• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
Unpopular opinion so we don't get derailed again: I dont think Ruby is just a knock-off Cyber Diva and shes actually kinda okay.
Yeah, honestly I don't think they're even that close?
They have similar traits (mostly being really nasal) and can sound similar, but they sound pretty different when actually used....they sound about as similar as Gumi and Luka imo (so not that similar)

Reactions: Aia and Leon

StrawberryAce

New Fan
Dec 11, 2019
I wish there were more Vocaloids like SeeU and Maika that have extra phonemes to help them sing in other languages.

I also like it when people use Japanese Vocaloids without English banks to sing in English. Is it fully understandable? Nope but it sounds cool and completely unexpected.

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
Dunno how unpopular this actually is, but I think older versions of banks shouldn't be discontinued when new ones come out. My own failing quest to find Nana V3 aside, this especially hits home with the Cybers and VY1/2, who are now only available as V5s, despite essentially being ports. So if someone wanted one of those without owning V5, too bad, buy the new expensive editor... Same with anyone who might have an older editor for a voice that got updated to a new one tbh.

Also, didn't VY1V4 have different banks that are now unavailable, as well as VY2V3's falsetto? Bad move to not include those in V5 imho.

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
Dunno how unpopular this actually is, but I think older versions of banks shouldn't be discontinued when new ones come out. My own failing quest to find Nana V3 aside, this especially hits home with the Cybers and VY1/2, who are now only available as V5s, despite essentially being ports. So if someone wanted one of those without owning V5, too bad, buy the new expensive editor... Same with anyone who might have an older editor for a voice that got updated to a new one tbh.

Also, didn't VY1V4 have different banks that are now unavailable, as well as VY2V3's falsetto? Bad move to not include those in V5 imho.
That's the point. They want you to buy the new editor. They don't want you buying old banks.
That's why Gackpo/Gumi V3 aren't available either anymore, despite Gackpo V4 being a port.

To be honest, that's like....basic business practice. Old versions of other music software aren't available either.

(I agree that VY1's banks should have been preserved, but VY2 Falsetto was never used, nearly useless, and not worth updating imo; growl on him is more than a fair trade).

Last edited:

___

Oct 8, 2019
Unpopular opinion so we don't get derailed again: I dont think Ruby is just a knock-off Cyber Diva and shes actually kinda okay.
Yeah, I honestly get slightly annoyed when people act like Cyva is a superior version of Ruby. I do think their voices are similar but they both have their own pros and cons, Cyva has better recording quality but isn't very expressive while Ruby's recording quality is worse but she is more expressive and which quality you prioritize is individual.

They probably weren't included because giving people larger control over the vb's tone is V5's main shtick and they want people to actually make use of V5's new features :LOL: I see that as their reasoning but I'm neutral on this matter. Btw, Ken has falsetto option in the attack and release thingy, does VY2 have that or not? Just wondering.

Overcast Immortal

Budding producer
Dec 4, 2018
USA
www.youtube.com
A few users were discussing powerful vocals, and in my opinion, the only Vocaloids capable of singing with serious power are Meiko, Miku, Rin/Len, Kanon, and Cul. I've never found a western VB that can sing powerfully. It's a bit disappointing for me that most Vocaloids and VB's are soft, but I like the soft ones too so I don't complain much.

That said, another unpopular opinion I have in the vocal synth fandom and music scene in general is that powerful singing is not needed in rock. I compose in doom metal where soft singing, powerful singing, screaming, and speech are all common and all often buried under guitars that sound like chainsaws moving at the glacial pace of certain doom, so I never worry about a synth being too soft for my music.

This would probably be a popular opinion on a doom metal board if vocal synths were popular in doom metal, but unfortunately they are not popular there.

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
That's the point. They want you to buy the new editor. They don't want you buying old banks.
That's why Gackpo/Gumi V3 aren't available either anymore, despite Gackpo V4 being a port.

To be honest, that's like....basic business practice. Old versions of other music software aren't available either.

(I agree that VY1's banks should have been preserved, but VY2 Falsetto was never used, nearly useless, and not worth updating imo; growl on him is more than a fair trade).
No, I understand why it's done. I just hate it, as a compulsive collector that wants every bank available for most of my Vocaloids ;;A;;. This is the unpopular opinions thread, after all... :P

They probably weren't included because giving people larger control over the vb's tone is V5's main shtick and they want people to actually make use of V5's new features :LOL: I see that as their reasoning but I'm neutral on this matter. Btw, Ken has falsetto option in the attack and release thingy, does VY2 have that or not? Just wondering.
AFAIK, no! I wanted to answer as truthfully as possible, so I went ahead and ran that 5.4.1 update finally, but V5 updates only come with updates for the 4 standards (and this time it was still just the 5.3.0 updates). So yeah I see Ken's falsetto and all, but VY2 doesn't have one.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA

Completely agree. I have no interest in V5 but I wanted the Cybers. I'm not getting V5 just for them though, so I'll find different vbs to buy.

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
Dunno how unpopular this actually is, but I think older versions of banks shouldn't be discontinued when new ones come out.
I think AHS is the only company that lets you buy their older vocals still despite them all being updated. All of their V2s and V3s are still available on their online store (though no starter packs for the V3s, understandably). I guess Nana's the one exception since AHS didn't distribute her V3 to begin with.

... I had an unpopular opinion coming into this thread, but then I read the posts I missed and lost it orz. I'll come back someday maybe

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Reactions: Leon

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
oh no

I don't think Nana v3 had a physical

If i'm right i'm so sorry
She did, actually! I've seen a handful of people post pictures of their Nana V3 boxes. But I'm cool with digital too, if someone ends up selling part of their collection or something. I ended up getting my Miriam long after she ran out of serials by a kind older gentleman who still had his serial code and installer from ages ago and he sent her to me to test the code out before I paid him and everything :>

--er, to stay on topic! An unpopular opinion... I actually really liked Galaco's original bank! People said it was bad, but I thought the flat and almost emotionless, almost sassy way she spoke was wonderful. I adored her.

StrawberryAce

New Fan
Dec 11, 2019
Luka v4 English Soft is a voicebank that is completely wonderful and gorgeous. I feel like she can mimic different singing styles, like gentle singing or singing with a husky tone. That really sets her apart from all the softer English banks out there.

That said, I still would love to see her original English bank updated because I don't think there's any other Vocaloid capable of singing English that sweetly.

Sep 21, 2019
Len V4 power > Rin V4 Power >>> Miku V4 original or solid.

I know there's a lot of people out there who strongly dislike Len (understandable; he's a unique voice type and he can sound quite bad depending on how he's tuned), but I find him to be a lot more user friendly than most other vocals I've tried. He's more expressive and much less frustrating to use. Miku sounds so flat most of the time. (Why do I always like the flat-sounding and difficult vocals? lol.)

This is just based on Crypton vocals I've actually used. I don't think it would be fair to make judgement off of vocals that I haven't actually touched.

Another opinion is that Mayu is a very versatile vocal and is just as good as any Crypton or Internet Co. vocal. Just don't cover Otome Kaibou or Hibana with her unless you went to pull your hair out in the process.

GreenFantasy64

カイミク || Len English || Arsloid || V5/Piapro
Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
Arsloid is starting to look good in his red pants... :cool::akasakiminato_lili::arsloid_smile_lili:
At the moment also, Daina is sounding pretty nice with Len and maybe Arsloid too.
Avanna seems to be mix into Len when they sing together, and I don't know if because their vocal is kind of close to each other(?) so I don't think they are good together unless they sing separating. :len_lili:

Reactions: Leon and Aia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)