• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

How would you improve your favorite synth(s)?

Sep 21, 2019
Thought it might be fun to have discussion about things we'd do to improve our favorite synths. I'm chiefly thinking about the vocal aspect, but feel free to discuss designs as well!

Personally, although I think Tei is good for the most part just the way she is, I think she could also use a power bank because while she can sing strongly with enough effort, I think she could stand to have a voicebank on par with Teto sakebi in terms of power. I'd also give her a second, higher pitch because her low to mid-range is very good, but her high notes can be a bit piercing at times. It's not something too awful to deal with, but it'd be nice to not have to go through the editing process to make them sound nicer.
Also a proper whisper bank and an English bank would be really cool, too. But that's not what this is about. alkajdkhkf

As for Teto, I think I'll quote a Patuk on this one since she summed up my feelings quite nicely!
1. add lower pitch to her core:o there were many times I wouldve been happy with using Teto for the cover but it was just too low for her in spots and she started sounding gross and croaky and it wasnt even that ridiculously low, if she were to be at least able to comfortably hit C3 I think it'd really expand on the genres and songs she can cover.
2. pls make it so I dont have to dl her whisper CV to make her whisper VCV fully functional vb.
The lower pitch would be quite appreciated for her Sakebi bank especially since that one sounds very froggy on lower notes. I'd also love if her voicebank was updated to make her S's a little less sibilant as those can be very painful to deal with.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Ooh, how fun!

:meiko_lili: I wish Meiko’s update could have better captured her V1 tone. I love her V3 tone, but her V1 had a certain charm, especially for more mellow songs.

:haiyi_lili_smile: Haiyi tends to sound inconsistent across wide ranges. My very first cover with her suffered from inconsistency because I overestimated her range; while SVS improved on her consistency, it could still use some polishing up.

:len_smile_lili: Give my boy a more solid English bank. It’s great for trance and soft songs, but he’s a power bank by default, so I wish his English bank would reflect that.

ruffe

fka. luwo
Oct 24, 2020
🌎
I guess this is a rather general improvement, but instead of having vocal fry be the same for every Vocaloid (basically all cyber diva recordings), they'd have the voice provider record their own set of vocal fry. For example, Haruno Sora would have her own vocal fry as opposed to just being able to use the default, making it unique to her.

Also just SF-A2 Miki, I know literally everyone has said it, but I would've had those iffy notes re-recorded and/or fixed. They don't even sound great after they've been pitch-corrected and it's so sad.

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
UTAUwise my life would improve tenfold if Denka Sen's whisper bank got a lower pitch- it's all I ever needed and he's really nice even being monopitch, and looking at the wav file dates I can see that it took his VP an entire year to record just that one pitch (which is relatable), but. I need a lower pitch I would pay Kunikida good money for it

Vocaloidwise... Kiyoteru V4's consonants aren't great but they're fixable, but it'd be nice to not have to do that. Also I wish Rock didn't suddenly switch to headvoice above a certain note and lose all his power

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
I know everyone and their mom points this out but I wish Cyber Songman had more pitches....before using him for a long time it was difficult to get any song to be within his range. With clever editing you can make him sound good but it's just not the same.

I love Nana English a lot but the one thing that drives me away from her is how....staticy she sounds. I get all vocaloids have that but she specifically has this buzzsaw making noises through her entire voice and it's so unappealing (especially noticeable in her vowels)

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
gotta go with my number one fave, flower!
- consonants still have some issues even though they were fixed a bit for V4. i've always had issues with g, t and b, but theres probably others i dont recall. this especially becomes obvious when she is in a higher range.
- flower has a pretty consistent tone when it comes to her high/power range, but i wish her low range was a more expanded on. her low range is honestly lovely, but its clear they didnt record samples that low and it starts to sound bad quickly.
- and on a similar end, her low range tone is fucking great imo, i wish that her high range fell more into that deep/mature sound she gets on low range. i feel some of her higher range can sound a bit too strained even if its 'in range' and obviously recorded, and i wonder if it was even in the VP's range to go that high lol. (heres to hoping its gotten better over the years?)

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
I’d make Vocaloid’s tuning closer to the way UTAU tuning is. It’d actually give me a reason to tune my covers cuz it’d be easier to tune them instead of dealing with PBS and PIT
EDIT: i forgot to talk about voices

ummm

I wish Denki Sai had an English bank, tho i know that probably wont happen

i dont think Steel is making any new banks rn, so that wish is out of the window

Last edited:

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
Here's my take

:meiko_ani_lili: Meiko should be cryptons flagship ai bank give her something to differentiate herself from the cv Banks. Her voice provider has a lovely voice and I never felt like Vocaloid was able to capture her voice. Same with kaito:kaito_ani_lili: to a point

Here is a sample of her voice provider
I honestly wish more vocal synth editors were like synth v and allowed you to draw on the pitch.

Last edited:

dezzydream

jermacraft
flower is my absolute fave but i wish she didn't have this particular weird quality about her. she almost sounds as if she's...idk swallowing her words? kinda sounds like she has cotton balls in her cheeks. it's present in both her v3 and v4 banks, hope her cevio bank can fix that, but cevio has it's own engine noise that she may not take well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)