• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID VOCALOID 5 news

VocaMew

That one Mew fan
Apr 8, 2018
twitter.com
@Kona I'm excited too! I obviously have my SONiKA bias, and I'm really happy they didn't entirely shoot me down. Whatever they're gonna do, I'm really excited to see them make V5 work.
And they'll probably still have that connection given a probable financial bond between the two. Either way, given how much V5 can do, I wouldn't think many people would use it over V5.

Reactions: Duck Stapha

Eviltreat16

Probably an Artist, Probably a Praying Mantis
Apr 8, 2018
I would fight for a SONiKA and Avanna update. Also, it would be exciting since no native English banks have been updated. I am sad that Internet is currently saying no plans for V5 wheresmygumienglishupdateinternetco.

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
I guess then the XSY parameter must appear in the editor if you're using a V3/4 bank? (I guess I ought to just trust that it would, but I can't help being a bit worried until I see it. It seems unusual to me that they would make the editor change itself that way to accommodate an old feature that, evidently, won't be supported from V5 onward.)
No, it won't do that. What Missy/Leon meant was you'll still have the V4 editor, so you can use XSY there if you have to. The V5 editor won't change itself to add XSY when you use XSY-capable banks, orz

sleepysheep7

GET OFF MY LAWN YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS!!!
Apr 8, 2018
I would fight for a SONiKA and Avanna update. Also, it would be exciting since no native English banks have been updated. I am sad that Internet is currently saying no plans for V5 wheresmygumienglishupdateinternetco.
I'm almost positive an update with happen for english Gumi. They mentioned they were working on one earlier so they were probably getting it ready for this engine instead of the previous.

GreenFantasy64

カイミク || Len English || Arsloid || V5/Piapro
Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
I'm almost positive an update with happen for english Gumi. They mentioned they were working on one earlier so they were probably getting it ready for this engine instead of the previous.
And since mostly everyone loves using or hearing Gumi English I have a feeling they will definitely get V5 just for her.

~64~64~64~64~
I hope that Yamaha will one day start doing standalone starter packs or at least have it for their VY vocaloids only each. (I want VY2 only, okay? :vy2_lili:A true VY2V5 update would be nice too)

Reactions: CallmeNerdy

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
Has anybody been following the stuff on Twitter about messing with the vocal files btw? I think it might bring up some interesting points. Is that even legal to talk about here though,,

Basically one figures that V2-V5 banks are, at their core, the same (even if rendering styles differ). I won't go into the logistics of how because that feels very illegal but people have ported V2s into V5 and used growl and vocal fry on them without issue. Perhaps more interesting, is that V5 voices have also been ported into V4. Tfw your editors have forwards compatibility as well as backwards?? Lol

Mm-hmm, you understood correctly. That makes sense.... I guess then the XSY parameter must appear in the editor if you're using a V3/4 bank? (I guess I ought to just trust that it would, but I can't help being a bit worried until I see it. It seems unusual to me that they would make the editor change itself that way to accommodate an old feature that, evidently, won't be supported from V5 onward.)

(Say, are you the same missy I chatted with on VO a few times?)
I'm sorry, I believe one of us has misunderstood the other somehow. I didn't mean to say that XSY would appear if you selected a V3/4 bank, I meant it's still a functioning option in the V4 editor with V3/4 voices ^^;; Yeah, it's not a thing in V5 anymore, sadly.

(And yes! I am that missy! Hello!)

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
It is super against the terms of use to mess with the program files and can corrupt your vocaloids.
Definitely. I should specify, I'm not encouraging people to do it. It's just interesting to me that it's possible, and actually pretty simple to pull off. V5 banks appear to differ very little, if at all, from V4 in the end. The editor is much different and tbh pretty amazing from what I've seen, mind, but the banks themselves? Perhaps not so different.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I have a dumb question: if the V5 editor is compatible with V3/V4 voicebanks, and XSY goes away in V5...does that mean that you can't use XSY with V3/4 anymore? Has anyone seen some indication of how that gets handled?
I don't believe that anything in V4 was messed with, so if you still have V4E you can XSY, just that it's not a feature in V5. If I understood your question correctly ^^;
I'm sorry, I believe one of us has misunderstood the other somehow. I didn't mean to say that XSY would appear if you selected a V3/4 bank, I meant it's still a functioning option in the V4 editor with V3/4 voices ^^;; Yeah, it's not a thing in V5 anymore, sadly.

(And yes! I am that missy! Hello!)
Ah, yeah, Rylitah explained it. I'd been reading your "V4" as more like the Vocaloid 4 platform (as in the Vocaloid 4 API) and "V4E" as more like some V4 English bank (just because that's generally how I use those abbreviations)...which somehow made it seem like those would behave differently in the V5 Editor than actual V5 voicebanks. (Actually, that's something I've had to keep in mind for this whole thread--V5 is being used to refer to the Editor, rather than the API version. And while lots of the new/exciting features could be part of the API, some of them seem like they'll be specific to Yamaha's editor, too.) Anyway, it's all good--more my fault than anything else :).

(Nice to see you back! Welcome!)

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Haven't seen the V2>V5 thing much on Twitter, but people on Vocaloid Amino seem...kinda obsessed with it. I love V2 as much as everyone else and I get why people want to use the shiny new features on Vocaloids that has an unknown/lower chance of being updated, but I also get software ages and you need to let it retire eventually.
Besides if you really love your V2s, you'll just deal with the past editors instead of feeling the need to hack them into

Hoping Yamaha patches that and whatever bugs V5 has soon enough. I've already saved up about half of what I need to upgrade to Premium lol

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Ah, different communities, different tastes. Don't worry, since I don't own any V2s, I don't care about this "converting" method.

Are VSR (?) files that you make in V5 compatible with V4? Just for the sake of adding XSY to an already V5-tuned song.
If you're asking if the V4 editor can understand the VPR files produced by the V5 editor, then this comparison of the V4/5 editors indicates that it can't. V4 can only read "VSQX、VSQ、MIDI(SMF)、[and] WAV" files.

You could maybe do the XSY in the V4 editor and then open that VSQX in the V5 editor, but I don't know if the XSY would be retained inside the V5 editor or not (since there's no XSY in V5). If you felt like trying it out, I'd be really interested to hear what happened. But that's totally up to you.

summers50

01010011 00110101 00110000
Apr 9, 2018
MA, USA
If you're asking if the V4 editor can understand the VPR files produced by the V5 editor, then this comparison of the V4/5 editors indicates that it can't. V4 can only read "VSQX、VSQ、MIDI(SMF)、[and] WAV" files.

You could maybe do the XSY in the V4 editor and then open that VSQX in the V5 editor, but I don't know if the XSY would be retained inside the V5 editor or not (since there's no XSY in V5). If you felt like trying it out, I'd be really interested to hear what happened. But that's totally up to you.
i tried it. xsy gets totally removed.

Reactions: mobius017

summers50

Apr 9, 2018
MA, USA
i dropped in miku v4x with original/dark. It just plays original(the primary) but keeps all tuning besides xsy. gender is transferred to character parameter too.

Trevor

?
May 2, 2018
It makes sense. With the new rendoring, xsy was probably glitchy af and would have slowed or crashed the editor.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
i dropped in miku v4x with original/dark. It just plays original(the primary) but keeps all tuning besides xsy. gender is transferred to character parameter too.
Cool, that should be about as conclusive a test as we can have--two banks from the same generation of a single Vocaloid. Looks pretty clear that, at the moment at least, XSY is gone. Thanks, @summers50!

It makes sense. With the new rendoring, xsy was probably glitchy af and would have slowed or crashed the editor.
Yup, that makes sense, too. Especially if you tried layering a Style on an XSY, maybe, things could get nuts in a hurry.

Edit:
Oh, @summers50, do you remember seeing what kind of Style options you got on Miku? Were they all there, a limited set, none?

Last edited:

summers50

Apr 9, 2018
MA, USA
My theory is that xsy might be obsolete once we get to know this thing.

Oh, @summers50, do you remember seeing what kind of Style options you got on Miku? Were they all there, a limited set, none?
Everything was there. I was able to use everything. the new air/breath parameters can probably turn any bank into a legit soft/whisper bank. vocal fry, attack release, styles, the works.

test
it took away my xsy so it doesnt sound as good to me(my vsq is in covers section) but a single parameter (air)changes it to whisper. theres also breath parameter is really good now too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)