Other Maghni AI by Vocatone and Misbah Studios [Kickstarter]

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
I'm glad this team seems to be receptive and at least mostly communicative. Putting off the Kickstarter was 100% a smart move, and frankly, I question why it was even on the table. This project has all of the hallmarks of past Kickstarter campaigns gone wrong: no tangible product demos from project announcement, immense promises that strongly resemble feature creep, and 'extra' marketable work done before the product itself, i.e. character designs. (Yes, I understand that a lot of the team is sitting on dead time, but it doesn't negate the trend.) Not to imply a project can't be successful with these characteristics- they definitely can be. It wouldn't have been a good look, though.

Another thing that sorta raises my eyebrow is the apparent one programmer. Like, sure, we've seen single-developer voice synths in the past in UTAU and I think NEUTRINO, but the difference there is that NEUTRINO is a straight neural net (which this engine is not) and UTAU was in development for at least 3 years before supporting triphones. (In fairness, Ameya was developing UTAU as a hobby where this programmer has what I assume is a full-time job, but I digress.) I just hope a single-person team is enough to develop the high-quality systems they promise. Man, just... good luck, programmer. I'm rooting for you.

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
Wasn't Kanru a one man team for SV's initial release? It can be done, with the right care, knowledge, and time. Here's hoping the MAI team has that! I am cautiously optimistic. It doesn't even have to be some top tier A+++ product right out the gate, to me. Decent voicebanks with user friendly tuning and sensible phonetic editing are what I'd like. Also preferably a better engine noise sitch than CeVIO,

I'm rooting for you, MAI!!

patuk

The typo queen
Oct 8, 2019
I think we all here root for MAI to turn out well but it's important to point out it took Kanru 3 years to make the engine alone ( 5 if you count moresampler as the resampling SynthV engine def has roots in moresampler ) and on launch ( counting only in-house solo vbs for fair comparison ) it had two incomplete vbs ( Ellie and Genbu and I love Genbu but he really was rough around the edges on release ) and an UTAU port and supported 3 languages. Vocatone and Misbah's goals are larger scale than that and that's ultimately what's cauzing the skepticism :/

ah sorry to be downer, like no one here wants it to fail ofc.

Prism

Hardcore Fan
Jul 18, 2019
I would like to chime in here the amount of banks might be for testing and never see a commercial version. Kanru has said in the past that there are way more voice banks made than the ones that are commerically available. I know even vocaloid had spanish voice banks in v1

Last edited:

peaches2217

I write mediocre OliLen fanfiction.
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
I would like to chime in here the amount of banks might be for testing and never see a commercial version. Kanru has said in the past that there are way more voice banks made than the ones that are commerically available. I know even vocaloid had spanish voice banks in v1
They explicitly said they were gonna have all of them at launch though, so they're clearly meant for commercial release. You bring up a good point though: if they were made for testing and working out the kinks rather than for release, and maybe released after they had a stable engine, that would make a lot more sense.

Last edited:

Prism

Hardcore Fan
Jul 18, 2019
I wonder if they have even recorded any of the banks yet you don't really need a program finished if you have a plan for how the reclist works. It seems like they are passionate about it so they are probably making personal banks a releasing it. But it does seem like scope creep.

Reactions: mahalisyarifuddin
When I was working/translating with them, the plan before the Kickstarter got postponed was for users who had paid for a certain tier to have access to the Discord and try out the beta software/voice banks. I wonder if they will still be doing that when the engine is further along?

They have team members who are to be voice providers, so I don't think recording test voice banks is the main issue (other than the question from fans of pronunciation for various languages), it's the engine. Personally, I think that will take at least 2 years at minimum based on the timing for other synths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)