• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

General Discussion Thread

hamano

ミクさんマジ天使
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
mobile.twitter.com
Ok, I think there has been some confusion regarding Gatebox. I just got their recent newsletter that made me have a good read around their website.

Now, when they previously said you won't be able to use Miku or Hikari from April onwards, that meant the old GTBX-1 device. The replacement model, GTBX-100JP will still include Hikari, so she's not getting axed. But there's nothing to indicate Miku would be available on the new Gatebox (yet). I'm thinking hasty conclusions have been made, and it could very well be that Miku will become available on the new device, at least to those who own the old Miku edition GTBX-1.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Thanks for clarifying. Hopefully Gatebox will see how torn up people are and at least give a statement about Miku's fate.

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
Ok, I think there has been some confusion regarding Gatebox. I just got their recent newsletter that made me have a good read around their website.

Now, when they previously said you won't be able to use Miku or Hikari from April onwards, that meant the old GTBX-1 device. The replacement model, GTBX-100JP will still include Hikari, so she's not getting axed. But there's nothing to indicate Miku would be available on the new Gatebox (yet). I'm thinking hasty conclusions have been made, and it could very well be that Miku will become available on the new device, at least to those who own the old Miku edition GTBX-1.
I really hope that's true--it would certainly make a lot more sense from Gatebox's perspective. Definitely as far as keeping Hikari around, at the least. Thanks @hamano!

Hm, so this seems like more of a hardware update, maybe. If I've read all this right:
  • They're ending support for the original Gatebox. So, I assume, old Gateboxes might not be able to connect back to Gatebox HQ and perform their Alexa-like functions/get characters or something.
  • People can exchange their old Gatebox for a new unit for free.
  • It can't be taken for granted that old characters can continue to be used on the new model Gatebox.
I really wonder what it is that dicatates that old characters might not work on the new model.... :unsure:

Wario94

Passionate Fan
Jan 5, 2019
When I was on Twitter while looking for the whole "V5 flower" thing, I was notified on this tweet:
The one thing I noticed on that tweet was "flower popularity down". That sentence was really bother me like "wait, really?"
And to make things even worst was Glens replying to that tweet and look something like this:
Ugh!!!!!🤦

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I think they are just comparing Lily and flower because they are both recommended for rock type music and therefore see them as being in "competition" (see the "lily new vocarock queen" comment). I really don't agree the flower's usage is down. If anything, the Meikas being released only boosted attention to flower even more than it already was. She would not be getting a talk voice soon if her popularity was down. Flower is popular among both English and Japanese speaking fans.

I think this timeline is actually wishful thinking and shouldn't be taken too seriously. Because niki did make a song called "Hearts" a couple days ago > but then they say it goes viral, I don't think that 7,662 views = viral (should be more like a million) > new producers become influenced (I don't think fans can get influenced in like 2 days) > this re-sparked popularity causes flower to fall to Lily > Lily gets a V5 update, AND a CeVIO bank, AND a Piapro bank > and finally the image of the figure they posted gets painted (it's an Oiran 1/8 figure by Phat Company that has been in limbo for a few years).

Rylitah

kiyoteru enthusiast
Staff member
Apr 8, 2018
Some other fun stuff:

Miki, Yuki, and Kiyoteru released in 2009, though development plans started around 2007

Miki seems to have started with another company (not Yamaha?)

Yuki and Kiyoteru had different concepts; Yuki was originally blonde.

(This person's entire thread is interesting and covers a lot of stuff up to now, actually.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)