• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

YouTube Rewind 2019

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA

So after the total flop that was last years rewind they tried to do something different...but based on the likes to dislikes ratio, I wouldn't say it worked.
I think it's an interesting idea but I always liked that rewinds were essentially big music videos feat. popular creators. Except to be fair, the last few years they did that I didn't recognize many people anymore...I watch way less Youtube now than I used to.
I don't think they'll ever really make a rewind people will universally like again to be honest.

inactive

Passionate Fan
Jun 27, 2019
I haven't watched a single video nor a single "creator" featured in that rewind thingy. Perhaps I'm watching the wrong videos...

...or maybe the right videos.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I'm aware of some of the creators that were in the video but Rewind really reminds me how out of touch I've become with YouTube...

Wario94

Passionate Fan
Jan 5, 2019
Never watched that video yet, but I'm heard this rumor that that video is really just a top 10 most liked videos, right?

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I've never watched a Rewind video, but I still clicked on the link just to read the comments and check the like/dislike ration, and holy shit. :LOL:

YT's leadership and staff are completely out of touch with the YT community - not just with the Rewind videos, but also with Terms of Service changes; how it handles copyright and community guidelines; and how it respects creators. (Mind you, it's been like this since Google bought YT, but now the community is really at crosshairs with the staff. It's kind of in the same situation as DeviantART now).

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I've watched the last 3 years of Rewind. Each year they get more and more dislikes. Every Rewind is very awkward and cringey to watch, because they try to put memes in it and make the popular creators act wacky.

It's fun to watch the big creators (like PewdiePie) react to Rewind, though. In previous years, YouTube would reach out to creators and ask them to be in the video for free and they would be subjected to awkward filming requests that lasted all day. After the fact, many creators realized it wasn't worth working for free to hopefully be seen for a few seconds. Animators especially got the short end of the stick, because they had to work many hours to animate something and they lost precious time they could have use to create their own video that actually made them ad revenue instead of throwing it away to YouTube HQ.

The only thing I liked about this year's video was the fact that YouTube had to put PewdiePie in the video several times despite his controversialness. I feel like they put a lot of K-pop in so people "couldn't be mad".

A lot of people who watch complain that they have no clue who the people they show are (because they include creators from across the globe). I feel it would be better to create like... YouTube Rewind Brazil or YouTube Rewind Japan or something instead of lumping them together.

Rewind is just the tombstone on "old/better YouTube" and it reminds everyone why they hate YouTube when it gets uploaded each year.

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
I know I'm really out of loop when it comes to what's popular on YT. I only recognised 3 names/channels on that rewind lol
I'm not really interested in Youtubers (I follow Abroad in Japan and some car-related channels, but that's about it), I mostly watch Youtube for music.

Sep 21, 2019
Trying to watch this showed me how out of loop I am with Youtube. XD (Or maybe it just shows how out of touch with its audience YouTube is.)

I follow people, but nobody really "popular". Also, the Turkish youtuber they mentioned apparently had been terminated for stealing other peoples videos (Pewediepie, I think) and was recently reinstated, I guess? Just something I heard, so take it with a grain of salt. :miku2_move:

Tbh, YouTube has turned into a disaster and they don't really care about nor respect the people who keep their platform alive. I think I'll quote part of a review that sums up why people even still use youtube: "I use youtube because its where all the videos are, not because it is good."
Source

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I think people appreciate smaller rewinds made by creators like PewDiePie because it doesn't come off as forced and corporate. YouTube making a whole video about memes and trends comes off as "how do you do fellow kids"

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
I think the negative reception to the Rewind is less about the video itself, and more about people's feelings towards Youtube as a whole. The creative team that puts it together never does a terrible job, but they represent corporate Youtube temporarily invading 'our' space with a company video. So long as Youtube's PR is bad, anything they upload is going to be put through the wringer.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
While I sort of agree with that statement, I wouldn't say that it has nothing to do with the videos themselves. A lot of people didn't like last years Rewind because of the focus on Will Smith (not a youtuber), the time they spent in the video delivering inspirational messages that felt forced, the lack of focus on popular events and youtubers that they didnt want to cover because it didnt fit the squeaky clean image they were going for, and overall the really bad acting...
While I'm sure a lot of it does have to do with the disdain for YouTube as a whole right now, the Rewinds aren't sin free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)