• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

Megami Chan

鏡音リン・鏡音レン・CUL・巡音ルカ・MEIKO
Jul 5, 2018
www.nicovideo.jp
[LIST said:
[*]Rin's VBs are much more flexible than Len's. I don't understand why he has such popularity when his banks aren't all that great.
[/LIST]
After I first started using Rin's voice, I decided that Len should just go take a hike. (I don't think that quoted right at all)

I feel like all japanese anime girls are chipmunky (Unless it goes against their character) and sometimes regular japanese girls do it in music videos I see. I think that it comes from trying to act cute, and so when Americans try to emulate it, it's not very natural sounding. It's not the norm in the US. Some word inflections might sound forced because of the squeezing down on the voice.

When you do that, you will sound like a 'cartoon character' to me and not like an actual person. But, Jubyphonic's audience is a bunch of animes fans and are used to or maybe prefer the chipmunky sounding voice.

This is what I have gathered on my own, so don't quote me on anything.
Okay, that makes sense. Still doesn’t make me like her any more, but it’s good to know that’s (hopefully) nlt her natural voice.

Eviltreat16

Probably an Artist, Probably a Praying Mantis
Apr 8, 2018
Okay, that makes sense. Still doesn’t make me like her any more, but it’s good to know that’s (hopefully) nlt her natural voice.
Juby has done some voice acting for anime here and there. I think she was the main girl in Nozaki-kun? She sounds slightly less high-pitched I would say but I've only watched a few scenes of the dub.

Personally, I like Len but I wish he had a 'warmer' voicebank and not just Cold/Serious (Power's fine) because they sound too same-y to me. Rin's warm and sweet at least sound different. On the actual using his voice side though, can't say because I don't own them but I can only imagine he'd be more difficult to use for a few reasons...

Reactions: MoaHarbor

sleepysheep7

GET OFF MY LAWN YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS!!!
Apr 8, 2018
Here’s another one of mine.

I can’t stand JubyPhonic or any of the Utautaits (is that what they’re called?). But Juby’s voice in particular drives me insane. It’s so... squeaky and whiny. I’m sure she’s nice but I will never understand how she got so popular. But I can’t stabd any of the English/American cover artists. I only really listen to CheezItsAreYummy, Poucet, and done other foreign artists.
I just needed to rant.
I can think another reason she got popular is that her dubs seem to emulate pretty close to what the original lyrics are suppose to be. As for voice yeah some of her stuff sounds like it is trying to hard to be cute but that is just what her fans want. I think in some of her lower songs she sound good since she was trained in Jazz and not pop iirc.

RabbitWhale39

Devout Mikuist
Apr 25, 2018
Here’s another one of mine.

I can’t stand JubyPhonic or any of the Utautaits (is that what they’re called?). But Juby’s voice in particular drives me insane. It’s so... squeaky and whiny. I’m sure she’s nice but I will never understand how she got so popular. But I can’t stabd any of the English/American cover artists. I only really listen to CheezItsAreYummy, Poucet, and done other foreign artists.
I just needed to rant.
Logically something I should like listening to, but I can't stand Juby either.

First Sound Future

Passionate Fan
Apr 8, 2018
I really don't know why but I kinda want an female Engloid that literally copies Miku; almost sounds the same as Miku (or at least sounds similar), wears twin tails, a skirt, thigh high socks/boots... Just everything or almost everything Miku-like lol. Something similar to SeeU or Luniang except aimed at the English Vocaloid community I guess. I think I'm just interested how would the fandom react or something. Tbh whoever actually does it would probably have to change her due to the complaints since iirc something similar happend with Stardust, but I'm still interested whether something like an English Vocaloid company copying almost everything Miku is could ever happen. ?

Edit: Just remembered it's called "Miku Formula" when certain elements from Miku are copied.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoaHarbor

Eviltreat16

Apr 8, 2018
Ya, there's a Miku Formula. I believe it's on the Vocaloid Wiki somewhere? Basically it's using the power of moe.

I would take a Miku Formula Engloid. I personally don't think there's a super cutesy-sounding Engloid anyway, and we kinda need that eventually.

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
Ya, there's a Miku Formula. I believe it's on the Vocaloid Wiki somewhere? Basically it's using the power of moe.

I would take a Miku Formula Engloid. I personally don't think there's a super cutesy-sounding Engloid anyway, and we kinda need that eventually.
Not really. That's what's popular in Asia, for a breakout vocal like Miku, we'd need a character more like Sweet Ann. Westerns generally don't like cutesy music.

First Sound Future

Passionate Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Miku Formula is mentioned here, under character issues/design influence, here is an image specifying what it is:

I do agree that westerns don't usually like cutesy music, but with the Vocaloid fandom it's different I think since many seem to enjoy songs from Mitchie M for example so a cutesy Engloid might just work. Maybe not outside of the Vocaloid fandom but who knows, Dex and Daina are doing pretty well sales wise and they were aimed at the fandom.

Last edited:

Eviltreat16

Apr 8, 2018
PowerFX's attempt to aim at EDM producers failed, and Zero-G is thriving with their fandom focus.

Alot of anime fans in the West would still hop on that bandwagon of a 'Miku forumla' Vocaloid. If we could pinpoint a more 'Western' version of that using feedback, research, etc., I feel that would accomplish the same.

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
Ruby had other issues though, the marketing might not be the *whole* story here.

It is true that AD&D have caught on well with the fandom... and outside, to some extent.

Reactions: ThatGirlMyra

sleepysheep7

Apr 8, 2018

Does Nana macne and miku not count?

Eviltreat16

Apr 8, 2018
Does Nana macne and miku not count?
I was referring to an original Western Vocaloid versus a bilingual already existing/Eastern Vocaloid (i.e those two). I mean, Macne more or less kept her same design anyways, same with the original Miku English minus the different art style.

Even then, I don't think Miku English is very cutesy to be honest. I think she's a nice-sounding vocal and different from several Engloids, but she's not cutesy at all (especially V3). Macne Nana IS a cutesy English vocal, but I haven't seen a lot of her V4 English usage sadly, and was pre-existing as a Japanese voicebank prior as a UTAU(IDK if the Macloids are UTAUs are something else).

I also think that Miku formula isn't inherently bad, as they're just a collection of tropes/traits often used in media even if you don't notice. A lot of those tropes used in said formula were in Anime around the same time, if not earlier than 2007. While if a 'Miku-Formula esque' was made, I don't want it to be straight copy Miku because it would probs flop, but, that formula could be utilized to honestly develop a solid Vocaloid design. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, that formula may be slightly different for Western fans. this is before discussing if that Vocaloid would appeal to a professional market or EDM or whatever market outside of fandom because this is the West ya know...wow this got long I am so sorry I didn't think this topic would blow up ehehe

sleepysheep7

Apr 8, 2018
I was referring to an original Western Vocaloid versus a bilingual already existing/Eastern Vocaloid (i.e those two). I mean, Macne more or less kept her same design anyways, same with the original Miku English minus the different art style.

Even then, I don't think Miku English is very cutesy to be honest. I think she's a nice-sounding vocal and different from several Engloids, but she's not cutesy at all (especially V3). Macne Nana IS a cutesy English vocal, but I haven't seen a lot of her V4 English usage sadly, and was pre-existing as a Japanese voicebank prior as a UTAU(IDK if the Macloids are UTAUs are something else).

I also think that Miku formula isn't inherently bad, as they're just a collection of tropes/traits often used in media even if you don't notice. A lot of those tropes used in said formula were in Anime around the same time, if not earlier than 2007. While if a 'Miku-Formula esque' was made, I don't want it to be straight copy Miku because it would probs flop, but, that formula could be utilized to honestly develop a solid Vocaloid design. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, that formula may be slightly different for Western fans. this is before discussing if that Vocaloid would appeal to a professional market or EDM or whatever market outside of fandom because this is the West ya know...wow this got long I am so sorry I didn't think this topic would blow up ehehe
Fair enough. I know when I think cute for western vocals I think disney princess voice like ariel from the little mermaid but a lot of people say she is womanly. But for a western design that is cute I would say something like that new age simple design you see over on instagram and what not of a large sweat used as dress with maybe some sneakers or something. (You will have to forgive me I am terrible at design Ideas. it is ironically the one thing I am not looking forward to when I am done with my UTAU)

First Sound Future

Passionate Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Since Nana was mentioned I'll share an unpopular opinion about her. I used her English trial so I at least know how she sounds in the engine, don't know about Miku since I didn't use her trial at all so I won't say anything.

Nana has so much potential to be a good cutesy English capable Vocaloid but her pronunciation is just awful. There's also other problems that I couldn't explain too well but I think the pronunciation and maybe even the way she says things(like, the voice) are the worst of them. I remember reading on the Vocaloid Wiki that Mandarin and French (back when those who made Nana thought Alys would be a thing) were also possible languages for Nana which made me wonder how would she sound in them if she sounds bad singing English. I think I even remember Nana's team acknowledging this on Soundcloud, asking in the description whether Nana English sounds "so-so" or "so bad" without "so good" but I might have also just misunderstood something...

I don't believe Nana is a good cutesy English Vocaloid and I'm unfortunately starting to dislike it when people suggest her in any way, be it suggesting as a potential Vocaloid to someone or even just mentioning her as a Vocaloid of good quality, I just don't think she's the latter whatsoever. If she was we'd probably see more English originals/covers with her.

I think that was worded terribly, but when Nana was mentioned I really wanted to share my opinion since I remember sometimes seeing people praise her and I disagreed a lot, still do. But if Miku's English keeps improving maybe Nana's could too one day... I'd love to be able to appreciate her cute English vocal one day instead of bashing it. :/

WyndReed

Dareka tasukete!
Apr 8, 2018
???, New York
I think that a "cutsey" english vocaloid would end up being very nasaly or like JubyPhonic, neither of which I'd want to see.

I'd like to see vocaloids of other languages, like french or german, and more korean and spanish vocaloids. I mean, I've seen utau vbs in many different languages, so why can't yamaha figure it out?

First Sound Future

Passionate Fan
Apr 8, 2018
@ languages

Other than Yamaha having to make the new languages work in the engine, I think it depends how well would a Vocaloid presented in a new language fare. Gotta think about how many fans/producers there are in a certain country and if they would actually buy it instead of pirate it. It probably also depends if any new company that could bring a new language even wants to try making a Vocaloid that has a 50/50 chance of succeeding or failing. It might be that some just don't see the effort paying off, especially since making Vocaloids isn't cheap and pirating is high in certain parts of the fandom.

Also I saw someone make a good point once that before exploring new languages, Korean and Spanish should probably be worked on more. Last generation, we only had one Korean Vocaloid and 0 Spanish Vocaloids which is somewhat depressing considering V4 had more for other languages (I'm also counting Vocaloids that aren't native to the language, for example Miku Chinese and Tianyi Japanese). The overall amount of Vocaloids for the two languages isn't good either. Korean has two female vocals and Spanish has two female and one male vocal. The situation the Spanish Vocaloids are in doesn't seem too good with Voctrolabs seemingly out of the game, no mention of updates, new Spanish Vocaloids or a new company coming in and what's worst is that apparently some Spanish fans prefer forcing Japanese Vocaloids to sing in Spanish, lowering Spanish Vocaloid's sales in process.

I'd love to see new languages as well, and maybe we'll get at least French, Portuguese or Italian this generation (it was mentioned these three languages are considered back at the beginning of V4) but honestly, it'd also be nice to see more support for the Korean and Spanish Vocaloids, from both its fans and the Vocaloid companies.

Honestly, I’m 100% okay without a “cutesy” Engloid. As stated above by WyndReed, it would probably end up being a Juby-Like voice. (Maybe even voiced by her, which is worse)
So honestly... I’d just rather see some of the original Western VOCALOIDS get more attention somehow, instead of pandering to the cute lovers. That kinda erases the originality of Western VOCALOIDS and Japanese VOCALOIDS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)