• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Resource Vocal Synth Voice Characteristics

Sep 21, 2019
I've been doing some documenting of vocal traits of various Vocaloids and UTAU that I've worked with and thought I might share my findings! I was originally going to add it as a resource, but it's very incomplete and is a major wip, so I'll be relying a lot on input from others. It's a little disorganized, but I'll update it and clean things up as I make more notes. Also, anyone is welcome and encouraged to add their findings and notes as well! There's a lot of Vocaloids and UTAU still left to cover!

Feel free to add info about voices from other synths as well! As always, if you run into any problems, just let me know!
(Also, I would love it if you would reply to this thread when you've added information to a document just so people know the document has been updated, but you don't HAVE to.)

Last edited:

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Sweet! This is a really interesting list concept. I'll do my best to add some! For starters:

MEIKO V3
Her "a" vowels tend to be louder than the rest of her vowels, especially with her Power voicebank.
Her highs are strong with her Straight and Power voicebanks.
Her lows sound best with Dark and Straight.

MIKU V4X
Her Soft VB is surprisingly expressive, especially with vibrato
XSYing Solid with another voicebank yields more desirable results for Solid voicebank
Solid on its own can be choppy
Original can make "scooping" sound when going between vowels

OLIVER
Tends to over-pronounce consonants, especially at the beginnings of words
This can be fixed by tweaking his Velocity settings
Handles Japanese well with extensive Phoneme editing
Defaults to "tall" vowels (fitting for a British vocal)
If you type in "chi" he says "kai"
Benefits from high Brightness setting
Great for mids, especially when on harmony
Highs can sound excessively breathy

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion
Sep 21, 2019
^ Thanks! I'm glad you like the idea!
Also, that's all very useful information! That bit about Oliver was pretty interesting; makes me want to buy him and try using him. Do you mind if I add your info to the OP? I'll credit you, of course! If not, it's no problem! :D
(Also, I'm definitely going to remember that info for Miku Solid; I've been trying to use her for a while now!)

Reactions: peaches2217

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Absolutely! Anything I post here can go on the OP for reference. I really do recommend Oliver; he can be a pain, but he's still a lot of fun to work with, so long as you're not expecting to use him in anything heavy and powerful, vocal-wise. (Plus he's one of the cheaper vocals.)

Also, try XSYing Solid with Sweet. That one seems to work best, in my opinion. Though definitely play around with it!

peaches2217

Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Can we add info for Synth V vocals? Some stuff I've noticed:

GENBU
Very, very powerful
Vocals can be made gentler by reducing Tension
Exceptional lows and highs
Mids can sound a bit strange without editing
Tends to make a "ng" sound leading into words any sound that starts with "g" (especially "ga")
Places heavy stress on consonants
(Still haven't found a fix for this, as Synth V doesn't quite have an equivalent to the Velocity parameter)

RENRI
A very soft vocal, fitting for ballads or trance-electronic
Can be used for certain types of rock with proper editing
Beautiful, smooth lows - a good alto voice
Highly expressive in spite of her softness
Can sound electronic going between notes that jump in pitch

kozet

Conlanger
Jul 5, 2019
flirora.xyz
Can we add info for Synth V vocals? Some stuff I've noticed:

GENBU
Very, very powerful
Vocals can be made gentler by reducing Tension
Exceptional lows and highs
Mids can sound a bit strange without editing
Tends to make a "ng" sound leading into words any sound that starts with "g" (especially "ga")
Places heavy stress on consonants
(Still haven't found a fix for this, as Synth V doesn't quite have an equivalent to the Velocity parameter)

RENRI
A very soft vocal, fitting for ballads or trance-electronic
Can be used for certain types of rock with proper editing
Beautiful, smooth lows - a good alto voice
Highly expressive in spite of her softness
Can sound electronic going between notes that jump in pitch
A few more notes:

ALL JAPANESE SYNTHVS
Can't pronounce most final consonant clusters; to work around this, add an extra note for the second consonant and make its vowel voiceless

GENBU
"w" at the start of the phrase sounds like x[r\]; possibly exploitable for conlang shenanigans
"s r" and reducing onset timing for x[K] doesn't work very well

RENRI
"s r" and reducing onset timing for x[K] works well enough

Sep 21, 2019
Well, it's been a while since I updated this thread! I just added some information about Mayu and Tei, as well as reorganized the list a little and added a category for "other" Vocaloids. (This would be a Vocaloid like Mayu or Piko where they are the only Vocaloid by a particular company.)

Reactions: peaches2217 and ___

___

Oct 8, 2019
Hm, it's probably worth mentioning that Teto benefits from having the gender flag on higher number. I personally usually have it on around 5-6 but I've seen people go as high as 9 and I've heard covers that I'm pretty sure had it on even higher numbers.

Now, I'm not as observative and not as experienced with Vocaloid to give very detailed descriptions but I do have something to say about Otomachi Una's Sugar voicebank.

Even if Sugar is softer in comparison to Spice people shouldn't treat her like Yuki for example. She doesn't completely lack power in her voice, she's more closer to Hime in power.

Sep 21, 2019
^Thank you for the information! I've added it to the OP!
It's probably worth mentioning that Teto benefits from having the gender flag on higher number.
Just to clarify, when you say Teto benefits from having her gender flag on a higher number, do you mean decreasing it (i.e. g-6) or increasing it (g+6)? I just want to make sure I write it correctly! ^^

Sep 21, 2019
Added more information about Rin, Len, Mayu, and Tei. I also added some info about Eleanor Forte!

Also, if anyone finds anything they disagree about or feel like is wrong, feel free to let me know so I can look into it! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)