• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Shows/movies You like that most people seem to dislike?

Sep 21, 2019
Thought this would be a fun thread, so why not?

I like a lot of Disney sitcoms that people say are garbage (although, I've realized after going back and watching some of them that whoever was writing these shows was a bit out of touch with the way the world works today. Like in the show, Jessie, the smart kid gets bullied and called a nerd for being smart and is portrayed as a loner no one wants to be friends with but... I can't name a time I've seen someone get called a nerd in derogatory way for being smart...?)

I also liked the Incredibles 2 movie a lot. People said it was bad in comparison to the original, but I really liked it and thought it was a great movie! (One I recommend if you like action or superheroes.)

Uhhh... can't think of any others off the top of my head here.

Reactions: Aia

Twillby

Longtime Listener
Apr 8, 2018
US
To be honest I kind of enjoyed the Minions movie from what I remember (I randomly watched it once in the middle of the night when it was on Netflix).

And I kind of like the second and third Matrix movies? Not as much as the first maybe but I still used to be super into them back in high school.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is that Maleficent movie that came out a handful of years ago. I thought it was pretty good, I didn't feel that strongly about it but I thought it was a fine movie, but apparently a lot of people detested it. I also never watched the original Sleeping Beauty so perhaps that had something to do with it.
Also if we're including anime, the Black Rock Shooter anime. The OVA was pretty well liked the but the anime itself was actually very disliked from what I saw. I think the execution was a little sloppy, they tried cramming way too much into just 8 episodes and a lot of it didn't make a ton of sense, but I still enjoyed the series and thought the concept was very cool.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
To be honest I kind of enjoyed the Minions movie from what I remember
I unashamedly loved the Minions movie. It didn't try to take itself seriously; it knew it was all slapstick and no plot, separate from the more emotional nature of the Despicable Me series, so I thought in that respect it did really well. It's fun to just sit back, watch, and laugh!

Also, I'm a hardcore defender of the Hobbit movies. Did they really need to make three movies out of a single book? No, but my God they did good with it. Thorin's death is one of the most well-acted death scenes in modern cinema and you can't convince me otherwise.

Reactions: Aia and Twillby

Aia

DDR-tist
Jul 14, 2019
The Internet™
I also liked the Incredibles 2 movie a lot. People said it was bad in comparison to the original, but I really liked it and thought it was a great movie! (One I recommend if you like action or superheroes.)
I love that movie too! In fact, I think they did a really good job on that one; they really continued from the plot from the first really smoothly in my opinion. I didn't know that a lot of people hated it tbh. From the reaction of everyone at the movies with me the day it came out, I thought a lot of people loved it.

Anyway, I really loved Frozen 2 more than the first. I see a lot of people say that the first sucked and didn't even deserve a sequel, but I was so mesmerized by the whole thing when it first came out. The animation, the plot, everything. I felt like I was ten again lolol

Another one is also Steven Universe. I think most of y'all are familiar as to why people would hate this show, but I basically grew up with this show ever since it first aired. It taught me a lot which I believe a lot of people seem to overlook. The show was initially targeted at kids show, after all.

That's all I can think of for now, but I basically love a LOT of shows/movies that the whole world deems to be the worst in history. I'm just a gal with poor taste :teto_lili:

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
l was just talking about this with someone!!! honestly i didn't see anything wrong, i thought it was REALLY REALLY GOOD??? and thought THAT'S how you do a sequel. this is the first time I'm hearing that people didn't like it? looks like it did fine according to rotten tomatoes and IMDb though. its on netflix now, so you can put your money on the fact i'm watching it tonight.

Are there any Pirates of the Caribbean diehards here too?? if so, your opinion on Dead Men Tell No Tales? i personally liked it, saw it in theatres the day it came out. it held up good and there was nothing i really disliked about it. definitely not as good as the older ones, but i did genuinely enjoy watching it. apparently rotten tomatoes gave it a 30%??? metacritic 39%? although i will say that i did NOT enjoy watching my favourite character be killed off!! >:( if that's the reason for the low ratings then i deem that shit valid!!!!

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I was surprised to learn that some people hated the sequel, because I really enjoyed it as well. I especially liked how it expanded on the idea of how a world where supers were banned from working functioned, because it showed more or the conclusions from such a thing. But I do agree with the detractors that the villain was nowhere near as good as Syndrome (but then again, how do you top Syndrome?).

Personal example: I feel like the only person in the Sailor Moon fandom who enjoyed Sailor Moon Crystal, and didn't like Sailor Moon R. :/

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
I wouldn't feel bad about liking a movie that's widely disliked, often people are biased against them for reasons unrelated to its quality. For example:

1. People are annoyed it's everywhere (Frozen, Minions)
2. It challenges social norms, irritating bigots (Steven Universe)
3. Male/female double standards (Incredibles 2)
4. It's a sequel/reboot of something people have a lot of nostalgia for (too many examples to list)

I can imagine all these films being received much more positively if released in a different context. :sonika_ani_lili:

For me personally, I really enjoyed The Last Jedi.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
For me personally, I really enjoyed The Last Jedi.
I adored the Sequel Trilogy, all three movies! I was honestly shocked at how hostile people received Rise of Skywalker. Last Jedi, I understood (it took me a second viewing before I decided I liked it), but I thought RoS was a perfect ending.

Reactions: lIlI

Raku

Aspiring Fan
Jun 16, 2018
Indonesia
Collateral Beauty. When I first watched the movie on HBO I really like it and didn't realize how bad its review until I check it online. Granted it has glaring flaws but I think if you're willing to dive into the movie/main character's position it's not that bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)