• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

SynthV MEGPOID for Synthesizer V from Internet Co., Ltd.

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
English usage!

Some reports of heavy engine noise, a recurring issue this engine version. I don't hear anything too noticeable in the quick plug and plays people have been posting though, so I assume it's pretty easily hidden by an instrumental.

I wonder if Gumi will regain her dominance as a super popular English voicebank? I'm actually leaning towards no right now, mainly due to her lack of a strong power vocal mode, and the fact that a lot of other vocal synths have overtaken her in clarity. She used to be favoured in large part because she was the closest we had to a casual pop vocalist, and her slurriness meant she sounded more natural compared to the somewhat overpronounced native English Vocaloids. I think she'll still be used a lot because she's Gumi, but I don't see her becoming as ubiquitous as she was. In a way, her gentle, sweet default tone was never designed for the dark, heavy, fast-paced work English users originally chose her for.

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
I'm excited! Heard some really nice samples from her already. I wasn't able to buy her yet but would like to sometime early next year maybe

I have heard some mixed reviews though. Seems her vocal modes are really subtle and she's pretty noisy. To a point where you can mix it out, but still. I wonder if the fact that they used her V6 data is the reason? Maybe they will update and improve here in time though. I honestly think that's one of SV's big strengths. Many products that release are what they are, but SV banks tend to get updates and improve over time. So fingers crossed!

blackout

Passionate Fan
Apr 13, 2018
I’d say her SV cross-lang is already a substantial upgrade from her V3 eng bank & V6 cross-lang that SV Gumi still has a chance to make a big mark as an Eng VB, on top of already being a very established & beloved Vocaloid character (that goes a long way!!!).

A bit of a shame her Vocal Modes are just kinda eh but I’m also hopeful that this will be something they’ll consider updating some time in the future. SV Gumi seems to be more of Internet testing the waters for future SV developments especially with the whole thing of her V6 data being reused. The attention during her announcement was already pretty big, and as of her release there don’t seem to be any big issues other than her SV could have perhaps used some more extra data, and her default is still very unmistakably Gumi, so we’ll see how it goes!! Still think she’s one of the most exciting releases this year!

nene

OSTER project fan!!!
Oct 13, 2023
Gumi sounds sooo pretty! Exactly like her singing tone for Ranka lee!!! ❤❤❤❤❤

Right now, I assume her usage might simply end up being pop/ballad/folk music after the hype dies down a bit.... So far, she just doesn't seem punchy enough to easily carry fast or heavy music.

Only time will tell though!!!

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
Since there was no English demo for Synthesizer V AI Megpoid, I remade her original English v3 demo. Autotune and no phoneme editing were used to give the raw sound of the voice bank.

I made it so you can compare her.

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
I hate to say it, but... I think we are going to start to learn that direct "engine ports" from one dataset to another aren't necessarily a good idea. Having listened to some side-by-side comparisons and after talking to people that own the bank, it seems like she is really struggling at higher frequencies and the "vocal modes" were more of a "mandatory addition" rather than something with a lot of intentional thought/development.

WRT her English, it is nice that the pronunciation is so smooth, but as with a lot of SV banks, despite the original "tone" being intact it really feels like the... texture of GUMI English is completely absent, if that makes any sense at all. If I were interested in making a song with GUMI, I think I'd choose her V6.

Just kinda sad a little bit more money couldn't have been put into the development of this because Gumi SV could've been really interesting. I still like her, but this is a bit of an underwhelming release to me.

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
definitely havent been a fan of hearing voicebanks using existing samples for other engines (not just gumi, but this happened with zola too), its hard to know the process but i feel there are often issues that come out of it from the two examples i have seen it with. i dont think she sounds too awful or, i think id much rather use this over v6 for a variety of reasons, and the improvements it does have. ive always liked her for english use and while her english is a bit different due to how synth v's cross language works, id much rather have SV for its ease of use than v4 or v6.

as some said SV has had vb's get numerous updates that improve quality (whether the engine itself, or the voice banks getting their own updates) so i hope they will utilize that if they are aware of the things people are saying. some of dreamtonic's vbs have change significantly even in terms of how their vocal modes work, so its not impossible for her existing vocal modes to get better if they do the right work with updating her.

nightmare

SynthV Tuner
Apr 22, 2019
England
youtube.com
GUMI V6 sounds more metallic and far less vivid than GUMI SV. The latter also has better English, and some vocal modes are better than none. Lastly, pitch tuning in SynthV is much easier than in V6.

However, GUMI SV is definitely undertrained. She is ever so slightly choppy, noisier than other SynthV AI banks, and needs more data for her vocal modes.

Though, I personally don't find her Vivid vocal mode to be less powerful than her Power extend. Not by much, anyway. Internet Co. still should improve all of her vocal modes. Let's hope GUMI SV sells well enough for them to do so.

Right now, GUMI SV reminds me of GUMI V4 Native/Power, with a little but of Sweet in her softer vocal modes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)