• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

SynthV Synthesizer V Discussion Thread

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
Dreamtonics have added a Synthesizer V page to their website. It's light on detail compared to the fully fleshed out features list that AHS have, but it does tell us a few things. First, AiKO's update/port has formally been confirmed. I will update the OP to reflect this shortly. Also, Synthesizer V Studio Basic will be available as a free download. I don't know why particularly, but it's still good to know. I found something else too, but I don't think I can get away with talking about it...

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Synthesizer V Studio Basic will be available as a free download.
Thank God! I was honestly worried about that. The web SynthV is so painful to use, and not at all indicative of the ease and flow of the actual editor. Plus I’ll get to play with the new editor while waiting for mine to ship out!

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
It's still not entirely clear if Synthesizer V Studio Basic will also come with Saki lite, but I wouldn't discount it.

I realised that on Dreamtonics' Synthesizer V page they had an updated version of Eleanor Forte's "Gotta Be You" demo in the 2nd generation engine, so I made a comparison with the 1st generation version. Do note that the 2nd generation version is as a whole quieter, but I simply put them one after another as they were presented.

Honestly the feel worlds apart to me. Eleanor sounds clearer, more full and more expressive than she used to. When we get to hear her updated version I'm confident now she's going to be the best female English voice we have.

inactive

Passionate Fan
Jun 27, 2019
The listed sampling pitches for for Saki include G#3, C4, F4, and B4 (falsetto). Does this mean that the top B4 notes were recorded in a falsetto voice? Or is it just a reference to the software being able to create pitches far higher than the source sampling? Because B4 seems kinda low for a falsetto, and I don't want a sudden timbral change to occur when I'm getting into C5 range.

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
Do we know the export file formats for the new synth v 2. I wonder if we can use the auto pitch and export it to other vocal synth.

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
The listed sampling pitches for for Saki include G#3, C4, F4, and B4 (falsetto). Does this mean that the top B4 notes were recorded in a falsetto voice? Or is it just a reference to the software being able to create pitches far higher than the source sampling? Because B4 seems kinda low for a falsetto, and I don't want a sudden timbral change to occur when I'm getting into C5 range.
B4 will be a falsetto or head voice pitch (not sure until we actually hear it) and will not automatically activate, like in the Medium⁵ voice databases which have this feature. You will be able to activate it by selecting the pitch group (sub-library) for a note. Cangqiong's is at B4, and Haiyi's is even at A4.

Do we know the export file formats for the new synth v 2. I wonder if we can use the auto pitch and export it to other vocal synth.
Check here. You can export to MIDI and .ust, as well as render to WAV. The only way to copy the auto-pitch would be to render the vocal and then use vocalshifter to transfer said pitchbends to another vocal.

Reactions: uncreepy

inactive

Passionate Fan
Jun 27, 2019
B4 will be a falsetto or head voice pitch (not sure until we actually hear it) and will not automatically activate, like in the Medium⁵ voice databases which have this feature. You will be able to activate it by selecting the pitch group (sub-library) for a note. Cangqiong's is at B4, and Haiyi's is even at A4.
B4 seems awfully low for falsetto. Are they using International (AKA scientific) Pitch Notation? Or Yamaha pitch notation? If it's the latter, it might make more sense.

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
B4 seems awfully low for falsetto. Are they using International (AKA scientific) Pitch Notation? Or Yamaha pitch notation? If it's the latter, it might make more sense.
International. It's probably not a genuine falsetto, but more a softer pitch which approximates the sound. They do sound really good in the Medium⁵ voice databases and work very high, even if they're noted to be around C5.

inactive

Passionate Fan
Jun 27, 2019
Maybe I've listened to and/or studied too much opera, but C5 isn't exactly high for a female voice...

It's one problem I have with existing SynthV voices that I've used (Eleanor and Renri). They only sound nice up to D5, and then they're painful to the ears.

Reactions: Älfa Dröttning

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
Maybe I've listened to and/or studied too much opera, but C5 isn't exactly high for a female voice...

It's one problem I have with existing SynthV voices that I've used (Eleanor and Renri). They only sound nice up to D5, and then they're painful to the ears.
I think it's probably the opera, no offence intended. Also, while they're noted to be around C5 that's simply the pitch they're recorded at and the engine will usually mean that their range is expanded upwards by at least a few notes without sounding awkward thanks to it. Chiyu's top pitch for example was recorded at D5, and works pretty well up to A5 from my experience. Same can be said for the other Medium⁵ vocals, so with any luck Saki and other vocals in English/Japanese will be similar!

inactive

Passionate Fan
Jun 27, 2019
I think it's probably the opera, no offence intended.
I don't know why you think I'd be offended. You're essentially proving that opera is the sUpErIoR singing style. Checkmate, pop singers! Slap like now!

But in all seriousness, even chorale music routinely goes to G5 (and slightly beyond), and chorales are written in such a manner that even non-divas can sing the soprano line.

Additionally, although voice synths do go beyond their highest sampled pitch, they become increasingly artificial sounding the higher one goes. Sure, some people like that fake sound, but I'm all about the realistic timbre. Furthermore, I'm always careful to not overlap the voice other instruments; and because humans generally perceive the highest notes as the melody (although there are compositional techniques to get around this) the lower the vocal range, the less room I have below to add interesting accompaniment.

In short, it'd be nice to have a voicebank with a soprano range (C4 to C6). But I've managed to work around the Renri and (to a much lesser extent) Eleanor issues so far. I just hope this new SynthV doesn't cause my ears to bleed past D4, because I much prefer SynthV technology over the alternatives.

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
I feel like it should be somewhat of a standard that every female synth bank has a soft/falsetto pitch. SynthV and other synths included. Although I've only been using SynthV for a little bit I've found that decreasing the tension while increasing the breathiness can create a falsetto-y sound for Eleanor Forte. It still sounds a bit weird though. I'm just excited for her to get more pitches soon (whenever that's gonna be), mostly because her low range is really ugly :(

Hopefully we get both a falsetto pitch (something like D5 would be ideal) and then an alto-like lower pitch for the Eleanor update!!

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
This may be of interest to some of you here. It's really just my own curiosity, but I've made a survey to find out what kind of vocal people would like to see on Synthesizer V Studio. If you have the time I'd greatly appreciate if you could fill it out. You can find the survey here!

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
Beat me to it...

Some very important information comes from this. Synthesizer V Studio Pro will officially release on July 10th through Animen and Quadimension. AHS will be delayed by about 20 days. If you've not bought already, you may want to consider this. Also, it clears up another question that people had in saying if you bought the editor from Animen, you have to use them to get a special upgrade discount.

(Also, it's implied by this that Genbu and AiKO for Synthesizer V Studio will release on July 10th.)

EDIT: Before I forget, please fill in this survey! I need 2 more responses. It's about what users would like to see in a new SynthV vocal.

Last edited:

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
So I genuinely hate how often I'm triple posting in this thread but this is very important.

For anyone that bought Medium⁵ vocals through a shipping agent!

Quadimension just got back to me in reply to an email I sent a week ago after Synthesizer V Studio was announced. I asked a few questions.

The first was about the special upgrade version, since I got my editor from Animen. They said to contact Animen about it, which I already have, and we now know that'll be coming for the 10th.

The second question was about the upgrade offer they have for their vocals. I own all their vocals and had them registered to the same email, but I wanted to know if I could still buy the upgrade version if I used a shipping agent. They normally go off of purchase history for Chinese customers. Thankfully, they said that it's okay - if you bought through a shipping agent, when you go to buy the upgrade versions leave the same email as before, and say that you're a foreign customer. They'll handle it.

My third question was about the commemorative box versions. I own the current boxes and want to expand my collection, but they're not offering boxes of the new versions yet. I asked if they plan to sell commemorative boxes of the vocals for Synthesizer V Studio. They do! They'll be available in a few months. I've followed this up asking if they'll add a preorder to Taobao soon.

My fourth and final question was about the new male vocal. I asked them to confirm that they are making two new male vocals and a new female vocal as Ddickky said on his stream, and if they'll have boxes too. They confirmed a new male vocal and a new female vocal, as well as saying they're considering making a second new male vocal. They'll all have boxes too, but they'll take time as well.

Hope this helps people.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
My third question was about the commemorative box versions. I own the current boxes and want to expand my collection, but they're not offering boxes of the new versions yet. I asked if they plan to sell commemorative boxes of the vocals for Synthesizer V Studio. They do! They'll be available in a few months. I've followed this up asking if they'll add a preorder to Taobao soon.
Will the boxes also be available at a discount for those who own their OGs or their updates or anything like that, I wonder? The upgrade period doesn’t last long, iirc, and I’d love the boxes, but I don’t wanna wait and then have to pay $106 for Haiyi and Cangqiong when I can pay $7 now (as I don’t intend to use my upgrades until I get a new laptop)...

Reactions: Wario94 and Leon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)