Will edited this post later with more vocaloids

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I actually like Gumi's V2 and V3 designs. V2 reminds me of a futuristic magical girl (and as magical girl and sci-fi trash, I just adore it lol), while V3 reminds me of a pilot, what with the orange bomber jacket and the goggles. (The underboobage with her shirt is a bit much though). On the other hand, I'm not fond of the V4 designs, especially the shoes because it springs a classic Vine meme to mind.

Inversely, I prefer Luka V4X's design to Luka V2, because it looks much prettier and streamlined compared to the original.

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
My favourite designs by far are the Chinese ones mainly (they've got this down!) with Yuecheng, Tianyi V4, and Stardust all coming up top. IA and flower are both great too. I generally dislike the English VOCALOID designs since they either try too hard to be "real" or look awfully OC, but Sonika's design and Taiwan Sonika/Sweet Ann are both great. SeeU is definitely one of my fave 100% original-looking designs as well.

Reactions: Elsa12TMNT

VocaMew

That one Mew fan
Apr 8, 2018
twitter.com
*Vocaloid defense squad has arrived*
I'll totally give you guys one for not like V3 Gumi (The underboob like come on man), but I do really love her V2 and V4. She just screams nerd, vocally and design wise; they really work for her.
Also, I never got why people hated Otori Kohaku's design or Unity-chan's voice so much. Vocally, she has both cute and mature spunk to her; it's very charming, and I love how Kohaku and Akaza contrast each other so much with their color schemes. Kohaku's Vocaloid design still feels very connected to her original mascot design, and Akaza feels very connected to her by being very different if that makes any sense??? Also, their background in the Unity game engine makes me wanna support them as mascots that represent people's ability to make anything

Anyways enough of that
Favorites:
Mew: both because I love her entirely and Ryuji Otani's art style is very unique and so spectacular
Unity-chan (both of Kohaku and Akaza, see mini-rant above)
Sachiko: Her design is so much and I love everything about it. Her artist's style and her design scream traditional Japan so well and it's so united (while also being so much)
Merli: Her design just fits her voice so well
Lily: She's beauty, grace, and kick a** all at once
Galaco NEO: She's has both a modern and traditional vibe to her at once, it's really stunning
Miki: She could be a mascot and idol for everything all at once

Designs I tend to not enjoy:
Mayu: I tend to just really not enjoy yandere characters, and that axe man
Lapis: Kinda the opposite of Merli honestly. I did expect high-pitch, but a smooth, calm high pitch, not her heavy rasp

BLANAero

Watakushi, Aero de gozaimasu!
Apr 8, 2018
Montréal, Canada
Best of all damn time: Tianyi original. THE WING MAAAAN
A tier: Tone Rion original ( I truly hate her v4 tho), Otomachi Una (the 3 of them) v4flower(the "sharpness"? don't really know, it's just neat), Rin Len append (the yellow bands, the kinda PVC), Rin v4 BECAUSE THE PIANO SKIRT Sweet Ann Taiwan (the gracefullness) Yan He (the transparent piano scroll + white hair and skin) Tohoku Zunko (the weird colors)

F-Tier Every single english/spanish only voicebank (except Taiwan box art and maika)
Hiyama Kiyoteru v2 (ok hi)
Gachapoid (I hate this vocaloid so much), Chika
A lot YAMAHA produced vocaloids: MEW, Fukase, ZOLA, Sachiko, VY1 VY2(they don't even have one lol), arsloid
Azuki, Matcha(ok hi)
Lumi(I really don't like that)
Rion v4
Cul
I don't like normal(like everyday life),real looking, monochrome, or abstrait designs (and red-haired too I guess lol, and gachapo can just go to the trashcan)

WintermintP

Lead Guitar, One Minute Winter
Looks like I'll have to come up with a list as well!

Best:

YANHE - I love the colour scheme, physique, and outfit style. Outfit style specifically because although her outfits aren't as special as that of the others, she's still got that neatness to her.

Yumemi Nemu - Again with the colour scheme. The asymmetry is a little bit bothersome, but her outfit style outside that is actually pretty cute and I like that.

Nekomura Iroha Natural - Gotta love that hairstyle. The dress is also likeable.

Aoki Lapis - I for one love Lapis. Yes, from the cuteness in her voice to her actual outfit. Not only the colour scheme but some of the futuristic design she has is actually pretty likeable.

Miku's other design that I linked to.

Worst:

Anon/Kanon - Voice-wise, they're great. The one big problem, though, is that there's something with Anon that I'm having a hard time not noticing and because of the inconsistency, it's a little bothersome, although I'm not one to judge.

Other than that, I don't think I can complain about much other than ZOLA, which is like... I don't even know what the illustrator was trying to portray...

WintermintP

Mantis128

"Clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight"
Apr 9, 2018
I guess it's cliche, but the V2 Cryptonloids are probably some of my favorite designs not just in Vocaloid.

Least favorite is Clara; it's just so "eh".

I suppose Gumi's designs are bad, but they have a stupid charm to them.

Oh and I also love the Kagamine's append outfits.

RawBeansP

feng yi supremacy
Apr 8, 2018
elsewhere looking for oarfish
alright fair warning I really like magical/fairytale designs lol

S rank:
Lumi (white haired magical jellyfish goddess mom yes pls)

A+:
Flower (both are good, both are great)
Mayu (esp that black kimono redesign)
Sachiko (magical girl mom, much love)
Merli (dark fairy with a sparkly gem twist yes pls)
Avanna (magical celtic flower child yes pls)
Taiwan Tonio (unicorn Vocaloid is canon and I love him)

B+:
Uni (simple but omygosh so adorable)
Galaco (space princess is a yes)
Stardust (space princess is a yes)
Akaza (space princess is a yes and I'm so sad no one ever cares about her???)
Nemu (casual cutie holy crap lol)
Hunter Dex (also an alt design that's underappreciated; very handsome and great idea)
Taiwan Sonika (she did what Gumi did but better)
Xin Hua JP (I just really like the color scheme, green is my fave color lol)
Oliver (okay there's some bias here but come onnnn look at this historical cutie)
Ausgris (magical casual robot child is a yes)
Miki V2 (used to be my fave back in V2. love the doll aesthetic as well as the space aesthetic. casual space princess? yes!)
Zunko (I love the traditional feel and the fact she has a magical bow that turns stuff into mochi)
AnoKano (both are simple yet pretty cute idols, I love the mirroring twin theme as well as their personalities. both girls are great tbh)

Hot Garbage:
Prima (her taiwan design is great but doesn't at all fit her voice which makes it bad. her common fan design is bland and uninteresting to look at)
Lily (too complicated, looks hard to move around in, doesn't know what anatomy is)
Arsloid (bad voice, garbage design. colors are too clashing)
Tone Rion V4 (I might've liked this design if they weren't just trying to kill the old Rion and replace her with this bad lookalike. Jfc not even the eye color is the same)
Kohaku (she was V4's Tone Rion but worse. so many clashing colors, too many designs trying to fit into these colors and she's overall not an interesting character to look at, she just kinda hurts my eyes lol)
Miki V4 (I wish they kept the doll parts. she looks so fluffy and magical but I feel like it's overdone and doesn't really resemble her original self)

Last edited:

Pomelo

In 2D hell
Apr 8, 2018
Prima (her taiwan design is great but doesn't at all fit her voice which makes it bad. her common fan design is bland and uninteresting to look at)

Tone Rion V4 (I might've liked this design if they weren't just trying to kill the old Rion and replace her with this bad lookalike. Jfc not even the eye color is the same)
Miki V4 (I wish they kept the doll parts. she looks so fluffy and magical but I feel like it's overdone and doesn't really resemble her original self)
Really agree with these points! Taiwan Prima would be cute if it wasn't attached to Prima's voice. It absolutely doesn't suit her.

I miss doll Miki too. I do like her redesign about the same as the old one, but the lack of joints makes me sad.

(Also I'd probably like v4 Rion's design more if it was a new vocaloid, but since I loved original Rion I'm kinda meh about the new design. Wish they'd at least kept SOME aspects, even if it was just the hair/eyes. (RIP cute heart shaped eyes).

Last edited:
Reactions: RawBeansP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)