• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Something I've noticed: if a feminine vocal is anything other than mature and sultry and husky, it's often labeled "moe" without further discussion. Hippi's a good example. A lot of people were expecting, well, Lily 2.0, and she instead has a very youthful-sounding voice. I think it's much more realistically youthful than outright moe, but the number of people decrying her for being "uwu kawaii moe desu" and crap like that's just annoying. I wish people wouldn't see feminine vocals as so black and white.
I'll reiterate from the Hippi thread that while her voice was a surprise, I don't hate it either, but it's nowhere near as "kawaii desu" as some people are saying it is. It's young-sounding without being overly cutesy. Basically, she has more similarities to Gumi than say, Miku.

Sep 21, 2019
I've been seeing a lot of people lately saying Tei sounds like Teto but as someone who's worked extensively with both I just want to say she doesn't at all??? They both have very distinct tones accents. I just wanna know where people are getting this idea, haha. :gackpo_ani_lili:
Tei's voice is softer/calmer and more mature sounding and Teto sounds more young and energetic. As for their accents, Teto's "お" vowels have a very distinct accent, which Tei doesn't have. Her accent is most noticeable on any syllable containing a "w" sound or the "う" vowel... this is what happens when you spend a lot of time working with specific vocals, haha--you start picking up on every itty-bitty distinction.:clara_ani_lili:
On a related note, it's not difficult to tell them apart in duets--while they blend together nicely, I can tell who's who immediately (unless one is super quiet and hard to hear). :clara_ani_lili:

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
I think it's because it's not the full ai version too in the lite version so it does effect the comparison

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
its def not that, the AI version just sounds,,,,odd to me. It may be that it sounds more like Rikka's VP, but her standard voice is what I think of when I see her design tbh
Her full AI suffers less of that unpleasant raspiness, but it still just... it's not great, especially compared to her Standard. I've only heard one usage of her AI that I just adore (LiveP's Self-Introduction), but the truth is, her Standard just sounds so much better to me.

I know I've got a history of AI Skepticism, but I'll happily admit the technical superiority of Saki and Maki's AI banks, and I'm really pleased with how much AI has improved in just the past few months. Rikka though... I dunno. I'm just not at all a fan of her AI.

Sep 21, 2019
Admittedly I haven't used or listened to Rikka enough to tell the difference between Ai and standard, but her AI's raspiness can really throw me off. She is absolutely one of my favorite AI banks, but certainly not one I'll defend on her flaws.
Also, I'll add my own two cents and say I don't like Maki's AI banks? Bear in mind, I've only used her lites and I have heard nice uses, but the issues I've encountered is that her JPN AI seems to be very soft and thin, iirc? Also her English, which I could be confusing with standard, suffers from some odd pronunciation? I tried to use her for a cover and thought maybe I messed something up, but when clearing everything she still sounded off. Again, bear in mind, this is my experience with her lites and I still have yet to use her extensively.
Edit: Turns out I was confusing her English Ai and Standard voicebanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: peaches2217

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Admittedly I haven't used or listened to Rikka enough to tell the difference between Ai and standard, but her AI's raspiness can really throw me off. She is absolutely one of my favorite AI banks, but certainly not one I'll defend on her flaws.
Also, I'll add my own two cents and say I don't like Maki's AI banks? Bear in mind, I've only used her lites and I have heard nice uses, but the issues I've encountered is that her JPN AI seems to be very soft and thin, iirc? Also her English, which I could be confusing with standard, suffers from some odd pronunciation? I tried to use her for a cover and thought maybe I messed something up, but when clearing everything she still sounded off. Again, bear in mind, this is my experience with her lites and I still have yet to use her extensively.
Yeah, Maki's Lite banks definitely suffer from thinness, though AI banks in general tend to be more limited in that respect I believe. Her English Standard's pronunciation, I've found, is a lot less natural than her AI, and while I prefer the tone of her Standard, I think her AI pronunciation is more... I dunno, natural? Whatever the case, Maki is a goddess and I love her in all forms. But yeah, her AIs are more limited in how you can use them.

May 8, 2019
I'm actually not a big fan of "edgy" songs (most Kikuo, MARETU, GHOST, etc.). They seem to be extremely popular in the community right now and I don't necessarily like them very much.

Also, I ship Miku with...no one. That's right. No one. The other Vocaloids are her friends but she doesn't have a date nor is she pursung one.

Tuning realistically is nice and kind of a fun challenge, but I don't think a Vocaloid has to be realistic to sound good. I'm a fan of some robotic/minimalistic tuning styles, like those of kz and sasakure. I feel like VOCALOID can get away more with sounding robotic than UTAU can..?

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion
May 8, 2019
As a Brit, I feel very detached from the wider fandom demands of American accented VBs, since Zero G already covered my British accented niche years ago. ^^; If anything, I would prefer English banks with more unique accents - just looking at my home country, Scottish, Welsh and Irish accented VBs would be really fresh ideas.
Avanna is Irish. She sounds very nice IMO.

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
got my brain going thanks to someone on youtube randomly replying to a comment i made over a year ago lol....

basically on the topic of tuning helpers- things like the auto tuner for utau, vocaloid 5's attack and release toosl (which are basically pre-made pitchbends for a lot), and Synth v's auto tuning (which while for the AI banks, can be slapped on any voice if you wished).... i see some people insult the creation of such things, mostly the utau one. and i will never be for it. no one is making you use these things- you can be satisfied w the fact you dont use them but it really shouldnt be your business to try and explain why everyone should "tune by hand"

even when i "tune by hand" you think im not gonna use a converter to change all the phonemes easily?? or any other monotonous task? plugins and tools exist for a reason and if i want to make my expirience tuning easier then i sure will! obviously i get the initial worry, if ppl just slap on the most basic tuning plugin result itll be bland and not great, i dont care to focus on that because the point is i think every seasoned tuner can find use in such things. its like an easy base to throw on because what the tool does is basically what i do anyways. why not get myself a head start and tweak it as i want? it saves me time and energy.

i see a lotta dislike for these kinds of tools and i just cant agree with it, and any other plugins that make the process easier. i would probably not be using vocaloid at all for years if i didnt have some tools to ease the process lol.

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
got my brain going thanks to someone on youtube randomly replying to a comment i made over a year ago lol....

basically on the topic of tuning helpers- things like the auto tuner for utau, vocaloid 5's attack and release toosl (which are basically pre-made pitchbends for a lot), and Synth v's auto tuning (which while for the AI banks, can be slapped on any voice if you wished).... i see some people insult the creation of such things, mostly the utau one. and i will never be for it. no one is making you use these things- you can be satisfied w the fact you dont use them but it really shouldnt be your business to try and explain why everyone should "tune by hand"

even when i "tune by hand" you think im not gonna use a converter to change all the phonemes easily?? or any other monotonous task? plugins and tools exist for a reason and if i want to make my expirience tuning easier then i sure will! obvious i get it, if ppl just slap on the most basic tuning plugin result itll be bland and not great, i dont care to focus on that because the point is i think every seasoned tuner can find use in such things. its like an easy base to throw on because what the tool does is basically what i do anyways. why not get myself a head start and tweak it as i want? it saves me time and energy.

i see a lotta dislike for these kinds of tools and i just cant agree with it, and any other plugins that make the process easier. i would probably not be using vocaloid at all for years if i didnt have some tools to ease the process lol.
God, the pretentious air that surrounds such tools annoys me, and I'm happy to see I'm not the only one! Where does one draw the line between laziness and innovation? A process that's super easy for one person to do by hand is nigh-impossible for others. What matters more than anything is that, when tuning, the user is having a good time and creating something they can be proud of, and who cares how it's done? It's vocalsynthesis, not the damn ACT. Those tools are there for a reason; you can take them or leave them.

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
Where does one draw the line between laziness and innovation? A process that's super easy for one person to do by hand is nigh-impossible for others.
imo, laziness leads to innovation. if youre smart about your work, youll find a way to be "lazy" in the most useful way possible. thats why i feel like tools like this, and many other similar things with other programs, shouldnt be insulted! why shouldnt i find a way to make my work easier, if its literally what i do by hand all the time?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019
I think being all pretentious about tools like autopitchwriter and the tools like it for other synths is just silly. Tuning is an incredibly tedious and time consuming task, and it's not like the tools = instant good tuning much wow zomg--they're imperfect and the results they yield will need to be tweaked more often than not. I've been finding autopitchwriter to be a godsend for me lately because not only does cut down on the work I need to do by hand and make it less tedious, but it also really helps me when I'm stuck and don't know how I should tune a song. Reminds me vaguely of people who say digital art isn't real art as if doing it digitally somehow means everything is done for you.
This may not be the best example, so pardon me, but saying that these tools shouldn't be used is like telling someone they can't ride a motorcycle instead of a bike for transportation because you don't have to pedal it yourself. (Not the best example but I tried, haha.)

ruffe

fka. luwo
Oct 24, 2020
🌎
The VOCALOID community has a history when it comes to being iffy around VSTs, plugins, etc 😩

I remember a point when people were icky about Melodyne because people assumed that's how Mitchie M got his tuning so 'realistic', when it's merely just an incredibly useful pitch correction program! Same goes for Vocalshifter and other programs alike. The weird stigma that all your tuning should be done inside VOCALOID (and any other synth) is such an old and outdated mindset... Tools like the aforementioned are there to enhance what's already there, so if your tuning isn't good in the editor it's not gonna sound good after being butchered in Vshifter or Melodyne.

I think tools like autopitchwriter could be immensely helpful for those who are still learning, just as long as it's not used as a crutch since it's likely to hinder your progress that way!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)