• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID Vocaloid characters' personalities? + Headcanon

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
I'd like to hear what kind of thoughts you have about the personalities of Vocaloid characters?
Most Vocaloids don't have any official personalities and fans have often given them headcanon personalities. Now, of course some don't, and many (including me) think it's always dependant on the song, story, manga etc. they appear in.
So, when you think of a Vocaloid, do you like to imagine a personality for them? If you do, what kind of personalities and traits you think they have?
Let's just go with a general personality and not song-specific etc. And remember no headcanon is wrong and we might have very different views. This thread is just for fun!

Here's what I'd imagine the Cryptonloids like: (I'm not so familiar with other Vocaloids so I won't say anything about them)

Hatsune Miku: Cheerful, gentle, sweet and compassionate. She's helpful and a bit childish sometimes, gets along with pretty much everyone. Also hard-working and always does her best for her fans.

Kagamine Rin: Energetic and positive, childish. She likes to tease others and pull pranks, especially on Len, but she doesn't mean any harm with it. She has a kind heart, but is somewhat tsundere. Also stubborn.

Kagamine Len: Rin's twin brother (I see them as twins) who's more mature and "cool" but get's dragged into Rin's antics, and he likes playing with her sister despite trying to act mature.

Megurine Luka: A quiet personality, who's a bit shy. She's gentle and caring and acts as like a bigger sister for Miku, Rin and Len. Smart and educated.

Kaito: A bit goofy sometimes, but gets serious when needed. He cares a lot about the others and likes to think of himself as kind of a fatherly figure for the previously mentioned vocaloids.

Meiko: The "mother" of the Cryptonloids, always there to support the others. Caring, but easily angered. She likes to drink, but it's not a problem for her.

Hatsune-hakase

Hɐʇsnuǝ-ɥɐʞɐsǝ
Apr 8, 2018
Your descriptions for the personalities of the Cryptonloids are pretty much my own interpretations of them.

I'll add that I think of Gumi as a bit of a wild girl who loves to party and has something of a rockstar personality, but this is tempered by her being a very good and kind person at heart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elsa12TMNT

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I'd like to hear what kind of thoughts you have about the personalities of Vocaloid characters?
Hatsune Miku: Cheerful, gentle, sweet and compassionate. She's helpful and a bit childish sometimes, gets along with pretty much everyone. Also hard-working and always does her best for her fans.

Kagamine Rin: Energetic and positive, childish. She likes to tease others and pull pranks, especially on Len, but she doesn't mean any harm with it. She has a kind heart, but is somewhat tsundere. Also stubborn.

Kagamine Len: Rin's twin brother (I see them as twins) who's more mature and "cool" but get's dragged into Rin's antics, and he likes playing with her sister despite trying to act mature.

Megurine Luka: A quiet personality, who's a bit shy. She's gentle and caring and acts as like a bigger sister for Miku, Rin and Len. Smart and educated.

Kaito: A bit goofy sometimes, but gets serious when needed. He cares a lot about the others and likes to think of himself as kind of a fatherly figure for the previously mentioned vocaloids.

Meiko: The "mother" of the Cryptonloids, always there to support the others. Caring, but easily angered. She likes to drink, but it's not a problem for her.
Your interpretations of the Cryptonloids are fairly in line with mine, but I see Miku as additionally a very eccentric person secretly. Like, "I make faces and spout quotes that could become internet memes" eccentric.

Regarding Gumi, I've always thought of her as a ditzy dreamer on the outside, but surprisingly a highly intelligent mad scientist on the inside. (It's the goggles, that's why...) Her ultimate dream is to build a time machine, and she's best friends with Miku because their personalities are similar. (Eccentric for Miku, ditzy for Gumi.)

For Gakupo, I interpret him as a fellow goofball with Kaito, with a love of dancing. However, he's deeply in love with Luka, and when either she or any of his other friends are threatened, he's always prepared to take out his sword and kick ass.

For IA, she's somewhat similar to Gumi in that she appears ditzy and laidback to others at first, but that's probably because she's from another planet where her species can float (hence the apparent ditziness). She's also very idealistic, and can sense great potential in mankind. Her little sister, ONE, however, is much more grounded, serious and cynical than IA, and she struggles to look beyond humanity's common vices.

BLANAero

Watakushi, Aero de gozaimasu!
Apr 8, 2018
Montréal, Canada
Miku: woop woop
Rin: Tadaaaaah
Len:FOOOO (english o)
Kaito:"Copy paste Naoto Fuuga onomatopeas if it exists"
Meiko:Saaah (end whispery? kind of)
Luka:bvwooo (japanese o)
IA:Sweeee (soft)
ONE:... (what the fuck are you guys doing)

GumI:katcha!!
Gackpo:Yoooooo!
Lapis: Weeeeee!!! (english e)
Merli:...(What the fuck is Lapis doing)
Fukase: ieeeee (japanese e,monotone)
Otomachi Una: LET'S A GOOOOOO
flower: SHUT UUUUUUUUUP

Last edited:

Pomelo

In 2D hell
Apr 8, 2018
I think my favourite headcannon that I used to talk about a bit on VO is the idea that Galaco, SeeU, and Mayu are like the most insufferable group of sisters (Galaco and Mayu being fully related, and SeeU being their half sister).
They're basically all divas. Galaco and SeeU are always at each other's throats and more loud/abrasive/attention whore-y (they're always trying to upstage each other, ex. Galaco dying her hair weird colours to stand out from her siblings). Mayu is a little more silent/reserved, but can be really blunt and scathing- she'd be the type to calmly rip you apart. She doesn't have a very good opinion of her older sisters, but they all care about each other somewhere deep down (probably).

Luka and Lily are wild party girls and thrill seekers, they're always up to (not PG-13) shenanigans. I feel like they'd be really intimidating in a normal setting, but they'd also be the first people who'd care for you if you had a hangover or something. They probably know a bunch of crazy life hacks too.

Uhhhh I think I also had the headcannon of Tonio and Prima being cousins, and both of them are total perfectionists and clean freaks. They get along pretty well in social settings, but they can't cohabit together at all because it'd just be constant microaggressions over, like, a small spot missed while cleaning the counter. Prima's also pretty elitist/snobby, so most people don't care for her. Tonio's more of a cool bro type around friends, but he's terrible with women (he becomes a stuttering mess). At the same time I can also just picture Tonio being a whiny mess who overshares everything, so who knows. (Me too Tonio)

Last edited:

LeahC54

New Fan
Apr 16, 2018
Here are some of the headcanons that come to mind right now. There may be more which I might update this post with.

• Miku - I've always pictured Miku as a virtual 'diva' in the negative sense as well as in the sense of being famous. I think her popularity would have gotten to her head a bit, and I can just imagine her acting sweet and cute in the public eye, but backstage actually being a real pain to work with, and she looks down on the lesser-known voicebanks.
  • Rin and Len - I view them as like brother and sister, always rubbing each other the wrong way. The former loves to tease and mess about, and the latter wants to be more cool and grown-up. Also, I see Rin as right-handed and Len as left-handed.
  • Kaito - not the brightest bulb in the box. Quite simple and 'sarcasm-blind', and often the brunt of the other characters' jokes for initially being a commercial failure.
  • Meiko - always drinking (often with Lily), and sometimes violent.
  • Luka - the long-suffering Cryptonloid who just wishes the others would shut up and behave themselves. Deep down quite timid. She was the one who taught English to the other Cryptonloids.
  • Gakupo - noble-like Japanese gentleman. Mysterious and almost intimidating. Speaks very formally and tends to value tradition and true art.
  • Gumi - very down-to-earth and humble, wants to support the other voicebanks and keep Miku from getting too big-headed.
  • Otomachi Una - very sassy, precocious kid
  • Oliver - polite, timid - has an image of a 'pure British choirboy'. As a result, very impressionable and naive.
  • SeeU - a disgraced voicebank with a tarnished reputation after being filmed blackmailing someone (like her voice provider). Bitter that UNI has 'replaced' her as the hit Korean voicebank.
  • vflower - tomboyish rock girl with an almost anarchic view on things - has a cold, aloof demeanour and doesn't care what others think of her or want her to do.
  • The voicebanks that don't have an official avatar/character associated with them (e.g. VY1, VY2, Leon, Lola etc.) - I imagine them being the sort that like to sing as their passion, but want to stay away from the public eye and not be public performers.
  • I get the impression that softer vocals like Kokone and Zunko are quite shy, with the latter being very humanitarian.
  • As stupid as this sounds I view Tone Rion and Yumemi Nemu (the voicebank, not the provider herself) as the same person - the former is a character played by the latter (technically applies irl too).
  • I picture Azuki and Matcha as a potential item for some reason.
  • Haruno Sora - lesbian, narcissistic, loves bathing in hot springs (if that demo song is anything to go by), cannot keep a secret.

Last edited:

RawBeansP

feng yi supremacy
Apr 8, 2018
elsewhere looking for oarfish
I didn't see one of these yet and thought that this should be brought back too

Talk about your Vocaloid (and/or general vocal software) headcanons!

for me (spoilered for size lol)

Luka: I like to think that Luka is this naive older sister type, someone who loves to cheer other people on but is way too trusting of others esp strangers. She often just hands out her phone number to literally anybody who asks bc she doesn't think much of it (much to the rest of the Cryptonloids' dismay) and so she always has to change her phone number making it really hard for anybody to actively reach her lol. She's the type the others love to invite to family parties but they can't take her anywhere lol

Prima: I like to HC Prima as being pretty tall, like almost 6 feet. I think she's much more mature and responsible than Luka, and she's really into elegant things like flower arranging and fencing. She's also really slender with a bit of muscle from all that fencing and other activities. Prima is levelheaded and is able to talk most anybody down in a heated moment. She's also like suuuper strong and can kick your ass, but you wouldn't know unless you picked a fight with her lol

Kaito: he's actually kinda the opposite from the popular fanon idea of being a clumsy but lovable idiot. in my mind Kaito is much darker, much more lonely and almost even grumpy and reclusive. He's been betrayed by the fandom and is scared of getting close to others, but he has a small group of close friends. it takes a lot for him to open up and when he does he's actually kinda sweet, albeit a bit sarcastic. he's really good with technology and can see when people are bullshitting him or lying

Zola Project: they exist. no one really knows them tho lol. they entered the idol scene hoping to make it big but ended up just doing concerts for birthday parties. Kyo is the most levelheaded of the three with a greater sense of responsibility almost like an older brother, he's always looking out for the other two and trying his best to get word out about their group. Outside of the group he's good friends with Kanon. Wil is the tallest and tries really hard to push this edgy look but he's actually a huge sweetheart with a huge fear of bugs and dogs (he's not so big into Dex lol). Outside of the group he's good friends with Lumi and Songman. Yuu outwardly seems sweet and charming but when you get to know him he's very tongue in cheek and rude, always pushing others down behind their backs (he gets into fights with Wil a lot). Outside of the group the only person who puts up with his shit is Anon lol. The group is in a casual rivalry with AnoKano, who are doing worse than them lol

Nemu: a very outgoing girl who's super quirky and always tries her best. bc of her bubbly seemingly naive personality people often assume that Nemu doesn't really notice others too well when in actuality she is very observant and knows far more than she lets on. from afar she looks like an idiot but she's very smart with some of the highest scores in her grade second only to Kanon. she took a strong liking to Anon, who she quickly became friends with and eventually started dating. Despite Anon's protests Nemu can see past Yuu's feigned charm and despises him

Anon: a somewhat childish, quiet girl. she is lazy and seems to always have her mind off elsewhere; although much like Nemu, Anon sees and knows all. Her grades are some of the worst amongst her peers and only makes it by with the help of Nemu, Komachi and Kanon. she is very forgetful and often loses track of important tasks. Despite being somewhat aloof Anon is very wise and can tell when someone is genuine or when someone is bad, and so despite Yuu's ugly personality she knows he is genuinely her friend. She was approached by Nemu on the beginning of her first year, became good friends, and eventually started dating

Reactions: Lille

GreenFantasy64

カイミク || Len English || Arsloid || V5/Piapro
Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
Ooh~ boy, time to shine some headcanon that I made today for Mirai. :daina_lili:

For Mirai, I'm going to headcanon her as the source of Rin and Len clones experiment. (Just to try to lessen the thought of 'She sounds like Rin' every time I hear her voice) One reason for that (and is a good reason that in VV Discord some liked) is that in the future where Miku is from, Music is dying, so Mirai creates two clones of her (maybe she is losing her voice or something) and Rin and Len are born. So Rin and Len go with Miku back to the past to fix the future.

@uncreepy 's quote (because I like hers too and is what gave me the above reason (It made my mind blown away when I got that reason of Rin and Len's existence from Mirai (^,^)/):
since being a twin is fun/useful and we always say we wish there were more of us (like at least 1 or 2 more so we can get more art done), it would probably be fun being a clone. Unless some evil scientists were involved that wanted them to do something specific and treated them bad. But it could just be that since Komachi is so cool, having 2 more (Rin and Len) would help spread more good music. That's just my idea...
...then for the music video fans are dressing up like them cause they're getting the Komachi bug, music fever is spreading
But yeah, it could be a good story or a tragic story for that headcanon above. :kiyoteru_lili:

Move->Forward

🔹🔷🔹🔷🔹
Mar 25, 2018
Currently there is no Mod online, but I'll @Move->Forward so she can see this when she gets on and decided to merge them. Hi, Move by the way and sorry to bother you on this. :kokone_lili:
Threads merged!

And since I'm here, I suppose I can say that...

I usually see Kaito as super sweet. He has a huge sweet tooth and so likes cake, candy and other sweets, but ice cream is his favorite.
In an AU where Kaito's V1 and V3 are separate entities, V1 is the more hyper and energetic one :kaito_move: , and V3 is much more calm and laid back in comparison :kaito2_move: .

Reactions: GreenFantasy64

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
I admit that the title on my thread could've been better in terms of being more descriptive. (Although I initially thought of only personality headcanons). But it's good to include all kinds of headcanons, so thank you for contributing to the subject!

RabbitWhale39

Devout Mikuist
Apr 25, 2018
I've always pictured Miku as cheerful, but with a childlike curiosity about the real world/people. The videos for livetune's Redial or tilt-six's Voices come to mind. Like a "let me hop out of the computer and fly around, see what this is all about" kind of a thing. :miku_chickadee:

Lille

Aspiring Fan
May 3, 2018
Oh, okay! I headcanon the vocalists as living in a close-knit community... like a gated community, where there's some public areas, including a square. The public rooms - like a community refectory, recording studio, and places for classes such as dancing (lead by VY2) and fighting (lead by VY1), it's all in a single building. There's also an office for a "housekeeper," who's hired by Yamaha to assign work (recording songs to add to a database) and organise events and trips. I'm illustrating all this, 'cause in my scenario, there's plenty of room for everyone to meet everyone in a mundane, shuffled basis. It's pretty fun!

So, some of the personalities:
I separate families by company. :sonika_lili: This makes Yamaha's the largest!
  • Piko - main helper of the housekeeper! Initially he was bored from lack of work, but then they became friends. Nowadays he's much more open than he used to be when he was first released. He always looks quite serious and mostly keeps to himself, but he loves light mockery and good jokes. He has telekinesis! It makes things shine a bit blue.

• Yuma - incredibly serious and tall guy who intimidates everyone who goes near him. He looks like he could kill you, and he can, but he won't. He'll teach you how to dance instead. The most hilarious jokes make him chuckle and side-smile. It's the peak of his entertainment. Somehow, he still manages to be friendly, always meaning well; he is the big brother to a lot of people after all, and he lives up to that. He's close friends with Rion.

• Flower - extremely tall lady from the all-tall Yamaha family, who loves gardening and does a wonderful job at it. All of her teeth are pointy, so even though she looks badass, she has a golden heart and is very upbeat. She loves being around the kids and often takes her time giving them gardening tips.

• Gakupo - a bit too self assured, not enough to be annoying. It's a confidence from being a samurai, root of his values. He's a very laid back guy who gets along with everyone and is always very respectful and polite. Like a cool uncle who still has faith on his rock band. He's close friends with Iroha.

• Iroha - cute cat girl who laughs super easily and has all sorts of magazines, mostly National Geographic and fashion stuff. She wants to visit a whole bunch of countries and daydreams about it all the time.

• SeeU - cute cat girl with hair too big. I headcanon her hair as being very big and way puffier than it really is. She's a bit of a dummy airhead and sometimes things get lost in her hair, like Sonika's phone. She always gets everyone's jokes, as clever as they are, so maybe she's not as much of a dummy. She's close friends with IA (even though they never seem to be paying attention to each other, so no one knows how it works).

• Yohio - now this one's a dummy because he wants to. Kinda happy-go-lucky, he has the atmosphere of a college classmate that's always helpful and hangs out with everyone. He has vampire teeth. You know how Kramer from Seinfeld is always getting into everyone's places, usually with crazy ideas, and taking their things? That's Yohio. He does return everything, though.

• Mew - she never speaks. Exclusively, she only speaks when she sings; other than that, she uses Japanese sign language. She's extremely sweet, kind and caring. She's completely black and white, like a walking manga character in a world of colours.

• Cul - the most electric, upbeat, positive, happy-go-lucky person to ever exist. Just because she wears black and red doesn't mean she isn't the nicest person to ever come across this planet. She's the best cook and no one denies that.

• Gumi - she spends far too much time meddling with her motorcycle - now that I think of it, she probably has a Harley Davidson. She's a bit of a mad scientist type, seemingly aloof but friendly nonetheless.

• Miriam - a fairly young person with an ancient soul. She always looks so tired. Tries to be friendly, but you know that she really wants to resume reading her book. Thankfully she's naturally sweet.

• Chika - she... is a bit mysterious? She's tall like a volleyball player, and she's always around, but no one really speaks much to her. Probably because she looks like a fashion agent who will judge you head to toe, but really, she probably won't. As long as you're not dressed outrageously, I guess. But even then she would probably just be really shocked.

• Fukase - he looks certain, mischievous and content all at the same time, all the time. He owns lots of board games and loves playing them with anyone. His weekends usually consist of late night overhyped karaokes with his sisters Anon and Kanon. He knows more memes than he cares to admit.

• Miku - this poor girl is so incredibly tired, but she thinks her hard work pays off, so she's always kind and never complains. When everyone's together, she's there too, but other than that she mostly hides. She needs time alone.
These are some examples ^^ Some groups are pretty characteristic, or have a signature atmosphere, reflective of their personalities, to them:

• The VOCALOID children: Oliver, Aoki, Yuki, Ryuto. (Technically Una too, but she's not very close yet). Extremely playful, polite and curious. Absolutely curious. You will never see a group of children as supportive of each other as these guys are.

• The Yamaha family: VY1, VY2, Mew, Yuu, Kyo, Wil, Anon, Kanon, Flower, Cyva, Sachiko, Fukase, Cyman. They are not entitled... but they have a certain solemn air to them, including the friendly types such as Mizki and Flower. They seem pretty dignified in the way they handle themselves and it's probably in their blood. (The ones with underline are taller than 1.80m, which is 5'11")

• The Internet Co. family: Gumi, Gakupo, Lily, Ryuto, Cul, Kokone, Chika. They are the life of parties! At all time, they really like being around people. They're very easy to get along with, even though Kokone specifically is super shy and Lily is hardcore intimidating. She looks like she's better than you at everything.

• The Cryptonloids: Meiko, Kaito, Miku, Luka, Rin, Len. When they're home, it's like they're on vacation, and they don't like to be disturbed. There's always too much work and they take long afternoon naps, like cats, all of them. Somehow, it always looks like Kaito is trying to cover up for them. He's the most outgoing, along with Rin.

• The Elderly: Leon, Lola, Miriam. Lola is blind, so these other two generally assist her when she ever needs it. They love Mew's cat Sabami, and spend most of their afternoons together, reading/listening to books and then discussing them, or even other life matters. They're their own sweet, light hearted book club. A very intelligent, sympathetic trio.
:yanhe_lili: Sorry for it being so long... particularly, I like having set base personalities, because them singing songs is really just their work, so they don't have a say in it and that makes room for having their own reactions or opinions.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)