• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Copic markers or digital drawing

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
So, I have been thinking about upgrading my drawing tools, and after recovering from the shock caused by the prices for proper drawing tablets, I was thinking about investing in Copic markers or something similar. My point is to be able to colour stuff in a way that it could look decent.

Now, as my budget isn't unlimited, I can't just buy the whole colour chart of Copics. So I was wondering if anyone here has experience with Copic markers and could give me a rundown of the most basic colours needed (including shades and highlight colours) I'm mostly drawing Miku, so initially the palette should focus on the colours needed for coloring her.

I've googled around a bit, but I feel the outcome is that I'm just confused. I think I know which basic skin tones I need, in addition to black and an array of greys (one site suggested getting all the greys from C1 to C8). The teal colour is the biggest puzzle for me. Any idea which colour in their charts would best match her original illustrations, and what colours I need for shading/highlighting her hair?

For now I'd need the basic colours to get started, I will probably buy more colours later. Also, the Copic Ciao range seems to be cheaper than their standard line, but since they have less ink capacity, does anyone know how long they last before needing to be refilled?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I might have been misinformed about digital drawing. I read from Clip Studio Paint's website that you need a graphics tablet with a display for the software. But reading stuff elsewhere, I'm not sure. So, an additional question: Is a cheap graphics tablet without a display usable with Clip Studio Paint (or how convenient it is with digital drawing software in general)? If a cheap tablet is okay, I could opt for that.

EDIT 2: Altered the title to include digital drawing.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreenFantasy64

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
A graphics tablet without a screen (like the Wacom Intuos) is the most common tool for digital art, and the hardware used to make most of the work you see online. I've been using one for almost a decade and have no desire to upgrade! :akari_lili: Artists typically only purchase display tablets like the Cintiq when they are fairly far along in their professional career.

You can use a normal graphics tablet with any software, including Clip Studio Paint, so fear not.

YunīC

Stan Yuezheng Longya
Apr 8, 2018
Honestly, personally I think there's no "basic colors", I began with 1 copic (though I used it with combination of other colors, for example brush tip felt pens or highlighters) and bought my "tiny" collection of alcohol markers over the years.
Though I have to say especially at the beginning I rather bought the colors from stores where you could try them and just bought colors I needed but couldn't find other pens that do the job.

I would say if you really want to draw mostly Miku you would need some sort of teal color though.

You might also want to look into alternatives to copic. There are both no name products & cheaper brands (some other brands also have refillers).
In the end it's your decision but most brands at least work good with each other (but if you take some cheapskate alcohol markers like sharpie or Bic Marking don't expect them to blend same MIGHT apply to no names/knockoffs but there are comparision videos for a lot of them so you can look into that in advance)

Personally I would prefer Touch Twin Markers over Copic Chiaos even though Touch Twins can be a teeny tiny bit more expensive because sometimes the Chisel tip of chiaos MIGHT not be cutted 100% exactly right + I just like the chisel tip more.

But that's totally just my bias!!

Oh also don't forget to buy Marker Paper as well!! (I use Copy Paper but that's the death of Copic Markers tbh. and with marker paper it really looks so much better.)

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I have Copic markers, but I hated them and barely used them (I was forced to buy them for art school in a time when I was transitioning from traditional art to digital exclusively and hated wasting money on something I didn't want to draw with), so I can't give that good of advice on picking the "correct" marker colors.

However, I really recommend looking on YouTube for artists who use them and watch how they apply color. An example I can think of off the bat is appleminte, she layers her colors to make them darker or blend them. You could also look at the Japanese users on YouTube (there is a lot of Miku art as you scroll down!), they show exactly which colors and tools they picked and almost none of them use voiceovers due to shyness so a language barrier won't really be a problem.

You don't need a fancy tablet with a screen for Clip Studio Paint. I have CSP and it takes basically any type. However, I do not recommend the Wacom Intuos 3 (me and my twin have our own and the driver has TONS of issues, I have to reinstall it all the time and it makes me SO ANGRY). Get a cheap intro tablet from Amazon with a good rating. If you draw with your only your wrist, get a smaller tablet, but if you draw with sweeps of your arm, get a larger one (I recommend a larger one, but not the largest option).

Edit: I forgot to mention that Copic are alcohol-based markers, cheapo markers like Crayola are water-based. So if you buy some cheaper alternative to Copic, definitely check for reviews and make sure it is alcohol-based. There are also things like 3 color challenges that would be a good way to get used to/started on using markers to color with and not cost a ton of money for a beginner.

Retrocat

야옹~!
Aug 21, 2018
There is a color wheel on Copic's website, but I don't know how accurate it really is as the color may change depending on paper type and how saturated it is. Many Copic artists that I've seen on YouTube make their own color charts.

Copic Color Theory

Most art software that has tablet support will recognize a normal drawing tablet, unless it's one of those really cheap and obscure brands no one has ever heard of. A friend of mine had one of those really cheap ones, and her computer would never recognize it even with updated software and drivers. Beware of a "good deal" if you do consider buying a tablet.

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I’m probably not the best to give advice, hardly as experrienved as everyone else here, but I do own Copics.

I just got my first ser of Copics this year, one set of Sketch and one set of Ciao. The Ciao has lasted me quite a bit, haven’t needed refills and it’s been a few months since I got them.

Personally, I like to buy them in sets. I think it saves me money and I can’t ever justify buying a singular marker. The sets I got to start with are the Sketch 12-Piece Basic set and the Ciao 6-Piece Skin Tone set

If you’re just going for Miku, I think all you really need is blues, grays, and skin tones. I don’t know if the set route is an ideal way to purchase for you, but here what I recommend set-wise for Copics, mostly from what I could find.

- Copic Ciao 6-Piece Skin Tone Set (linked above) or the Sketch set
- Copix Sketch Blues Set
- Copic Sketch Grays Set: Cool, Neutral, or Warm (honestly might be better to get infividual for the grays, you probably don’t need 12 different shades)

You may also look into alternative, cheaper markers. I’ve heard good things about Prismacolor’s, but I only have their colored pencils so I can’t say for sure about their markers. Copic can be pretty expensive, but the results are nice. They’re the only markers I’ve tried though, so I can’t compare Them to anything.

For digital art, I’ve messed around just with a Wacom Intuos and Clip Studio Paint. They work together just fine without a display on the Intuos.

If Clip Studio is what catches your eye in terms of software, I’d recommend checking oit the Wacom Intuos Comic. That’s the one I purchased, and it comes with a license for Clip Studio. My license only ran for 2 years though, but I think I got an older version of this bundle so I don’t know if that’d make a difference. I mean, it basically gets you everything you need to get started and try it out and if the license does run out, you can invest in another for Clip Studio.

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
Wow, thanks for the responses!
I'm really unsure whether to go for digital drawing or invest more in traditional drawing. I'm totally clueless when it comes to digital art though ( as you may have noticed), but I'm starting to feel it'd be the better option in the long run, as I wouldn't be restricted on colours.

I'll have to think, I might go for digital drawing after all, but I'm not sure yet.

GreenFantasy64

カイミク || Len English || Arsloid || V5/Piapro
Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
An online site for Copic Markers that I used to go to

And if you have a Micheal's and/or Hobby Lobby's around your area, they should have Copic Markers (along with other types of Markers). Check their ads (I also signed up for Michael's so sometimes when I get the chance to go I have a coupon of 40% of an item. Or I could know any sales they are having) One time Michael's had it in their ad of having a buy 2 get 1 free off any Markers' brand which I used it for three Copic Markers. You can also try using a friend or family member with their own coupon so you can try getting a few more markers that way. :akikoloid_lili:

If you get Copic Markers don't forget to get some Sakura pens (white and black).
And than, don't store your Copic Markers standing up, lay them down as the ink would not flow down and gather there, leaving the top brush tip dry.

you want my tablet? i dont need it anymore

edit:im literally giving it to u for free
:qingxian_ani_lili:
Holy cow

Reactions: hamano

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
Well, thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. But I haven't quite made up my mind yet, and even if I go for digital drawing, I'm not yet sure which kind of tablet to go for, I need to look more into the subject of digital drawing as a whole since I'm completely unfamiliar with it.

Merry Christmas^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)