SynthV CeVIO AI / Synthesizer V Tsurumaki Maki

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
IA's the only English TTS we've had on CeVIO thus far, and she didn't receive nearly as much attention, publicity, or marketing as Maki's getting
IA doesn't actually have an English TTS - her talk is only for Japanese, and that includes her recent update. Maki's the first English TTS we're getting from any of these companies ever, so it's even more understandable that there'll be some things to iron out (it is just a bit odd that such an important feature won't be there at launch, but that really has nothing to do with Maki herself).

I think it all boils down to what you really want to use these synths for. In the end, Maki English, and literally every other Japanese company-made English synth (talk or otherwise), is and always was going to be a niche product. A lot of us hobbyists like fine-tuning things and getting that most perfect result (see: tuning singing synths), so having to do that here won't be a problem. Alternatively, it's okay if you don't want to do all that too; if you don't like Maki's accent and don't want to fine tune everything, then you don't have to buy her. I think there's reason to be critical of the editor too, of course - but if Maki does well and more companies see a market for English TTS, then it can only be a good thing.

I think it's cool that people are genuinely getting interested in talking synths now; as someone who's used VOICEROID since 2016 and always wanted to see the market expand, this has been my dream, haha.

peaches2217

I write mediocre OliLen fanfiction.
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
IA doesn't actually have an English TTS - her talk is only for Japanese, and that includes her recent update.
Motherfucker I'm an idiot. I coulda sworn she had an English talk bank. Shows you how much I know. 😅 Forgive me!

But I'm with you here. She's a niche product, and while I understand many criticisms about her, criticisms like "She doesn't sound like a native speaker!" just make zero sense to me whatsoever. Like... no, she doesn't. That's the point. If they wanted her to sound like a native speaker, they'd hire a native speaker. If you don't like the fact that she sounds non-native, rather than moan about how tragic it is that her VP can't perfectly imitate an American accent, just... don't buy her. That's where all of my frustration comes from; all other criticisms I've seen I either agree with or can understand completely.

I love Maki, so I wanna remain optimistic for her and CeVIO AI's future! And I want more products with her quality on CeVIO AI. After the disappointments of Yukari Rei and Rikka's talk bank, this is a breath of fresh air, even in its unfinished state. And as you said, people are finally getting on board with talking synths, and that'll just usher in a new era of varied, quality, well-funded TTS banks, as interest in singing synths did to Vocaloid in the late 2000s/early 2010s.

Ah, I still remember hearing Heartbreak Headlines and being like "Holy shit, that's a talking Vocaloid! That's amazing!" Seeing how far it's all come nearly ten years later is making me nostalgic :avanna_lili:

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
Oh, the Synth V giveaway is over and the winners are announced, but they'll be giving away her CeVIO AI bank(s? It's probably both but I don't want to assume) as well. Details to come in the June 18th livestream for Maki's release. (Note that they've done livestream-only giveaways in the past where you have to DM them during the livestream with the necessary information to enter, and they announce the winners as soon as the livestream is over. I don't know if it'll be like the Synth V giveaways or a livestream giveaway, but I would tune into it if you're able just to be safe if you want to enter.)

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Britain
Cevio AI talk sample long version.
On a random note, I still can't get used to the real pronunciation of CeVIO. It reminds me of word "cheese" for some reason and it bugs the crap outta me lol.

Going back on topic, as a native English speaker, I did notice some rhythm and fluidity issues, but overall, Maki has a really nice talk bank for a non-native VB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)