• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Merchandise Creation Poll

Fukase

Fukase and Engloid Artist/User
Apr 8, 2018
Plushies do take a lot work, but it might not be a bad idea for a trial. I also voted keychains and stickers.

razelberii

Bless the Lord, O my Soul
Apr 8, 2018
雨リカ
razzyru.com
Hey friends, our first poll is officially over!

Here are the results of the poll.

poll.png

In order from most votes to least:
Keychains: 12
Posters: 8
Stickers: 6
Buttons: 5
Other (such as plushes): 5
Clothing besides T-Shirts: 4
LINE Stickers: 3
T-Shirts: 3
Phone Case or Accessories: 1

Total: 20 votes

From what I analyze, it may be evident that:

- Keychains are a common idea and may be a strong focus point.
- Posters are another area for focus and are a much different medium from keychains.
- Other small items such as stickers and buttons are enjoyed.
- The "other" category may have been mostly related to "plushies." This is a good item to keep in mind going forward.
- There is a little bit more interested in clothing besides T-shirts as opposed to just another t-shirt.
- There does not seem to be a need to focus on items related to phones.

This helps narrow our ideas down. Keychains? Posters? Perhaps things like stickers and buttons, which could use some similar artwork even? We seem to have a good path started. I'm growing more curious as to what kind of characters we all will be seeking to see. What do you think of these results? Helpful, or do we need to consider more options?

Last edited:

WintermintP

Lead Guitar, One Minute Winter
Whoever they may be, I for certain brought up other items entirely...

Actually, looking at the results page again I noticed that an entire quarter of the people selected "other" so that's all the more reason why other merch item options should be explored besides the ones that were listed.

WintermintP

WintermintP

._.

JUST GIVE US THE DANG PLUSHIES!!!! XD

On a serious note, we need to find out which people voted for "other" and what they wanted. As for myself, I suggested guitars, flags, and I'm going to make another suggestion: mugs. Okay, it might not be all that popular of an option, but the whole point was that I wanted something fresh.

WintermintP

razelberii

Apr 8, 2018
雨リカ
razzyru.com
Heck, guitars would be awesome, but that's not a possible option.
"Due to expense, skill, etc., creating figures, expensive items, and other large physical objects will not be an option."

We don't have the world's budget or company, so unfortunately we can only do small, such as flags and mugs. Those could be cool, I like that.
I have gone over and looked through posts and noted what "Other" options were noticed.

- Plushies (5 posts)
- Mugs (1)
- Flags (1)
- Guitar Picks (2)
- Shoulder/messenger bags (1)

ZAR mentioned a hoodie in regards to the clothing besides T-shirt option. It doesn't fall under "Other", but I feel it is worth noting. (Also mentioned Christmas pullovers too)
Hamano also shared Baseball caps, and mentioned specifically vinyl/window stickers in regards to Stickers as well.

Plushies were mentioned 5 times when looking at the previous posts, so it's definitely something we should consider.
I also want to ask, What are everyone's favorite kind of plushies? There are a handful of different kinds, whether it be chibi/full, crochet/fabric/other, and, well, I think I just need to learn more about plushies in general...:xinhua_lili:

I believe now we should no longer continue suggesting other options, unless there's a good reason behind it. It wouldn't make sense to make a product that only a few can/will buy, when things such as creating a keychain that showed a lot of interest is an option. I am currently looking for products to reach a large audience, which is another reason for the next poll. What character(s) are people seeking in terms of merchandise? Focusing on this may be more profitable than focusing on just one's own favorite character.

Now, these are only my thoughts. As always I am curious what everyone has to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreenFantasy64

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
I voted other for the plushies, though I mentioned that before.

When it comes to that though, I think it'd be most effective for you to take them on a commission basis, though it'd be pricey for the commissioner -- the cost of designing a pattern for the plush + the materials to make it, the labor of actually making it, etc... that's the best way I can see going about it, and it'd be good for the commissioner too to request merch of whoever they want if their favorite isn't popular enough for the other options.

(To answer the question, I really like chibi plushies!)

For keychains and posters, you could kinda just make merch of the most popular options (which you could make polls for) and make a batch of them at once to sell as people buy.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I'm just throwing this out there, but my artist friend used to make plushies for commission (they were people's fursonas, so they would have crazy add-ons like wings and unique colors/markings). She would have a master pattern and cut each piece of fabric to match (you have to sort of sew inside out if that makes sense and then stuff it) and tweak it for different species. Other artists I've seen who make plushies also have a master pattern, however, they could make larger and larger versions of said plushy, but it would increase the cost by a lot the bigger it got. So, not only is the labor expensive, but also the fabric itself plus the stuffing, not to count shipping.

Since Vocaloids tend to have over-the-top designs, it would require a lot of different fabrics for each character. Someone like Rana would be a nightmare in terms of labor/cost (skin color, eye color, hair color, each outfit color aspect...). How would the plushie maker design stuff like Miku's floating hairbands, for example? My friend would make really small plushies (about 4 inches, but it would still take her a couple days, about 7 hrs per day, with her friend helping cut the fabric to complete them). I think a "normal" sized plushy made by one person would cost at least $80 if one person alone would make it. I don't know how much money you would save going through a plushy-making company.

razelberii

Apr 8, 2018
雨リカ
razzyru.com
Hm. It sounds like creating plushies could be a challenge.
It does look like there is more interest in chibi plushies.

Now, this does help. From what I observe, chibi plushies could allow for some details to be omitted. Besides, a super-chibi plush is possible (one with very little detail, a simple face, etc.), especially if at a smaller size.
I own some Miku plushies myself, and from what I see, the floating ponytail looks fine. It's not actually floating (that would be cool though), but it works well to still make for a great product.:miku_chickadee:

Now, I wonder if something related to a Vocaloid is possible for a plush. Such as Miku's signature negi/leek or Fukase's "Point" character. It will not be the same as an actual Vocaloid character, but this does save fabric and possible time.
I at least discuss it as it could be a good starting point for learning more about sewing. It's not a focus, but I wonder if such items as these there is interest in? If I am to sew, this may be where I would need to start. Simple, then grow to more complex designs/patterns.

For example, if I were to sew a Fukase:fukase_lili:, I may give him a simple white coat without some details on the coat. It certainly would not be the same as a plushie that has all of these details, but for sake of starting out, I do not think I would add them.
So, I think there are ways to get around these factors, it will just mean some parts will be taken away from the true design. In the end it will be balancing quality and resources.

How true to the design do you guys feel merchandise should be?
For me personally, I find myself enjoying an artist's own interpretation of a character, meaning some parts of the design will be altered (such as height changes, hair size, etc.). So, I suppose one could phrase it as, I enjoy some similarities to the design, but it does not need every detail or part, or to be a match.

Also, sorry I am asking a lot of questions. These discussions are bringing up some good points I think it would be good to point out. I have been considering using Google Docs to make the next poll, and might put the design-related question in as well.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I agree that chibis would be easier. But how about something odd like Disney Tsum Tsums? That would be even easier.

What if you did something like this: Pick 3 Vocaloids, then give them a simple matching-ish outfit (like white dresses with a waistband that matches their hair color, for example), then the outfits would be easier. I think people are used to Vocaloid "modules", so a different design would be accepted.

Doing something related to them like a leek plushy is a good idea, too.

Edit: Oh, since I realized this is sewing related, what about something like a hand drawn design printed on a small pillow? That can sit on beds and be cute and stuff. Easier to get made than plushies, too, since companies that print mugs/T-Shirts/phone cases can also do pillows.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Doing something related to them like a leek plushy is a good idea, too.
I happened to actually see a leek plushy earlier. Still a good idea in general, though. You could even do the leek plushy, but just be aware that there's existing competition.

GreenFantasy64

カイミク || Len English || Arsloid || V5/Piapro
Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
I voted for plushies because I would love to one day own a Kaito plushy. :rion_lili: Plus if you do Fukase and other Vocaloids you can do it similar to Kaito, not a lot of details (Plus I'm not a big fan of Fukase looking 'damage' sometimes ^^;)
But if you can do a Cantarella Grace Kaito and/or Miku holy cow that would be awesome and you have amazing skills.

razelberii

Apr 8, 2018
雨リカ
razzyru.com
I happened to actually see a leek plushy earlier. Still a good idea in general, though. You could even do the leek plushy, but just be aware that there's existing competition.
Ah, yes. I have seen something like those before, which was the reason I mentioned earlier. So, if one were to create it, one should research and make sure it doesn't resemble too strongly to any other leek plushies that may be out there.

Thanks for bringing that up, that's definitely a good thing to keep in mind, mobius!

Reactions: mobius017

WintermintP

Let's start with the really popular characters.

If we get the greenlight from Crypton, the first character to target as far as merch goes would be downright Miku. She is the very face of the entire franchise and there are a bunch of good reasons why.

If not, my first target of suggestion would have to be Avanna, Dex/Daina, or the next most popular Vocaloid from whichever company that gives out the greenlight.

@RazzyRu Also. On that list.

- Plushies (5 posts)
- Mugs (1)
- Flags (1)
- Guitar Picks (2)
- Shoulder/messenger bags (1)
You forgot flags.

That aside, I'd love to see producers' symbols as flags as well. A Scythe of Luna flag would be a really interesting one. Although as for One Minute Winter flags I wish I could make them myself...

WintermintP

razelberii

Apr 8, 2018
雨リカ
razzyru.com
My dude, Wintermint, don't worry about suggestions yet~

We're gonna set up a poll on June 2. That poll will be for characters. Would you be able to wait until then, if that is alright?
I'm sorry to cause such a wait, I have some other projects to take care of. I wish not to inconvenience everyone.
I hope this extra time will help everyone think about and analyze character decisions.

Hey-o, if you got your characters all ready though, that's super! You can share them in the poll then.

Also, yuppers, the flags are there. I looked at all the posts. I saw your one post for flags, I didn't see any other posts at the moment for it.
Things like logos make sense to do. We're focusing on Vocaloid merchandise, but I was considering putting an option on the poll of what Vocaloid-related things would one want to see besides a Vocaloid. (Ex. Voiceroid, UTAU, Vocaloid's mascots/items, Producers, etc.)

I think Producer items would involve getting permission from the producer, but that may be easier than getting a whole character license.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)