• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Underrated voicebanks

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Ummm actually @TheStarPalace , Cantor was the first competitor to vocaloid way back in the v1 era. The results are about on the same level of chip speech it's really underrated and kinda old but it offers a 34 voices in german and english.

also that mew song was great
Yeah I did think of cantor while I was making the post, but cevio was more obviously inspired by vocaloid. Cantor is nice though

Reactions: AddictiveCUL (Add)

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Yeah I did think of cantor while I was making the post, but cevio was more obviously inspired by vocaloid. Cantor is nice though
I feel that Cantor fell off relatively quickly because the quality of its VBs were nowhere near as good as Vocaloid at the time. CeVIO stood out because the quality was an audible step up from UTAU (for contemporary comparison), despite the engine noise.

Aside from some mentions that I agree with like Mew, I'm gonna be boring and nominate Gachapoid/Ryuto as an underrated VB. His voice is intentionally weird and hard to work with, but it also means finding a really good song with him feels more worthwhile.

___

Oct 8, 2019
CeVIO stood out because the quality was an audible step up from UTAU
I wouldn't really say that's the case, even at the time of Cevio's release, a really HQ utau vb, back then and now, is still way better than really HQ cevio ( maybe Cevio AI is on equal grounds with some utaus but I'd need to listen some more to it ). But yeah, Cevio def was in such state, in terms of quality, where people would consider it.

And lemme just throw it..........:nana_lili:....I understand why she is where she is....but.....that doesn't mean I don't think it's still unfair :clara_ani_lili:

ThePipofDespair

New Fan
Jul 13, 2021
I feel Wil does not get anywhere near enough attention, Zola Project as is is already a pretty unpopular voicebank group but even within the group itself Wil is notably the least popular from what I have seen and it sucks cause Wil has such an amazing voice if you want a soft male vocal he is the cream of the crop imo

Look at me ranting about a male voicebank for the first time in my life
I'd argue Yuu is the least popular member. I see people properly use Kyo and Wil a LOT more than they do him. Also yes, Wil is amazing.

nene

OSTER project fan!!!
Oct 13, 2023
Ah... Merli is pretty underrated I think! Outside of her demos, i've rarely heard original songs using her, or any buzz around her???

She's very very very gorgeous, and her voice has good power and is one of the more "mature" tones of V3 so it's a shame she's never gotten much spotlight.

AddictiveCUL (Add)

CUL addicted!
Jan 6, 2023
youtube.com
Well, obviously I can't start my coment without saying: CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL!!! SHE IS SO UNDERRATED THAT EVEN YOU GUYS FORGOT HER, THAT'S SO UNFAIR! :cul_lili:

Kkkkkkkkkk just kidding, but I really think CUL is underrated. I also agree that Will sees way more love than the blonde one (He and Kyo are personaly my favorites and I love them), so I will also mention him as an underrated vocaloid VB.

I totally agree with all Ceviloids and Synthloids are very underrated (Kevin and Rose, my beloveds! T3T) so I won't mention them besides these two.

Tbh, for me the most underrated voicebanks are: Yumemi Nemu, Macne Nana, Rana, Unity, Arsloid, Mew, Miki, Aoki Lapis and Merli. I'm not a huge fan of the argument "Urr durr, this voicebank is hard to work with, urr durr!" because expecting all voicebanks to be the same in usage is kinda... not cool and doesn't make sense at all XD But even thinking that way I unfortunately have to agree that not all "underrated" voicebanks has quality enough to be considered an "underrated" vb (I know, I'm a hypocrite XD).

So, by using the logic of "high quality vbs that aren't used as much as they deserves" as I way to measure who is underrated and who is just not a good vb to work with, I have to agree that just those I mentioned are really underrated gems. Specially Unity-chan that looks so high quality that she seems to be just ready to be mixed, while other voicebanks you need to do some vocal proccessing to make them sound cool.

But if I didn't go by this logic I would say anyone except for Miku, Luka, Kagamine Twins, Kaito and Gumi deserves way more love. And if it was just by "how much fans exists in their fandom" I totally agree that the real underrated gems are Chika, Mew, Arsloid, Unity-chan and Merli (But specially Chika and Mew). Bro, no one talks about them ever. I'm so happy I found CatYss channel that uses Chika a lot, hope I see a Mew channel too! *3

MillyAqualine

Hardcore Fan
Apr 11, 2018
I'd say galaco but it seems she gets a slightly boosting popularity (though it's far more discret than let's say, IA)

However I do admit MEW is very underrated as she has a beautiful voice, but being the one who kinda started "typical mature mild-soft female vocal V3" trend, and the fact she didn't have any appends or languages and a comics-like appearance with gothic and black-and-white fashionista gimmick in the pool of cutesy colourful characters, probably gave some people the wrong impression

Then any Engloid that isn't Avanna, TOnIo (now he got some fame through memes), Big al (ditto) Sweet ann, Dex, daina, ruby is kinda underrated, and the fact the V1 got retired didn't help either (even though Miriam had her fair share of popularity and towards the end it seems more people aknowledged more Léon and lola)

Bruno and Clara since they tend to get a bit overshadowed by MAIKa and the fact the Spanish vocaloids are only 3 (mind you, besides the Korean girls, they're the tiniest language pool ever of the engine)

Mo qingxian though I always felt she had some popularity as being a Vsinger and being considered as the "Chinese Luka" by some users both for her graceful appearance and her voice tone being close

Rion was underrated too though it seemed with V4 and her packaging with Nemu kinda help her getting a boost, ditto for Azuki and Matcha getting revamped out of the Project 575 and V2 lite engine into V4 full banks

Arsloid is either underrated or midrated because of his appends (that are kinda like the hybrid step between evec and full-fleshed appends), personnally I like him and not only because I lvoe ginger-haired characters and find ginger hair pretty IRL

Kiyo is in the same boat as arsloid, he gained some popularity, but when you compare him with Yuki, Miki and especially Iroha, he's a bit left out

I'd say Mirai could sometimes fall into this as well, because some people felt she was like an adult orange-haired Rin and the fact she stands out a bit marketing-wise

Same comment for Sachiko whom "marketing" was "announcement three days prior her release even though she's voiced by a legend of Japanese music

All Colours (except maybe Minato and Kasumi) from Cevio, Takahashi got a boost with the announcement of his update, before I felt he was criminally underrated and among them, I'd say Koharu since she's a singer that is kinda aiming in the same direction as Sachiko making her a bit niche (though it gives her voice flavour and I enjoyed using her on a cover of Perfume along with Airi and Kasumi), without mentioning Yuudai who suffers from some issues making him a bit harder to tune and needing more careful mixing and the fact they retired didn't help either

Heruru Meruru

THE v@SHFUCKER Dearly Stars
HIO is basically the only bilingual Vocaloid that doesn't lose power when singing in English. It's less impressive now that we have other engines and cross language synths but for a while I personally think he was the best voice bank for daijoubu we do it all the time sort of bilingual rock songs.

I still find myself drawn to him because he responds very well to my weird way of tuning and it's easy to get him to sing with emotion and power.

AddictiveCUL (Add)

CUL addicted!
Jan 6, 2023
youtube.com
HIO is basically the only bilingual Vocaloid that doesn't lose power when singing in English. It's less impressive now that we have other engines and cross language synths but for a while I personally think he was the best voice bank for daijoubu we do it all the time sort of bilingual rock songs.

I still find myself drawn to him because he responds very well to my weird way of tuning and it's easy to get him to sing with emotion and power.
Kyo is really a great voicebank! I love his voice too, it's really high quality!

Reactions: PearlStarLight5

Mika

crying over Rune Factory 6
Jul 5, 2018
Germany
I'd say a huge amount of V3 vocals and a decent amount of V4 vocals all fall under the description of underrated. We got so many really good voices all at once, it was to be expected that some would be forgotten in the masses. Right now I feel like Aoki Lapis, Merli, CUL, Nemu, Anon&Kanon, Mew, Lily and Mirai are some of the most overlooked ones. They have SUCH good songs and covers that get barely any views at all, it's so sad.

And, of course, Mayu. She's still less underrated than some other vocals mentioned, but I feel like especially her lower range is completely overlooked!
I uploaded this 7 years ago so idk what the vsqx was anymore but my god, Mayu has such a lovely lower range and people need to use it more.
https://clyp.it/qhutt1iv

Last edited:

AmazingStrange39

Miku-Avanna-Gumi enthusiast
May 23, 2019
Well, obviously I can't start my coment without saying: CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL!!! SHE IS SO UNDERRATED THAT EVEN YOU GUYS FORGOT HER, THAT'S SO UNFAIR! :cul_lili:

Kkkkkkkkkk just kidding, but I really think CUL is underrated. I also agree that Will sees way more love than the blonde one (He and Kyo are personaly my favorites and I love them), so I will also mention him as an underrated vocaloid VB.

I totally agree with all Ceviloids and Synthloids are very underrated (Kevin and Rose, my beloveds! T3T) so I won't mention them besides these two.

Tbh, for me the most underrated voicebanks are: Yumemi Nemu, Macne Nana, Rana, Unity, Arsloid, Mew, Miki, Aoki Lapis and Merli. I'm not a huge fan of the argument "Urr durr, this voicebank is hard to work with, urr durr!" because expecting all voicebanks to be the same in usage is kinda... not cool and doesn't make sense at all XD But even thinking that way I unfortunately have to agree that not all "underrated" voicebanks has quality enough to be considered an "underrated" vb (I know, I'm a hypocrite XD).

So, by using the logic of "high quality vbs that aren't used as much as they deserves" as I way to measure who is underrated and who is just not a good vb to work with, I have to agree that just those I mentioned are really underrated gems. Specially Unity-chan that looks so high quality that she seems to be just ready to be mixed, while other voicebanks you need to do some vocal proccessing to make them sound cool.

But if I didn't go by this logic I would say anyone except for Miku, Luka, Kagamine Twins, Kaito and Gumi deserves way more love. And if it was just by "how much fans exists in their fandom" I totally agree that the real underrated gems are Chika, Mew, Arsloid, Unity-chan and Merli (But specially Chika and Mew). Bro, no one talks about them ever. I'm so happy I found CatYss channel that uses Chika a lot, hope I see a Mew channel too! *3
yeah, i honestly don't mind vbs that provide a bit of challenge myself. i did go out of my way to buy miku v3 english and gumi english after all haha

meanwhile my one japanese package, miku v4x, is EASY PEASY haha

• Haha

AddictiveCUL (Add)

CUL addicted!
Jan 6, 2023
youtube.com
I'd say a huge amount of V3 vocals and a decent amount of V4 vocals all fall under the description of underrated. We got so many really good voices all at once, it was to be expected that some would be forgotten in the masses. Right now I feel like Aoki Lapis, Merli, CUL, Nemu, Anon&Kanon, Mew, Lily and Mirai are some of the most overlooked ones. They have SUCH good songs and covers that get barely any views at all, it's so sad.

And, of course, Mayu. She's still less underrated than some other vocals mentioned, but I feel like especially her lower range is completely overlooked!
I uploaded this 7 years ago so idk what the vsqx was anymore but my god, Mayu has such a lovely lower range and people need to use it more.
https://clyp.it/qhutt1iv
Ohh mi god, Mayu's lower range definetly is something to not be overlooked O.O This sounds gorgeous! And I totally agree that Mayu deserves even more love!

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
I'm new to this kind of topic, if underrated mean something not valued high enough, then I think Unity-chan and Lumi fit the description quite well and maybe Kizuna Akari but her voiceloid and doujin stuffs is very popular though. Until AI came in.

Unity-chan sound surprisingly similar to Akiko Hasegawa, a Miki hoshii voice actress (an high energetic character from idolm@ster)
Lumi is kinda unusual and feel awkward use in the sense that it does not behave the same as other vocaloids and her tonal is different when she sing lower or higher note, this may explain why she have such a massive files size when install (like over 3GB+ iirc) while other vocaloids average around 600MB to 2GB+

I think, i never hear these name i mention once, even on vocaloids ranking. Users are very rare, let alone made it to niconico ranking.

AmazingStrange39

Miku-Avanna-Gumi enthusiast
May 23, 2019
I'm new to this kind of topic, if underrated mean something not valued high enough, then I think Unity-chan and Lumi fit the description quite well and maybe Kizuna Akari but her voiceloid and doujin stuffs is very popular though. Until AI came in.

Unity-chan sound surprisingly similar to Akiko Hasegawa, a Miki hoshii voice actress (an high energetic character from idolm@ster)
Lumi is kinda unusual and feel awkward use in the sense that it does not behave the same as other vocaloids and her tonal is different when she sing lower or higher note, this may explain why she have such a massive files size when install (like over 3GB+ iirc) while other vocaloids average around 600MB to 2GB+

I think, i never hear these name i mention once, even on vocaloids ranking. Users are very rare, let alone made it to niconico ranking.
I heard Lumi was done all in one take

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)