• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Anime Recommendations for a Newb?

Sep 21, 2019
I looking to find some animes to watch, mainly just to practice my Japanese listening skills, and wanted to know if you all had any recommendations.

I've seen Lucky Star (probably my favorite), Love Live, Himouto! Umaru-chan, My Hero (at least the first three episodes anyways), Digimon Tamers (season 1 & 3, I think), Sailor Moon (original, not Crystal), and Toradora. (Oh, and Pokemon, of course! Come on, who hasn't seen it at some point? XD)

Definitely not interested in anything that's dark or horror-themed, and definitely nothing heavy on fanservice kind of stuff.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Would you be open to Yuri on Ice? It's my personal favorite. There's some fanservice stuff, being an anime about male figure skaters, but it's got a really uplifting plot and a very cute couple at its center. It's a feel-good show that leaves you feeling warm and fuzzy. Also, it's only twelve episodes, so it's easy to binge in an afternoon.

I'd also recommend Sakura Trick, because it's colorful and cute and funny, but it's pretty fanservice-heavy, so approach that one with caution.

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Something I like to do with my favorite anime episodes is download the audio, cut out the long gaps of silence in Audacity, and put the episode's audio on an mp3 player to listen to again and again. It really helps with learning vocab and memorizing sentence structure when you already know the context of the scenes, because you've seen the episode with your eyes and can laugh along to it again with just your ears.

I'm not sure which anime to recommend just based on the non-horror restriction. Are you looking for comedy, slice of life, anything remotely shoujo/romantic, magical girl, BL/GL, sports, action, something else?

Edit: Call me weird, but when I was lower level, I also liked to sit at the computer and pause the episode almost every sentence and write down what I heard in a Word document.

Sep 21, 2019
I'm pretty much down with anything that's not dark, fanservice heavy, etc.. Maybe something magical girl or comedy? Slice of life is good, too!

I like the idea of taking an episodes audio and converting it to MP3! I'll have to try that!

___

Oct 8, 2019
Digimon Tamers (season 1 & 3, I think)
Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.

Btw dunno if I understood you correctly but Digimon Tamers has only one season and no ( animated ) continuation. Digimon anime is also weird cuz each season is also difefferent canon so when you said Season 1 I wasn't sure whether you meant Digimon Adventure or not?

Anyways, allow my digimon loving-ass to recommend you Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters. It's seriously the funniest digimon anime and it doesn't take itself very seriously most of the time and it has probably the most lovable main characters out of all the digimon seasons. The stakes get higher by the end of the show and it gets more serious but it doesn't get dark like Tamers or Adventure did. Seeing Eri I was worried there would be fanservice but nope!

Sep 21, 2019
Ohh! I forgot Digimon has different names for each canon! By season one I definitely meant Digimon adventure. Oops.

I'll definitely have to check it out!

Thank you to all of you for your recommendations! :D

Reactions: ___

Älfa Dröttning

Aspiring Fan
Sep 17, 2019
You could try Carol and Tuesday. It's music themed and it's mostly in Japanese with the exception of the songs. I haven't finished it because I've been busy, but it's really good.

Sep 21, 2019
What about Tokyo Mew Mew? I watched the first half of season 1 years ago and remembered it being really cute.
Oh, I've been meaning to look at it for a while! Thanks for the recommendation!

You could try Carol and Tuesday. It's music themed and it's mostly in Japanese with the exception of the songs. I haven't finished it because I've been busy, but it's really good.
I've been meaning to check that one out since the Mermaid Sisters became a fad! Judging by the small bit I've seen of it, it looks pretty funny! Thanks for the recommendation!

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
What about Tokyo Mew Mew? I watched the first half of season 1 years ago and remembered it being really cute.
I second this. The anime is pretty funny.

Shugo Chara is pretty good (it's on Crunchyroll). I watched it in the background while translating stuff (because I thought it would just be dumb), but ended up getting pretty invested in it and couldn't stop watching it.

Mermaid Melody has singing magical girl mermaids, the main characters and bad guys sing songs to hurt each other and the songs are very catchy.

• Love
Sep 21, 2019
Thank you for the recommendations! So far I really like Nichijou, and I definitely need to check out the rest of the recommendations! Everything sounds really interesting!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)