• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Resource Vocal Synth Voice Characteristics

Sep 21, 2019
Spilling some tea on Kagamine ACT1 and the rest of Crypton's V2s (barring Kagamine ACT2 and as well as the append voicebanks) here.

All of Crypton's V2s suffer from random drops in volume, but Len's ACT1 vb gets it the worst. The best way to fix it (that I've found) is to adjust the dynamics where you hear the volume drop until it's less noticeable (adjusting the brightness helps, too). Luka is very quiet and will need to have both her brightness and dynamics adjusted before you really hear her well.

Rin's ACT1 is surprisingly smooth; about as smooth as a decently OTO'd and tuned CV UTAU for comparison. However, she has issues transitioning between "a" and "i" samples (ex: "hai" sounds like "ha i" rather than "hai") and can be quiet and muffled at times; increasing her brightness, dynamics, and clarity while also decreasing her gen parameter slightly helps. I haven't tested any fixes for vowel connection yet. She also sounds a bit stuffy nosed sometimes. She has a hard time holding long notes sometimes, but works quite well for songs with a lot of short notes. She also handles tempos outside her recommended range quite well (I had her singing at 229 BPM and she handled it very well; she sounded better than in any of my other tests.).

For an example of how she sounds, here's a test cover a Patchwork Staccato I did:

Len is choppy due to his vowels cutting off, mainly on his "a"s. I haven't tested a lot of fixes, but splitting the note and adding "-" to new notes seems to help.

More to come soon. :P

Reactions: peaches2217

static-oceans

I feel so high in the blue, blue sky
Dec 2, 2019
While we're talking about crypton v2s, I'll mention what I've learned so far working with luka eng v2.

I am a fan of her pronunciation and tone. I find her accent much less notable than her v4 english (i don't have v4 eng though), so for me, at least, getting her to sound understandable isn't too much work compared to others. She is pretty choppy in general, and that does take a bit of tuning and phoneme editing to fix. she has some broken transitions that I've run into as well, mostly between vowels.

___

Oct 8, 2019
Dunno how helpful this is but Ken and Kaori are really quiet in editor compared to most vocaloids....probably something to keep in mind when mixing them as they can otherwise be really easily drowned out by most vocaloids lol.

Sep 21, 2019
While we're talking about crypton v2s, I'll mention what I've learned so far working with luka eng v2.

I am a fan of her pronunciation and tone. I find her accent much less notable than her v4 english (i don't have v4 eng though), so for me, at least, getting her to sound understandable isn't too much work compared to others. She is pretty choppy in general, and that does take a bit of tuning and phoneme editing to fix. she has some broken transitions that I've run into as well, mostly between vowels.
Dunno how helpful this is but Ken and Kaori are really quiet in editor compared to most vocaloids....probably something to keep in mind when mixing them as they can otherwise be really easily drowned out by most vocaloids lol.
I and @peaches2217 noticed that AHS' V2-->V4s are choppier and more robotic than their V3-V4s, Yuki especially has it bad and the newly recorded voicebanks ( Kiyoteru Rock and Iroha Soft ) produce smoother results.
I just realized I never replied to these, oops! Thank you both for the information. I'll add it to the OP a little later! ^^

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
Actually I'll spoil this since it isn't really on topic to the thread, more just an explanation orz

I and @peaches2217 noticed that AHS' V2-->V4s are choppier and more robotic than their V3-V4s, Yuki especially has it bad and the newly recorded voicebanks ( Kiyoteru Rock and Iroha Soft ) produce smoother results.
That's because all the V2->V4s are ports with no new samples (except growl if you really want to count that, though Yuki/Miki's growl sample isn't by their VPs). Iirc triphones were added in V3, so none of the V2s have them, which is why they're choppier.

All of AHS' Natural banks (except Kiyoteru, whose Natural was rerecorded from the ground up and does not use any V2 recordings, and Sora) are ports of their original banks. (Though I guess you could argue Sora Natural is the original bank for her, but as she has no previous versions, it is what it is, haha)

___

Oct 8, 2019
That's because all the V2->V4s are ports with no new samples (except growl if you really want to count that, though Yuki/Miki's growl sample isn't by their VPs). Iirc triphones were added in V3, so none of the V2s have them, which is why they're choppier.
Yeah I know theyre ports but as far as I know triphones can be added even from the original V2 recordings. So I'm pretty sure Iroha, Kiyoteru, Yuki and Miki have them in V4

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
For the crypton's volume thing I don't know but a vocal rider might help I use one to fix prima's weird volume thing where here pitches are different volumes

Reactions: Scarlet Illusion

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
It's worth noting that I believe triphones were ADDED when they were ported- from my understanding, unlike GWL they don't require new recordings.

Also, Iroha V4 Natural may or may not have been rerecorded- they've never stated either way.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Another note about Rin ACT1: Her [k]s are muted, so they sound more like [g]s.

This is also noted on the wiki, but her [t a]s tend to loop midway through on longer notes; you can fix this by breaking it into two different notes, the first one very short (either [t a] [a] or [t a h\ a] [a]; use the latter if the transition sounds too choppy).

Sep 21, 2019
Hoo, boy!! I have a lot of updating to do, don't I? Thank you everyone for sharing information, and I'm sorry for not updating like I should be! XD

Sep 21, 2019
Finished updating! Also, question for you all: do you think it'd be better if I moved all the information into a public google doc where things can more easily be sorted by heading? I feel like it'd probably look tidier and make things easier to find, but maybe that's just me. :O
(I might consider opening the Google doc to public input so others can add their information themselves...)

Reactions: Krin

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
I also agree with the above, that way many of us could help out and share our experiences working with each voice. i'd be willing to help out a bit on the UTAU side as i've had experience with a lot of UTAU vbs^^

Sep 21, 2019
Alright! I've figured out some workarounds for Len act1's tendency to quit signing a note randomly. Just split close to the beginning of the note and he'll sound a lot smoother. (Currently I'm having issues with him not transitioning between [ts M] and [M] very well, though, so this solution is not a cure all, lol.)

Also, as far as moving things to a Google doc, I probably won't get to it today, but I'll see about trying to do it tomorrow.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Currently I'm having issues with him not transitioning between [ts M] and [M] very well
Have you tried [ts M h\ M] [M]? The [h\] phoneme is how I smoothed all of Rin's vowels out! (Though if you're using it to connect two different vowels, you might need to mess around with the note lengths, as the first note will sound off early.)

• Wow
Sep 21, 2019
Have you tried [ts M h\ M] [M]? The [h\] phoneme is how I smoothed all of Rin's vowels out! (Though if you're using it to connect two different vowels, you might need to mess around with the note lengths, as the first note will sound off early.)
I just tried what you said... sadly it doesn't seem to smooth his vowels out. (I guess Len will be a problem child, lol.)
Thank you, though!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)