• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Magical Girl anime/manga

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Originally, I was going to make a thread about Sailor Moon in particular, but I thought a general magical girl thread would be better since VV didn't have one yet.

Anyhow, some of my favourite magical girl shows are:
  • Sailor Moon
  • Cardcaptor Sakura
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica
  • Full Moon O Sagashite
  • Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne
  • Princess Tutu
  • Tokyo Mew Mew
  • Uta Kata
  • Ojomajo Doremi
  • Pretear

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I don’t watch...that many Mgical Gorl anime like at all bit I do enjoy them!

The only ones I’ve seen that come to mind are:
- Sailor Moon
- Tokyo Mew Mew
- Cardcaptor Sakura
- Full Moon o Sagashite

I’ve seen bits of Princess Tutu but I was really young and don’t remember a thing...

Reactions: TheStarPalace

Sharkartist

Passionate Fan
Apr 16, 2018
Eastern USA
I'm gonna say that basically as a byproduct of being in the bandorifandom, i eventually got into Precure. I actually have only watched parts 2 series, not counting glitter force though. I definately reccomend the shows, but only the subs because GF had cut things from the original precure show.

YunīC

Stan Yuezheng Longya
Apr 8, 2018
Did anybody say.... Magical Girl? ?
It was a hoge passion of mine for years

I strive to someday own every Magical Girl Manga that is translated to german (content wise, I am not gonna buy different versions of the same story)
There are still a few missing!
(I am not that much into it any more but since I already have nearly every I might as well)

Okay but now to the shows I actually completed watching, I watched and am watching a lot more though (I am just a mess and starting 28382737 things instead of finishing stuff):
-Lolirock (I need a season 3 GDI)
-Miraculous Ladybug (season 1)
-Sailor Moon
-Sailor Moon Crystal
-Wedding Peach
-Cutey Honey Flash (it counted as a kids show in germany, can you believe that?)
-Shin Cutey Honey (I hate how nsfw fanservey Cutey Honey is but I still watched some)
-Re: Cutey Honey
-Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou
-Kaitou Saint Tail
-Little Witch Academia
-Magic Knight Rayearth (only season 1)
-Magical Girl Raising Project
-Lyrical Nanoha (Season 1-3, don't like the new one somehow)
-Madoka Magica
-Mahou Shoujo Ore
-Tweeny Witches (if you count that as one)
-Nanatsurio Drops
-Doremi (Only season 1 as I droppdd season 2)
-PASWG
-Shoushin Shoujo Matoi
-Luluco
-Uta Kata
-Yuuki Yuuna (Only Season 1 & the first half of season 2 as movies)
-Sasami: Mahou Shoujo Club (only season 1)
-Houkago no Pleiades (Only the 4 episode short, didn't finish the proper one yet)
-Prism Ilya (only season 1 & 2)

• Love
Reactions: Jisenku

MillyAqualine

Hardcore Fan
Apr 11, 2018
I like them~ My biggest fave are Tokyo Mew Mew and Mermaid Melody, and they have a particular thing as they're the first series i've read completely, as there are some series I could only read/watch sparingly so far... Anyway you can tell by my avatar Milly was mainly an OC for those universes (she started as a µµ that is now kinda like some alternative universe version under another name)

Sailor Moon and Sailor V are cool too, Sailor Moon Crystal was nice, however I felt the pace was even faster than the steady one from the manga (maybe just an impression)

I'm trying to catch on other classics like Card Captor Sakura and plan to try one of PReCure segments

Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne was interesting too, also Kiss of the Rose Princess was funny... Moreover, since I'm a total sucker for roses it was neat x'D Talking about these latter, I haven't finished reading Rozen Maiden though...

There are other series I've started but I'll talk about them later ^^"'
I like them~ My biggest fave are Tokyo Mew Mew and Mermaid Melody, and they have a particular thing as they're the first series i've read completely, as there are some series I could only read/watch sparingly so far... Anyway you can tell by my avatar Milly was mainly an OC for those universes (she started as a µµ that is now kinda like some alternative universe version under another name)

Sailor Moon and Sailor V are cool too, Sailor Moon Crystal was nice, however I felt the pace was even faster than the steady one from the manga (maybe just an impression)

I'm trying to catch on other classics like Card Captor Sakura and plan to try one of PReCure segments

Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne was interesting too, also Kiss of the Rose Princess was funny... Moreover, since I'm a total sucker for roses it was neat x'D Talking about these latter, I haven't finished reading Rozen Maiden though...

There are other series I've started but I'll talk about them later ^^"'

Last edited:

Jikyusan

Producer in Training
Apr 8, 2018
USA
jikyusan.carrd.co
I love Magical Girls! The idea of Magical Girls has inspired me to write and draw a fan-comic about a group of teenagers who turn into Pokemon via Amulets.
Here are some magical girl anime I've watched:
-Sailor Moon
(this is my favorite, and is what got me into anime, even though I've seen Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh before searching Sailor Moon online)
-Sailor Moon Crystal
-Cardcaptor Sakura
(I read the manga when I was little, and I've seen some of the anime)
-Tokyo Mew Mew (I've seen some of it)
-Cutie Honey (Don't like the nudity though)
-Shin Cutey Honey (The nudity is much worse with this one, even going way nsfw)
-Re: Cutie Honey [OVA] (I like the style of this one, but still, nudity)
-Puella Magi Madoka Magica (This is dark)
-Magical Girl Raising Project (Just as dark as Madoka!)
-Ojamajo Doremi (This anime I remember as Magical DoReMi in the US)
There's still tons of anime I need to watch, so yeah. ^w^

Last edited:
D

Discounted account

Sailor Moon is most iconic of all Magic girls, and has lovable characters. Seen Puella Magi Madoka Magica which which went dark when a girl got killed, I was shock, that girl got eaten. And seen some Cardcaptor Sakura, seen some epispdes but forgot about it for most times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jisenku

sketchesofpayne

Listening to Hatsune Miku since 2007
Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
(Not listing all the sequels, spinoffs, side series, or movies.)

Mahou Shoujo Anime I Enjoy:
Cardcaptor Sakura

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru
Flip Flappers
Machikado Mazoku
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
Little Witch Academia
Kaito Tenshi Twin Angel
Houkago no Pleiades
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya
Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu
Futari wa Precure
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
Akazukin Chacha
Akanesasu Shoujo
Shakugan no Shana

Elements, Themes, or Narrative Structure Similar to Mahou Shoujo:
The Vision of Escaflowne
Kill la Kill
Slayers
Sky Girls
Endoro~!

I've liked the genre ever since I saw "Cardcaptors" on US television. I later bought the DVDs of "Cardcaptor Sakura." A few years back I got ahold of and watched all the "Sailor Moon" series in their original versions with subtitles. I had never actually seen it on TV.

Back in 2011 I was a huge fan of studio SHAFT. I'd watched "Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei" half a dozen times. "Bakemonogatari", "Pani Poni Dash", "Natsu no Arashi", all of their stuff. So I had been watching their "Hidamari Sketch" series. So we got SHAFT, Hidamari Sketch art style, and Mahou Shoujo all put together in a new series coming out: "Magi Puella Madoka Magica."

Realize that back then all the promo material, trailers, etc was making the series out to be a regular Mahou Shoujo series. So I was truly going into it blind. So yeah, it totally blew me away and is essentially my favorite series of all. On top of that, after episode 10 had aired the tsunami hit Japan. So for two weeks we were wondering if the show was even going to be completed! Back at the end of August 2020 it seriously broke my heart that they shut down the Magia Record NA servers out of nowhere. The main story was written by the same guy that wrote the original series. That's what got me into it, as I don't normally play mobile games.

I've hated all the overtly edgy series purporting to be Mahou Shoujo that have come out since then. Mahou Shoujo isn't about transformations, cute animals, and costumes. It is characterized by its narrative structure. Taking some other genre and dressing it up in costumes doesn't make it a Mahou Shoujo series. The best I've been able to distill it down to is, at a minimum:
  • Young female protagonist(s)
  • Coming of age story (usually with a "mentor" character)
  • Powers that need to be activated, not innate to the character (e.g. transformations)
  • Fighting against entities that threaten the people where she lives (not going on a long quest; not fighting strictly mundane humans)
  • The story largely needs to focus on the girl(s) and the people she meets/knows.

Anyway, "Akazukin Chacha" was the first on my list of older series to go through. Stuff from the late 80's and 90's that I never got around to watching. I've seen a lot of series from that period retroactively. But I actually started watching anime back in 2001 with "Martian Successor Nadesico" and "Neon Genesis Evangelion." Back when you had to buy a VHS tape with three episodes on it for $24.99. Later they came out with DVDs with four episodes on them for $27.99. One of my friends had a part time job working with his dad, so he was the one who could afford them. It wasn't until 2005 that torrents and fansubs became a really common thing.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)