• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Help Finding Anime?

Hi all! I love anime a lot, but over the years have run into the same problems: either it's A) dark and depressing, B) sex and other fanservice, or C) just generally unclean (swearing and stuff like that)

I'd really like to find an anime that is just good and clean. Basically, what I don't want in an anime is:
Religion (please no demons or anything like that)
Excessive gore
Overly depressing and/or dark (I'm thinking like Death Note or Black Butler)
Overly sexual
Excessive swearing

I'd love for some comedy or rom-com animes. I'm also up for action animes (like the first season of SAO).

Here's a list of animes I've already watched

The Snow White WIth Red Hair (loved it)
Ace Attorney (didn't finish, but I did like it, apart from the weird spiritual part)
Himawari!
Sailor Moon (Original and Crystal)
RWBY
SAO (didn't finish, but got through a good bit before the girl started to annoy me)
Azumanga Daio (I think that was what it was called, it's been awhile)
God's Blessing On This Wonderful World (Didn't finish)

Anyway, any suggestions are welcome and thanks for your time!

Sep 21, 2019
Hmm… I don’t know a whole lot of anime since I don’t watch much of it, but I’d probably recommend something like Nichijou, My Hero Academia, or Lucky Star!

Nichijou is just funny, lighthearted, and over the top. Cute but also kind of crazy slice of life.

My Hero has an entertaining story with lots of interesting and likable characters. It has action but doesn’t get extremely dark. (But it does have some swearing, but I thought it might be worth a recommendation anyways.)

Lucky Star! is overall a very funny but also chill kind of show and I highly recommend watching it in English because the dub is really great!

___

Oct 8, 2019
This.....isn't the 1st time I'm trying to make someone watch Appmon I think....anyways!! Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters!! Super fun and likeable cast, the concept might sound meeh to some but the execution is really great and they do a lot with those ideas, it starts out very silly, not taking itself all that seriously but the stakes get very VERY high as the show progresses but it never forgets to have fun and remains hopeful!

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Note: I have questionable taste. I held back and am only suggesting "normal" things. lol

I recently rewatched BONJOUR♪Sweet Love Pâtisserie on Crunchyroll. It is short episodes (about 5 min, 24 of them) based on a phone dating sim that has sadly left this world (lol). The first 2 episodes is as "serious" as it gets, but it's so funny/weird it made me scream at the TV the whole time and binge it in like 3 days. (Even though it's based on a dating sim, they don't do anything, it's just fluff.) The plot is a girl goes to a school to make sweets and they have an oddly specific rule where you can't date the teachers, but the teachers keep making her help them with cooking projects after school and some classmates are jealous of her so basically everyone is following each other around.
1426788379_1_1_fd6236d2497e93bbbbb9d687a6d1d9b1.jpg

Neo Angelique Abyss (I'm almost done with the 2nd season). This is another one based on a dating sim, but hear me out. It takes place in a world where the town folk get attacked by weird gel-looking monsters and only the main character can fully purify them/heal the people who got their life sapped away like mummies. The guys around her can hurt the monsters in order for her to purify them. But gosh, this show is the perfect mix of town people running away in peril, the good guys saving the day in the nick of time, and each dude has a weird but super interesting back story. This one is really fluff, they don't do anything romantic and just are like body guards, pretty pure-hearted show.
002.jpg
Wow, just look at all these weird guys.

Do you like certain stuff like BL/GL or any specific genres (ex: magical girls) that would help us suggest things to you?

Reactions: ThatGirlMyra

Raku

Aspiring Fan
Jun 16, 2018
Indonesia
I've been out of the anime loop for a while so I can't suggest anything new, but if you're looking for anything that doesn't have any of those, general Slice-of-Life should fit a lot of it. What I can suggest for now:
1. Place to Place (Acchi Kocchi), Rom-com. Generally funny/sweet, the artstyle makes anything in it generally safe.
2. Today's Menu for the Emiya Family (Emiya-san chi no Kyou no Gohan), You don't need to know anything about Fate to enjoy this series. It's a 13-episode anime with 15 minutes runtime per episode.
3. Aria Series. Personally for me, you can't get an anime cleaner than the Aria Series. A story about Akari, a girl from Earth (Man-Home) in Aqua (Terraformed Mars) to become a gondolier in Neo-Venezia (based on Venice). Soothing soundtrack, fun characters, no big fights or anything. It's an old series but it's a classic.
4. Yuru Camp, story about high school girls going camping to mountains. There are onsen scenes but nothing more than that and it's not anything suggestive IIRC.

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
i’m
I’m totally super lame when it comes to anime, but here are my recommendations!
Also, I watch all my anime English dubbed!

- Mew Mew Power/Tokyo Mew Mew - if you liked Sailor Moon, this is by the same person! It’s not as long as Sailor Moon, and was never fully dubbed (or I was a dumb kid that willingly watched the second half subbed-) but it’s pretty good! It’s similar to Sailor Moon, but animals instead of space
- Boruto. This one is still ongoing, and it helps of you have seen Naruto but I find it’s not really a big deal. It’s very similar to Naruto but takes out the tragic backstory and fanservice, and there’s really no strong language at all besides Boruto letting out a “damn” every now and then. Really good if you want ninja without the darker aspects of Naruto (and I have been obsessed with it lately)
- Cardcaptor Sakura. This is a super cute anime, little action, little romance, and just got a sequel/new season recently too! It can be a little kiddy at times, though I’ve only seen the original dub not the new dub Funimation made last month. It’s a magical girl anime with a really cute romance laced in
- My Bride is a Mermaid is a good romcom! Basically the tirke says it all, but it does get a tiny bit sexual/fanservice-y/perverted, but it’s not a ton from what I remember.
- Ouran High School Host Club is a classic romcom. Basically about a girl who gets into a very prestigious school and winds up finding a host club, where she breaks a pot and can’t afford to pay it so she prefendsto be a boy to join the club and ends up having a romancewith the main host
- Assassination Classroom is a pretty funny one about a class that gets assigned an alien as a teacher and have to figure out how to kill him before he destroys the world
- If you liked the whole case/murder mystery aspect of Ace Attorney, then definitely try Case Closed/Detective Conan! They’re very similar in style, except Case Closed is more of a detective show with investigation. I personally like it more than Ace Attorney because it gives you time to try solving the case yourself more too, and it has a bit if a romance in it.

Those are all the ones I can think of. My oldest sister is a bit more into romance anime than me (her favorite anime are Cardcaptor Sakura and Gundam Seed) but I hope I could help at least a little!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!! they all sound really fun and I can't wait to check them out.

One thing I forgot to mention is I need these animes to be available somewhere on YouTube or Amazon Prime, since I don't have the money to get a streaming service. I've had luck with most animes being on YouTube, but wanted to have a disclaimer anyway.

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
If it helps, FunimationNow is an anime streaming service and recently started having free accounts. The only downside is it’s a limited selection (I think?) and you have to watch with ads, but seeing as Funimation is one of the main companies that dub-sub, it’s really nice!

Sep 21, 2019
Crunchyroll is another popular one you can use for free as long as you don't mind ads (but it has no English dubs available, I think)! I'm fairly sure My Hero is available on Amazon Prime, iirc.

Funimation has Lucky Star, but I think certain episodes are only available if you're subscribed? Not sure because I haven't used it in a while!

You could also try VRV, but again, no English dub. But it's pretty good as long as you don't mind the lack of an English dub! (Also, they have some exclusive(?) cartoons if you like cartoons as well!!)

Gralydig

Just a chill dude, doing his thing.
Oct 8, 2018
Chicago
I would suggest Parasyte Maxim, although it does have a little bit of gore but not to the point where it’s overused. And yes it goes over some dark themes but I really love suggesting this anime to others because of how underrated and how good the writing is. By looking at the criteria that you have listed you might not take this anime into consideration, but if you do please try and give it an episode or two and see if you’re hooked.

Note: I have questionable taste. I held back and am only suggesting "normal" things. lol

I recently rewatched BONJOUR♪Sweet Love Pâtisserie on Crunchyroll. It is short episodes (about 5 min, 24 of them) based on a phone dating sim that has sadly left this world (lol). The first 2 episodes is as "serious" as it gets, but it's so funny/weird it made me scream at the TV the whole time and binge it in like 3 days. (Even though it's based on a dating sim, they don't do anything, it's just fluff.) The plot is a girl goes to a school to make sweets and they have an oddly specific rule where you can't date the teachers, but the teachers keep making her help them with cooking projects after school and some classmates are jealous of her so basically everyone is following each other around.
View attachment 3378
I'm like five years late but I finished this anime today and LOVED IT!! Thanks for the recommendation!!

Ronny777

VOCALOID5 Tuner
Dec 10, 2020
Canada
soundcloud.com
I don't know if the post is still relevant to your needs but I'd like to suggest a few!

-Baka to test (The dub is very good) It's just very silly and not overly sexual but there are a few innuendos and its not the main focus. 2 Seasons.
50389.jpg
-Spice and Wolf (the dub is fine) A really sweet love story about a wolf god and a traveling merchant. You learn a lot about the 17th century-ish stock the market. 2 seasons
spice-and-wolf-wall-scroll-kraft-and-holo-long.jpg
- inu x boku ss (The dub is good I personally thought the main love interest had a sexy voice >_>) Its a good love story but has a bit of supernatural elements that happen in the background. 1 season
91kAo+USdvL._RI_.jpg
-that time i got reincarnated as a slime (I'm not sure about the dub) I'd suggest it because its not perverted at all and very violent. I liked the concept. Man is a slime. Finds out what he can do as slime. Wants to use that ability to help people. Simple. 2 seasons .Ongoing
2326629_English_ShowThumbnail_0c38d6b9-e3fd-4658-bd30-5f48f1ba73db.jpg
-Dr.stone (the dub is fine) It has a bit of violence but every obstacle gets solved through science. Its very engaging. The world gets turned to stone. Main character wakes up and tries to find a cure for everyone. 2 seasons. ongoing.
Dr_Stone_Blu-ray_Disc_Box_1.jpg
-Free! (dub doesn't feel well casted. Can't recommend) Handsome men that like to swim. Topless and learning about life. 3, 12 episode seasons.
Free!_promotional_image_1.jpg
-school Rumble (Dub is ok) High school love splice of life drama. Guy is in love with a girl but she's in love with an other guy. 2 seasons.
75488.jpg

sketchesofpayne

Listening to Hatsune Miku since 2007
Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
CRN = Crunchyroll, FNM = Funimation, HDV = HiDive, VRV = VRV, HLU = Hulu, YTB = Youtube

Flip Flappers (CRN HDV VRV)
Cocona's seemingly sedate life gets interupted when Papika, a wild girl with tangled red hair, takes her to an alternate dimension called "Pure Illusion." Together they explore many strange and surreal worlds. They become involved in the race against agents of a secretive organization to find the crystal shards that lie behind the mystery of how Pure Illusion came to exist. Once found, the crystals allow them to transform into magical girls to fight the dangerous creatures they encounter. (It is a beautiful series with a focus on exploration and introspection with just enough action to spice it up.)

Kaguya-sama: Love is War (CRN FNM HLU)
At an academy for students of the most wealthy and powerful in Japan, Miyuki Shirogane and Kaguya Shinomiya are the student body's top representatives. The two develop feelings for each other that neither are willing to admit. A stalemate begins. With their pride and honor on the line, the first to confess "loses." And both are equally determined to "win." (This is one of the best and funniest series I have ever seen. Every episode is pure gold.)

The Demon Girl Next Door (HDV VRV)
One morning Yuuko wakes to see that she has grown demonic horns and a tail. Dazed and confused, her mother reveals to her a dark family secret: her family is descended from a Dark Clan that was banished to live powerless and destitute by their mortal enemies, the magical girls of the Light Clan. The only way to lift their ancestry's curse is for Yuuko to find a magical girl, murder her, and splatter her blood all over her ancestor's Demon God statue. Unfortunately Yuuko is physically weak, struggles academically, and generally doesn't have much going for her. Then she discovers one of the students in another class is a semi-retired magical girl! ...who is strong enough to stop a truck with her bare hands. The magical girl takes pity on Yuuko and decides to train her to fight and master her new demonic powers (such as they are). (This show is in my personal top 5 anime.)

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (YTB)
After a disaster leaves the world in a state of decline, the remaining human population lives out their lives peacefully and quietly in the twilight of the human age. Alpha Hatsuseno is an android who works at a cafe bordering Yokohama that rarely gets visitors, and is waiting for her owner to return. The show is slow and contemplative as it follows an android girl as she takes beautiful pictures and experiences touching moments, all amidst a calming sense of peace. (I find it to be a refreshing subversion of the post-apocalypse genre.)

Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You (HLU CRN)
Kuronuma Sawako is completely misunderstood by her classmates. Her timid and sweet demeanor is often mistaken for malicious behavior. This is due to her resemblance to the ghost girl from "The Ring," which has led her peers to give her the nickname Sadako. Longing to make friends and live a normal life, she is naturally drawn to Kazehaya Shouta, the most popular guy in class, whose "100% refreshing" personality earns him great admiration from Sawako. So when Kazehaya starts talking to her, maybe there is hope for the friendships Sawako has always longed for. Maybe... there is even a little hope for some romance in her future. (Though it has the trappings of a shoujo series it avoids many of the genre's clichés. Watching Sawako trying to come out of her shell and socialize is both endearing and hilarious!)

Mushi-Shi (HLU CRN FNM)
They are neither plants nor animals. They differ from other forms of life such as the micro-organisms and the fungi. Instead they resemble the primeval body of life and are generally known as "Mushi". Their existence and appearance are unknown to many and only a limited number of humans are aware of them. Ginko is a "Mushi-shi" who travels around to investigate and find out more about the "Mushi". In the process, he also lends a helping hand to people who face problems with supernatural occurances which may be related to the "Mushi." (The show has the feeling of a folktale or even a Studio Ghibli production. Each episode is a self-contained story where Ginko solves a supernatural mystery.)

The Girl in Twilight (HDV VRV)
The urban legend of the 4:44 ritual consists of using a radio player to produce frequencies in front of the Akeyuki Sacred Tree at exactly 4:44, transporting people to a different dimension. When Asuka Tsuchimiya and her friends decide to perform this ritual as an activity of the Crystal Radio Research Club, they are shocked when the ritual works. The five travel to parallel worlds where they face many dangers and meet their alternate selves in societies wildly different from our own. (I wasn't sure what to think of this show at first, but by the end I was on the edge of my seat!)

SSSS.Gridman (FNM CRN VRV)
Yuta Hibiki can’t remember who he is, and now he’s seeing and hearing things that others don’t! A voice from an old computer tells him to remember his calling, and he sees a massive, unmoving creature in the distance. When the Kaiju attacks the city, Yuta is suddenly pulled into the digital world, reappearing in the real one as the colossal hero—Gridman! He defeats the Kaiju in a fight that heavily damages the city. But mysteriously the aftermath of the monster attack has disappeared the next day and no one but Yuta and his friends seem to notice. (This series is not what it appears to be on the surface. Also, I love Studio Trigger's work.)

If you want you can check out my personal MyAnimeList. I've rated over 700 series.

Last edited:

deeepiii

Bedroom vocalsynth guy
Oct 12, 2020
I don't have Amazon Prime so I'm not sure if these are included with the subscription or if you still have to buy them separately:

Recovery of an MMO Junkie - Moriko Morioka is a 30-year-old single NEET woman. After dropping out from reality, she has taken off in search for a fulfilling life and ended up in a net game or "netoge." In the netoge world, she began her new life as a refreshing and handsome character named Hayashi. While starting out as a beginner, a pretty character named Lily reached out to help her. Meanwhile, in the real world, awaits a shocking encounter with a good-looking elite company employee, a mysterious blue-eyed blonde. (10 episodes)

Sakura Quest - The story centers on five girls who work in the tourism bureau of their small provincial town. The town revives its "micro-nation" tourism program, which originated from a nationwide movement during Japan's bubble economy period, and hires the five girls as "monarchs" (tourism ambassadors). The anime will depict one year in their jobs in the tourism industry, and show how they change and grow. (25 episodes - Amazon is showing this to be unavailable right now? Not sure why but maybe it'll come back)

My Love Story!! - Takeo Goda is a giant guy with a giant heart. Too bad the girls don't want him! (They always go for his good-looking best friend, Sunakawa.) Used to being on the sidelines, Takeo simply stands tall and accepts his fate. But one day when he saves a girl named Yamato from a harasser on the train, his (love!) life suddenly takes an incredible turn! Takeo can hardly believe it when he crosses paths with Yamato again, and he finds himself falling in love with her… But with handsome Sunakawa around, does Takeo even stand a chance? (24 episodes)

Tsukigakirei
- The series focuses on characters Akane Mizuno and Kotarou Azumi, two third-year middle school students who become classmates for the first time. The series will depict each characters' growth and connection to the people around them, such as classmates, club-mates, teachers, and parents. The anime will also center on the youthful adolescent romance of the characters, who are hounded by change and uncertainty as the seasons inevitably pass. (12 episodes)

I'm incredibly late to this thread, so just in case you have gotten a streaming service account, here's some more:

Non Non Biyori - When Hotaru moves from Tokyo to a tiny town in the rural countryside, she’s in for some serious culture shock: the nearest place that sells comics is 20 minutes away, the nearest video store is ten train stations down the line, and there are only three other girls and one boy in her entire school! Even though everything’s so different, there’s something about the laid-back atmosphere that makes her feel strangely comfortable. While she’ll certainly miss parts of her old life, there’s a whole lifetime of experiences waiting to be enjoyed with her new friends Renge, Komari, Natsumi, and Suguru! (36 episodes, on Crunchyroll and HIDIVE, also my personal favorite anime ever)

One Week Friends
- Yuki Hase, a high school boy, is concerned about a girl of his classmate, Kaori Fujimiya. She always stays alone and never tries to become close friends with anyone. Given half a chance one day, it seems that Yuki and Kaori become to have a good relationship that they begin to eat lunch together. Although they enjoy having conversations, Kaori, strangely enough, keeps denying their friendship. On that Friday, she confesses, “I have memory disorder. My memories disappear within one week...." (12 episodes, on Crunchyroll and HIDIVE Well it used to be but it's not anymore??? Maybe it'll come back soon)

Love, Chuunibyou, and Other Delusions!
- Yuta Togashi has a problem. He used to be a "chunnibyo," one of the thousands of Japanese students so desperate to stand out that they've literally convinced themselves that they have secret knowledge and hidden powers. But now that he's starting high school, he's determined to put aside his delusions and face life head on. The trouble is Rikka Takanashi, his upstairs neighbor, is just a little bit delusional herself. And she knows all about his past indiscretions. (24 episodes, on Crunchyroll and HIDIVE)

Teasing Master Takagi-San - Having a friend that knows you inside out should be a good thing, but in Nishikata's case, the opposite is true. His classmate Takagi loves to tease him on a daily basis, and she uses her extensive knowledge of his behavior to predict exactly how he will react to her teasing, making it nearly impossible for Nishikata to ever make a successful comeback. Despite this, Nishikata vows to someday give Takagi a taste of her own medicine by making her blush out of embarrassment from his teasing. (24 episodes - Season 1 is on Funimation, Season 2 is on Netflix for some reason)

sweetness & lightning - Having lost his wife, math teacher Kouhei Inuzuka is doing his best to raise his young daughter Tsumugi as a single father. He's pretty bad at cooking and doesn't have a huge appetite to begin with, but chance brings his little family and one of his students, Kotori Iida, together for homemade adventures. With those three cooks in the kitchen, it's no wonder this dinner table drama is so delicious. (12 episodes, on Crunchyroll)

A Place Further Than the Universe
- Mari Tamaki is in her second year of high school and wants to start something. It's then that she meets Shirase, a girl with few friends who's considered weirdo by the rest of the class and nicknamed "Antarctic" since it's all she ever talks about. Unlike her peers, Mari is moved by Shirase's dedication and decides that even though it's unlikely that high school girls will ever go to Antarctica, she's going to try to go with Shirase. (13 episodes, on Crunchyroll)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)