• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID New ST MEDiA VOCALOID Crowdfunding Project

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
ST MEDiA, the company behind UNI and distributors of SeeU, have announced through a contact that they'll be holding a crowdfunding project for a new male Korean VOCALOID5 vocal. I'm not very good at Korean, but essentially:

This is the original tweet, I'm personally familiar with the author and know they have contact with ST MEDiA. They were asked by the company to ask for reward suggestions for a new Korean VOCALOID crowdfunder. Continuing, they say that they're currently preparing the project which will come soon, they're also taking general suggestions too. Already suggested rewards include an MMD model, a design material book (like an artbook), a voice pack, a Korean study guide, a usage guide/tutorial, and demo song files. Also suggested has been additional phonemes. This tweet in Japanese says it'll be a V5 vocal, and they're also considering things like hologram concerts and even a VOICEROID project. If they are fully funded, they're considering additional languages and appends as stretch rewards.

Regarding other synthesizers, this tweet basically says that while they've heard about CeVIO and SynthV the staff member wasn't very familiar with recent singing synthesizers. They've chosen to do VOCALOID because it's still the most well-known in Korea. This tweet says they're already consulting with Yamaha, so it should be developed if successful.

Last edited:

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
Yeah there's a chance it could be VOCALOID, but we'll have to wait and see as I suspect they probably haven't negotiated it properly with Yamaha yet. If they have then kudos to them, they'll be making one of the last new VOCALOIDs.

___

Oct 8, 2019
If they have then kudos to them, they'll be making one of the last new VOCALOIDs.
Even if very likely scenario is this a good mindset to have :/ ? We weren't expecting much after Ling and Yanhe's V5 updates and it's still cool we're potentially getting something new, espeacially something so niche as korean voicebank and shouldn't that be celebrated instead of seeing the worst in this scenario..because..yes..we know but we should support and love what we ( could potentially ) have now.

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
Even if very likely scenario is this a good mindset to have :/ ? We weren't expecting much after Ling and Yanhe's V5 updates and it's still cool we're potentially getting something new, espeacially something so niche as korean voicebank and shouldn't that be celebrated instead of seeing the worst in this scenario..because..yes..we know but we should support and love what we ( could potentially ) have now.
I'm allowed to have an opinion based on my experience? It's not even the main point of the thread, why not talk about the voicebank instead of an offhand remark instead of policing what someone else is saying?

Anyway, speaking of the voicebank itself, it'll be pretty cool to hear a male Korean vocal. I'd expect they'll probably go with a standard idol-y voice type, so it'll be pretty easy for them to attract fans. Hoping they open the crowdfunder soon.

Lemony

The Poor
Jun 26, 2020
Hell
Fascinating! As someone who is Korean, I'd be interested, although if it's on Vocaloid5 I'm not sure my wallet could handle it. :arsloid_ani_lili: Nothing against SeeU and Uni, but I think a male korean vocaloid would be a nice change of pace. :sonika_ani_lili: I'll contribute if I can!

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Thank you very much for sharing this info (on VocaVerse and Twitter)! This is very exciting news, a lot of people have been hoping for a Korean male vocal from a popular company (as in not an UTAU) in order to use him with the currently available female Korean vocals.

I personally hope he is an older teen to 20-something adult range, it would be cool if he seemed similar to currently popular human Korean idols. (No more shoutas, please...) ^^;;;; I'm still learning hangul, but I feel like it would be good for the community to contribute to their crowdfund if international users can contribute to it. Maybe if someone can speak Korean, they could suggest that ST MEDiA consider which platform they do the crowdfunding on so we can help out (unlike what happened with Rikka).

Lemony

The Poor
Jun 26, 2020
Hell
K-pop is so huge that a Korean Vocaloid has the potential to create a Miku-like wave of popularity - if pulled off correctly.

P.S. Does anyone remember when BTS were the backup dancers for SeeU? We're in a different era.
Well, the big thing about Kpop is the perceived personal connection between the singer and the fan. Most Kpop fans these days are not so much into the music as they as into the person singing the music. It revolves around stan culture. This would be a problem for vocaloid since they aren't real people. It's difficult to compare Kpop and vocaloid.

Regardless, let's hope vocaloid can be successful in Korea! :ia_ani_lili:

___

Oct 8, 2019
This will especially open up new possibilities for producers if it becomes a thing! Remember when Tianyi and Yanhe were the only chnloids around for a bit and Yanhe substituted for the male counterpart dfghj korean side didn't even have that :ring_ani_lili: I hope this becomes reality.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I've been waiting for a male Korean VB for so many years. I hope this crowdfund pulls through, especially since Korean VBs are still super lacking for Vocaloid. Chinese VBs have increased overtime, and while Spanish VBs are very dead right now, at least we have two females and one male for Spanish. Korean has been stuck on the same two females for ages now.

Exemplar

Veteran
May 17, 2018
Yeah there's a chance it could be VOCALOID, but we'll have to wait and see as I suspect they probably haven't negotiated it properly with Yamaha yet. If they have then kudos to them, they'll be making one of the last new VOCALOIDs.
This is Yamaha were talking about. It's possible they have forgotten they made vocaloid by now.

I also want to add if synthv did get korean language support it'll probably be after the Dreamtonics folks get a reassurance they they're going to get at least 3 to 4 voicebanks over the course of 12 to 18 months.

Last edited:

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Ngl, I kinda hope this will trigger something like Longya did for Vocaloid China: Tianyi and Yanhe and, to a lesser extent, Ling, were already deeply loved and popular, but with the release of Longya, Chinese Vocaloids saw a massive explosion in popularity and fans, especially here in the West. This could be a great way to regenerate interest in Korean Vocaloids, and, y'know, Vocaloid in general. If nothing else, if the VB ends up being good enough, it might quiet down some of the vOcAlOiD iS dYiNg discourse, which I'm all here for.

Hnnnnnnngh, I've got SUPER high hopes for this! I do really hope he becomes another Longya, in spirit at least. Gimme those quality male vocals! :ia_ani_lili:

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
1594427703286.png

For those who have expressed disinterest or disappointment that the new vocal will be on Vocaloid, it looks like alternatives are, in fact, in consideration! The entire survey has been translated, so I'm sure they'd appreciate the international feedback.

I can't help but wonder if development for alternative synths has always been something they've been considering, or if it's a response to all the pissed-off fans decrying Vocaloid... I've discussed in private many times how much I'd like to see Korean vocals on other synths,especially SynthV, but I'd hate to get one just because Twitter has so many hard feelings towards V5, ngl. I, for one, would love him to be multi-synth, if possible.

Sep 21, 2019
You know, with the popularity of BTS I can imagine if they give this new vocal the right voice type that this he will probably be a hit! And since they may consider a different engine, please, St Media, put him on Synth V Studio!! I wanna see both this new vocal and Synth V Studio thrive!

(Also, please, for goodness sake, make him a deeper (for lack of a better word) male vocal. I love Len’s voice to bits, but that doesn’t mean I want another voice of that type!!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)