• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Well, in all fairness, even by 2009 Miku wasn't the best Japanese Vocaloid, but she's the most popular to this day.
Yeah, but I think Miku did things really differently that led her to her status. She was the first vocal with a character and she was made to be moe which appealed to a big demographic. I don't think gumi english....really does anything that different from any other english vb.

Reactions: peaches2217

___

Oct 8, 2019
I always wondered why Megpoid eng is the most used english voicebank, cause imo, she's not the best. Don't get me wrong I really like her, but I just don't think shes very understandable and I think a lot of other engloids sound better than her. It's just kind of weird to me that she totally blew up in the western community
I like Gumi as much as the next person but I do agree there are better options now but I do get why she got so popular. People were already familair with her from V2, it was a voice they already knew and her english was the closest-sounding to a native english vb at the time, some people don't really keep up with engloids and this was a popular japanese vocaloid getting and english voicebank, chances are Gumi was their first exposure to engloids.

Edit: I know this will sound mean but I think many producers wouldn't bother with Gumi is she didn't bring in guaranteed views.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Edit: I know this will sound mean but I think many producers wouldn't bother with Gumi is she didn't bring in guaranteed views.
I don't this sounds mean at all, it's very true and a smart move for producers. English vocaloid music with gumi by far gets more views than if you were to use say Daina or Cyva. Using Gumi eng is a fantastic way to guarantee more success for your music, and you cant fault people for wanting that!
Unfortunately I feel like it leads to gumi singing a lot of songs that would be better with someone else. But thats what covers are for :)

___

Oct 8, 2019
I don't this sounds mean at all, it's very true and a smart move for producers. English vocaloid music with gumi by far gets more views than if you were to use say Daina or Cyva. Using Gumi eng is a fantastic way to guarantee more success for your music, and you cant fault people for wanting that!
Unfortunately I feel like it leads to gumi singing a lot of songs that would be better with someone else. But thats what covers are for :)
Oh I definitely don't fault people for using Gumi to gain recognition, just stating that seeing as how big of a pain she is to work with, I think without her prior popularity she would have been left in the dust by now.

Edit: It sounds harsh I know, but I do believe something like that would have happened even tho I like Gumi :miku2_move:

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019
I think XSY is very well liked, just look at the over the top reaction people had when Yamaha reomved it in V5 :teto_lili:
Oh, really? I was under the impression that a lot of people thought it was useless but people were still upset over its removal in V5. (Then again, I got this impression from the wiki, and I think a lot of us know by now that wiki comments aren't exactly the best representation of this fandom's feelings about something. XD)

Well, thanks for enlightening me! :teto_lili:

Reactions: ___

___

Oct 8, 2019
It's alrighty! Maybe they're right about japanese people not being all that impressed with XSY ( emphasis on "maybe", I do not speak japanese yet, can't speak for the japanese community ) but people like it in the west as far as I know, modding XSY was pretty popular at one point too.

___

Oct 8, 2019
I guess it's my unpopular opinion that I think XSY is little overrated and I don't think it's removal warranted such a strong reaction :teto_lili: . It's not that XSY does it's job poorly, I don't think that at all! And I totally get why people like it but I think it was...hm..let's say poor design choice that didn't really lead vocaloid in the right direction. Like developing gazillion appends for V4 Gumi to XSY with or Arsloid's half assed XSY voicebanks. V5 gave alternative tools to control vocaloids' tone with, that can be applied to literally any vocaloid compatible with the program. I think focusing on making the editor ITSELF capable at making single vocal more flexible is far more productive than developing gazillion appends. Abandoning XSY and moving on to different methods was a good call on Yamaha I think but I do wish they would have given us some alternative in making one voicebank transition seamlessly into another ( like Spicy to Sugar for Una ).

Sep 21, 2019
Yeah, a lot of people reacted really poorly to XSY being removed. Several V4s benefit from, if not rely on, XSY, so I know that's at least how the Western fandom reacted.
Others might beg to differ, but I feel like Len cold pretty much requires being XSY'd with his power voicebank; I find it too weak to use otherwise. Miku solid benefits greatly from being XSY'd with original.
I think focusing on making the editor ITSELF capable at making single vocal more flexible is far more productive than developing gazillion appends. Abandoning XSY and moving on to different methods was a good call on Yamaha I think but I do wish they would have given us some alternative in making one voicebank transition seamlessly into another ( like Spicy to Sugar for Una ).
I don't use V5 myself, but I agree with this statement. (Especially since voicebanks with multiple appends take up so much disk space and generally cost more than voicebanks without. :gackpo_ani_lili:)

As much as I like XSY, it doesn't quite serve the purpose it was intended to have. Sure, I can XSY Len power with cold to get a combination of the two voicebanks, but if I increase it to a certain amount... the results aren't pretty, so it doesn't really coverup switching between vbs.

Reactions: ___

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
Others might beg to differ, but I feel like Len cold pretty much requires being XSY'd with his power voicebank; I find it too weak to use otherwise. Miku solid benefits greatly from being XSY'd with original.

I don't use V5 myself, but I agree with this statement. (Especially since voicebanks with multiple appends take up so much disk space and generally cost more than voicebanks without. :gackpo_ani_lili:)

As much as I like XSY, it doesn't quite serve the purpose it was intended to have. Sure, I can XSY Len power with cold to get a combination of the two voicebanks, but if I increase it to a certain amount... the results aren't pretty, so it doesn't really coverup switching between vbs.
Worth noting both Len Cold and Miku Solid predate XSY by five years

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

Twillby

Longtime Listener
Apr 8, 2018
US
I'm honestly still a bit salty about them removing XSY because I just really love a Lily V3/Native blend. Though maybe there's a way to get a similar sound out of one of them in V5, maybe one day I'll know

I'm also not saying I found a Kiyoteru/Iroha blend I thought was cool but I found a Kiyoteru/Iroha blend I thought was cool

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
I think Miku append has the best tonal range of any append vocaloid. They might not all work well together like gumi extend but they all sound different and unique. I think Miku should have more appends than trying different languages. I think xsy really added to vocaloids and expanded their capabilities of trying to add nuance tonal differences

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
XSY was something I had wanted to see in Vocaloid ever since Vocaloids having multiple banks became a thing, though I don't think the actual results of XSY... sounded very good. I had wanted a smooth transition between banks, but even if you have XSY applied 100%, the secondary bank doesn't sound exactly like that bank on its own, if that makes sense? It usually sounds pretty bad.

I had hoped V5 would improve upon that and make transitions between banks smoother, but instead they just removed it entirely. I'm not too upset since I can always just use V4 whenever I need to XSY, but it does give me less of a reason to use V5 orz (though I don't completely hate V5 either).

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
I think Miku append has the best tonal range of any append vocaloid. They might not all work well together like gumi extend but they all sound different and unique. I think Miku should have more appends than trying different languages. I think xsy really added to vocaloids and expanded their capabilities of trying to add nuance tonal differences
Hmm, I honestly don't think they could really get anymore unique tones than Miku already has - even Light and Vivid were criticized for lacking variety between them and normal Miku (which is why they were dropped).
Honestly, I don't think ANY vocaloid can manage more than 5 vbs in one language without some becoming redundant.

Also my unpopular XSY opinion- I mostly use English and Spanish vocaloids, XSY may well have not existed.
The voice colors are like XSY except actually useful for more than like 10 vocaloids.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)