• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

static-oceans

I feel so high in the blue, blue sky
Dec 2, 2019
So many female vocaloids sound the same that its hard to tell the difference without knowing who's singing. I want more deep female voices like Flower and Yanhe. (I'm not counting Engloids because they obviously sound different)
Yeah, I agree. I want more diverse vocals in the future, like Sachiko, Merli, Lily, Iroha, etc etc

To be fair, most of the samey sounding vocals do sound distinct to me, but they all fill the same niche, it's very oversaturated.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
I've been working with Miriam's trial in preparation for using Meiko, and I've gotta say... I prefer V1's look to V2/3/4, at least the piano roll. It looks more polished. The parameters aren't as easy to work with, but the note input just looks nice. Thought the brown-on-baby-blue hasn't aged well at all...

Last edited:

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
I've been working with Miriam's trial in preparation for using Meiko, and I've gotta say... I prefer V1's look to V2/3/4, at least the piano roll. It looks more polished. The parameters aren't as easy to work with, but the note input just looks nice. Thought the brown-on-baby-blue hasn't aged well at all...
Oh man I have to agree with you. Personally, I like the brown-on-blue color scheme. In fact, the entire INTERFACE looks really nice!!!

I wish Vocaloid designs (and this can apply to ANY synth character designs) weren't so detailed. As an artist, its pain and suffering. The Cryptonloids are guilty of this, with the arm warmers having a million different buttons, and Miku's V4x skirt with all of the small details on it

static-oceans

Dec 2, 2019
I love that v1 is customizable! it's so cool! I love the look of it, it definitely looks dated to me, but in a funky retro way.

Oh man I have to agree with you. Personally, I like the brown-on-blue color scheme. In fact, the entire INTERFACE looks really nice!!!

I wish Vocaloid designs (and this can apply to ANY synth character designs) weren't so detailed. As an artist, its pain and suffering. The Cryptonloids are guilty of this, with the arm warmers having a million different buttons, and Miku's V4x skirt with all of the small details on it
You don't have to (and most people don't) draw all the tiny details!! I personally like when there's a bunch of little patterns and stuff! but i feel you with the cryptonloids somewhat. Ixima's v4x designs are not my favorite haha

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
You don't have to (and most people don't) draw all the tiny details!! I personally like when there's a bunch of little patterns and stuff! but i feel you with the cryptonloids somewhat. Ixima's v4x designs are not my favorite haha
I think that's part of what makes Crypton's designs so good: you can add in all those tiny details, or you can omit them entirely and just draw the bare minimum, and they're still instantly recognizable. Though I'm with you on Luka V4X: I'll defend just about every last Piapro Character design except... except that one. Her hair's so painfully thin and her headphones are bigger than her head, that can't be comfortable

Maribelle

GalacOH no she didn't
Apr 9, 2018
Luka v4x's belt is amazing js and I actually really like the skirt tbh that alone saves the design for me tbh

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
I think that's part of what makes Crypton's designs so good: you can add in all those tiny details, or you can omit them entirely and just draw the bare minimum, and they're still instantly recognizable. Though I'm with you on Luka V4X: I'll defend just about every last Piapro Character design except... except that one. Her hair's so painfully thin and her headphones are bigger than her head, that can't be comfortable
I'm not a big fan of Luka's V4x design because...well...it looks like its a little too exposing for my liking (but i don't want this thread to go back to that discussion)

static-oceans

Dec 2, 2019
Yeah, exactly! I think I may be biased, but the cryptonloids I think have some of the best character design silhouettes i've seen. I love the v2/v3 deisgns. and yeah, luka v4x is my least favorite design of all. the outfit is just... not it for me, especially compared to her iconic v2 design. kinda looks like something someone would buy on wish and ends up looking completely different when you try it on

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
The Quadimension guy's design looks like, uh

a background character? It's literally so boring

obviously the voice is the important part but it feels like they wanted to make a guy who was as unremarkable as possible so as not to take any attention from the girls
Ok so i got told to wait till the final design

The final design is even worse, it's just Moke but boring
seriously Quad you already got roasted for having one synth look too similar to a more popular one

Reactions: Rolo
Sep 21, 2019
I don’t find Meiji to be super impressive. Don’t get me wrong, she’s a nice vocal, but I don’t see what’s so “ZOMG AMAZING GODDESS” about her…
Compared to other multipitch or multi tone banks I’ve used, she sounds rather bland and flat. (Also to me she doesn’t sound very good with even her recommended resampler; I feel like she has an issue with engine noise.)
I’m the same about Renri, tbh. I just don’t find her voice to be that impressive. (Not that she’s not good—I’m just not super impressed.)

andantina

Jun 10, 2020
ashes to ashes
this was on my mind recently: i feel like too many producers feel the need to have a P-name when that trend is really outdated at this point. it started because Vocaloid became popular as a Doujin-type thing on Niconicodouga alongside Touhou and the Idolm@ster (where the trend originated iirc). but the scene and community is different now. in niconico 2007 people thought it was cool that you could have a virtual diva girl in your computer. that was the extent of what Vocaloid implied and it was pretty much the only interpretation of it. But now, there are so many ways people use/portray vocaloids that an “idol producer” doesn’t accurately symbolize what the fan base is about. yes there are people who are primarily miku-based and characterize her as an idol, but there are also people who use Vocaloid characters as a basis for song series, a rock singer, or even just a vocal without any relation to their avatar. The concept of using a Vocaloid has become more of a “songwriter-singer” thing than a “idol-producer” thing, and the fan base should treat it as such instead of clinging to the past.

(i had major deja vu typing out this post, so if i or someone else has already mentioned this, feel free to ignore it 😓)

Last edited:

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
Back in the good old days the "P" was like a badge of honor given to a producer by fans. Once you made it big enough the community would start referring to you with the P suffix. Giving the P name was a gesture from the community to show that they considered you an actual "pro" and not a mere hobbyist.

The custom was kind of ruined over time with people starting to call themselves [something]-P. Some say especially the west was guilty of this at some point (Japanese did this too to be fair). But essentially the P-name suffered inflation after beginners, cover artists, not-so-succesful producers and people who don't even make music, gave it to themselves.

I kind of liked the custom of the "P" being awarded to you for being succesful rather than it being something you singlehandedly pick, but the trend is kind of dead now.

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
I always felt like a few P names were kinda backhanded tbh
mainly iroha(sasaki)'s which i can't remember, but also say Shigotoshite-P to a lesser extent

Rolo

Watch Levius and Stan Natalia Cromwell
Sep 16, 2019
I think it was cute that fans called Noa, Vocaliod-P (because of a spelling mistake) and Jesus-P is one of my all time favorite P-names. It was a cute gesture from fans to producers or like others pointed out a sign of status. But I do think the trend is over now and many producers not having those or not using them (like Jin and Maretu) shows it’s kinda time for it to stop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)