• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID What Vocaloids do You Consider "Popular"?

Vegetaljuce

Gumi English Geek
I feel like Flower in particular has really shot up in popularity within the last couple years. It's surprising to me that she took off a reasonably long while after her initial release. Nowadays it seems like everybody's using her. I'm curious what an eng VB would sound like with her :P But that's off-topic.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I wonder if flower's boost in popularity has something to do with her v4 design. Ever since it was released I've been seeing a ton more fanart of her, but its always her v4 design- I rarely see people draw her v3 design anymore.

BLANAero

Watakushi, Aero de gozaimasu!
Apr 8, 2018
Montréal, Canada
Ok So having been cosplaying as Vocaloid and Talking to anime watching people, they know Miku, Rin, Len, perhaps Kaito, gumi and Teto
That’s it
Anybody else bye
I’ve seen 1 Mayu, 1 gakupo, 1 piko, 1 Meiko even 1 kokone
i’ve Seen like 5 Teto, 3 Kaito, merch and stuff, they’re pretty known and popular
But that’s in almost a month of convention days
But like I’ve seen so many Matriochka parka Gumi(only that module for some reason), a crap load of rin Len Miku senbonzakura(some kaito but no luka, meiko), a lot of rin and Len and Miku in a lot of other modules too.
When I was Len, I got stopped so many times
But Flower got 1 or 2 times in 6 days of convention, and people didn’t recognize her much at Miku Expo NY 2018
Got hardly ever stopped as Kaito
I don’t see luka much like I see more teto and Kaito than her
“The Twins” “The turquoise pigtail girl”
Are the only ones that work “the blue guy” “the green girl” or others work like never
“Twindrill girl” works because of Yandere simulator lol

Ok edit: I see a lot of people saying that Gakupo is popular but really? Like he has 4 solo songs only over 1 million views on Nico Nico, he’s only used by like Hitoshizuku when he needs 7 characters or something
He was popular for a while, but Una and Flower right now are so damn popular compared to him it’s not even comparable
If you say known and not popular like I oriented my answer ok perhaps but he’s not popular.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheStarPalace

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
Honestly for Japanese VOCALOIDs it boils down to Cryptonloids, Gumi, Gakupo, IA and maybe flower/Una/Tianyi. A case can probably still be made for Yukari and at a big stretch Iroha too. Miku does indeed transcend VOCALOID and is a league above everyone else. For Chinese VOCALOIDs it's easily Tianyi > VSinger > Medium5, with Tianyi probably #2 overall just down to how huge her Chinese fandom is. Engloids is absolutely Oliver and Avanna > Dex and Daina > the rest with Maika being the only notable VOCALOID from any of the other supported langauges but even then she's only really popular in the Spanish-speaking fandom it seems.

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
I saw that video. Big disagreed with it. The popular ones imo are the Cryptonloids, Gumi, Gakupo, IA, Tianyi, and Yukari, + maybe Una. Flower has more traction as of late, too.

People who complain that Meiko is 'so unpopular' remind me of the people who complain the Ninth Doctor is too unpopular, when he's one of the MOST popular and adored Doctors, esp compared to almost every classic one. Compare Meiko to any English, Spanish, or Korean vocal, as well as most Japanese/Chinese vocals, and she dwarfs them

Sep 21, 2019
Definitely the CFMloids and Gumi as far as Japan and overseas go. Maybe Una and Gackupo, too. In the western side of the fandom, Flower, Piko, Oliver, and Fukase seem to be pretty popular (and people call them the meme squad, but I don't get it??).

I don't understand it either when people act like Meiko is so incredibly unpopular. I'm not a huge Meiko fan or anything so I don't follow stuff with her super closely, but I think she seems to get a good amount of usage.

Though, I think the only Vocaloid people outside the synth community recognize is Miku. She's essentially the Pikachu of Vocaloid. They may not know Vocaloid, but they'll probably know Miku. (Though, she still doesn't have Pikachu level of recognition in the west, but that's probably because Vocaloid stuff is a lot more difficult to find in the west, sadly. ;-;)

And, as far as UTAUloids go, Teto's probably the most recognizable, but as far as I know she doesn't really "transcend" the synth community. I think the most popular UTAUloids (both overseas and in Japan) are probably Teto (undeniably), Ritsu, Ruko, and Renri. (I don't follow a lot of UTAUloids outside of the VIPs, so I may be wrong.)

Momo may have some popularity, but I don't think she's as popular as she had been around her initial release. Same goes for Sukone Tei. Though, I think Tei's started to see a sudden rise in interest around mid-2019. I'm thinking she'll see a spike in 2020. (Also, I'll be silently hoping they give her an updated voicebank since she hasn't had one since 2014-ish, but that's off topic.)

Last edited:

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
Definitely the CFMloids and Gumi as far as Japan and overseas go. Maybe Una and Gackupo, too. In the western side of the fandom, Flower, Piko, Oliver, and Fukase seem to be pretty popular (and people call them the meme squad, but I don't get it??).
Afaik, in the "older" days there was the shota group of Len, Oliver, and Piko, + Fukase once he came out, but as shota and loli problems have gotten more recognition and those words have become more stigmatized, a better name is just meme squad. I've seen people add Flower and Moke to this group sporadically, and even a few times I've seen either Len or Oliver be excluded? Doesn't seem to have a solid definition, but yeah! Agreed that that group has some more popularity in the west.

Sep 21, 2019
I think it's Len who's typically excluded, and a lot of the content involves bullying or fun of him and/or Piko for some reason? I don't quite get it. :miku2_move: (That's off topic, though.)

• Haha
Reactions: Leon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)