• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Resource Vocal Synth Voice Characteristics

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
He can, for sure. It's worst in his high notes, but it's almost always present, though not particularly off-putting. He's very quiet, so trying to make him louder also increases engine noise.

Reactions: ___

inactive

Passionate Fan
Jun 27, 2019
Do you know of any noise removal plugins that are cheaper or free? I'd never thought of using a plugin!
I could've sworn that you once stated that you use FL Studio. If so, Edison can do noise removal, which is included in all bundles except the cheapest. If you have the cheapest FL Studio bundle, then Audacity can also do noise removal.

For what it's worth, in my current project I'm removing the high frequency nastiness from SynthV's 闇音レンリ with the help of TDR Nova, a free dynamic EQ plugin. I prefer its results versus noise removal techniques.

___

Oct 8, 2019
He can, for sure. It's worst in his high notes, but it's almost always present, though not particularly off-putting. He's very quiet, so trying to make him louder also increases engine noise.
Makes sense, I don't own any vocaloid that's particularly quiet/soft but in UTAU I noticed that soft voicebanks especially have issues with strong engine noise...probably because they're more breathy.

I'm guessing it's because the editor tries to find the pitch in the recording and since breath is white noise and it can't really find a pitch there so it turns it into this buzzy noise causing the VB to have strong engine noise. That's what I'm guessing after rading up this old post about breaths in UTAU ( which reminds me how thankful I am for moresampler...now I can just use the u flag on breaths ).

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
I made a comparison

original then filter

Z noise finds the noise in the audio without a sample if you want I can make a sample of his noise profile to use with other software

Reactions: ___ and peaches2217
Sep 21, 2019
This is very useful information! I'll have to try it on some banks that have noticeable engine noise!

Also, thank you @patuk for sharing that information about UTAU's breaths! I always wondered why Teto's breaths were so metallic, and now I understand why.

Reactions: TheStarPalace

inactive

Passionate Fan
Jun 27, 2019
Z noise finds the noise in the audio without a sample if you want I can make a sample of his noise profile to use with other software
Cool. I had no idea there was an affordable noise reducer that didn't need a noise profile. Thanks for the heads up. Z-Noise certainly did an excellent job of kicking 闇音レンリ's high frequency nastiness out into the cold city streets where it belongs.

(Although there still remains one resonant band that needs a manual tweak. Oh well. Can't win them all.)

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
Cool. I had no idea there was an affordable noise reducer that didn't need a noise profile. Thanks for the heads up. Z-Noise certainly did an excellent job of kicking 闇音レンリ's high frequency nastiness out into the cold city streets where it belongs.

(Although there still remains one resonant band that needs a manual tweak. Oh well. Can't win them all.)

I actually use adaptive and it works well

inactive

Passionate Fan
Jun 27, 2019
I actually use adaptive and it works well
The problematic resonance has nothing to do with noise, and therefore Z-noise won't remove/reduce it, regardless of settings. It's just a nasty quirk in the upper notes of 闇音レンリ's voice database.

___

Oct 8, 2019
Maybe we should add info about the difficulty of voicebanks to let people know what they're potentially getting themselves into. What do you think?

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
How would you classify "difficulty". I think we might want to rate them on things like pronunciation or pitch or how hard to mix because most vocaloids are difficult for different reasons

___

Oct 8, 2019
Well, each vocaloid can be difficult to use for various reasons as you said, their difficulty level should probably depend on how severe their problems are and whether it's easy to work around the problem or not.

And I should mention. There of course are obvious beginner friendly vocaloids and obvious difficult vocaloids but some kind of fall in the middle, like most AHS vocaloids I'd say.

Reactions: peaches2217
Sep 21, 2019
Maybe we should add info about the difficulty of voicebanks to let people know what they're potentially getting themselves into. What do you think?
Yes! That would help a lot of people, I'm sure!

How would you classify "difficulty". I think we might want to rate them on things like pronunciation or pitch or how hard to mix because most vocaloids are difficult for different reasons
I agree with this. Maybe we could list a few areas that voicebanks have issues with. Like, one voicebank might be easy to tune, but difficult to mix.
Well, each vocaloid can be difficult to use for various reasons as you said, their difficulty level should probably depend on how severe their problems are and whether it's easy to work around the problem or not.

And I should mention. There of course are obvious beginner friendly vocaloids and obvious difficult vocaloids but some kind of fall in the middle, like most AHS vocaloids I'd say.
I agree. Like, a good example of a Voicebanks that would be more difficult than others and require more work would be Rin/Len ACT1 since they're apparently choppy and Rin has issues pronouncing her consonants. So... I think areas of difficulty should be noted for sure.

Reactions: ___

___

Oct 8, 2019
Hm, maybe we should start with the obvious ones like Sonika? I know there is archived thread from VO talking about fixing Sonika so maybe it would be a good idea to put some of their advices here to make the information more accessible.

Also @Prism I believe you own Sonika right? Maybe you have some advices :sonika_ani_lili: ??

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion
Sep 21, 2019
Hm, maybe we should start with the obvious ones like Sonika? I know there is archived thread from VO talking about fixing Sonika so maybe it would be a good idea to put some of their advices here to make the information more accessible.
That's an excellent idea! Especially since the archived VO posts won't show up in search results, but stuff on VVN will. Speaking of VO, if I have some time, I may take a look through the archives and see if there's any information that can be put here. ^^

Reactions: ___ and peaches2217

Vegetaljuce

Gumi English Geek
Speaking of engloids I remembered that @Vegetaljuce made a guide for Gumi english. Maybe we should link to it too.
Ah, yes, thanks for mentioning it! Although, as an fyi to anyone interested, it's still a work in progress.

If anyone just wants a summary of Gumi English's strengths and weaknesses, here's what I'd say:

• She is easy to mix
  • She has a slight accent, but with tweaks is capable of sounding very close to a native English speaker.
  • She has many broken/ wonky transitions. For this reason, I would not recommend her to anyone who isn't interested in putting a decent amount of time into editing phonetics, because without this she tends to sound very clunky.
  • Not a good beginner English bank, because she requires extensive knowledge of Vocaloid's English phoneme list in order to perform the needed workarounds.
  • I'd give her an overall difficulty rating of 8/10 (10 being the hardest), due to her transition issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)