• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
Also...sorta related, but I dislike the voiceroid jp fandom, it's very early vocaloid fandom in the sense that it is limiting and that there is very little creativity outside of boring let's plays and fanarts based on anime cliches.
oh my GOD I could write an essay on why I despise the JP Voiceroid fandom

warning: mentions of nsfw stuff in the spoiler + i am very passionate about this topic orz
My main issue with it is the oversexualization of every female character. I don't mind sexualization in the slightest -- it happens with everything, it's all cool and good when ethical, but JP Voiceroid fandom.... takes it to an extreme no matter who the character is as long as they're female. Tsukuyomi Ai gets this treatment and it's absolutely abhorrent.

It's honestly gotten to the point where you can't look up art of any of them (except maybe Yukari just due to the sheer amount of fanart she has thanks to people drawing her as a Vocaloid) without quickly running into someone's fetish art.

Male Voiceroids? May as well not exist. Kou's doing okay now, but it's been almost three years since his release and he's just barely catching up in numbers with Tsukuyomi Shouta -- who was released almost ten years ago and doesn't even have a thousand videos in his tag.

All of it just really gives Voiceroid a terrible image to anyone on the outside who might want to look into it.

anyway I'm just mostly... annoyed by all this because I love Voiceroid so much and I wish it was more popular in the west. I wish Voiceroid fandom cared more about the characters past their sex appeal.

All this lowkey applies to the speech-capable CeVIO characters too since they get lumped in with Voiceroid all the time.

oh and I get all this exists because the Voiceroid fandom is predominantly male. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

WyndReed

Dareka tasukete!
Apr 8, 2018
???, New York
Just a few opinions that I've been sitting on for a while.
  • Iroha V2's tone is supperior to her V4 bank.(I wish I had purchased V4 before they stopped allowing V2 imports. Iroha is my all time favorite vocaloid and yet I'm not sure if I want to purchase her newest banks)
  • Yamaha should have kept up trial versions for their vocaloids.
  • I want to support the Western producers, but I feel like I can't relate to their music or maybe it's that a lot of it sounds generic or samey to me. I don't really know.
  • Rin's VBs are much more flexible than Len's. I don't understand why he has such popularity when his banks aren't all that great.
I think that's it.

violethaze

Aspiring Fan
Apr 11, 2018
Chile
oh my GOD I could write an essay on why I despise the JP Voiceroid fandom

warning: mentions of nsfw stuff in the spoiler + i am very passionate about this topic orz
My main issue with it is the oversexualization of every female character. I don't mind sexualization in the slightest -- it happens with everything, it's all cool and good when ethical, but JP Voiceroid fandom.... takes it to an extreme no matter who the character is as long as they're female. Tsukuyomi Ai gets this treatment and it's absolutely abhorrent.

It's honestly gotten to the point where you can't look up art of any of them (except maybe Yukari just due to the sheer amount of fanart she has thanks to people drawing her as a Vocaloid) without quickly running into someone's fetish art.

Male Voiceroids? May as well not exist. Kou's doing okay now, but it's been almost three years since his release and he's just barely catching up in numbers with Tsukuyomi Shouta -- who was released almost ten years ago and doesn't even have a thousand videos in his tag.

All of it just really gives Voiceroid a terrible image to anyone on the outside who might want to look into it.

anyway I'm just mostly... annoyed by all this because I love Voiceroid so much and I wish it was more popular in the west. I wish Voiceroid fandom cared more about the characters past their sex appeal.

All this lowkey applies to the speech-capable CeVIO characters too since they get lumped in with Voiceroid all the time.

oh and I get all this exists because the Voiceroid fandom is predominantly male. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
Yeah I just hate a lot of the art I see on Pixiv as well, it's just not very diverse like the way mainly Vocaloid only character fanarts are. You see the same mainstream moebait style everywhere and you're lucky if you run into an artist that doesn't heavily fetishize all the girls that are cevios and voiceroids. It's very disappointing and I would want to see some change....alas.

And yeah I'm upset about the lack of popularity over male voiceroids and male cevios too, it's even worse for them than actual male Vocaloids. I'm lucky if I ever see Kou or Minato fanart like at all.

Those synths are honestly in the stage where a lot of shitty eromanga artists are jumping onto the bandwagon just like the early vocaloid days, just needs time to weed out the opportunist artists they are tbh.

....Also, I think the Vocaloid rankings are a social construct, it loses all credibility when over 4 nayutan songs remain on it for months, as well as Omoi songs, Sand planet, ghost rule, orangestar and so on. I may sound mean, but I think they need to be cut off from the rankings like Senbonzakura did.

Mika

crying over Rune Factory 6
Jul 5, 2018
Germany
- Mayu is a very good Vocaloid and deserves more popularity and an update: an essay.
Since Mayu came out people seemed to look more at her marketing than at her actual voicebank. People either dislike her or like her just based on the fact that she is "the yandere vocaloid". I'm sorry but that is so much bullshit. That persona was only made so that people have an easier time with lyrics and settings for songs but that doesn't mean that every friggin Mayu song has to be about that. It annoys me so much. I've actually seen people say that they do not like Mayu because she isn't powerful enough for a yandere. Do you see the problem here? They cannot see her voice alone, they always have to put it together with her marketing. And I hate it so much. Mayu has a really versatile voice and can sing so many different genres very fittingly. And also, it's way easier to get her more powerful than soft. That's why I think an update with an additional soft bank would make her a VERY good Vocaloid.

To prove my point: why is mayu so underrated - Clyp
- Gachapoid and Nemu are both good vocals and their "froggy" sound may be weird when used in the wrong genre, but because of that weird sound in their voice they can be way more emotional sounding than other Vocaloids. Maybe that's because their "froggyness" keeps them from sounding very flat.
- Miku V2 Solid and Dark are the best Miku Voicebanks in my opinion, period.
- I like Avanna a lot and I wish she also had a power voicebank because then she would be something we desperatly need as an english Vocaloid: A low and powerfull not nasally female voice.

Satinather

#Germanoid
Apr 8, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
Okay, I'll hop onto this as well~

• LUMi is the most realistic and easiest to tune Vocaloid so far
  • every Vocaloid can be used for every genre technically - the problem is just that some songs are too fast/slow for specific Vocaloids
  • it's cool and clearer to have the Parameters below the events in the VOCALOID editor
  • the box art of ZOLA project isn't ugly, y'all are just mean
  • the phonetic system of VOCALOID is weird
  • "I wanted to test it out" is no excuse to use Pocaloid
  • Mirai is super cute actually, y'all just mean (I understand that she's just another Idol voice though... but I love her)
  • V2 had the most useful voicebanks because of the many different voice types
  • even though VOCALOID's just a software it's not just a software
  • Vocaloids without any realism to their voice are aesthetic
  • it's good that Miku is so super popular because wouldn't it be like this, I wouldn't know Vocaloid in the first place
Yay. :D

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Okay, I'll hop onto this as well~
  • the box art of ZOLA project isn't ugly, y'all are just mean
I don't think it's ugly, I am just disappointed. I thought if the art's by Yoshitaka Amano, it's gonna be like, hand stand on the edge of the Grand Canyon cool, but it looks plain. The Zola guys are just wearing T-shirts and have pants that blend with their shoes on a blinding white background and are literally standing there. Where's the pizazz? The whispy poses? The Final Fantasy-esque belts? Why wasn't it designed like a fancy logo at least? One glance at Yoshitaka Amano's Google page blows your socks off, but the Zola cover looks phoned in. :kaito_lili:

Satinather

#Germanoid
Apr 8, 2018
Germany
www.youtube.com
I don't think it's ugly, I am just disappointed. I thought if the art's by Yoshitaka Amano, it's gonna be like, hand stand on the edge of the Grand Canyon cool, but it looks plain. The Zola guys are just wearing T-shirts and have pants that blend with their shoes on a blinding white background and are literally standing there. Where's the pizazz? The whispy poses? The Final Fantasy-esque belts? Why wasn't it designed like a fancy logo at least? One glance at Yoshitaka Amano's Google page blows your socks off, but the Zola cover looks phoned in. :kaito_lili:
Ahhh I understand that, I like the style anyway though ;;

Reactions: Elsa12TMNT

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
I just think Wil's legs look broken

I hate hate HATE it when people tune legit male vocals like they're Len. Yuu and Yohioloid are probably the biggest offenders.

Like?? They aren't designed to sing there?? That's why they sound like a cat dying??They're voiced by men, and Len isn't?? Stop this!

Mika

crying over Rune Factory 6
Jul 5, 2018
Germany
I hate hate HATE it when people tune legit male vocals like they're Len. Yuu and Yohioloid are probably the biggest offenders.

Like?? They aren't designed to sing there?? That's why they sound like a cat dying??They're voiced by men, and Len isn't?? Stop this!
Don't worry, you are not alone! I hate it too but I feel like the girls have it even worse. Almost everyone is used so high that they are dying and just a few can actually pull it off. Poor IA and Flower always have to screech. It hurts them, it hurts me, god people pls stop it.

Last edited:

RawBeansP

feng yi supremacy
Apr 8, 2018
elsewhere looking for oarfish
-I like Kaori more than Ken (I do really like Ken tho) and I wish more ppl would stan her like they do Ken. She's kinda like what Lumi probably should've been minus the whole Len sound thing
-I like Chris more than Amy and it's kinda a shame that no one has really been using him bc he's actually a really different Engloid
-While I like Amy I still feel kinda Meh with her, like every use with her has been a hit or a miss
-Amy is better than Ruby tho
-I do not like Sora's natural or voiceroid designs. I don't hate them but I feel very Meh about them. Cool is awesome tho lol

Nevizzo

New Fan
Jul 3, 2018
I think we should have a GTA version where it is all just Vocaloids being all angsty and whiny. Prefering the Engloids are the main characters you play as, meanwhile the Japanese Vocaloids are the enemies (In general.) Then, we'll bump into the other languages of the Vocaloids while the plot thickens.

Reactions: SpaceGhost152

Fukase

Fukase and Engloid Artist/User
Apr 8, 2018
*I usually shrug off a Japanese Vocaloid's release in comparison to an English Vocaloid's release.
*I think there are too many Japanese Vocaloids as it is.
*Even if I like Miku, I don't think she's the best Vocaloid.

ramencup

trashlord of the shadow realm
Apr 11, 2018
my room
Less of an unpopular opinion than a question, why do you think so many Oliver users are terrible at mixing and (if even applicable) mastering?
There are certainly good Oliver covers out there, but I'm pretty sure everybody's noticed a pattern of Oliver covers made with plug&play VSQs and super wet, quiet mixes that are either barely heard over the instrumental or are way too loud to the point of clipping.
I don't even hate Oliver, I actually own him.

Reactions: Elsa12TMNT

Lille

Aspiring Fan
May 3, 2018
Less of an unpopular opinion than a question, why do you think so many Oliver users are terrible at mixing and (if even applicable) mastering?
There are certainly good Oliver covers out there, but I'm pretty sure everybody's noticed a pattern of Oliver covers made with plug&play VSQs and super wet, quiet mixes that are either barely heard over the instrumental or are way too loud to the point of clipping.
I don't even hate Oliver, I actually own him.
If I were to guess, it's probably 'cause the fanbase, not the users, that bought/"got" him the most. What you get is an overload of people who like him enough to have him, but does not know how to use it, having no interest/curiosity in the technical aspects to make it sound good. Adding to that, his voice isn't really a fit-all nor is it easy to tune, which complicates things heh. Oliver takes dedication, and to the people who mostly like just his character, they've dedicated themselves when they acquired him... they just wanted to hear his voice and then jump it into the instrumental without much thought. So if they don't have a deliberate purpose with him, hearing him and knowing he's in a song is quite enough. It takes a challenging purpose to do something better. :oliver_lili:

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
If I were to guess, it's probably 'cause the fanbase, not the users, that bought/"got" him the most. What you get is an overload of people who like him enough to have him, but does not know how to use it, having no interest/curiosity in the technical aspects to make it sound good. Adding to that, his voice isn't really a fit-all nor is it easy to tune, which complicates things heh. Oliver takes dedication, and to the people who mostly like just his character, they've dedicated themselves when they acquired him... they just wanted to hear his voice and then jump it into the instrumental without much thought. So if they don't have a deliberate purpose with him, hearing him and knowing he's in a song is quite enough. It takes a challenging purpose to do something better. :oliver_lili:
So, Oliver is kind of a Sonika 2.0? (Granted, he's a lot better than her, but same effect)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)