• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
My personal favorite is her V3 design. It's a perfect blend of her original design and her Append: she's got thick, flowing hair, a lighter color scheme, and more expressiveness. I'm really happy that her new Piapro design (or at least her design for Project Sekai) re-incorporates a lot of elements from it.

Sep 21, 2019
I don't find Miku very easy to use (speaking about V4x Original here), and Original is the hardest for me to tune. I find her solid vb to be the easiest, but maybe I'm just cursed to only work well with power vocals. XD
(I envy all those early producers who used Miku; they've got some mad skills!)

___

Oct 8, 2019
Ruko's male voicebanks + moresampler are way better masculine voicebanks than any of the vocaloid ones out there. Vocaloid is seriously missing a voicebank like Ruko's male voicebanks.

I think it's unpopular cuz there are many people out there who would argue with me that utaus are inherently worse than vocaloids :p

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
I feel like the Len Getting Killed jokes were hilarious at first just because the number of times he got killed off for emotional oomph was ridiculously high in his early days. Y'know, cute boy + death + grieving twin/friends/family/loved ones = instant, low-effort tearjerker. :LOL: But it's a joke that died off in the early-mid 2010s, and it's jarring when I go to a comment section and still see people making "Whoops, Len's dead again lol" jokes because it's so overdone.

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
We need more Spanish 'loids (maybe not so unpopular?)

The V2s were some of the best English banks we ever got. Ann and Al especially are still really nice quality and hold up to ones like DDR surprisingly well, given that the user understands how to mess with phoneme combinations to get a more natural sound than the default dictionary.
To be fair V2 also gave us Sonika, and no matter how much I love her she's not,, well. You know.

___

Oct 8, 2019
We need more Spanish 'loids (maybe not so unpopular?)

The V2s were some of the best English banks we ever got. Ann and Al especially are still really nice quality and hold up to ones like DDR surprisingly well, given that the user understands how to mess with phoneme combinations to get a more natural sound than the default dictionary.
To be fair V2 also gave us Sonika, and no matter how much I love her she's not,, well. You know.
I agree with this 100%, Sweet Ann is such a great engloid and holds up so well comapred to the modern ones, crazy to think she was initially supposed to be a V1.

Last edited:

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
It really is a shame. I wonder if they would have had a better reception if they'd been released around V4 instead of V2? I was around for the very start of the V3 era, but I have little clue what V2's era was like, either.

Spoiler for slightly illegal irritation
Still will never be over V2s not being supported in V5. I'd get it if there was some genuine technical reason why, but since people nearly immediately managed to crack V5 into accepting V2s with no ill effects, AND got V5 banks into V4 just fine too, it's clearly not. It appears to just be Yamaha trying to put older technology behind them despite it still being functional, and it makes me really sad. Lowkey, if Crypton does release a vocal synth that accepts Vocaloid voicebanks and it works with V2s (since their core 5 + appends are V2 it would make some sense, if Vocaloids work on it at all) I might jump ship, at least for using V2s. God knows I'll never give up V1. End rant!

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
IDK, Vocaloid community back then was very into using the vocaloid characters to make stories. I mean they made 90 kaito derivatives because there were fewer male vocaloids. Also most of the people I know are into vocaloid for the characters and the V2 engloids don't appeal to them...also Amy and Chris definitely aren't anime styled and people hate their designs

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
Sonika wants to know your location.
It is interesting to point this out, though, since someone did upload that old email screenshot of Zero-G stating there would be "a new version of Sonika to buy" later in 2018 (2017 maybe?). Shame that that project appears to have been abandoned?

IDK, Vocaloid community back then was very into using the vocaloid characters to make stories. I mean they made 90 kaito derivatives because there were fewer male vocaloids. Also most of the people I know are into vocaloid for the characters and the V2 engloids don't appeal to them...also Amy and Chris definitely aren't anime styled and people hate their designs
I think the reason people dislike the V5 defaults' designs is that they're just kind of creepy? The renders look sort of like discount Sims, and it came out at a very unfortunate time where everyone just immediately meme'd about them being Thanos snapped. I think the casual clothes and making them have oversized glowy necklaces is fun, but I definitely draw them all a little more cartoony haha,,

Reactions: Aia and peaches2217

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Ok yeah, there's a lot of reasons for people not liking the V5 starters, most of them are pretty valid. It's just a little disappointing to see people make full on redesigns that take away all their unique characteristics (unpopular opinion: I don't like skinny Chris even if it's just a silly fan interpretation)

Reactions: Aia and peaches2217

___

Oct 8, 2019
I would be really happy if we could use V2 voicebanks in V5, I'd definitely love to use some of the V5 features on them but also I can't really say I'm mad because they're really old software that doesn't represent the current quality of the products ( especially the japanese voicebanks ) and I don't think it's unreasonable to let them go, even tho yes I agree it's a bummer :/ I think they could get away with still offering support for the engloids because they haven't aged nearly as badly as the japanese vocaloids but that...would be odd exception that many would call unfair. Plus, their age REALLY shows when ported into such modern software like V5, at least from the examples I've heard.

Also dunno if I would call it cracking, it was really just a matter of changing one file with another, it was ridiculously easy. :LOL:

It is interesting to point this out, though, since someone did upload that old email screenshot of Zero-G stating there would be "a new version of Sonika to buy" later in 2018 (2017 maybe?). Shame that that project appears to have been abandoned?
Apparently it was just a hoax but boy I wish.

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
-snip-
Also dunno if I would call it cracking, it was really just a matter of changing one file with another, it was ridiculously easy. :LOL:

Apparently it was just a hoax but boy I wish.
That's fair, I suppose. Just makes me sad, but I admit fully that I'm biased!
Also, unless I've done it wrong, I've swapped files in every way I could imagine (swapping only 1 or 2, all of them, renaming, not renaming, using a V3, V4, or V5, using a V4 trial, etc etc) and it has just never sang for me. Maybe it got patched out by the time I got around to trying? :(

A hoax, huh. That's even more sad somehow. I hope not :kaito_lili:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)