• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID Why do you think so many producers (sometimes exclusively) use Hatsune Miku?

Ibis

Did someone say UTAU?
Jul 7, 2022
the time out corner
Here are some of my theories:
1. They just genuinely like Hatsune Miku. I mean, if they're the most popular Vocaloid, there's got to be a fanbase somewhere, right? If given the option, who wouldn't want to use their favorite every time? Still, I feel like it it were just up to favorites, there would be a lot of different voicebanks in songs out there.

2. Using Hatsune Miku gives the producer a greater shot of their music being listened to. Miku has a huge fanbase of course, so people are going to be looking for songs that use her. There will be more people typing Hatsune Miku into their search bars than someone like V-flower.

3. They aren't too concerned with what voicebank they are using, they just need someone TO sing. Some Vocaloid producers aren't part of the bigger fandom, and only need a voice to sing their songs. In this case, Miku may seem like a default bank for them. Everybody knows her, her voicebank is usually flexible enough (seriously, I've heard Miku screamo), and they have a character they can draw if they want to. There are even a lot of Miku derivatives if they need another voicebank and don't want to shell out the cash.

Anyway, those are just my theories. I hope the Miku fans can unite and share their thoughts with me! :miku_lili:

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I agree with the second theory that Miku being the most popular means her fans are more likely to listen to tracks from new producers. Why take a massive risk with a more obscure VB when you could use Miku and get some attention from her fandom?

I also think part of the reason so many producers still use Miku is that if you have a problem with her software (whether it's Vocaloid or Piapro Studio), you can easily go online and ask for technical advice, such as on this forum. A more obscure VB might not have as much noted issues or advice floating around (unless you write up a post on here and someone swoops in to help).

IO+

Resonance47
Apr 22, 2021
These 3 theories is surprisingly accurate especially 2-3, although, i'm not a fan of anything. I'm just ordinarily users, so i might as well share my opinion in user perspective.

1.is kinda self explanatory so i don't have anything to share.

2.This is actually true. In voice synth community, especially in my commu i live in. Miku have an massive fanbase and her name, mascot and her color palette use on various of thing such as, website name, wiki page, product package, software name, cars, phone, label, headset, etc...even adult toys People most likely do some research and end up brought miku hatsune, because it's not only a good starting point also have a huge fanbase and userbase too, which mean more tutorial, more voice preset, more supportive user base, also marketing is more accessible with miku hatsune and because of her popularity, they don't have to spend much money for advertisement either, just simply share their song to community is more than enough.
There is so much more than this i can't think off. If you look at it in user perspective also, miku hatsune is extremely cost effective, in western word.. more bang for your buck.

3.This is also in parallel with number 2. They simply want to get the job done, because miku hatsune have more user base so it's convenient to brought miku, if they have trouble, it's easier to find a solution simply because almost everyone have it and use it (more supportive user base)...maybe his best friends use it too, who knows?
Then again, go back to cost effective, miku hatsune have 5 different voicebank and this is just japanese alone.

3.1 Why they exclusively using miku hatsune?
"Familiarity" would be a good answer. For some user, miku hatsune is the first voicebank they have and they use it for a very long time, although crypton release a new version of miku, some user still use older version because they get used to it. Friend of mine use miku v3 some people and producer i know still use miku v2 append.
I mean, they don't spend a lot of time in editor anyway, they work fast and jump to their DAW of choice and work on their way. If they change to new voicebank they have to re-learn a lot of thing and that's cost a time, the time they simply don't have.

A lot of thing have changed in a past few years. I don't think miku hatsune is the most cost effective anymore if you compare to synth v that offer good quality voicebank (not editor) for free, or neutrino a free machine learning base singing synths but miku is still compatitive.

Last edited:

Vector

Passionate Fan
Mar 6, 2022
Miku is an established character (and to a lesser degree, Luka and the Kagamines), to the point that Magical Mirai/Miku Expo/etc exist. People gravitate around Miku because they want to be a part of that movement.

It's the same sort of deal with Touhou Pepject or whatever: it's a doujin movement, with fans making things for fans. If you ask Trekkies or Potterheads why they don't fixate on some other sci-fi or fantasy series, they'll simply tell you it's not the same thing. They may like other series too, but they're not fungible.

Miku organically became an icon, something bigger than just a voice bank, because of that sort of fan activity. Participating in that by using the Miku voice banks for songs is drawing on that and being a part of something bigger. *takes off art history elective hat*

Anyway, that's why I picked up Miku. And I can't justify spending more $$$ on vocal synths just yet, so I have to hold off on acquiring Luka and Gumi...so cost is definitely a factor too.

Last edited:

Ibis

Did someone say UTAU?
Jul 7, 2022
the time out corner
I agree with the second theory that Miku being the most popular means her fans are more likely to listen to tracks from new producers. Why take a massive risk with a more obscure VB when you could use Miku and get some attention from her fandom?

I also think part of the reason so many producers still use Miku is that if you have a problem with her software (whether it's Vocaloid or Piapro Studio), you can easily go online and ask for technical advice, such as on this forum. A more obscure VB might not have as much noted issues or advice floating around (unless you write up a post on here and someone swoops in to help).
That's actually a good point that I didn't think of. Since so many people use Miku, it's probably easier to find any technical help if you need it. Good point!

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I think you're probably right about all 3 of your theories--different people who use Miku most/all of the time probably do it for one or more of those reasons.

Personally, I count myself among the first group. People might join that group for lots of different reasons. Maybe they like Miku's voice; the personality for her that's implied (but not enforced by fiat); the corresponding positive culture that is associated with her, which you can see among many concertgoers (as an example) and also often among the wider vocal synth fandom. Maybe they had some particular experience related to one or more of the above that has given her a special place in their lives.

I'm a hobbyist; I make music for personal reasons, and while I hope that people will listen to it, I'm not looking to use Miku's name in order to boost my audience. I own other synths that I like, and I consider putting them in when their timbre suits my purposes better. But for all of the above reasons, Miku was my first vocal synth and is the first one I think of when I have an idea for a new song. And, while I must acknowledge that I'm still a beginner when it comes to many aspects of manipulating a vocal synth's voice, as you mentioned, I've found her to be flexible in ways that I didn't expect. And that reliable flexibility is welcome as I continue to try to grow and figure out new things.

Ibis

Did someone say UTAU?
Jul 7, 2022
the time out corner
These 3 theories is surprisingly accurate especially 2-3, although, i'm not a fan of anything. I'm just ordinarily users, so i might as well share my opinion in user perspective.

1.is kinda self explanatory so i don't have anything to share.

2.This is actually true. In voice synth community, especially in my commu i live in. Miku have an massive fanbase and her name, mascot and her color palette use on various of thing such as, website name, wiki page, product package, software name, cars, phone, label, headset, etc...even adult toys People most likely do some research and end up brought miku hatsune, because it's not only a good starting point also have a huge fanbase and userbase too, which mean more tutorial, more voice preset, more supportive user base, also marketing is more accessible with miku hatsune and because of her popularity, they don't have to spend much money for advertisement either, just simply share their song to community is more than enough.
There is so much more than this i can't think off. If you look at it in user perspective also, miku hatsune is extremely cost effective, in western word.. more bang for your buck.

3.This is also in parallel with number 2. They simply want to get the job done, because miku hatsune have more user base so it's convenient to brought miku, if they have trouble, it's easier to find a solution simply because almost everyone have it and use it (more supportive user base)...maybe his best friends use it too, who knows?
Then again, go back to cost effective, miku hatsune have 5 different voicebank and this is just japanese alone.

3.1 Why they exclusively using miku hatsune?
"Familiarity" would be a good answer. For some user, miku hatsune is the first voicebank they have and they use it for a very long time, although crypton release a new version of miku, some user still use older version because they get used to it. Friend of mine use miku v3 some people and producer i know still use miku v2 append.
I mean, they don't spend a lot of time in editor anyway, they work fast and jump to their DAW of choice and work on their way. If they change to new voicebank they have to re-learn a lot of thing and that's cost a time, the time they simply don't have.

A lot of thing have changed in a past few years. I don't think miku hatsune is the most cost effective anymore if you compare to synth v that offer good quality voicebank (not editor) for free, or neutrino an machine learning base singing synths but miku is still compatitive.

I hope it's not too bad to read, sorry for my poor english
That's also another good point. Why would you want to spend the extra money on other voicebanks, on top of having to learn to use them, when you could just use Miku? It would take less time and be more cost efficient.

Miku is an established character (and to a lesser degree, Luka and the Kagamines), to the point that Magical Mirai/Miku Expo/etc exist. People gravitate around Miku because they want to be a part of that movement.

It's the same sort of deal with Touhou Pepject or whatever: it's a doujin movement, with fans making things for fans. If you ask Trekkies or Potterheads why they don't fixate on some other sci-fi or fantasy series, they'll simply tell you it's not the same thing. They may like other series too, but they're not fungible.

Miku organically became an icon, something bigger than just a voice bank, because of that sort of fan activity. Participating in that by using the Miku voice banks for songs is drawing on that and being a part of something bigger. *takes off art history elective hat*

Anyway, that's why I picked up Miku. And I can't justify spending more $$$ on vocal synths just yet, so I have to hold off on acquiring Luka and Gumi...so cost is definitely a factor too.
That is true. Some people really want to feel like they are a part of something, and gravitate towards Miku. If you want to talk about Miku, there will always be people around, where as there will be less for say, Kaito or Fukase. Mob mentality, everyone!

I think you're probably right about all 3 of your theories--different people who use Miku most/all of the time probably do it for one or more of those reasons.

Personally, I count myself among the first group. People might join that group for lots of different reasons. Maybe they like Miku's voice; the personality for her that's implied (but not enforced by fiat); the corresponding positive culture that is associated with her, which you can see among many concertgoers (as an example) and also often among the wider vocal synth fandom. Maybe they had some particular experience related to one or more of the above that has given her a special place in their lives.

I'm a hobbyist; I make music for personal reasons, and while I hope that people will listen to it, I'm not looking to use Miku's name in order to boost my audience. I own other synths that I like, and I consider putting them in when their timbre suits my purposes better. But for all of the above reasons, Miku was my first vocal synth and is the first one I think of when I have an idea for a new song. And, while I must acknowledge that I'm still a beginner when it comes to many aspects of manipulating a vocal synth's voice, as you mentioned, I've found her to be flexible in ways that I didn't expect. And that reliable flexibility is welcome as I continue to try to grow and figure out new things.
Even as an UTAU user I experience this to some degree. I try to use other voicebanks, like Tei or Teto, but every time I write out a song I just want to use Ruko.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019
I pretty much agree with most of the points that were talked about here.
Miku isn't my favourite vocal (although I still enjoy her), and she still is my most used voice next to Kagamine Rin. And the main reason is simply because simply having her in any of my songs over another vb isn't a small difference, it's a huge difference, the same song with miku over another vb tends to have around the double or the triple of the views of a song without, the only real vb out of all the ones that i use that kinda competes is... Rin which ends up on the same level

I still use more obscure vbs but i tend to use them less just because they don't get much attention

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019
I think it's not just about miku's popularity but also miku's content..
to explain (and I mostly refer to Youtube's system here) the Youtube algorithm is more likely to recommend content similar to the one someone's used to watch on youtube, so if they watch a miku song they will have other miku songs recommended
so it's not only about search, the miku songs would actively get recommended to people on the front page or the suggestions

Reactions: Ibis

Ibis

Did someone say UTAU?
Jul 7, 2022
the time out corner
I think it's not just about miku's popularity but also miku's content..
to explain (and I mostly refer to Youtube's system here) the Youtube algorithm is more likely to recommend content similar to the one someone's used to watch on youtube, so if they watch a miku song they will have other miku songs recommended
so it's not only about search, the miku songs would actively get recommended to people on the front page or the suggestions
It may be easier for new producers to use Miku in order to find new fans. Even using someone like Rin doesn't guarantee you that same view count using Miku would. I see that some producers will start making music using Miku, and I can understand that for several reasons. Most new producers can only buy one voicebank. Using Miku gives them a higher chance of finding success, and they can buy new voicebanks once they can afford it (both financially and view-wise). I hope I understand that right. Getting insight from the producers was what I was hoping for. Thank you for the insight!

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019
It may be easier for new producers to use Miku in order to find new fans. Even using someone like Rin doesn't guarantee you that same view count using Miku would. I see that some producers will start making music using Miku, and I can understand that for several reasons. Most new producers can only buy one voicebank. Using Miku gives them a higher chance of finding success, and they can buy new voicebanks once they can afford it (both financially and view-wise). I hope I understand that right. Getting insight from the producers was what I was hoping for. Thank you for the insight!
I'd say that Rin is popular enough to be grouped with miku in the results so it's not as much of an issue compared to some other vbs like... let's say mayu

Vector

Passionate Fan
Mar 6, 2022
I'd say that Rin is popular enough to be grouped with miku in the results so it's not as much of an issue compared to some other vbs like... let's say mayu
Or Luka. Most of the Crypton ones have fairly solid popularity.

One of the biggest vocaloid hits in the past couple of years is actually not a Miku song, and is not even using Crypton voice banks: "King" by Kanaria, is a Gumi song. It's been covered a truckload of times, especially by Hololive, and has millions of views on the original. Gumi's had a fairly solid popularity, and appears in a lot of major songs by producers like Hachi and Kira.

Stigbn

Aspiring Fan
Jul 21, 2018
Denmark
I'm not really into all the fanstuff and such, but to me Miku is the easiest vocaloid to use, at least the japanese version. It doesn't have any weird noise that you have to edit like Gumi or Luka, and Miku is pitch-correct which is very important to me (some vocaloids has weird drifting pitch here and there). I like Gumi, but it takes so much more time to make her sound good. So if I just want to put a voice to a song, Miku is the easiest option. But now that I have Synth V I must admit it becomes rarer and rarer that I use her.

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
A few years back, I saw a lot of discussion online pigeonholing Miku usage as solely a play for popularity and best visibility in nicodou tags and search results, which might be true for some-- but I sincerely believe that most people are just genuinely excited about Hatsune Miku. She's their favorite character, or they like how she sounds, or they want to be part of the 'Movement of Hatsune Miku'. I think there's a lot of positivity surrounding Miku, and now, there's a 'legacy' or musical history affiliated with her that makes her a symbol of emotion for a lot of people-- whether that's nostalgia, or the excitement of new fans, or anything in that realm, really. Pick your poison.

There are a lot of more affordable and arguably 'higher quality' synths on the market now, but as much as I love all of these characters we've grown to appreciate together, none of them are quite the same as Miku, for me personally. The characters that I get really excited about are the characters that we've created a community mythos around. Hatsune Miku's incorrigible history of legitimizing vocal synthesis, Kasane Teto's undying 'time capsule' status of 2000's internet humor, and as an extension of that, we're seeing an endless stream of Zundamon and Kafu memes that are generating a lot of new music. Characters like flower I think become similarly respected and beloved because a handful of producers fall in love with their voices and characterization and that feeling becomes so strong after music is created that they start to create their own musical mythos. I fall in love with their music and their use of the synth/instrument, and then I become really passionate about flower too, for instance.

Anyway, my point is, I think most people's reasoning really isn't strategic or thought out.At this point, most of the people making VOCALOID music grew up alongside Hatsune Miku and the scene in general. For me "Miku" isn't really a virtual idol or even a "character" as much as she's a... symbol? She's the symbol that unites all of the amazing music I've listening to all my life and has fed so much of my emotional development as a 'music listener', the same way my dad's favorite metal bands fostered his adolescence. It just becomes really close to your heart. I'm a synth music fan, really, not a "miku fan", but I still find myself with a Miku figure on my desk because she encompasses all of that for me. So, yeah, some people don't have their hearts in it, and some people are Miku character super-fans, but I genuinely just think most people like the idea of VOCALOID and its community as a whole. We're inspired and then we create our own art and music. And that encompasses who Miku is.

Last edited:

Ibis

Did someone say UTAU?
Jul 7, 2022
the time out corner
A few years back, I saw a lot of discussion online pigeonholing Miku usage as solely a play for popularity and best visibility in nicodou tags and search results, which might be true for some-- but I sincerely believe that most people are just genuinely excited about Hatsune Miku. She's their favorite character, or they like how she sounds, or they want to be part of the 'Movement of Hatsune Miku'. I think there's a lot of positivity surrounding Miku, and now, there's a 'legacy' or musical history affiliated with her that makes her a symbol of emotion for a lot of people-- whether that's nostalgia, or the excitement of new fans, or anything in that realm, really. Pick your poison.

There are a lot of more affordable and arguably 'higher quality' synths on the market now, but as much as I love all of these characters we've grown to appreciate together, none of them are quite the same as Miku, for me personally. The characters that I get really excited about are the characters that we've created a community mythos around. Hatsune Miku's incorrigible history of legitimizing vocal synthesis, Kasane Teto's undying 'time capsule' status of 2000's internet humor, and as an extension of that, we're seeing an endless stream of Zundamon and Kafu memes that are generating a lot of new music. Characters like flower I think become similarly respected and beloved because a handful of producers fall in love with their voices and characterization and that feeling becomes so strong after music is created that they start to create their own musical mythos. I fall in love with their music and their use of the synth/instrument, and then I become really passionate about flower too, for instance.

Anyway, my point is, I think most people's reasoning really isn't strategic or thought out.At this point, most of the people making VOCALOID music grew up alongside Hatsune Miku and the scene in general. For me "Miku" isn't really a virtual idol or even a "character" as much as she's a... symbol? She's the symbol that unites all of the amazing music I've listening to all my life and has fed so much of my emotional development as a 'music listener', the same way my dad's favorite metal bands fostered his adolescence. It just becomes really close to your heart. I'm a synth music fan, really, not a "miku fan", but I still find myself with a Miku figure on my desk because she encompasses all of that for me. So, yeah, some people don't have their hearts in it, and some people are Miku character super-fans, but I genuinely just think most people like the idea of VOCALOID and its community as a whole. We're inspired and then we create our own art and music. And that encompasses who Miku is.
You bring up an excellent point that I didn't really think of. Miku does sort of have their own legacy around them. A lot of fans who grew up in the 2010s probably remember Miku more fondly than some other vocals. Miku has also and the time to build a legacy for themself while the other divas might not have found that same place in people's hearts. I guess they sort of serve as a mascot for vocal synth music in general!

AmazingStrange39

Miku-Avanna-Gumi enthusiast
May 23, 2019
I do have a couple other options, but I really enjoy using Miku and I love the way her voice sounds. She's always been my favorite and she and her voice are just special to me. And yeah, publicity is part of it I guess, though I will use AVANNA if she fits better than Miku and I'm quite fond of her as well.

Luxie

Kagamine Rin and Len cover artist
Aug 3, 2022
Eastern USA
Likely theory 2, but they are all possible. More people are gonna recognize Miku than, say, IA. Both are queens, but Hatsune Miku is more iconic,

Reactions: Ibis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)