• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

The Beauty Thread

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I wanted to post a thread that was a bit more cheerful than coronavirus stuff, and I've noticed and engaged with some of the skincare posts in the profile posts sidebar, so I thought why not create an entire beauty thread?

This can be about anything to do with makeup, skincare, hair products, nails, etc. Feel free to go nuts about any aspects of beauty, or even the wider beauty community if you feel like ranting.

Right now, with corona running around the world and my country in lockdown, I have zero reason to put on makeup for a while, so I'm just focusing on skincare for a bit and giving my face a break from makeup. :tongue: I jumped on the toner bandwagon a few weeks ago after misbelieving for a long time that since I have dry skin, I didn't need it (pro tip: alcohol-free toners exist!), and it's already made such a huge difference in the way my face feels to touch and how makeup sits on it. I've also been using a body cream every night after I shower (because my skin always felt super-dry after bathing), and it's been feeling a lot less "tight" and itchy at night than it used to; and a Vitamin E-infused eye cream, which seems to be bringing my natural skin colour back to my dark circles. Once corona blows over, I was thinking of treating myself to high end makeup for the first time in my life (like an eyeshadow palette or something), but my cheap self always balks at the prices in pound sterling. ^^;

Aia

DDR-tist
Jul 14, 2019
The Internet™
What's funny is that for me, I'm actually putting on makeup more often than I did before the virus haha. I always wanted to show up to school and go out looking my best, but it's kind of impossible to do that when you get up at 5 in the morning half-asleep (not to mention that I only have ten minutes to get dressed lmao). Now that quarantine is a thing, I finally have time to put on my makeup and try out different looks. I'm planning on using what I got and imitate some famous looks throughout the decades or something. The only bad thing is that I have to truly know what I'm doing since I want to ration my makeup remover.

When this virus passes, I'm planning on buying myself some new lipstick and in another color other than nude or pink, maybe red???

My hands have also been severely damaged from washing my hands all the time now (note to self: scented hand soap is a bad idea). I have to apply lotion a lot more than I had to but I don't know what to do about the irritation I still have.

(By the way, thanks for putting up this thread!! I've always wanted to talk about beauty with other people!)

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
WHO SUMMONED ME

Now that I don't have a daily routine to distract me, I've been picking at my face more... it's hell. There's not a whole lot I can do to distract myself other than go take a walk or something, and that only takes up thirty minutes to an hour of the twenty hours I'm typically awake.

However, I caved this weekend and went to Target, where I got two new cleansers: a cleansing oil (DHC, super highly-recommended in like all skincare circles) and La Roche-Possay's Hydrating Cleanser. I'm liking both of them, though the hydrating cleanser weirds me out a little since it doesn't lather at all... it feels like it's just sliding right off my face without even touching it. I know that's not the case, but it'll take some getting used to.

I also stole a moisturizer from one of my mom's monthly beauty boxes (she never uses the skincare products, so I claim them as my own). I adore it so far!! It's got a light peachy scent and makes my skin feel velvety. It's a sample size, so once the virus blows over I'd love to treat myself to the full size, though according to Sephora it hasn't been released yet...

@Blue Of Mind What toner are you using? I've been diving into the world of hydrating toners myself! Currently using Laneige's Cream Skin toner. Have you heard of the Seven Skins Method? Basically, you pat a layer of toner into your skin, wait for it to dry, then do it again, seven times. It's supposed to be great for dry skin. I think it sounds a tad excessive, but I've been doing a double-layer of toner, and I think my skin's getting a bit softer as a result.

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
What's funny is that for me, I'm actually putting on makeup more often than I did before the virus haha. I always wanted to show up to school and go out looking my best, but it's kind of impossible to do that when you get up at 5 in the morning half-asleep (not to mention that I only have ten minutes to get dressed lmao). Now that quarantine is a thing, I finally have time to put on my makeup and try out different looks. I'm planning on using what I got and imitate some famous looks throughout the decades or something. The only bad thing is that I have to truly know what I'm doing since I want to ration my makeup remover.
Meanwhile, I managed to do a full face of makeup and fix up my hair in half an hour after 6AM when I still had my 8AM start job. :LOL: It's interesting how people have different levels of commitment for grooming. I used to never do anything with my appearance when I was a depressed kid, but now i almost always make an effort as a much happier adult.

When this virus passes, I'm planning on buying myself some new lipstick and in another color other than nude or pink, maybe red???
I love lipstick, but lipstick doesn't like me - it always sits on my dry-as-a-desert lips and it goes all patchy and chapped by lunchtime. :(

My hands have also been severely damaged from washing my hands all the time now (note to self: scented hand soap is a bad idea). I have to apply lotion a lot more than I had to but I don't know what to do about the irritation I still have.
I started using a lavender-scented hand cream a couple weeks ago because they were constantly getting dry this winter, and it seems to be working well.

(By the way, thanks for putting up this thread!! I've always wanted to talk about beauty with other people!)
No problem! I also wanted a place to talk about beauty without it attracting the "bitchy" side of the beauty community.

WHO SUMMONED ME
Your skincare posts inspired me to make this thread. :P

Now that I don't have a daily routine to distract me, I've been picking at my face more... it's hell. There's not a whole lot I can do to distract myself other than go take a walk or something, and that only takes up thirty minutes to an hour of the twenty hours I'm typically awake.
I grew a whitehead a couple weeks back, and I popped it like a dumbass and it turned into a scab that bled like crazy when I picked it. (And yet when this scab goes, I will pick at the next spot that turns up on my chin...)

@Blue Of Mind What toner are you using? I've been diving into the world of hydrating toners myself! Currently using Laneige's Cream Skin toner. Have you heard of the Seven Skins Method? Basically, you pat a layer of toner into your skin, wait for it to dry, then do it again, seven times. It's supposed to be great for dry skin. I think it sounds a tad excessive, but I've been doing a double-layer of toner, and I think my skin's getting a bit softer as a result.
I'm currently using the Simple Soothing Facial Toner, probably the only drugstore toner in the UK that's completely alcohol free. I don't know if Simple is available in the US, but it's everywhere in the UK because it's a budget-friendly and sensitive skin-friendly brand. (My stepdad uses their shower gel because it's the only one his skin can stand.)

I'm lazy with applying the toner though, so I just put two or three quick spills into my hand and rub the toner onto my face. It still feels soft, but I might try a double layer and see if it feels softer.

Reactions: Aia and peaches2217

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
I'm currently using the Simple Soothing Facial Toner, probably the only drugstore toner in the UK that's completely alcohol free. I don't know if Simple is available in the US, but it's everywhere in the UK because it's a budget-friendly and sensitive skin-friendly brand. (My stepdad uses their shower gel because it's the only one his skin can stand.)
Ooh, we DO have Simple here! It's an excellent brand. That said, the toner has witch hazel in it, which can really dry out the skin; if you start having problems down the road, try looking for one that's witch hazel-free. Heritage Store Rosewater Toner is a good, cheap one that gets recommended a lot in my skincare groups, though I'm not sure if it's available in the UK... regardless, if the Simple is working for you, keep at it!

This is a great time to perfect my eyeliner skills. I intend to go into quarantine with a smudgy mess, and come out sharp as a blade. :ruby_ani_lili:
YAAAAS. Eyeliner is like the only makeup I routinely wear, outside of concealer. A tip that my friend taught me is to draw the tip of the wing first, right where you want it to be, then connect it to the rest of your eyelid. That's helped me really perfect my liner looks.

Reactions: lIlI

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I love makeup. I wear a lot of makeup. I'm not as involved in the beauty community as I used to be (in high school I watched a ton of beauty youtubers and was in a lot of beauty groups, now I'm not engaged in either), but I kind of like it better not being as involved.
I'm not really much of a skincare person honestly, I have a routine I stick to and it works fairly well, but I'm not crazy about trying new things. Makeup is much more my thing. :mirai_ani_lili:

Anyone have a favorite matte lipstick they recommend? I'm always buying new lipsticks because I actually go through them very fast. I actually quite like Sephora's Lipstick Story Collection, I think they're fairly good quality and they're very affordable.

Aia

DDR-tist
Jul 14, 2019
The Internet™
I found this really neat channel today! It's an archive of vintage beauty ranging from the 20s to the 70s from what I've seen so far. It has old videos on beauty tips, fashion and etiquette from each decade

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: peaches2217

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
This is a great time to perfect my eyeliner skills. I intend to go into quarantine with a smudgy mess, and come out sharp as a blade. :ruby_ani_lili:
I tried a pen eyeliner a while back, but I couldn't get the hang of winged eyeliner, and then the pen dried out after only a month of use. If I can find a nicer brown pen eyeliner the next time I go to a supermarket (at risk of being side eyed by the judgemental folk in my town who are currently paranoid over corona), I might practise again.

I use brown eyeliner all the time because I'm a traditional pale redhead. All-black eye makeup looks way too harsh on me. I use black mascara, but I soften my eye looks with brown eyeliner.

Ooh, we DO have Simple here! It's an excellent brand. That said, the toner has witch hazel in it, which can really dry out the skin; if you start having problems down the road, try looking for one that's witch hazel-free. Heritage Store Rosewater Toner is a good, cheap one that gets recommended a lot in my skincare groups, though I'm not sure if it's available in the UK... regardless, if the Simple is working for you, keep at it!
I'll keep the witch hazel issue in mind if my skin gets any drier for no reason. The only other time I've used witch hazel was to heal up a nasty bruise I got from messing up my foot as a kid, and I didn't have any reactions then so I don't know how I react to it now so far.

Reactions: Krin

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
I tried a pen eyeliner a while back, but I couldn't get the hang of winged eyeliner, and then the pen dried out after only a month of use. If I can find a nicer brown pen eyeliner the next time I go to a supermarket (at risk of being side eyed by the judgemental folk in my town who are currently paranoid over corona), I might practise again.

I use brown eyeliner all the time because I'm a traditional pale redhead. All-black eye makeup looks way too harsh on me. I use black mascara, but I soften my eye looks with brown eyeliner.
my go to quick n easy liquid eyeliner pen has always alwaysalwaysalways been L'oreal's superliner. I usually order mine on amazon here but it's cheap enough that i'd think it'd be in any supermarket.

HOWEVER MY UTMOST FAVOURITE EYELINER has gotta be the Haus Laboratories eyeliner. I'm a fan of brown eyeliner too, and since loreal's eyeliner isn't available in brown (at least not on amazon???) THIS has been what i wear when i wear brown liquid eyeliner. the brush is really thin, and the right amount of firm where it doesn't tug on your eye and make it all jagged and EW. they last quite awhile so i've bought both colours before. i end up using the brown more than i use the black, but somedays i use big black bold wings when i'm feeling like an e-girl :) I swear i'm not advertising haus it's just their eyeliner SLAPS

Reactions: Blue Of Mind

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
I've said in the 'What Will You Do After Corona' thread that I was thinking of getting hair extensions once the panic over corona blows over, but when I asked my mom about the idea, she said, "Why don't you just take some hair vitamins?"

...Good point, Mom. They're probably more cost-effective in the long run if they work on my hair. ^^;

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
Watch out - hair vitamins are for people that have a deficiency, they probably won't help unless you have a pre-existing condition. Unfortunately, due to lax supplement laws in a lot of countries (in the USA they aren't classified as medicine for example, meaning they don't have to verify any of their claims), this usually isn't made clear on the packaging... I say go for extensions if you want! But the good news is that your hair will grow fabulously without spending a penny.

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
Watch out - hair vitamins are for people that have a deficiency, they probably won't help unless you have a pre-existing condition. Unfortunately, due to lax supplement laws in a lot of countries (in the USA they aren't classified as medicine for example, meaning they don't have to verify any of their claims), this usually isn't made clear on the packaging... I say go for extensions if you want! But the good news is that your hair will grow fabulously without spending a penny.
I have been doing the research, and I've uncovered that bit of info. I haven't been diagnosed with any deficiencies (though I do suspect an iron deficiency, but considering the corona panic, I can't get any tests done for that for a long while), so I might hold off on the vitamin idea and consider my options. I'm guessing hair extensions are the more expensive but safer bet then.

Reactions: Krin and lIlI

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
i've always thought about trying those hair growth gummies (sugar bear i think the brand was??? idk it was kinda popular) but assumed it was just gonna have like a placebo effect. plus it already costs big fat bucks to dye my hair every few months that if i pile on hair extensions too my wallet's gonna get rekt

although now i'm curious how hair dying works with hair extensions...

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
although now i'm curious how hair dying works with hair extensions...
If you buy hair extensions made out of real human hair, you can dye them as you would do with hair growing normally on your scalp. Same thing with straightening or curling them since again, it's real hair. Obviously, you can't do these with synthetic extensions because you'll damage the hell out of them.

For me, the challenge with extensions is finding ones in red shades to begin with, let alone a red that matches my natural auburn so I can highlight it blonde and have a perfect match...

Reactions: Krin

Aia

DDR-tist
Jul 14, 2019
The Internet™
I tried to curl my hair today, but sadly using the curling iron didn't work. I think it's because my hair is really thick and straight. But luckily my mom found some curling rods, and with some hairspray my curls look better than they did when I used the curling iron. I can just imagine all the hairstyles I can try out now that I have these rods...

Reactions: peaches2217

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
My mother has a bunch of subscription boxes, and she always tosses the skincare samples because she just wants the makeup, which means I get to experiment! But I've never been so hooked on a product from her reject pile as I have been Fresh's Lotus Youth Preserve moisturizer. I haven't loved a moisturizer this much since my very first moisturizer (which was a Korean aloe moisturizer that felt and smelled wonderful, but was LOADED with ethanol, which is Very Not Good for skin...). It's thicker than moisturizers I usually use, but it doesn't clog my pores. It leaves my face feeling velvety soft. And it smells like peaches and cream! It's so amazing!

The sample was 15ml, so I recently ran out... and our Sephora is still shut down. I'm normally quite paranoid about getting skincare shipped from online, but I'm considering it. Hydro Boost just doesn't hit the same.

Reactions: WyndReed and Aia

Blue Of Mind

Apr 8, 2018
I'm thinking of making my first "sort of fancier makeup than the drugstore" purchase be the Glossier Perfecting Skin Tint and Stretch Concealer. I've come to the conclusion now that normal foundations are just way too heavy on my skin, but tracking down something that doesn't turn orange on my pale skin has been a nightmare, so with Glossier offering something for my type of pale (G12), I'm hoping if I do buy them, it'll work well on me. (They also offer bundle deals, so I can get them both for a bit cheaper than just buying them separately.)

Reactions: Aia and peaches2217

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
I'm thinking of making my first "sort of fancier makeup than the drugstore" purchase be the Glossier Perfecting Skin Tint and Stretch Concealer. I've come to the conclusion now that normal foundations are just way too heavy on my skin, but tracking down something that doesn't turn orange on my pale skin has been a nightmare, so with Glossier offering something for my type of pale (G12), I'm hoping if I do buy them, it'll work well on me. (They also offer bundle deals, so I can get them both for a bit cheaper than just buying them separately.)
I’ve heard nothing but good things about Glossier, so I think it’s an excellent idea! I know the feeling of drugstore foundations being too heavy; with me, they also look too orange. A foundation can claim to be for cool-toned individuals and it’ll still make me look like a certain pseudo-fascist president. So I splurged and got a Tarte foundation, and it’s been an absolute Godsend!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)