• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Miku Expo 2023 VR

nene

OSTER project fan!!!
Oct 13, 2023
Does anyone know if footage from the pre-shows exist? I missed all of them... The concert was so so amazing though!!!

Reactions: MagicalMiku

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
That show was honestly really really good!! I was fortunate enough to attend both in VR (via Google Cardboard) and in the standard format.

Rather than being a 360 format, the VR experience was presented on a sort of curved screen that filled a bit more than a person's normal field of view. That didn't hamper the experience you received at all, though. Everywhere you looked, you got a marvelous feeling of depth. Usually, you felt like you were placed between 2-7 feet or so from the virtual singers. And the environment was truly immersive. Windows floated in front of you. Puzzle pieces exploded past you. VR attendees were placed directly on an elevator that descended from the main show floor to the lower level underneath and were able to stand in a small field of grass and flowers with Miku while she sang Doriko's "1+1," and the show's lights, lasers, and explosion of confetti literally passed over you (with accurate brief moments of accompanying photo glare for the lights). An enormous moon literally appeared over your head during "Vivid," and circles of overhead lights hovered up and down above you during several songs. The band members even moved up and down in their dedicated boxes during one song near the end of the show! From my unbelievably close perspective, I could have reached up and touched Kaito's hand, and I literally felt the breeze from Miku's twin tails and Kaito's scarf whipping past my face at numerous points (though I'm sure that was some amazing extrapolation of my imagination). The only possible detraction from the VR experience was a certain amount of compromise in the area of the visual quality, and that was likely due partly, if not entirely, to the VR equipment I was using. The VR and standard experiences did seem to use different videos entirely, and I'm not sure what role that might have played, if any. However, I do know that, since it worked off of a phone, the Cardboard unit I used had a lower resolution than my TV did. Having seen what things looked like in the standard experience, I'd love to see what my PSVR, or even something like an Oculus, could do with the show. Standard experience resolution with the VR show's immersiveness would be breathtaking! That small item aside (particularly if you hadn't seen the standard experience), the VR format was, for its immersiveness and the way it brought you intimately into the same space as the virtual singers, the premiere way of seeing the show--at least in terms of how the show was really intended to be seen.

The qualifier on that last sentence is very intentional, because "premiere" implies "best." However, the truth is that the VR and standard formats were very evenly-matched alternatives. In choosing one, you gained something in which that format out-excelled the other, but you also gave up the ways in which the alternative format out-excelled the first.

The standard format show absolutely excelled in its clarity. I'm not a person who counts pixels or dropped frames, but the standard format show was rich, clear, detailed, butter-smooth (I mean this in how the items were illustrated at rest, although there was no jerkiness, either.), and gorgeous. Every detail of every item in the show's elaborate stage environment showed all of its details perfectly. And viewers of the standard format weren't left out of the VR experience. Via dramatic cinematographic camera movements, the viewer zoomed around the virtual environment, letting them see every angle of the stage and building excitement. I could honestly see where some people might prefer the standard experience because it exclusively had these sorts of sequences.

Speaking of the stage's details, they were extrordinary. Everything in both formats was beautifully illustrated. A castle-like backdrop of myriad shapes, with a rotating ferris wheel behind it. Clear decorative lines and lights on the band member boxes, each in a different color during the band introductions. Immersive stage effects of lasers, flame, stalagmites with moving content projected on them. A sky that seemed to change with the passage of time.

The setlist also was very good. I had some audio issues that were my own fault during the first show I watched, which unfortunately colored my perceptions somewhat (As the Buddhists would tell you, my thoughts are forever my own worst enemy, and I know it.); however, with each viewing, I liked the songs chosen better and better. I've had "Plaything" running in my head periodically since the show ended. I also really enjoyed "Imaginary Love Story," Meiko's solo, Rin's solo, "1+1," and "Vivid." And I absolutely LOVED the inclusion of Clean Tears' "Acceleration"--I never expected to hear a Clean Tears song in a concert, EVER. (Not because there's anything wrong with their music, but because trance seemed too ambient to be a likely genre for a live show.)

In basically every respect, despite the rockiness associated with its Kickstarter campaign, Miku Expo 2023 VR acquitted itself with aplomb. It was a triumph of craftsmanship when expectations were at their most rigorous, executed by the show's producers in an incredibly unforgiving environment. As a backer, I am incredibly gratified by their efforts, and very pleased.

I really hope that this isn't the last online Miku event that we see. I would be very excited to see another event like either this one or 2021 Online! (Bringing Miku and friends into the real world has a distinct kind of charm from bringing us into their world; the two are really completely different things.)

Thank you very much to everyone who made this show possible!

P.S.: I would also like to make a shout-out for Digital Stars. There were lots of great sets there; I particularly enjoyed the ones from nostraightanswer, Creep-P, and Synthion!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)