• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

Sep 21, 2019
Oh, I think it's more about my personal opinion on the matter with Len! I wasn't trying to say anything on his quality or anything like that. I just don't like his voice. I've never cared for the shota image. Not to mention that his crazy fangirls were enough to keep me away. They're weird.
Oh, I can totally get that, haha! (I think I misinterpreted your inital opinion, oops! :kyo_ani_lili:)
But, I totally get what your saying about his fangirls. I've had no personal experiences with them (thankfully), but from things I'd heard about them and some very creepy comments I've seen from them on old Vocaloid videos... I... no thank you. (I'm all for expressing your love of a certain character, but some people take things much, much too far! I actually get a bit concerned for them, ngl.)
(And, I mean, if you inspire a bunch of people to make a whole a** joke UTAU because of you then you must've done something either really noteworthy or really notorious. :clara_ani_lili:)

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
I do think it does bear note that when Love is War came out, the ONLY other option for Japanese V2s was the Kagamine Act1s, who were so widely disliked for quality that Crypton had to rush an update. I always think of that as like THE "needed another vocaloid" song, but there was really no other option then.

Unpopular opinion of my own: I don't understand how Kagome-P got even mildly popular using Yuki tbh, they used her in far too heavy of songs for Yuki and tuned her horrifically

Last edited:

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
The Quadimension guy's design looks like, uh

a background character? It's literally so boring

obviously the voice is the important part but it feels like they wanted to make a guy who was as unremarkable as possible so as not to take any attention from the girls

Reactions: Lemony and Rolo

Wario94

Passionate Fan
Jan 5, 2019

obviously the voice is the important part but it feels like they wanted to make a guy who was as unremarkable as possible so as not to take any attention from the girls
Maybe you should wait until Quadimension revealed the official design for Muxin (yes, that's his name).

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018

I don't think the bland design is his official SynthV (is he supposed to be a SynthV?) one, so Quadimension could surprise us with a more interesting male design later.

Reactions: Wario94

Twillby

Longtime Listener
Apr 8, 2018
US
Thirding the Anon Kanon love and adding a related one of my own, I prefer Anon over Kanon. It's a little weird because usually I don't prefer softer banks but she's an exception.

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
A gripe about V5: It's stupid that V2 banks are not compatible with V5. V2 banks can use vsqx in V3/V4, and are still functional, so why not include them?

Sep 21, 2019
A gripe about V5: It's stupid that V2 banks are not compatible with V5. V2 banks can use vsqx in V3/V4, and are still functional, so why not include them?
That’s a relatively popular opinion, but If I had to guess, probably because it’s outdated software (it’s over a decade old!!) and incompatible with modern programming. Yes, previously if you switched the DDB files around, you could “hack” them into V5, but the voicebank would still have the programming for V5 as the DDB files only contain the actual voice samples and “hacking” them in only replaces to voice files and not the actual programming.
Also, I hear V2 can operate a bit wonky on Win10, although I’ve never had issues.
(This makes me wonder how the Vocaloid voicebanks are programmed in the first place.)

Unpopular opinion to keep things on track:
Piko shouldn’t have a Vocaloid update. If anything if they were to update, they should put him on a different engine given Vocaloid’s future doesn’t look very bright.

(Also I’d rather someone like Mayu get an update instead. :mayu_lili: )

Last edited:

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
I am also extremely disappointed that v2 are not supported in v5. It shows that Yamaha doesn't care about their English community. All the voice banks that got effected are English except one. You can see they dropped v2 support for v4 when their popular voice banks got updated around the time of v4x. It's a shame because the v2s actually sound better in v5 and sonika glitches are not noticeable. It's just a shame they had to patch that out. V5 is a mistake it killed a software.

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Given the recent anger towards V5, stronger now than ever for whatever reason, I'd like to chime in with one of my own: V5 is not bad, nor is it responsible for "killing Vocaloid". Is it buggy? Yes. Is it not as accessible? Yes. Am I sad that Yamaha doesn't have a lite version that more people could use, like myself? Hell yes. But a LOT of blame is being misplaced. It's an overhaul, and one that focuses more on pros than hobbyists, and its marketing left a LOT to be desired. Yamaha screwed up with it, and I won't deny that for a moment. But the repeated cries of "V5 killed Vocaloid!", while I used to agree, just kinda... I dunno. It rubs me the wrong way.

I don't think it was the best direction to take, but you have to remember, at the end of the day, that Yamaha is a corporation. They have to focus on what will make money, as well as their own vision for the software. V2 support was discontinued mid-V4 Era because, even by then, they were really old. Remember that software ages extremely quickly. I'd love to see V2 support in V5 (imagine Big Al on the V5 engine!), but I understand why they dropped it. As for the claim that it killed Vocaloid... Vocaloid's quickly becoming outdated anyway. It's been around so long that it may be hard to imagine a world without it, but if it kept on its current path, that wouldn't have changed where it is now, and I firmly believe that. Maybe V5's overhaul was Yamaha's attempt at modernization (because, let's be real, V4 looked pretty outdated, especially near the end of its lifespan).

I have legitimate complaints against it, sure, but I'd hardly go to the lengths lots of others have and say that it poisoned our water supply, burned our crops, and delivered a plague upon our houses. Seeing people left and right dish out hatred for it has gotten exhausting.

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
It could be that I don't want to see another miriam and Leon and Lola, and I see legacy content to be important. There's voices types like prima and toino that has been made since. So if they work in any way they should be in v5. I don't see v4 as outdated the synthesizers has the least engine noise and sounds natural to me. I still see vocaloid as the standard for vocal synthesizers. What I do find out dated is the ui and how it handles pitch.

Also when I mean v5 I mean Yamaha vocaloid division in the v5 era. Sorry if it seems like I'm on the hate train.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
It could be that I don't want to see another miriam and Leon and Lola, and I see legacy content to be important. There's voices types like prima and toino that has been made since. So if they work in any way they should be in v5. I don't see v4 as outdated the synthesizers has the least engine noise and sounds natural to me. I still see vocaloid as the standard for vocal synthesizers. What I do find out dated is the ui and how it handles pitch.

Also when I mean v5 I mean Yamaha vocaloid division in the v5 era. Sorry if it seems like I'm on the hate train.
Yeah, that’s understandable! I know nostalgia has a lot to do with it. That’s why I initially didn’t like it either, or at least part of the reason.

The thing I’ve noticed is that a lot of people tend to decry V5 for not allowing usage of V2s, but then talk about how good V4 was. I’m with you there: V4 DOES have a nice, smooth sound! And V4 supports V2 vocals, so long as you can get an import code (which you would, in theory, need to get them into V5 anyway, if that was an option). I know V4 is a hard find anymore, but Piapro is still readily available. I get the frustration for anyone who’s not interested in any of Crypton’s vocals, but at the same time... I don’t know if I’m making any sense right now, forgive me :yohioloid_lili:

But at the end of the day, while I agree that legacy banks are important, we at some point have to respect them for what they were and continue to move into the future. I don’t think Yamaha is wrong for that. It’s sad, but understandable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)