• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

General Discussion Thread

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
Of course, there's also call outs that are based on misinformation (I mean Vocaloid Wiki literally called out a producer by name because the person had made Kaito into an UTAU, which Voca Wiki deems illegal (putting a Vocaloid into UTAU isn't against to the ToU/ToS, but distributing it is), and while understandable, it exposes the person they called out to a lot of unnecessary drama and hate as well as potential harassment.
It actually is a bit shaky on whether that's allowed- publishing anything using it is disallowed, and if a company wanted to force someone to stop, they probably could.

Reactions: uncreepy

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Twitter has this strange ability to turn even the most level-headed person in real life to a completely rabid and insane idiot who overreacts to everything. I see it all the time on political circles on there - it doesn't help that like Tumblr, Twitter encourages a echo chamber/hugbox mentality depending on who you follow.

So yeah, Twitter is full of drama queens, and I just ignore it, including Vocaloid drama.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Honesty, I think the whole idea of a callout post is ridiculous, depending on the context. There are appropriate and inappropriate ways to exercise freedom of speech/expression. You want to call out Acme Co., who dumps unprocessed hazardous stuff into the rivers to avoid recycling expenses, or who is price-gouging their customers? Fine. You want to call out dictator/elected official Mary Sue who is abusing her citizens? Fine.

But how can/why should anyone take it seriously when some random person gets up on a soapbox in their little corner of the internet and calls out some other unsuspecting random person to tell them what an awful job they're doing on their art? Having civil discussion about art, or being a professional/employed art critic is somewhat different, and probably has its own standards of conduct that ought to be adhered to; but just getting up out of the blue and appointing yourself the judge of other people's stuff is really presumptuous. It really undermines your own reputation if you do something that brazen; it almost invites people to ignore you on principle.

On the other hand, I guess it would be ok for a person to start their own art-review blog or something. It would really come down to the tone--do they acknowledge the fact that they're expressing their own opinion and do so in a suitably respectful way, or do they present themselves as God's appointed judge handing down the divine verdict on JohnSmith-P?

static-oceans

I feel so high in the blue, blue sky
Dec 2, 2019
But how can/why should anyone take it seriously when some random person gets up on a soapbox in their little corner of the internet and calls out some other unsuspecting random person to tell them what an awful job they're doing on their art?
right, i think any and all critique can be applicable to any art as long as you're not holier than thou about it.
there are plenty of producers who make music that aren't my taste. and yeah, i can openly talk about what i dislike about them because i'm not an ass with a superiority complex. I can still respect these people as creators, whether or not i like their stuff, and i always will. these guys gotta learn how to be constructive. of course, obviously you CAN spew what you want but where is that going to get you? or the creator you're trying to change?

static-oceans

I feel so high in the blue, blue sky
Dec 2, 2019
this discussion is already derailed from what i wanted it to be about so while we're here...

why did they feel the need to put very subjective opinions in a "callout post" anyway.
they managed to do that while bringing up years old receipts that have already been addressed?? that's not how you go about trying for a convincing argument for reform, bro :unsure:

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
this discussion is already derailed from what i wanted it to be about so while we're here...

why did they feel the need to put very subjective opinions in a "callout post" anyway.
they managed to do that while bringing up years old receipts that have already been addressed?? that's not how you go about trying for a convincing argument for reform, bro :unsure:
Judging by the impression I've gotten from what you've said, I think you were right when you suggested it was in order to get a reaction. It seems like they just want to stir things up and get attention.

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
Here's the details for the Kaito & Meiko crowdfunding campaign:
Update on the Kaito & Meiko crowdfunding project; they're now at about 20 100 000 yen, which is way past the 3 000 000 goal. But what surprises me a little is that the number of people who donated is 690. I don't know how it compares to crowdfunding campaigns of similar nature, but personally I was expecting more people? Anyway that counts to roughly 29 130 yen per person, so those who took part have gone all in.

Ceres

「会いたかった」
May 13, 2018
Update on the Kaito & Meiko crowdfunding project; they're now at about 20 100 000 yen, which is way past the 3 000 000 goal. But what surprises me a little is that the number of people who donated is 690. I don't know how it compares to crowdfunding campaigns of similar nature, but personally I was expecting more people? Anyway that counts to roughly 29 130 yen per person, so those who took part have gone all in.

I think there's various reasons for that amount of people, although I don't consider it small.
For starters, only people in Japan can donate unless you use a proxy, cutting a large number of potential donators.
Because of this, there was a digital fanzine for about ~10$ going on, I'm not sure if they have already donated what they earned but you can guess the number of people to money ratio isn't going to be accurate as only one person gets to donate to the kickstarter, it doesn't count all the people that bought the zine.
A single person can buy multiple courses (if you bought a course that adds your name it makes it bigger).
You also have to keep in mind that the lowest tier is ~30$ so that's most likely not something that everyone is willing to throw out especially when the goal was met within the first 24 hours. If you are low on funds, are young etc. 3000yen can be a bit steep when what you wanted to see happen is already funded.
If there was an option to donate 100 yen or so you bet there were would be a lot more individuals in the total number.
There's also no stretch goals, all they said is that the remaining money is to help future MEIKO and KAITO projects but we don't know what exactly. And still they are nearly reaching 700% :o
Personally, the best tier is starting 30 000yen (~300$!) and according to the webpage 362 people, more than half, have gone for that course or higher the rest are sold out (well, there 19 for Meiko's 30k left, but just that only), so if for example, you wanted to support the Kaito 30kyen you just can't, so maybe that's limiting other people so donate (they did have to add more slots)
Lots of factors honestly, but in the end what everyone can see is that Meiko and Kaito got a lot of support! :kaito_smile_lili::meiko_lili:

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
The physical Niconico Chokaigi event had to be cancelled and turned into an online event. Now here's the Nico Nico Net Chokaigi Vocaloid Fes online concert details.

Opening live on Apr 12th

Apr. 18th:
18:00~18.45 Vocalo-P DJ live
18:50~19:50 Vocaloid DJ
19:50~20:20 Vocaloid Live

Edit: Kabuki performance schedule:

Last edited:
Reactions: mobius017

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Comic Market 98 cancelled. RIP summer Comiket :( Hopefully the doujinshi that was supposed to release will still be released on Melonbooks
Isn't Comiket usually like, super-packed anyway? Even in the summer, it would still be paradise for Covid if it's still floating around significantly.

Reactions: kozet

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
Previous Comiket had a total of 750 000 visitors across 4 days, so definitely it would've been a high risk event for coronavirus spreading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)