• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

What languages can you speak?

þusend

Jul 27, 2018
nz
English is my first language, so there's that. I minored in Japanese at university, so I can speak a bit of it. Not well, but eh. I also know a smattering of French (from high school) and German (from uni) as well.

Reactions: Elsa12TMNT

Alan

New Fan
Aug 22, 2018
Linguam Latinam loquor! (I speak Latin)

But more specifically, I took Latin and Ancient Greek in college and I haven't used it since XD

Bryłka

New Fan
Apr 9, 2018
I can speak polish as my native lang., but I also can speak english, german, a bit of japanese~
I like to read different languages overall and I like to be open for challenges xD

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
Can probably update now, speak English (duh), Japanese semi-fluently at this point, basic Chinese and baby Korean. Spanish is basically "I can read this but I could NOT form a sentence" now.

Sep 21, 2019
English is my first language, and I've gotten pretty good at Japanese! I'm still nowhere near fluent yet, but I can form sentences easily (moreso when writing than speaking because I have more time to process my thoughts) and hold a pretty decent conversation. I just need to finish learning all the vocabulary I need to express myself and learn... DUN DUN DUN... the Kanji. Kanji is currently my biggest issue because I've yet to find a good way to learn and memorize it. (Also, I can't write it, either except for the very basic one like ichi, ni, san, etc..)

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
I can read Spanish but can only speak it quite brokenly... I think it's mostly a matter of practicing and picking up more vocab. Plus I need listening comprehension. Might try some audiobooks or just listening to more Spanish music :S

And I've got like,, child level Mandarin. As in, I get the structure of phrases like "there is a cabinet on the right side of the fridge" or "I took a taxi to work" or "i bought three kinds of fruit" etc, but I just don't have enough vocabulary to express these things well yet. I'm getting there!! My hanzi studies are coming along a little more slowly, understandably 😂

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
I'm a native speaker of Finnish snd English is my second strongest language although my accent is pretty bad I imagine.
I studied Swedish at school for 4 or 5 years but I've forgotten most of it. I understand Swedish better than I speak.
I've studied Japanese on my own but I'm still a beginner.
Oh, I also studied German in middle school for 2 years but I only remember some very basic phrases and vocabulary.
Now I'd say my Japanese is definitely better than my Swedish. We had to study Swedish, but I've never used Swedish ever, so I've forgotten almost everything. Japanese on the other hand is something I'm being exposed to all the time through social media.
In school German was optional, and I actually lost all interest in it after a year of studying, but I couldn't opt out anymore, so the latter year didn't really produce results. "Ich bin Ausländer und ich spreche nicht gut Deutsch" is in essence all I remember :D

Last edited:

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
I’m a native English speaker, and I’ve taught myself to speak it with a nicely standard accent, I think (by default, I speak with a strong Southern twang; I’m told it’s more noticeable when I’m tired, drunk, or some combination of the two). I have a strong grasp of Japanese, French, and Spanish grammar, as well as Japanese and French vocabulary; Spanish vocab I’m getting better at, and I’m slowly but surely learning Mandarin words, but I still for the life of me can’t fully grasp the grammar structure. I’m so used to Japanese I have to rewire my brain, heh.

I also speak a little bit of Estonian, but it’s been so long that I’m undoubtedly rusty.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Update time - finally picked up German! Though right now it's still at what I like to call "phrase book" German. I can't get the hang of the grammar at all aside from simple sentences. ^^;

I can sort of give a demonstration of how far I am into the language, though I'm still relying on personal memory, Babbel and Google Translate: "Heute im
Großbritannien, es ist regnet und windig, und der wind ist laut." (Assuming that sentence is correct, no joke, many parts of the UK are being battered by a storm right now, and the gusts are insane.)

If any German speakers have any tips about the grammar, I'd be happy to hear your advice.

Aia

DDR-tist
Jul 14, 2019
The Internet™
Being raised in a Mexican family, I can also speak Spanish. I learned it since I was really young, and I have a pretty good understanding of it and could speak it pretty fluently. I was 100% confident about it as a kid, but as I started taking Spanish class last year, I realized how much I still hace yet to learn ugh. The grammar is confusing sometimes;;;

___

Oct 8, 2019
Slovak is my native language therefore I understand czech as well :p

There's....nothing interesting to be said about english. When you're just a tiny baby on the internet who wants to be involved in silly fandom stuff you somehow manage to learn english on your own that way :LOL:
I wanna say I speak liiittle japanese but I really don't dfggh I just know some stuff about it :kaito_lili: I wanna change that tho!! They taught us german at school as well, I was alright at it at the time and managed to get good grades....probably because I am okay with languages and my mom speaks fluent german so she helped me out..but in the end I never really was interested in german and all I learnt went into short term memory dfyg but after all those years learning it and thanks to my familiarity with english I do manage to pick up some stuff.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
English. My endeavors to learn Spanish and German in high school did not go so well. Right now my plans are to learn Japanese, Romanian, and ASL.

Raku

Aspiring Fan
Jun 16, 2018
Indonesia
My native language is Indonesian, but I can speak English and self-taught myself Japanese for at least 10 years. I passed my N2 exam the other day and hoping that I can pass N1 this year so I can learn Chinese in peace. Since I took my time far too long learning Japanese I'm hoping I could finish learning Chinese in like, 3 years, hopefully.

Reactions: uncreepy

kozet

Conlanger
Jul 5, 2019
flirora.xyz
In chronological order:
  • Korean, at least when it comes to family stuff.
  • English, which is my strongest language currently.
  • I studied Spanish in middle and high school but stopped after that and now I'm very rusty.
  • I started studying Japanese for a while too, but that fell into a hiatus. Less rusty with this one.
  • Welsh and Irish (mainly through Duolingo); not nearly fluent with either.
I can't speak any of my conlangs well.

garorey

New Fan
Mar 18, 2020
I speak few languages but want to improve my English actually. But I have not much time for learning new foreign languages because I am student and busy with studying and part time work in local bank. So from time to time I got finance homework help

Last edited:
Reactions: uncreepy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)