• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Other Miku is getting her own animated series with direct input from CFM

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
If this is what the animation actually looks like, I have to say I'm positively surprised! I was fearing for the worst, but that looks very pretty! Honestly that promo picture looks like what I was hoping the style would turn out to be. Thank you for this, it made me very happy to see my initial expectations were seemingly wrong

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
Give me a more cartoony look and you got yourself a deal from me!

i legitimately thought we’d get a western cartoon look, and sadly not nfsbjfjhdej

maybe someday-

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I'm surprised they're sticking with the traditional anime style rather than a Western cartoony look, but it does ease one of the many worries I currently have about the project.

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
traditional anime style rather than a Western cartoony look
Probably to appease the anime fans here in the West skskkdmkdm

It does kind of stink for me, personally, cuz when I think of “Western Animated Series” I think of something that would be on 2000s Nick or CN, not an anime type style

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
In the end the core audience will primarily be Miku fans, many of whom double as anime fans, and Miku being known for being an "anime girl", it makes total sense. Western cartoony style would put a lot of the target audience off I think (like myself as an example).

Reactions: mobius017 and ruffe

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I mean, as far as I heard, people had their issues with the Shinkalion anime, mostly because they felt Miku 1) didn't sound good, or 2) because she was only in like 2 episodes and they wanted to see her more.
Miku was in a lot more than just 2 episodes, she's an actual reoccurring character.
(I agree with all your points about the upcoming Graphic India animation, by the way.)

I am yet again disgusted by the reaction to this series by hardcore fans. Saying the news was fake even though both companies involved have actual credentials such as working with big name networks and working with well-known brands, why would they lie about something like that? Why would the article that reported on it make that up, either (pulling out two random names to fake an article is a ridiculously wild assumption). And Carlin West's website has the Hatsune Miku logo on it! What part of "exclusive interview" does not make sense? Graphic India probably quick put up the tweet with the Miku art because fans were losing their minds as usual.

Everyone was dissing it before they even saw the artwork or knew the premise. The article was out for ONE DAY. In my humble opinion, I think it's ridiculous to be worrying so much about if Miku is going to have a personality (she kinda stinking needs one, even if it's the baby-level clapping and cooing with both hands like Project Diva or she'd just stand there like a zombie). It seems like gatekeeping where "I can have a headcannon for Miku, but not Sharad Devarajan". So ridiculous I can't even believe this entitled drama. : /

Good and bad adaptations happen every stinking year. Remakes of old movies, series getting another spin-off (ex: Scooby Doo or Ninja Turtles), songs getting covered in a new style by popular singers, people updating old classic books by making their own version (ex: a young adult romance novel about Beauty and the Beast).

And people being like "This will confuse fans or make Miku look bad", well many are doing a good enough job at making the fandom look bad all on their own. :) New fans are already confused by all the different worlds Miku is in for famous niconico songs with animated PVs, learning about the software and companies and crud is part of the fun. I just get some strong India-hating vibes on this subject and it's pathetic, like they can't have a Miku series over there just because the art may not be like 10/10 Studio Ghilbi animation? And disliking Carlin West being linked to 4Kids even though those series listed are major parts of people's childhoods... I'm so mad about every aspect of this discussion.

Edit: Forgot to mention that everyone has their own opinions/reasons for them and that's okay. I just think that the level of panic at this early stage does not match the amount of information we have about the series (ex: number of episodes, actors involved, or how long the episodes even are), but that's just me...

Last edited:

Ronny777

VOCALOID5 Tuner
Dec 10, 2020
Canada
soundcloud.com
I also think its silly to be upset about something like this. Miku already has a bunch manga adaptations of her and different personalities from songs made using her voice. How is this any different from that. Honestly, some people are just too obsessed.

Weren't they saying she'd have a new look? This more-less looks like her V2. Could just be for promo.
Maybe they meant a new outfit?

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Weren't they saying she'd have a new look? This more-less looks like her V2. Could just be for promo.
The most significant difference I can see from her usual anime art is in the eyes. To me, they look a little more rounded and smaller than how I think I usually see anime eyes. In anime, my impression is that the eyes' overall shape is bigger and somewhat angular at the corners (sort of polygonal with rounded bits at some of the edges), and of course they have the larger irises/pupils. In this art, the irises/pupils are also larger, but overall the eyes seem smaller/vertically narrower, with smaller whites and a more oval shape. I've no idea if that's common to Indian cartoons or not, or if it reflects the style of Graphic India; it doesn't really look like Chakra or Astra Force to me, but is maybe (maybe?) somewhere between those two and traditional anime style.

Having said that, I don't think anyone would cry foul if they saw a fan artist make a picture of Miku like this on Pixiv. Aside from the eyes, it looks like most any traditional anime artwork of her I've seen.

Reactions: Ronny777

___

Oct 8, 2019
The most significant difference I can see from her usual anime art is in the eyes. To me, they look a little more rounded and smaller than how I think I usually see anime eyes. In anime, my impression is that the eyes' overall shape is bigger and somewhat angular at the corners (sort of polygonal with rounded bits at some of the edges), and of course they have the larger irises/pupils. In this art, the irises/pupils are also larger, but overall the eyes seem smaller/vertically narrower, with smaller whites and a more oval shape. I've no idea if that's common to Indian cartoons or not, or if it reflects the style of Graphic India; it doesn't really look like Chakra or Astra Force to me, but is maybe (maybe?) somewhere between those two and traditional anime style.
That's a matter of artstyle, not really a design which I was assuming they were talking about:o ik "new look" can be either of those but I'd assume if they bothered to mention it, it'd be a new outfit ^^' or really unconventional art style for Miku but that doesn't appear to be the case. Like...an eye-shape is so trivial that can't be it....

sketchesofpayne

Listening to Hatsune Miku since 2007
Jan 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
This appears to me like it is going to be a video version of the MIKU-Pack magazine. It had announcements, event reports, music samples, stories, manga, artwork, 4-koma comics, and various things like that. A variety showcase essentially.

From the description I could imagine a 15-20 minute "episode" being something like:

• Announcement of upcoming event (30 sec)
  • Funny cartoon or animated PV by either in-house or contracted artists (2-3 min)
  • Ad for new merch (15 sec)
  • Live action report from currently ongoing cross-promotion event (1-2 min)
  • (or) Live action interview segment with producers or Crypton staff (1-2 min)
  • Ongoing serialized story animation segment (10-15 min)
  • Fanart crawl while music samples play from established and/or newcomer producers (3-5 min)
  • Ad for Project Sekai (30 sec)

Reactions: TheStarPalace

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I dunno what's going on, but Eji found out that the promo image is actually line art from a Miku coloring book, check out the thread:
Well, that looks...highly irregular.

After giving it some thought, though, I remembered mentioning the song contest terms earlier. I wonder how much of a stretch it would be to think that the artwork in the coloring book was selected/compiled similarly?

If the two work the same way, CFM acquires certain rights of the original creators when a song is selected as a winner. They use those rights to actually let themselves include the song in the concert, as well as for promotional purposes. It's a little different from what I remember from the song contest I did, but here's a page describing the Mirai 2021 song contest; near the bottom, if the machine translation is to be believed, it talks somewhat about the transfer of rights to CFM and about the original authors not exerting certain of their authorship rights against CFM or designated third parties, or something to that effect. Basically, I think it's saying that the original creators agree to let CFM/designated third parties do particular things with the song without suing them.

Also, have a look at the video from Eji from further down in that Tweet thread: on the left-hand page (which I assume refers to the current illustration; if it doesn't, I assume the same sort of message is likely present for most/every illustration in the book), it says "(c) Crypton Future Media, INC," right below the artist's name. If CFM has the copyright, they may have the ability to let Graphic India use that image, or any other Miku image to which CFM has similar rights, for promotional purposes. Basically, GI could be one of those designated third parties.

Not saying I know any of this to be true, but things may not be the clusterf**k they appear at first glance.

Usually, I think CFM always includes the name of the original artist in whatever artwork they use, though, though I'm not sure they technically HAVE to. Not sure why that wasn't done in this Tweet from Graphic India. Maybe GI works more with their own stuff and doesn't commonly think that way in the way CFM does, or maybe the social media person/whoever put the graphic together (art + company logos) just goofed...?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheStarPalace

___

Oct 8, 2019
Well, that looks...highly irregular.

After giving it some thought, though, I remembered mentioning the song contest terms earlier. I wonder how much of a stretch it would be to think that the artwork in the coloring book was selected/compiled similarly?

If the two work the same way, CFM acquires certain rights of the original creators when a song is selected as a winner. They use those rights to actually let themselves include the song in the concert, as well as for promotional purposes. It's a little different from what I remember from the song contest I did, but here's a page describing the Mirai 2021 song contest; near the bottom, if the machine translation is to be believed, it talks somewhat about the transfer of rights to CFM and about the original authors not exerting certain of their authorship rights against CFM or designated third parties, or something to that effect. Basically, I think it's saying that the original creators agree to let CFM/designated third parties do particular things with the song without suing them.

Also, have a look at the video from Eji from further down in that Tweet thread: on the left-hand page (which I assume refers to the current illustration; if it doesn't, I assume the same sort of message is likely present for most/every illustration in the book), it says "(c) Crypton Future Media, INC," right below the artist's name. If CFM has the copyright, they may have the ability to let Graphic India use that image, or any other Miku image to which CFM has similar rights, for promotional purposes. Basically, GI could be one of those designated third parties.

Not saying I know any of this to be true, but things may not be the clusterf**k they appear at first glance.

Usually, I think CFM always includes the name of the original artist in whatever artwork they use, though, though I'm not sure they technically HAVE to. Not sure why that wasn't done in this Tweet from Graphic India.
Even if that were the case it doesn't really matter, it would still potentially be misleading about the end product and in poor taste.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Even if that were the case it doesn't really matter, it would still potentially be misleading about the end product and in poor taste.
I'll go along with you on that--it would've been better to showcase how the show was actually going to look, and that doesn't seem to be the case here. I was only really offering my suppositions on the legality of it/whether or not the artwork was essentially being stolen, which seemed to be the focus of Eji's Tweet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)