• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
It always give me the feeling that her tongue is stuck, idk
She definitely had that quality in her V1, especially in her higher registers. I think the problem is mitigated by using her in lower registers (and using her V3), but I always thought the "tongue-in-throat" sound was kinda charming, if grating when used incorrectly. I'm with you on LLNF though; there's a V4X cover of it that I think does Luka so much more justice (no disrespect to Samfree, God rest his soul), but Eurobeat's definitely not a genre she was made for.

Reactions: TheStarPalace

Pewe

Aspiring Fan
Dec 7, 2019
Idk if this counts as “unpopular” but I’m pretty sure that if Internet Co. invested more into VOCALOID marketing, GUMI could have pretty much rival Miku when it comes to global popularity (also I would love a Project Diva-esque game with the Internetloids, or at least most of them).

Last edited:

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
Idk if this counts as “unpopular” but I’m pretty sure that if Internet Co. invested more in VOCALOID marketing, GUMI could pretty much rival Miku when it comes to global popularity (also I would love a Project Diva-esque game with the Internetloids, or at least most of them).
I don't think she ever could have passed Miku in Japan, but she definitely had a chance in English; Internet just had some severly underwhelming marketing.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
(also I would love a Project Diva-esque game with the Internetloids, or at least most of them).
There was Megpoid: The Music on PSP (which just featured Gumi), but it didn't kick off a franchise similar to Project DIVA or anything. It would have been cool if it continued and it slowly turned into a Internetloid game in general, like Project DIVA did.

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
Oh boy I’m gonna anger some people with these

-I don’t like the way the Kagamines sound. Rin is slightly more tolerable than Len BUT I don’t like them.
-I LOVE Crusher-P’s music, and not all of her songs are edgy. There’s Sleepless Nights which was released back in March
-Flower doesn’t sound that bad to me
-I don’t get the hype with Fukase and Piko, and their voices sound really nasally to me
-Macne Nana is a really good VocaUTAU
-Boxartists REALLY need to start experimenting with the box art more. Tbh I’ve never really liked the anime art style boxartists use and I wish they’d use cartoony or realistic styles more.
-Dark songs are good songs.
-I think Oliver sounds cute.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Nah, no anger here! That's the glory of this thread: even if we disagree, all of our opinions and feelings are valid, and I think most of us get that.

I agree with the box art thing, honestly. As much as I love the anime style boxes, I would love to see greater variety! Zola Project's was cool, I thought, but maybe not as well-executed as it could have been.

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
I agree with the box art thing, honestly. As much as I love the anime style boxes, I would love to see greater variety! Zola Project's was cool, I thought, but maybe not as well-executed as it could have been.
Yeah! Admittedly, it IS a little bland, but it’s a step in the right direction! Most of my issue with the boxart thing is because not everyone in the Western side of the fandom likes the anime style. I really like cartoony styles and I bet that a lot people who like the art aspect of Vocaloid would appreciate the variety! (This is one reason I like the fact that you can use your own art for an UTAU vb)

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Yeah! Admittedly, it IS a little bland, but it’s a step in the right direction!
My main issue with Zola's boxart was that the original designs for the guys were really sketchy (as in, they looked like concept art sketches, not final art), which was disappointing considering that the artist was Yoshitaka Amano, who is most famous for being the character artist for Final Fantasy.

Speaking of the boxart... I accidentally discovered the boxart for Zola NEO, and it's even more weird than the Windows version:

At least KEI's interpretation of the Zola guys actually looks like final artwork, but I will admit it's not as unique as Amano's.

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
The whole point of the Zola boxart was that it was meant to be a concept that vocaloid fans would reinterpret and expand on. I do think it could have been done better though. :(
Besides, most people just use carnelian's designs anyways.
Unpopular opinion?: I don't like carnelians Zola's designs

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I literally hate every single design of Wil. The only Zola design I truly like is Kyo's Carnelian one because it reminds me of Kamijo from Versailles and he looks cool, fashionable, and intimidating. I don't like how all of the designs for Yuu are really girly and strange (the Carnelian one and Amano one are okayish in terms of color and being the most "solid" character impression compared to most of Kyo/Wil's designs), but why can't Yuu be short, like pink, but also not look like Honey-senpai? orz

I feel like having the sketchy box art is kind of lame, because even for his sketchy art style for Final Fantasy logos, the composition is always amazing, artistic, delicate. But for the Zolas, it looks SO phoned in, Yuu and Wil don't even have shoes (just pants that turn into shoes), a really cool (sarcasm) white background to inspire you to create, really awesome T-shirts and mullets--whoo boy! Nothing screams futuristic software than Dr. Seuss pants and "I'm on my day off" T-shirts by the most iconic RPG artist! I feel like you can't even display the box art if you own it because it's just them standing around uninterestingly. I bet if someone who didn't know much about vocal synths saw their box and you said they were voice banks, they'd probably be like, "Er.... okay???"

The other designs to chose from range from Super Saiyan with tall hair, to budget Walmart bin BL comic main characters, to "How to Draw Manga" bizarre hodge-podge vaguely fantasy clothing. Gosh, typing this literally made my blood pressure go up.

As someone who likes to design alternate outfits for Vocaloids, they are stinking hard to work with. It is SO hard trying to match their really weird color schemes as a unit. They should have all had a limited set of colors (ex: Black, aqua, gold) and not... Wil = aqua, red, greyish brown, grey, black / Yuu = pink, aqua, gold, purpleish grey / Kyo = blue, black, gold (something like that). Somehow when compared to Cryptonloids and VSingers or any duo like Lapis/Merli, they just seem so random, like every designer was very confused.

Sorry for ranting so much. I am, er... passionate about Zola Project. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Sep 21, 2019
-I don’t like the way the Kagamines sound. Rin is slightly more tolerable than Len BUT I don’t like them.
Boxartists REALLY need to start experimenting with the box art more. Tbh I’ve never really liked the anime art style boxartists use and I wish they’d use cartoony or realistic styles more.
Hey, no anger here despite being a Kagamine fan! As much as I like their voices, I can see how they may not appeal to others! (Also, I'm picky about the way they're tuned, so I can understand, lol.)

Also, although I like anime styled boxart, I think there could definitely stand to be more variety. It's all either anime or stock images (and whatever the hell you call Zola project NEO's weird boxart).

- I dislike luka's voice in Luka Luka Night Fever. I adore the song, but I don't think Luka's voice fit's at all. The instrumental sounds so energetic, it doesn't fit luka's calm, kind of, slow talking way. I think some other voices fit the song much better.
Actually, I really agree with this. I had gone back and listened to it again and Luka's singing wasn't as good as I remembered... (no disrespect to Samfree, though. I think it's moreso a Luka thing rather than his tuning.)

Also, I noticed something about Lily and Luka's V2s. For some reason they don't really sound like they're singing? It almost sounds more like they're talking flatly or something. Lily's later updates sound much better, and say you all can say what you want about Luka V4, but she actually sounds like she's singing now.

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
Actually, I really agree with this. I had gone back and listened to it again and Luka's singing wasn't as good as I remembered... (no disrespect to Samfree, though. I think it's moreso a Luka thing rather than his tuning.)

Also, I noticed something about Lily and Luka's V2s. For some reason they don't really sound like they're singing? It almost sounds more like they're talking flatly or something. Lily's later updates sound much better, and say you all can say what you want about Luka V4, but she actually sounds like she's singing now.
To be fair, Luka was literally the best JP vocaloid at the time the song released (it was released shortly after she did).

The talk-sing is a notorious issue with V2- Miku and Big Al especially.

EDIT: Oh, to sort of jump on there, LOTS of early Miku songs (ie Love is War) were HORRIBLE songs for Miku to sing. I mean I get it, there weren't many options at the time, but you know

sunsun-o

Add sunthing ー☆
Jan 22, 2020
Don't know if this is a unpopular opinion, but I reeeeaally like Big Al's demo song (you the one). He sounds sooooo smoooth, I love it. Sure his tuning and voice sound kind of weird, but I love it, it's so charming.

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
Oh yeah, I just thought of some more opinions

-Kasane Teto sounds horrible. Her voice is....ugh, just no
-Akita Neru doesn’t sound good, either
-The Project DIVA game models look weird. I guess it’s because I’m used to the Project Mirai Nendoroid models but still. I don’t like them.

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
I'm the opposite, I've never quite gotten used to Nendroids. I get deformed=cute is a thing but like it just looks off to me

sunsun-o

Add sunthing ー☆
Jan 22, 2020
Me too. I`m so used to playing PD with the humanoid models, that PM models just feel wrong. Some nendoroids can look cute, but the ones with vocaloids always looked off to me. (Mikudayo is cool tho).

Oh yeah, I just thought of some more opinions

-Kasane Teto sounds horrible. Her voice is....ugh, just no
I get what you mean, and I kind of agree. When started to get into UTAU I always thought Teto`s voice was weird, too robotic, barely understandable. But after so many years you kind of start to appreciate more and it becomes more charming. That doesn`t happen with everyone, but it did with me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)