• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

1-) Circus-P's newer stuff sound too... generic to me? Not bad at all! But generic. It's kind of weird, but his recent songs could play at any "FM"s that plays stuff like pop anytime and It would blend in quite nicely...I think in the past, he was more experimental. As far as I know he was learning to compose back then so that's probably came with it. I can't really say what genre is his music, but I know he likes Electronic Dance Music, and probably is his inspiration/aspiration but since EDM itself is an umbrella term his inspirations/aspirations are kind of blurry too... For me It felt like he produced "disco" back then, and the biggest example of this would be "Repeat I | II", but nowadays it feels like a mix of trance, techno, and ambience, with a hint of pop sometimes. I'm kind of worried about him also if he's experiencing a burn-out too, especially since he's started to take commissions. I hope, at the very least, he's satisfied that he's closer to his inspirations/aspirations and that he's OK..
THANK YOU, SOMEBODY ELSE UNDERSTANDS. I felt like the only person that realized that.

Jun 3, 2018
@Iris Hunter

Also, Gumi being popular isn't anything new... she's been the #2 vocaloid for ages.
Yeah, she's been one for a long time indeed. Weird thing for me is, she just wasn't as popular when she was released for V2. I think after 2010's she gained significant popularity, especially after her V3 release. She even managed to star in Project Mirai alongside the Crypton gang, as well as having her own PSP game. It just feels surreal to me. She isn't a bad Vocaloid at all, I just wonder why people use her all the time. Especially her English voicebank, which is noted to be difficult to work with.

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
Yeah, she's been one for a long time indeed. Weird thing for me is, she just wasn't as popular when she was released for V2. I think after 2010's she gained significant popularity, especially after her V3 release. She even managed to star in Project Mirai alongside the Crypton gang, as well as having her own PSP game. It just feels surreal to me. She isn't a bad Vocaloid at all, I just wonder why people use her all the time. Especially her English voicebank, which is noted to be difficult to work with.
From what I understand, she became more popular once DECO*27 started using her (which was in 2010, nail on the head). Being an earlier vocaloid probably gave her a popularity advantage (like the Kagamines, who were really LQ for a long time. Like Sonika level bad).

For the record, while her English is hard to work with and I also think it's overrated, it gives some of the better results as far as non-native vocals go. The fault for her being hard to use is on the programmers side; Megumi Nakajima's English is supposed to be fantastic.

Edit: While I'm thinking about it, I see lots of people surprised that Dex and Daina are popular. The fact that they're cheap, good for most genres, and noted for being very easy to use probably has a lot to do with it.

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Edit: While I'm thinking about it, I see lots of people surprised that Dex and Daina are popular. The fact that they're cheap, good for most genres, and noted for being very easy to use probably has a lot to do with it.
I'll pop in and say Dex is pretty easy to use. Personally (don't know how unpopular this is), Daina is a nightmare, her pronunciation is really bad, especially her twang and vowels in general. I think I have a harder time with her than Gumi English sometimes, especially given I don't think Daina has good range while Gumi does. Though I guess Daina technically isn't that popular, given Dex and Avanna seem to be the only best selling Zero-G Vocaloids.

I'll throw in another opinion and say I really like Miku V3 English, it's kinda refreshing to have a more mature/almost solemn tone. I think she's fun to work with and I kinda like her better than V4. Just depends on the song really

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I don't think Megpoid ENG is understandable at all. I don't dislike her or think she's a bad voicebank, but people praise her as being one of- if not the most- understandable engloids and I can barely ever understand a word she's singing.

Reactions: GreenFantasy64

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
I'll pop in and say Dex is pretty easy to use. Personally (don't know how unpopular this is), Daina is a nightmare, her pronunciation is really bad, especially her twang and vowels in general. I think I have a harder time with her than Gumi English sometimes, especially given I don't think Daina has good range while Gumi does. Though I guess Daina technically isn't that popular, given Dex and Avanna seem to be the only best selling Zero-G Vocaloids.

I'll throw in another opinion and say I really like Miku V3 English, it's kinda refreshing to have a more mature/almost solemn tone. I think she's fun to work with and I kinda like her better than V4. Just depends on the song really
I have heard Dex is easier than Daina, but most people seem to think she's decent. Also, while she doesn't sell quite as well as the other two, she still usually makes their top ten so.

I like V3 Miku's tone, but not anything else about her.

Also, for a new opinion-
Internet Co. isn't a very good vocaloid company. They don't promote their vocals, lazy updates, unnecessary Gumi vbs... the whole Una thing....

Voctro, on the other hand, didn't really do anything wrong except letting that one jerk promote - they tried really hard to promote their vocals, ran contests to get people using their vocals... I just feel bad that they didn't do well.

I don't care about IA.

CallmeNerdy

A Miku Nerd
Apr 17, 2018
Hogwarts
Another opinion of mine is that, I don't get the IA craze... Sure, her Voice Provider's a pretty well known singer, and can do a lot of genres (But we have VY1)... But I just really think her voice is a bit too flat. Or maybe I just don't care much about the more realistic vocaloids.

And about Gumi... I like her voice, I really do. But I think that sometimes she sounds a bit too raspy/breathy for me... Another thing is that I don't like her Extend VBs (I think they're too similar sometimes), and I think it's a bit unfair that she gets 10 Voicebanks (+ an English Vocal) while Gakupo only has 2 Extend VBs and not even an English Voicebank. And am I the only one who feels a bit 'meh' on Gumi English? It's too raspy for me to understand and too choppy for me to work with. I'd personally prefer Miku V3 English over it.

And if we're talking about underrated Vocaloids, then what the heck about ZOLA Project? I really like their voice types, but not many people seem to be using them...

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I've come with more unpopular opinions to throw on people

- Sometimes I think Luka and Yukari sound way too similar but even though Luka was first, I like Yukari's design more so
- I really like IA English but I hope IA gets a new design that varies more than IA vs IA ROCKS bc her design does not fit the voice/seemingly targeted genres at all for me
((Also side note: I find it weird she's IA English C, like just a weird stylistic choice to remind us she's CeVIO but also unintentionally give hopes of IA English V? It's just weird and I hope her release just says IA English without the C))
- I can't ever decide how much I love CeVIO...it depends so much on tuning but I still like Vocaloid more for certain (is this unpopular?)
- I wish Galaco was more popular because I love using her plus Galaco Talk is a blessing
- I don't mind similar sounding voices. I think it actually helps me because sometimes I like a voice but the character is too much a deal breaker (for licenses, design, ehatever) so you have options for what you want
- I don't really care if Vocaloid ever gets vocal fry

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
I've written and rewritten this post so many times I may as well finally do it orz

- I absolutely can not stand the way CeVIO sounds and IA English does nothing to make me change my mind on that. I'm not disappointed that she moved to a different engine, I just... strongly dislike CeVIO itself and I hate the fuzzy engine noise it has. It's a shame because I genuinely like Sasara's and ONE's voices, but I can't even listen to either of them for more than five minutes before I get a headache.
- I don't really get how people can genuinely hate any Vocaloids? Most don't have official personalities and if they do most people just ignore them, so if you HC them with a personality that makes you hate them... why?? I understand disliking voices and designs -- I have my fair share of those too -- but just. I can't bring myself to actively hate any of them since it's so easy to just not listen to the ones I don't like. They're just... there.
- kiyoteru deserved better
- I think it's really cool that there are a lot of up-and-coming Western Vocaloid producers, but... I'm not going to lie -- the only ones who seem to get any attention at all are the ones who make songs similar to that of GHOST. I'm personally not a GHOST fan at all and I don't like their style, so seeing people who make those types of songs the only ones gaining any attention is just... a bit disappointing. And it's really demotivating too, to other producers who try to make things in a different style or genre. I wish people would give others a chance too, is what I'm trying to say, since I think the western fandom has a terrible case of just following the leader.
- The Chinese Vocaloids all have wonderful designs and I like most of their voices, but I just can't manage to get myself into them more which is disappointing (and not their fault at all, I do realize it's just my issue)

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
-I keep seeing comments that are like "IA Eng destroyed every native english vocal" and... no. She's really good, but she's not that good.

-CeVIO is better than other vocal synths, but it's not anywhere near as good as Vocaloid and UTAU yet.

-I keep seeing people being like "Circus doesn't have creativity anymore" but like people have been saying that since forever so.... doesn't carry much weight.

-I really like Dex and Daina.

BenHo

Aspiring Fan
Apr 8, 2018
-I keep seeing people being like "Circus doesn't have creativity anymore" but like people have been saying that since forever so.... doesn't carry much weight.
Yeah, when he first started getting popular people said all his songs sounded the same so I don't really get how he "lost what he used to have" when people were saying he never had it in the first place. For my money, while his sound has definitely changed, I still enjoy his stuff.

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I love IA English C, truly I do, and I plan to buy her someday, but like...I don't think she's so amazing that all Engloids can be thrown away and called shitty and use her as basically "the trairor overpassing Yamaha and destroying English Vocaloids forever" or whatever else everyone keeps saying. She has her issues too and what she gains, Vocaloid lacks, but what what she lacks, Vocaloid seems to gain.

I also think people are just too much for me on this. Especially with SynthV coming, which I honestly don't like it that much, I hear nothing but English Vocaloids are gonna be murdered or Yamaha better step up their game or whatever. Every engine has its issues, every voice has its issues.

Maybe I'm just biased because Vocaloid is my favorite voice synth and Avanna is my favorite Vocaloid, or maybe I'm just a reasonable person that doesn't like shjtfing on a company because I like a product of the same type from another company more. Thjs is kinda to a point where anytime I see something hating on Vocaloid/Yamaha/Engloids because of IA English or SynthV, I feel bad and like it's wrong to like Vocaloid—similar to how big it used to be, and still kinda is, for me to feel weird liking Miku and always seeing shit on her just because she's popular...but I'm a very sensitive person as well.

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
I love IA English C, truly I do, and I plan to buy her someday, but like...I don't think she's so amazing that all Engloids can be thrown away and called shitty and use her as basically "the trairor overpassing Yamaha and destroying English Vocaloids forever" or whatever else everyone keeps saying. She has her issues too and what she gains, Vocaloid lacks, but what what she lacks, Vocaloid seems to gain.

I also think people are just too much for me on this. Especially with SynthV coming, which I honestly don't like it that much, I hear nothing but English Vocaloids are gonna be murdered or Yamaha better step up their game or whatever. Every engine has its issues, every voice has its issues.

Maybe I'm just biased because Vocaloid is my favorite voice synth and Avanna is my favorite Vocaloid, or maybe I'm just a reasonable person that doesn't like shjtfing on a company because I like a product of the same type from another company more. Thjs is kinda to a point where anytime I see something hating on Vocaloid/Yamaha/Engloids because of IA English or SynthV, I feel bad and like it's wrong to like Vocaloid—similar to how big it used to be, and still kinda is, for me to feel weird liking Miku and always seeing shit on her just because she's popular...but I'm a very sensitive person as well.
I feel this a lot. I think it's fine to like new and upcoming synths, and even prefer it over Vocaloid if you will, but like... you don't have to go around saying Vocaloid is dead and Yamaha better step it up, or whatever.

This is an issue even within just the Vocaloid fandom itself -- any new Engloid in particular has to kill all the others, any new HQ smooth Vocaloid makes the others obsolete... yawn.

Just like what you like. No one cares.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018

I like IA English, and I understand what you mean. Other Engloids can do things IA can't, either because of what type of voice they are or the differences between the Vocaloid and CeVIO (or even UTAU, etc.) engines. The "killer app" Engloid thing is getting old and fans get disappointed whenever they spot a flaw with an English bank, even though pretty much all Vocaloids and voicebanks on other engines have different issues.

Kona

Avanna's #1 Fan
Apr 8, 2018
USA
I like IA English, and I understand what you mean. Other Engloids can do things IA can't, either because of what type of voice they are or the differences between the Vocaloid and CeVIO (or even UTAU, etc.) engines. The "killer app" Engloid thing is getting old and fans get disappointed whenever they spot a flaw with an English bank, even though pretty much all Vocaloids and voicebanks on other engines have different issues.
My thing too is at least what I've been seeing with IA English, quite a few people ignore she has issues at alland think she's this absolutely perfect English voicebank. Every voicebank has issues and you have to acknowledge them ibstead of pointing out the flaws in other voicebanks of the same language so she is "clearly superior"
I've seen a lot of people report she has pronunciation issues, transition issues, timing isssues, whatever may be the issue with her, but also a large amount of people ignoring it and calling her perfect and lashing out at Vocaloid. It seems like nowadays, I see people nitpicking anything fir English Vocaloid and just looking for a reason for it to be hatedcor have issues, but if it's another synth, it's absolutely perfect and gonna kill Vocaloid and no one talks about the flaws

Tl;dr every voicebank has flaws and it's stupid to ignore them on IA just because it's a synth not Vocaloid. She's not perfect and even if you abandon Engloids for her, you can't throw shit at Vocaloid and say everyone will

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)