• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Other Cryptonloid voicebank updates, collabs, & concert news (crypton_wat Twitter translations)

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Note: This thread will be continuously updated from now on to have the latest crypton_wat tweets as they are posted. Stay tuned for juicy Cryptonloid news!

Hi, I'm one of the uncreepy twins and stalking translating crypton_wat's tweets is a big hobby of mine. A lot my translations were lost to English speaking Vocaloid fans when VocaloidOtaku shut down, and some translations I shared were posted exclusively on VocaVerse’s Discord, so I'm sure most people missed out on some big news. I decided to go back and combine all of my translations so far onto one big document...

However, when double checking his Twitter, I realized there was a lot more I could have translated from before I got into the fandom. I went back a year and added more tweet translations, plus important replies to the document.

In the end, I have compiled a 36 page document with my translations of important tweets by crypton_wat (Wataru Sasaki, developer at Crypton) relating to their upcoming Vocaloid projects:
--> --> --> crypton_wat Twitter translations <-- <-- <--

Looking back on these sacred texts of the tinfoil hat brigade, I realized that the answers were right in front of us all along! Everything makes sense now. And all we have to do is wait until this weekend and next weekend when the Hatsune Miku yelling voice is revealed on Shinkalion's next 2 episodes.

Summary of Wat’s talking points/goals so everything makes sense:

Crypton has been working on a VocaListener-esque plug-in:
The plug-in is rumored to be a free append for V4, will help beginners easily learn how to tune, and is semi-automatic. In addition to that project, Crypton is making Append DBs (databases) for each of their Vocaloids, which will be low cost. Wat refers to this technique as “coating” the voice and is more sensitive than VocaListener. He and Goto, a top researcher at the institute that developed VocaListener, seem to be familiar with each other.

Shinkalion x Hatsune Miku collaboration:
Wat created a yelling voice for Miku that will appear on Shinkalion this weekend (episode 15) and next weekend (episode 16). It is similar to Hatsune Miku’s crying voice from Magical Mirai 2017), but seems more useful to Vocaloid producers to use for emo songs. Based on an interview, it seems that Miku’s voice actress’ (Saki Fujita) vocal performance was used as a base for the VocaListener-esque plug-in that ended up being used in Shinkalion. The talking voice of Miku in Shinkalion is supposed to be something we are not used to hearing, but seems as if Miku herself is doing the acting.

Hints at “emo” screaming for singing:
Wat mentioned tests of making visual kei-style emotional singing and was learning from certain producers on their tuning.

Append DB changes:
The Append DBs are using the original V1 and V2 recordings in order to recapture the character of the vocals, especially Miku (Wat said repeatedly some people think the dark voice bank, for example, are not Miku-ish). They will use shorter sound samples similar to UTAU. He also mentioned less engine noise. Wat is obsessed with making Miku have a voice that is not necessarily “human” sounding, rather, a voice that is more easy to understand for listening comprehension than a human’s singing voice. That is the end goal.

Sega:
Crypton and Sega are working on a new game in the Diva series, not more stuff for Magical Mirai.

Who knows, none of these updates might even apply to the Cryptonloids' English voice banks.

Please do me a favor, if you found these translations helpful, please retweet it so that others outside of VocaVerse may read them!

Last edited:

First Sound Future

Passionate Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Oh I remember seeing this on VO back then as a guest! :v It's great that the translation wasn't lost since it hints at so many interesting things, my personal favorite obviously being the possible mention about V5's future (and Cryptonloid's future) but I'm also interested what could "emo" screaming mean. Thank you for translating wat's tweets. ^^

Reactions: GreenFantasy64

GreenFantasy64

カイミク || Len English || Arsloid || V5/Piapro
Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
Don't know if you want these too, but I screenshot this on my phone when you mentioned to me in VO before how Wat was editing Kaito's V1 bank and made a tweet long time ago about it. I went searching for it on that day. X D
Screenshot_2018-01-10-14-44-29.png
Screenshot_2018-01-10-14-44-58.png

Screenshot_2018-01-10-14-45-02.png

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Thanks for retweeting and stuff, everyone. I really appreciate it.

Don't know if you want these too, but I screenshot this on my phone when you mentioned to me in VO before how Wat was editing Kaito's V1 bank and made a tweet long time ago about it. I went searching for it on that day. X D
Yeah, I can probably add those to the document when I get time. I wasn't sure how far back to go in the Twitter timeline.

Here is every clip of every time Hatsune Miku speaks from episode 15 of Shinkalion today. In my humble opinion, she sounds fine at first due to the echo in her voice while in the mecha, but when it hits about 50 seconds in, the quality seems to go down and you can really hear the VocaListener/talkloid-ness. It seems like they ran out of time or something to fix it up. S: I don't know how to feel about this.

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Yeah the still image cameos that get panned across for like 2 seconds is great and all, but what about the point of the video, Miku's voice being coated with her voice provider's voice and sounding kinda wonked up? What does this mean for the future of Cryptonloids?!?! :what:

GreenFantasy64

Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
Yeah, her voice sounds odd, like they are using an old version or having a beginner tune her voice. (>_>;)
If she was a robot in the show then I might be okay with her voice, but it is also like they didn't use any effects to her voice too.

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Yeah, her voice sounds odd, like they are using an old version or having a beginner tune her voice. (>_>;)
If she was a robot in the show then I might be okay with her voice, but it is also like they didn't use any effects to her voice too.
Well, it would make sense to think it sounds like an old version, cause are using the old V1 and V2 files for their new appends.

Edit: I forgot to say that I'm pretty sure Wat tuned it cause he said he got tendonitis from tuning it so hard and then a couple days ago he said he tweaked her voice for Shinkalion again at the last minute.

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
Edit: I forgot to say that I'm pretty sure Wat tuned it cause he said he got tendonitis from tuning it so hard and then a couple days ago he said he tweaked her voice for Shinkalion again at the last minute.
Wouldn't surprise me if quality went down towards the end because of that, could have had to avoid doing it for health reasons. Either way, it sounded pretty cool to me.

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
I completely forgot to say that I watched episode 15 while it aired. I guess Miku's personality in the show was quite shocking to me and it doesn't come across in the YouTube clips (especially if you don't understand Japanese). Here is a summary:

You would assume that Miku would be happy-go-lucky and maybe be hanging out with the other Cryptonloids and smiling just like them, right? WRONG! Every time she wasn't talking, she was giving a menacing glare or frowning with her eyes closed and looking down, she literally never smiled the entire episode. Her response when being talked to is a mere "Understood" 3-4 times. When the main character attempts to help her in battle, she insults him for being sloppy. When the main character fan boys over her mecha, she says she has zero interest in the mecha even though she is its pilot. The other main characters stink at fighting compared to her, so she keeps trying to tell them to leave Hokkaido to her. Every time she says 1-2 lines of talking to them, she closes her eyes and does a heel turn away from them and won't come back even though they aren't finished talking to her. The main character gets sick and literally collapses from fever in front of her, but she is just glaring angrily because they were late to the battle and doesn't think she needs their help.

I know they probably picked this cold personality so it would make sense for her to not talk much, but the whole time I was watching, all I could think about was how unpleasant and plain old mean she came across as. S: Lots of comments on Wat's Twitter say she her voice was cute in the episode, but I don't know what part of the episode was cute at all! I mean, I've seen other episodes of the show and the child characters are generally agreeable and get along. Plus, Miku's supposed to be some future music savior, so I just don't know... OTL

GreenFantasy64

Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
I completely forgot to say that I watched episode 15 while it aired. I guess Miku's personality in the show was quite shocking to me and it doesn't come across in the YouTube clips (especially if you don't understand Japanese). Here is a summary:

You would assume that Miku would be happy-go-lucky and maybe be hanging out with the other Cryptonloids and smiling just like them, right? WRONG! Every time she wasn't talking, she was giving a menacing glare or frowning with her eyes closed and looking down, she literally never smiled the entire episode. Her response when being talked to is a mere "Understood" 3-4 times. When the main character attempts to help her in battle, she insults him for being sloppy. When the main character fan boys over her mecha, she says she has zero interest in the mecha even though she is its pilot. The other main characters stink at fighting compared to her, so she keeps trying to tell them to leave Hokkaido to her. Every time she says 1-2 lines of talking to them, she closes her eyes and does a heel turn away from them and won't come back even though they aren't finished talking to her. The main character gets sick and literally collapses from fever in front of her, but she is just glaring angrily because they were late to the battle and doesn't think she needs their help.

I know they probably picked this cold personality so it would make sense for her to not talk much, but the whole time I was watching, all I could think about was how unpleasant and plain old mean she came across as. S: Lots of comments on Wat's Twitter say she her voice was cute in the episode, but I don't know what part of the episode was cute at all! I mean, I've seen other episodes of the show and the child characters are generally agreeable and get along. Plus, Miku's supposed to be some future music savior, so I just don't know... OTL
Actually, yeah I did noticed that from the clips which is why I thought if she was a robot along with her voice. I guess I didn't mention that because I was more focus on her voice. X D
They could have went with a shy or quiet type for Miku instead of choosing to make her mean or extremely cold. Unless they are going to make her become nicer in the future episode? How many episodes is she going to appear in again? :unsure:

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
They could have went with a shy or quiet type for Miku instead of choosing to make her mean or extremely cold. Unless they are going to make her become nicer in the future episode? How many episodes is she going to appear in again? :unsure:

Yeah, she could have just been too shy to talk instead of being 24/7 angry. The next episode that airs this weekend is 16, which is the last episode she will be in (she is only in episodes 15-16). Maybe in the next episode it will be revealed she was just acting cold because she is shy and that's how she deals with it. But then again, the main characters will probably never come back to Hokkaido, so... I dunno. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't think Shinkalion has very deep character development, so I would be surprised if she had a change of heart.

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Here is a video of every time Miku talks in Shinkalion episode 16 (the last one she will appear in). Remember, the big point of this episode was supposed to be the big reveal of her battle yell.

I was expecting something more powerful. Her talking reminds me of an Animal Crossing character, too.

The plot of this episode was that Miku had been mean because she didn't want them to know she suffers from motion sickness--even though she's a pilot. WhaAaAAaaAT?! How wacky. The two boy sidekicks got captured by the spider robot and couldn't move their robots while they were freezing to death, so Miku left her robot to get the main character (he got better from collapsing because she made him a drink). Then, they beat the spider and laughed happily because they could tell from Miku's face that she actually does like her train robot. The end. :)

I think my hopes for a metal/rockin' Vocaloid died a little today. RIP hopes and dreams.

Well, what do you guys think about the upcoming Cryptonloid Appends now that the Shinkalion chapter has closed?

Reactions: Chickadee

GreenFantasy64

Staff member
Apr 9, 2018
soundcloud.com
I was expecting something more powerful. Her talking reminds me of an Animal Crossing character, too.

The plot of this episode was that Miku had been mean because she didn't want them to know she suffers from motion sickness--even though she's a pilot. WhaAaAAaaAT?! How wacky.
Then, they beat the spider and laughed happily because they could tell from Miku's face that she actually does like her train robot. The end. :)

I think my hopes for a metal/rockin' Vocaloid died a little today. RIP hopes and dreams.

Well, what do you guys think about the upcoming Cryptonloid Appends now that the Shinkalion chapter has closed?
Eh, not really into her voice. :miki_lili:
There were times when her face expression shows that she is shouting or speaking louder, but her voice stayed the same. Plus her voice doesn't really fit with the real actors. I keep thinking that if she was a robot or an android it would work much better. For the battle yell, it didn't seem powerful, but I think with some gender factor and brightness or using her dark or solid voicebank could perhaps fix that?

Also, when I read the excuse of her coldness I thought, "Really? :miki_lili: Did they even show in the last espiode of her hesitating of entering the machine or looking worry when using the suit?" But I decided to watch the video and see...and it's eh...okay. : /

Do you mean the cryptonloids of the metal/rockin' Vocaloid? : O Cause isn't Flower made for Rock songs?

Well, if they are going to use Miku v2...I don't know. I really love her v3 and v4 voices more. (^_^;) And hearing her voice here, I might have to get used to it, but I might not care or want it more than the v4 bundle. But if they are planning on making voiceroids on them I wonder how the other cryptonloids will sound or if they will improve Miku.

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
Yeah, I thought they should've said she was an android, then it would've been more believable. ^^;

For rockin' Vocaloids, I thought that maybe in the future they would have a stronger yelling/vocal fry-ish ability. The current GROWL parameter sounds really horrible and unrealistic, it sounds like when kids talk into an electric fan (in my humble opinion). I have been researching how to make Vocaloids scream, so my hopes for what the Vocaloid engine alone without mixing in a DAW can do has been plummeting (in short, you need distortion, an amp, EQ, and layering). Unless they actually record some yelling voice bank.
I was thinking more like this (timestamped, it starts with yelling, so don't have your volume up too loud):

In Wat's tweets, he said that he was researching visual kei singing and that Miku would sound "fierce" in Shinkalion (I think we can agree fierce is too strong of a word for that performance). All the visual kei I listen to either has no screaming (so just some light/alternative rock, I guess, with a creepy atmosphere, as in definitely not "pop") or has very heavy, emotional screaming. So I thought, "Wow, fierce + vkei?! We're in for a real treat!" :{

First Sound Future

Passionate Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Tbh I also think it would be better if Miku was presented as an android in the anime. I mean it is cool to see a Vocaloid have a voice acting role but it just doesn't sound as realistic/good as Voiceroid... And the screaming voicebank just sounded kinda weak?? It's somewhat disappointing. orz

Also about Vocaloids than can yell like in that song, I used to think that's how growl would originally sound like. But what we got in the end was kind of useless, since I rarely see anyone use growl and if it actually is used, it gets used too much and it just sounds odd or not really that good. When I saw wat mentioning Miku's screaming vb(?) I thought this would mean V5 could get an actual powerful screaming/yelling feature but seeing how weak Miku's battle yell sounded... I don't know, maybe they can improve it in the future. (If any of the future Vocaloid engines will even have such a feature that is)

uncreepy

Apr 9, 2018
2 new tweets.

【Current work memo】
・The subject of Shin◯lion→will appear again soon. It's coming quickly and I'm nervous.
・Currently working on→Rhythm game collaboration-type things
・Work I'm currently adjusting→I'm unable to talk before the particulars are decided...5 heavy matters, a lot of particulars
・Currently mainly focusing on adjusting→cooperation with certain well-established indie level author(s)
Not sure if the list is in order of release date or not. He says the Shinkalion thing (I thought that chapter was closed, guess not!) is coming soon, yet the last point about authors is his number one focus. I don’t know why lately he sensors the word “Shinkalion”.

I assume "Beat & game" = rhythm game based on Google image searching. Wat confirmed Crypton's talks with Sega for a new Project Diva game, so I assume this is it.

The world seems like GW (Golden Week), but I came here and have various work for the second half of this year. Although a medley, Hatsune Miku might sing about 50 songs from various eras of music... which is the most chancy.* The analysis of singing styles is progressing!
Golden Week = Spring Break-esque week filled with a series of holidays. Lots of people get paid time off and go to onsens or foreign countries. It gets crowded and places are booked full. So instead of having a break, Wat is working.

*Yabai is really hard for me to translate. It's a word that you hear used in several ways. You use it when something is happening and you're like "Oh snap!" cause it's dangerous or risque.

He's probably talking about Hatsune Miku Symphony here, as he keeps retweeting an image from their Twitter where they have been adding a character to the lineup.
See:

Kasane Teto

+ Megurine Luka

+ Kagamine Rin

+ MEIKO

(They add a new character once a week, Friday in USA time.) It looks like the 2017 symphony was in November, 2016 was in August. So, we can probably assume the 2018 one will be around the end of the year as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)