• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

SynthV GEMVOX - A new AI voice synthesizer label debuting on Synthesizer V

mary34

Aspiring Fan
Dec 25, 2022
I checked the Gemvox twitter and neither Dreamtonics nor AHS official follows them as of writing which is... strange to say the least!

I don't think this is a scam but I do not trust the devs tbh I'm already getting "bad organizing" vibes from them and that's without getting into the NFT stuff
I want to be excited for them expanding language support but... *sigh*

Also the design is absolutely mid I'm sorry she looks like a beginner vocaloP's edgy OC from their first MV and her lore so far seems like "15 year old's first creepy pasta".

I don't want to be such a hater but this voice is not impressing me so far...

blackout

Passionate Fan
Apr 13, 2018
“Her favorite thing: Muddy puddles” okay Peppa Pig……

All I can say is the most exciting thing is the possibility of Korean SV support being real. Not a fan of the middle schooler’s first OC vibes this character is giving out. Everything about this feels so random, I didn’t even know Gonzo was still afloat as a studio lol

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
I hate to say I kind of agree. Although I'm not totally opposed to an edgy type design here and there as long as the voice is still good. I'm also a little uncertain re: Korean, because the clarification tweet kind of implies that Korean will be added to SV and that's when Topaz will get it. Which is why I assumed they're pointing out what languages the VP is fluent in, because otherwise, Topaz would just have the same languages as every other SV bank, to also include Mandarin, Cantonese, and Spanish...

Anyway. I'm gonna sit back and watch for now. As more details come to light, maybe things will make more sense! lol

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I'm down for Korean support in SynthV, but I'm sorry, did they pinch the character art from DeviantART? I'm hoping it's some kind of mockup or beta art now, because this project is not looking hopeful so far lol.

Reactions: Ryleigh Goldner

Ryleigh Goldner

Prime Minister of South Zenith
Feb 25, 2023
Bangkok, Thailand
Uhm....is it just me, or does Topaz's promotional image have weirdly conspicuous aliasing? No, seriously! Look at it!

Screenshot 2024-09-23 235202.png

(Image courtesy of SynthV News' Note article. It's been linked here already so I retroactively omitted it)

I've never seen something like this in a vocal synth's promotional artwork/character art in my life! Also, I just took a look at her design again, and um... I could probably find something like this on Pixiv just by sorting by oldest.

I'm just praying for her voicebank to sound insanely divine at this point. I know I'm catastrophizing right now but with the NFT/Web 3.0 stuff, it's just like...huh?

EDIT 2: Sorry for rambling, it's just...I'm writing under the assumption that most of the jagged edges in the illustration weren't intentional. If they are (or likely are), then I'll take this post down.

EDIT: Oh, gosh dang it, this thread was yesterday! I completely missed this thread somehow, but I'm still going to keep this post up. I'm just taking so many Ls...

Last edited:

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
This company will need to work hard to win me over - their involvement with NFTs and the general tone of their copy is reminiscent of the trend-chasing techbro who sees "AI" as their next get-rich-quick buzzword. I'm not convinced they have a strong understanding or appreciation for the artform yet. This impression is further reinforced by their slapdash visual presentation: it just looks rushed. That said, I don't think the aliasing is cause for concern. This is common for low resolution images, and some artists simply prefer the aliased pencil tool because it's easier to fill in (no white outlines).

The description of their product is confusing. They describe her as trilingual: either they're recording three separate voicebanks (unusual in the post-XSY era); or they're describing XSY and simply forgot about Cantonese and Spanish.

This isn't necessarily me saying this voicebank is fake though - Dreamtonics has certainly involved themselves with poorly run companies before - but I'm unimpressed so far. However, there is something quite nostalgic about a messy vocal synth announcement, haha.

Last edited:

crtstatic

MYK-IV's #1 fan
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
crtstatic.neocities.org
their involvement with NFTs and the general tone of their copy is reminiscent of the trend-chasing techbro who sees "AI" as their next get-rich-quick buzzword. I'm not convinced they have a strong understanding or appreciation for the artform yet
I've kind of worried about this ever since SV moved to exclusively AI vbs. People that aren't vsynth fans see that AI buzzword and think it's like their other AI stuff, but it's not.
Off topic a little bit but this kind of reminds me of the post I saw on the SV sub reddit where someone that wasn't a vsynth person was talking about AI and everyone was like "uh no. it doesn't work like that". so like, again. I'm not surprised one bit that this could be the case :ring_ani_lili:

As for the character art, I'm just going to assume its placeholder art, or concept art, until we get more information. Don't really wanna assume the worst when this was LITERALLY just announced.

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
If the voicebank / company was responsible for Korean support, I feel like they wouldn't be launching without it. The fact it's coming later just tells me that DT is making Korean, and this company soft launched it
Agree. Like yeah, Eclipsed got to announce Spanish with Saros, but they also had released VBs before, Saros came with it, and they helped develop it 💀

edit: also I don't love their attitude so far. They... are not winning themselves any favors by being kind of dismissive about amateurs. Like yes, on company sides there have been some messes in the vsynth world. I'll admit that. But I feel like trying to market to professionals and ignore amateur producers is always a disaster. The amateurs were what put Vocaloid on the scene to begin with!!

Maybe I'm being too harsh and they don't mean it that way...

Last edited:

crtstatic

MYK-IV's #1 fan
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
crtstatic.neocities.org
edit: also I don't love their attitude so far. They... are not winning themselves any favors by being kind of dismissive about amateurs. Like yes, on company sides there have been some messes in the vsynth world. I'll admit that. But I feel like trying to market to professionals and ignore amateur producers is always a disaster. The amateurs were what put Vocaloid on the scene to begin with!!

Maybe I'm being too harsh and they don't mean it that way...

Please god, please don't let this be another emvoice...

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
I completely missed the chatter about this entity being an NFT outfit in the past somehow, and man that's unfortunate. Re-contextualizes so much of what has been said in a not so good way that is pretty copacetic with the idea of "a grift". In fairness, the public perception surrounding NFTs was wildly differently handled in JP spaces as compared to EN spaces as of a few years ago, but given the context of GONZO's involvement, and the fact that we exist in Current Year, 2024, I suspect that financial incentive is still probably a major undercurrent here.

My opinion on the "why would they chose to publicly single out professionals" is that this seems to be a separate clause from the VB development alone. The character design itself aligns closely IMO with what late gen-z and gen-a are into as far as character designs at this time, so my instinct says that the vocals themselves are still very much trying to target fans. They say they are trying to position themselves as a label as well as a developer, so I suspect the label side of this business is what the interest in professionals comes from-- an attempt to generate the kind of business where income and collaboration is legitimized by hanging out with corporate types. This isn't an announcement of just a VB, but instead an apparently very ambitious startup business attempting to generate interest in all its parts, which is pretty much new.

A very weird announcement for sure. I am really curious how this group's contact with the SynthV news account/note profile came to be. If it was solely this group's effort alone, that seems to imply some serious surveying of the english-speaking side of this community's Twitter, which is interesting.

BANKARA_TEEvie

voxbox guy
Jun 24, 2021
I've clarified around a few places so far, but the head of the project *does* seem to be followed by Kanru - despite not being followed by DT or AHS. While it doesn't mean that the project itself is legit, it does imply that there's basis for discussion between the two...
1727144930149.png
...even still, though, I'm not really thrilled about this project at all. If they happen to be the ones helping push Korean support along by providing data, well that's great! But other than that - which may not even be the case - it reeks of corporate AI bros trying to break into the vocal synthesis scene... which, there are certainly examples where companies have met in the middle to make a blend of both, but this is more inauthentic feeling, in a sense.

Sep 24, 2024
I completely missed the chatter about this entity being an NFT outfit in the past somehow, and man that's unfortunate. Re-contextualizes so much of what has been said in a not so good way that is pretty copacetic with the idea of "a grift". In fairness, the public perception surrounding NFTs was wildly differently handled in JP spaces as compared to EN spaces as of a few years ago, but given the context of GONZO's involvement, and the fact that we exist in Current Year, 2024, I suspect that financial incentive is still probably a major undercurrent here.

My opinion on the "why would they chose to publicly single out professionals" is that this seems to be a separate clause from the VB development alone. The character design itself aligns closely IMO with what late gen-z and gen-a are into as far as character designs at this time, so my instinct says that the vocals themselves are still very much trying to target fans. They say they are trying to position themselves as a label as well as a developer, so I suspect the label side of this business is what the interest in professionals comes from-- an attempt to generate the kind of business where income and collaboration is legitimized by hanging out with corporate types. This isn't an announcement of just a VB, but instead an apparently very ambitious startup business attempting to generate interest in all its parts, which is pretty much new.

A very weird announcement for sure. I am really curious how this group's contact with the SynthV news account/note profile came to be. If it was solely this group's effort alone, that seems to imply some serious surveying of the english-speaking side of this community's Twitter, which is interesting.
Definitely, I would go further and say it's hard not to get the impression that this is a cash-in. It's easy to imagine how the label concept was sold to investors - what if you could sell a product and still own the rights to any song made with it? Despite making this a central part of their marketing, the value offered to producers is unclear at best ("we will offer various means of PR"?) and redundant at worst ("you can upload your works to Spotify and YouTube Music and make money", already an option for indies). This investor-first mindset is not an uncommon pitfall overall, but it's new for vocal synths to hit such a peak in popularity that this is on the table.

Also, the first project Topaz will be involved in is the NFT anime "SAMURAI cryptos"... Which I guess is still coming out. GEMVOX was officially revealed in relation to this project late last month, but it seems that no outlets really picked up on it. She can be heard in this stream (starting 18:38):

The high notes aren't half bad, but I'm not sure why they're going for SOLARIA...?

edit: My bad, these are other VBs entirely.

Last edited:

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Why am I not surprised that Studio Gonzo is trying to come back through some NFT scheme? (Also, I honestly thought Gonzo had closed down years ago lol.)

I'm sorry, but this project is turning me off the more info comes to light. If Topaz does get Korean support, then hell yeah, but Topaz as a product is currently screaming 'AI techbro scam'. It's not something I want to see producers support (especially the part about producers not wholly owning song rights if they use Topaz? If that's true, wtf?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)