• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Vocamerica 2018

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
Ok here are the results!

4th place

That That's That by Aku-p (Circus's choice)
Two Sided by Quasar-p (Lupin's choice)
World's Eighth Wonder by Party-p (Empath's choice)

3rd place
All Or None by Sofubi-p

Closing Theme
Last Flight by AJ/Music

Opening Theme
Wish by Anh Duy

Congrats to everyone who entered, and to everyone who won even more!
AND
What did we learn here

that if it's a pop song, it's gonna win lol
what did I tell you!
the only one that doesnt really fit the "pop" genre is World's Eighth Wonder and it's only fourth place too

i freakin knew it, lol

so at least now we have the blueprint for the next contest, right? Just write a pop-sounding song, either light or dark (tho it seems theyre trying to go light for this one arent they), and you'll have a more solid shot at the win than anything else.

Last edited:

GreenFantasy64

カイミク || Len English || Arsloid || V5/Piapro
Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
AND
so at least now we have the blueprint for the next contest, right? Just write a pop-sounding song, either light or dark (tho it seems theyre trying to go light for this one arent they), and you'll have a more solid shot at the win than anything else.
I know I was seeing some comments how some people were sad or disappointed in that. Wondering why didn't Aki say so in the guidelines if they were looking for light, cheerful songs in the first place...
Do Vocaloid Ballads/slow sad/hopeful songs even have a chance to live? Or is everyone into dark, sad pop songs these days?:clara_lili:

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
I know I was seeing some comments how some people were sad or disappointed in that. Wondering why didn't Aki say so in the guidelines if they were looking for light, cheerful songs in the first place...
Do Vocaloid Ballads/slow sad/hopeful songs even have a chance to live? Or is everyone into dark, sad pop songs these days?:clara_lili:
Right???

Like if they had wanted that they should've clarified!! They really screwed over a lot of good entries.
The person who made the High Functioning Depression Sequence (The one I wanted) was talking about it on Twitter, like look at this--

Screenshot 2018-05-06 at 7.58.27 PM.pngScreenshot 2018-05-06 at 7.58.20 PM.pngScreenshot 2018-05-06 at 7.57.55 PM.png

So according to Tora who's last I checked been pretty into the Vocaloid community for a while (didn't they help make stella? wasn't aware it was a scam tho last I checked), Vocamerica's into it for the money

which is a lot darker and more depressing than I first thought

Like here I thought it'd be a great opportunity for the newcomers bc they said they were looking for new stuff, a chance to be different and make songs that weren't pop and stuff

And as a result, we learned they only want songs that'll make them money; i.e., the pop songs that'll get stuck in yer heads

Tho if they're doing it for the money then why did they lose all their kickstarter money so fast? And I mean they only make 300+ on patreon for the project, not to mention their merchandise doesn't sell too great; I mean their little pudding dex/daina plushes sold out last year and weren't restocked.

I mean RIP maple and Shius and khanadee and all these other producers who didn't make the cut man
yall got snubbed lol

(this is not to say its folly for the other producers to win, bc they were legitimately good songs! I'm really glad that Anh Duy did place bc the guy's like what, 15? A young thing already on their way man)

but maple does raise a good point, I mean...if you're gonna get 4x the views on your song and you're not even going to get recognized...I just feel bad for the guy. It seems a little weird to not even say "btw gj this guy" bc they congratulated a few others who got mentioned, it was Khanadee and Shius I believe, but not this one. And this one is the top result too.

what a weird contest lol

Last edited:

GreenFantasy64

Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
I guess I could mention this, but hopefully I don't get hate for this... But I don't really like that for the Vocamerica there is UTAUloids with one (or two?) voiced by Aki herself. So you got Diana which is already voiced provided by her and is a Vocaloid, but you got her UTAUloid version too. :cautious: I mean for the beginning I guess I was meh on that since they were starting and only had few Vocaloids to use, but now that they are getting more English Vocaloids, are they going to still use the UTAUloids? :ia_lili:

EDIT: Also are they going to change the Vocamerica banner so all the characters are the same instead of multiple character arts put together? I don't know if they had, but it somewhat bugged me before. :akaza_lili:

Reactions: Elsa12TMNT

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
I guess I could mention this, but hopefully I don't get hate for this... But I don't really like that for the Vocamerica there is UTAUloids with one (or two?) voiced by Aki herself. So you got Diana which is already voiced provided by her and is a Vocaloid, but you got her UTAUloid version too. :cautious: I mean for the beginning I guess I was meh on that since they were starting and only had few Vocaloids to use, but now that they are getting more English Vocaloids, are they going to still use the UTAUloids? :ia_lili:

EDIT: Also are they going to change the Vocamerica banner so all the characters are the same instead of multiple character arts put together? I don't know if they had, but it somewhat bugged me before. :akaza_lili:
BRUH
I KNOW

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE

There are several people who don't like the UTAU aspect. And then Aki even went and had a poll asking if people want more UTAUloids for the project and we're all sitting here like "Baby no what is you doing"

To me it always seemed a little bit like Vocamerica was just "Empath x KenjiB LIVE feat. Circus", and knowing she voiced not only Namida but AIKO (and I had no idae about Aiko I thought it was just Namida omfg) I'm like wow

Wow

Vocamerica's not worth the trouble

Maybe when they finally a) add Oliver, Big Al and all those other vocals it'll be worth the trouble and b) actually include those songs from the winners of the contest from last year (like what's the hold up man that's not fair to them)

I'm like maybe just gonna take a break from Vocamerica lol
seems like it isn't worth all the time

Last edited:

GreenFantasy64

Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
BRUH
I KNOW

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE

There are several people who don't like the UTAU aspect. And then Aki even went and had a poll asking if people want more UTAUloids for the project and we're all sitting here like "Baby no what is you doing"

To me it always seemed a little bit like Vocamerica was just "Empath x KenjiB LIVE feat. Circus", and knowing she voiced not only Namida but AIKO (and I had no idae about Aiko I thought it was just Namida omfg) I'm like wow

Wow

Vocamerica's not worth the trouble

Maybe when they finally a) add Oliver, Big Al and all those other vocals it'll be worth the trouble and b) actually include those songs from the winners of the contest from last year (like what's the hold up man that's not fair to them)

I'm like maybe just gonna take a break from Vocamerica lolol
seems like it isn't worth all the time

Aki is like, "I want more voices of myself in Vocamerica. :iroha_lili:"
This is a joke, please no one roost or jump at me with screaming voices of angry please
But yeah, I remember last year I read a post somewhere where someone mentioned that they didn't like that Aki was using her UTAUloid in Vocamerica and it stayed with me like a big reveal, opening my eyes a bit on that. *Plus I didn't really like the designs of the UTAUloid expect for Aiko a bit since they didn't fit with DDR art designs*

:agree: Don't stress yourself too much on Vocamerica, peach.

khanadee

Engloid Fan
Apr 19, 2018
DC
I personally really liked all the songs that were picked! I'm a little discontented with Wish as the winner due to what I previously mentioned with the tuner also having done the song that won the Prima song last year and feel it's kind of unfair as it was technically breaking the rules, but I liked all the other songs. I wish maple and other producers had gotten a shout out though, as everyone did such a wonderful job. maple's music is stuff I wish I could produce myself, so I'm hoping they don't give up because of this.

Reactions: GreenFantasy64

Twillby

Longtime Listener
Apr 8, 2018
US
To me it always seemed a little bit like Vocamerica was just "Empath x KenjiB LIVE feat. Circus", and knowing she voiced not only Namida but AIKO (and I had no idae about Aiko I thought it was just Namida omfg)
Aiko is voiced by MystSaphyr, not Aki. That said, I was kind of eh about the inclusion of Namida since she's Japanese only if I remember right. I think Aki explained it by saying she was mainly to be a mascot or something like that?

Last edited:

Sharkartist

Passionate Fan
Apr 16, 2018
Eastern USA
Im happy with all of the discussion that has happened here reagarding the winners.

I do wish that there was more variety in the list, my favorite song from their choices was probably World's Eighth Wonder, the least pop of of all the picks. Like peach said, it seems like rock songs are always shoved aside for the catchy pop tunes that keep making chant their depressing lyrics.
Other than that, great job to all of the participants, and hopefully next year there will be variety in the winners:happy:

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
Im happy with all of the discussion that has happened here reagarding the winners.

I do wish that there was more variety in the list, my favorite song from their choices was probably World's Eighth Wonder, the least pop of of all the picks. Like peach said, it seems like rock songs are always shoved aside for the catchy pop tunes that keep making chant their depressing lyrics.
Other than that, great job to all of the participants, and hopefully next year there will be variety in the winners:happy:
Yeah dude same
It feels like a wasted opportunity bc there were so many other options u kno?

I freakin knew they'd all be pop songs and I was right
all but that one that was the acoustic song which was cute

Somebody owes me a dollar

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
Try to be polite to the winners, guys. It's pretty hurtful to say they won based on genre alone.

Worth noting that it's important to consider the function of a song when entering a contest. A slow, low-energy ballad, while awesome in its own right, is not appropriate for a concert theme.
And that's true, no doubt. I'm happy for the people that won, though I will admit I was shocked (I thought for sure Aku P had at least one of those first place spots)
but you have to admit it's interesting that the songs they picked were all pretty much the same genre
It's clear that the judges have a bias towards pop, even though it's not totally necessary for it to only be pop songs in a concert.
magical mirai, stardust and even the vsinger concerts didn't have exclusively pop music, you know? Ballads are great in concerts- they're featured all the time, even if it's just one or two, but they're definitely in concerts as well and it would be cool to have seen at least one in the vocamerica concert.

It just feels like it's a missed opportunity for more interesting things outside of what we got, as interesting as the songs are that we got. I want to make it clear that it's not the producers that I have a problem with. Whether we like it or not, the judges picked what they liked because it's their concert, and that's fine. I don't want to undermine that, but it's also important that people be allowed to express criticism of it.

I mean for me I can only handle so much of the same sound in a concert before I either get bored or stop listening entirely (I remember the 39 giving day concert back in what, 2009? I was watching witha friend when Miku had literally performed seven or eight songs in a row and we had to skip through her stuff because we got so tired of listening to her voice over and over lol).

The issue isn't with the winners, I think, but the similarities between the results. At least that's what I'm getting from it.

BenHo

Aspiring Fan
Apr 8, 2018
I like them. Especially Wish. While I would like to see a bit more variety in the Vocamerica concerts, I still appreciate the songs that were chosen.

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
I do agree that the rules should have been clearer (what kinds of songs they were looking for to fit a concert atmosphere, some people haven't been to a concert before and might not know). All we can hope is that next year, the inclusion of a theme will help fix this. Maybe they picked the songs they did, because they mentioned thinking about how they could turn it into an MMD animation. Maybe, for example, they couldn't think of what type of dance would be done for a rock song? Maybe they thought if it's rockin', it needs an instrument played instead of a dance. (IA plays a guitar during some of her songs, duplicating that would be too hard for animators who don't know what the fingers should be doing in addition to the fact that finger motion capture has to be done separately from the rest of the body *3D animator using mocap in training here*) I dunno. Trying to be positive here.
We appreciate the effort! xD
I definitely don't mean to rag on the winners. You're right, they just got picked. It's not like they knew, as did nobody else as it should've been clarified in the rules, that and it's how the judges prefer their music. However AngelEmfrbl from Vocaloid Wikia made a good point about it;

Screenshot 2018-05-07 at 8.05.15 AM.png

And I think it's a good point not just for the Vocaloid community globally, but it's true for the Western community, too. They write all sorts of stuff that could be represented that just haven't been in Vocamerica. I'm hoping the addition of Oliver will have them add new things that aren't pop, because he's got several cool songs that are more rock or ballad based (corasundae is a great example).

Vocamerica has an opportunity to really represent how unique and varied the west is, as that's what it claims to be doing more or less. Wasn't that what its slogan was? The American vocaloid concert or something? Why not represent a little bit of everything people do here, and not just the one thing?

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Confratulations to the winners! I was loving seeing everyone's songs!

As for my take on this conversation topic, I do wish there could have been more variation or specifying what they wanted to see. Vocaloid has so mant genres, it's misleading to only show pop. Take Miku's events, while all super popular songs, has many different genres and themes throughout the concert. Pop maybwork best for a concert, but Vocaloid should be portrayed as more than that because it is more than that.
To throw in some of my personal thoughts about Vocamerica, I always felt it was a but misleading. I was always under tthe impression it was going to be eqjal and not how Miku events are, but Dex and Daina have a clear manority and are the mascots. I understand Aki uses them given one of them she voiced, but the way it was pitched was to be equal for all Engloids? Not to mention no updates on the last contest winners but I believe Daina in particular has been getting new songs (though I don't keep up too well with everything). It just feels like a Dex and Daina Expo to me sometimes quite truthfully, and I really wjsh it'd even out, especially because if it stays this way, I fear the other Engloids will only get one song per concert with how many there are

Reactions: Elsa12TMNT

ohpeach

Digital artist
Apr 8, 2018
earth
deviantart.com
Confratulations to the winners! I was loving seeing everyone's songs!

As for my take on this conversation topic, I do wish there could have been more variation or specifying what they wanted to see. Vocaloid has so mant genres, it's misleading to only show pop. Take Miku's events, while all super popular songs, has many different genres and themes throughout the concert. Pop maybwork best for a concert, but Vocaloid should be portrayed as more than that because it is more than that.
To throw in some of my personal thoughts about Vocamerica, I always felt it was a but misleading. I was always under tthe impression it was going to be eqjal and not how Miku events are, but Dex and Daina have a clear manority and are the mascots. I understand Aki uses them given one of them she voiced, but the way it was pitched was to be equal for all Engloids? Not to mention no updates on the last contest winners but I believe Daina in particular has been getting new songs (though I don't keep up too well with everything). It just feels like a Dex and Daina Expo to me sometimes quite truthfully, and I really wjsh it'd even out, especially because if it stays this way, I fear the other Engloids will only get one song per concert with how many there are
Now that's an interesting point-- I think it's a good point that the concert was speculated to be more like an all inclusive for all engloids and getting equal time, that would have been absolutely lovely to see!

However, I do see why it's essentiall Dex and Daina Live, too-- a majority of the bigger popular songs are with those two. That on top of it being an Aki Kenji passion project, and those two are responsible for a lot of songs with them as is Circus, I think it was just destined to be a more Dex/Daina focused, unfortunately.

I'm hoping it'll be forced into being more varied when they finally (finally) include Prima / Tonio / Sonika / Big Al / Oliver and I recall mentions of Cyber Diva / Songman being in the works for possible appearances, + Alys is going to be added, too. They can't afford to have just Dex Daina stuff in it if they're going to be blowing up the roster.

I'm really hoping that them adding all these guys will lead to the removal of utauloids, too. Namida and Aiko, as cute a reference it is to have them, just don't fit like the others (neither does the purple one though I know they have an agreement with the group who made her).

They're finally adding all these other Engloids to give them a shot, so I'm really really hoping they'll pick things up and bring about that Engloid focus that they promised the first time.

There's still potential for variation, and I"m sure if we keep asking for it, they'll find a way to provide. Maybe if there's a way to request these things from the staff or Aki or something. Though I wonder how open she'd be to criticisms or suggestions, since I've never really seen much of her asking for ideas and things from the community beyond that one poll, where she was asking if we wanted more Utaus in the concert (oh no)

khanadee

Engloid Fan
Apr 19, 2018
DC
I personally like the ideas of utau/other synths being included, but I feel like it should be limited one or two original utau songs the entire concert, with only western made utaus that can sing in english. If they're multilingual, it's fine to include their other languages, but using a japanese song for an english concert seems a little bizarre to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)