• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Embarrassing Things You've Done In The Fandom

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
I don't think I've *done* too many embarrassing things actually, but, trying to bring up vocaloid music to anybody at all usually gets me some strange looks and mixed reactions. It's usually something I have to enjoy alone.
So far I haven't managed to embarrass myself yet, either...I think? :) But that's basically my approach to playing Vocaloid music, too. Mostly I play it alone or over headphones. Though if I do play it in front of other people, it's people who know I like Japanese music. But they don't even know Vocaloid exists yet, I don't think, and they don't listen to Japanese music themselves (They have a higher preference for listening to music in a language they understand.). So it's possible they think most Japanese singers sound like Vocaloids.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
yeah I feel like it's something that society wants me to think is not acceptable lol
That'll probably change, though. What society is cool with has a way of broadening over time. I mean, look at all the foreign restaurants we enjoy now that probably might've been seen as weird to go to a number of years ago. There's even a "cool" factor to it, too--going to someplace like that seems to be seen as demonstrating worldliness in certain circles. At least that's what I've observed in the US.

Last edited:

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
I once had to show some work related photos on my phone to a workmate. Guess did she accidentally see some of the lewd Miku pics I had on my phone too...

I don't think I've *done* too many embarrassing things actually, but, trying to bring up vocaloid music to anybody at all usually gets me some strange looks and mixed reactions. It's usually something I have to enjoy alone.
I feel the same.

I only had this experience when I was in the early state of being a Vocaloid/Miku fan. I never felt embarassed to talk about it - well, I just lack a feeling of embarassment in general, I guess. It was more like I already expected people to react negatively, so I just never mentioned it.
But nowadays I left all those people behind me since I didn't feel comfortable around them. All the people I keep in touch with are, at least casually, interested in Vocaloid music or are my classmates/colleagues.
My last good presentation was about the history of Hatsune Miku - in front of a class where 90% presented some rappers. And guess what, I knew what my audience was into, so I made a focus on facts that mainstream people like, e.g. Miku's collab. with Lady Gaga, the Just Dance games, mentioned Big Boi and that one rapper who attended Miku Expo LA, showed them my DAW along with Miku V4X and played a hardcore OkameP song since I didn't buy any Miku raps yet. And that's how I earned applause, made the best presentation in class and even converted someone into a Miku fan.
Honestly, I even mentioned Vocaloid when my employer asked me how I decided to learn Japanese. I didn't say "OMG, I'm the biggest Miku fanboy in the world! Miku best waifu!", I was more like "Well, Vocaloid is software for musicians. You choose a voice you like, input your lyrics and make it sing for you". That's your save bet if you want to make someone who is not into anime like Vocaloid.
I believe that you can make almost every person like Vocaloid as long as you pay attention to things they already like. Well, as long as they are not dumbasses that don't get a single thing you say.

Oh, I just remembered that I accidentally showed my arts class my collection of bikini Miku images during another presentation. Now the girls know what "it's difficult" really means.^^'

PoPkA

New Fan
Dec 25, 2018
Once in middle school I changed my phone wallpaper to a cool pic of Len and some mean girls saw it and started making a lot of questions and I felt uncomfortable and panicked so I, Idk why, answered to one of their questions with "he's my boyfriend" AAAnd everytime I remember that I feel rlly embarrassed.:vy1_lili::vy1_lili::vy1_lili:
lol OTL

OtakuKiarra

☐single ☐taken ☑mentally dating Kaito Shion
May 8, 2019
Pronouncing Kaito as Kayto for the first year I discovered Vocaloid and believing everyone who said Kaito correctly was wrong
LMAO i did that too!! stopped doing it for a while but for some unknown reason i've started again ;-;

Reactions: ThatGirlMyra

OtakuKiarra

May 8, 2019
-Pronounced Kaito as Kayto;-;
-Classic "thinking live vocaloids were holograms"
-Still don't know how to say "IA" correctly
-Telling people about wowaka's death. i got a lot of really strange looks for that
-Telling people about liking Vocaloid. Mean girls (girl, really) in my classes teases me for it
-drawing fanart during class and getting asked about it (one girl kept insisting Piko was a girl, even after i showed her his Wiki page)
-For some reason thought Miku live was an actual person in a costume????? idk
-Uploading a horrible Copycat cover, so soft you could hardly hear it, recorded with my laptop mic, to Scratch
-And of course, thinking they were anime characters. ouch.

TwT

Reactions: ThatGirlMyra

OtakuKiarra

May 8, 2019
I only had this experience when I was in the early state of being a Vocaloid/Miku fan. I never felt embarassed to talk about it - well, I just lack a feeling of embarassment in general, I guess. It was more like I already expected people to react negatively, so I just never mentioned it.
But nowadays I left all those people behind me since I didn't feel comfortable around them. All the people I keep in touch with are, at least casually, interested in Vocaloid music or are my classmates/colleagues.
My last good presentation was about the history of Hatsune Miku - in front of a class where 90% presented some rappers. And guess what, I knew what my audience was into, so I made a focus on facts that mainstream people like, e.g. Miku's collab. with Lady Gaga, the Just Dance games, mentioned Big Boi and that one rapper who attended Miku Expo LA, showed them my DAW along with Miku V4X and played a hardcore OkameP song since I didn't buy any Miku raps yet. And that's how I earned applause, made the best presentation in class and even converted someone into a Miku fan.
Honestly, I even mentioned Vocaloid when my employer asked me how I decided to learn Japanese. I didn't say "OMG, I'm the biggest Miku fanboy in the world! Miku best waifu!", I was more like "Well, Vocaloid is software for musicians. You choose a voice you like, input your lyrics and make it sing for you". That's your save bet if you want to make someone who is not into anime like Vocaloid.
I believe that you can make almost every person like Vocaloid as long as you pay attention to things they already like. Well, as long as they are not dumbasses that don't get a single thing you say.

Oh, I just remembered that I accidentally showed my arts class my collection of bikini Miku images during another presentation. Now the girls know what "it's difficult" really means.^^'
Wow, i wish i was brave enough to go up and openly talk about vocaloid! pretty cool! i still get embarrassed telling ppl i like vocaloid dx

OtakuKiarra

May 8, 2019

Wow, i wish i was brave enough to go up and openly talk about vocaloid! pretty cool
Omg same! Also when i tell people it's japanese they go, "sO iTs LiKe KpOp?" why??

• Haha
Reactions: RabbitWhale39
Apr 8, 2018
[@]
zero-g.co.uk
got in the fandom at the time when i thought i'll be dealing with a sea of weebs so i became that hipster engloid stan because i don't ever want to be associated with these degenerates

got tired of that shit years later and just decided to focus on tonio and a few faves and life became easier

anyway stan tonio

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
It's embarrassing when me and other Vocaloid fans are chatting on Discord, we'll usually bring up something like "Oh, there are no horror themed Vocaloids" and then we collectively forget about literally every single horror themed Vocaloid, until someone's like "What about Oliver?" And then we're like "Oh yeah..." and then someone else is like "What about Big Al?" and then we're like "Oh yeah, oops" and then we are able to list off like 5 total Vocaloids who fit said criteria. Same thing with fighting about there being no Vocaloids with X hair color and being reminded there are indeed several.

But the most embarrassing thing that still makes me lay awake in bed to this day is when the Meikas came out, one of their demo songs by Kotori Koiwai was called "鳴花" and I could not figure out how to read that title. I even tried to ask Kotori on Twitter how to read the title. Several days later, I realized that it was "Meika", as in their stinking last name. Even though I had translated their entire product info from Japanese into English for launch day, I didn't make the connection. I wish brain bleach was real sometimes.

Reactions: TheStarPalace

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)