• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

hamano tries to draw

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
Well... it's been ages since I've posted something on this thread, I've been busy with work and stuff and only drawn a little over the summer and autumn. But after a long time I tried again yesterday.

This is just a pencilwork with still some small tweaks to be made. I should try inking it at some point, but I'm a bit hesitant since my inking still creates messy lines.

Reactions: mobius017

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
That's some seriously nice work. GJ! It's very nice generally, but I think you did particularly well on her body and arms. And her face. ...Well, everything's generally good. :) The jewelry is really detailed and is a nice touch!

If you're still looking for feedback
  • Consider making the outside of her right arm (the arm on the left side of the paper) more rounded. Her left is really nice, but the outside of her right looks a little flat, and it shows up in the curve of her right shoulder, as well. This is actually a familiar problem for me, as I've seen it show up the few times I've tried drawing people, too. (I'll just bet you're right-handed. :) It's just an untested theory of mine, but I'd guess there's some sort of bias that exists for people who draw that makes it harder for them to work on the side of the paper that's opposite their dominant hand.)
  • Check on the position of her ear--I think it should be higher up. On a live person, I think the tops of the ears are a little under being in line with the tops of their eyes, though I suppose that varies from person to person. Then again, this is an anime-style person, too, so the eyes are a good deal bigger than they are in real life--I'm not sure what anime does with the ear-eye relationship. I think her ear should maybe be a little bit bigger, too (maybe 10-20%?).
  • Maybe adjust where the curve for the right side of her chest begins to better match the outline of the left side of her chest.
  • This is debatable, but think about the fold/wrinkle lines in the fabric on her right side--I think maybe they're going up at too sharp of an angle. Why would the folds on that side be so much different from the ones on her left?
  • Maybe smooth out her right pigtail a little--the curve on the lower half seems too deep/comes to too much of a peak at the top to be just how her hair naturally hangs.
All that said, you still did a great job! I'm no artist at all--I just wanted to try to be helpful.

If you're concerned about inking, would it be possible to make copies of your original and try practicing from those? A photocopier would probably be too dark, but if you have or know someone who has a scanner attached to their computer, you can get some really good-fidelity copies off of those--potentially good enough to be confusable with your original. Inking those would probably be good practice, and you could make as many copies as you felt like making. Heck, even the picture you posted here, printed on computer paper, would probably be good enough for practicing on.

Last edited:
Reactions: hamano

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
^ Thank you!

I can see the things that need adjustment like you pointed out. Thanks for that. It's still a work in progress, so I'll keep in mind what you said when I continue on this.

And btw, I'm left-handed :)

Reactions: mobius017

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
^ Thank you!

I can see the things that need adjustment like you pointed out. Thanks for that. It's still a work in progress, so I'll keep in mind what you said when I continue on this.

And btw, I'm left-handed :)
NP, hope it's helpful!

Mm, guess my theory needs some revision.... :)

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
She looks really awesome! Great job!

You may not like how the colors blended/didn't blend, but one of the first things I saw that I liked was how the blue works sort of like highlights against the teal. You really did well with the white in adding a shine effect. And her eye is great--the iris has a sense of depth and seems to capture the light. You did really well on the peach/pink for her skin to make it look real, too, as well as the texture of her dress, and the fold thing I mentioned before (actually, it looks like you addressed all the stuff I mentioned before quite well).

Oh, I just saw that she has leek earrings :).

Really cool, really great work!

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
Thank you both^^

Personally I'm still not very happy with the colours and shading, but I'll try to work on those in the future. (Her skin colour is the colour I'm most content with, a very thin layer of orange and light pink actually do blend reasonably well). What bugs me is that I can't blend teal with these colours (I used turquoise which is okay, but teal would be better).
I'll have to consider markers like Copics or something, or just a better set of colour pencils.

Instead of drawing more Miku I think I should try the Kagamines next... or try Luka again...

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
It's really too bad I can't like this more than once.... You may not have been trying to be too elaborate, but she looks really great! I wish she'd drop by my family's Christmas party--she looks like she'd really add to the fun!

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
So I recently moved to digital drawing, and after some various difficulties in the process (I'm a total noob when it comes to drawing digitally), I finally finished one illustration. It was a practice project for me to follow through the whole process, I'm glad I even managed to pull it off. But thanks to this, I now know a lot more about digital art.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Wow, you ended up making a really wonderful drawing digitally! Looks really clean and cute!

The only suggestion I can think of is that she has a lot of hard shading and only a little bit of soft shading, so maybe you could keep experimenting with how you want to shade.

I can't wait to see what you make next.
:miku_rylitah:

Reactions: GreenFantasy64

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
Thanks!

I agree that I need to work on shading more, basically I made soft shading only on her chest area because hard shading somehow ended up looking funny. I think I'll try using soft shading more next time.

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
Awesome job Hamano!

Uncreepy gives great advice for extra realism. However, there are many artstyles that only use hard shading, so you may find it works for you! Here are some good examples if you're looking for inspiration:

Comparison between hard and soft shading
Comic books often use this style
Great for that 'anime screenshot' look (Most animations stick to hard shading)
Mikumiku (Chamooi is a hard shading pro)

In general:
If you love painterly art styles or CG art, use a mixture of hard and soft edges.
If you prefer the look of 2D animations or comic books, keep it crisp.

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
^Thanks! Many illustrators seem to combine different types of shading. I'm currently working on a piece using only soft shades, but I hope that in the future I'll be able to use both styles depending on the feel I want for a particular piece of art.

Also I'm trying to improve highlighting, especially for hair.

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
Hi again! Here's some stuff I've made lately. (I'm posting them in the order in which they were completed, since I believe that shows my improvement the best)

My current profile picture.

Looking at this now, I'm not very happy with how this turned out.

I'm quite happy with this one. Somehow this has the most likes and bookmarks out of my works on pixiv.

This was more of a doodle I ended up detailing a bit.

Now that I'm here, I'd like to announce that from now on this thread will be more for the purpose of sharing my works, instead of posting one illustration at a time asking what to do better. However, I'll still gladly listen to feedback.

Next I'm focusing on the Miku Day illustration I'm working on. I've done a lot of work on it already and hopefully it'll turn out fine.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Wow, you've been doing a lot of artwork and they all look really nice. Can't wait to see more from you!
:kaito_move:

Osakablade

Vocaloid User, Not A Fan.
Apr 23, 2018
Japan
Keep practising but most of all enjoy it and thanks I got inspired a little so did a quick 40 minute sketch of a realish Miku myself. Its been a while since I did anything drawing wise.

What you think??.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)