• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

SynthV Synthesizer V Discussion Thread

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
There's apparently new features in the web version, which give an indication of what's to come in SynthV 2.

Oh yeah: to my surprise, it appears to work in Opera! Downside: Looks like it's Japanese only for now.

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
This is extremely disappointing. Like, coming from someone who has love the everloving shit out of Synthesizer V since it was announced and has been excited for SVR2 through everything, this is just a bad announcement. Like not even getting into how bad the web editor is, the way it was hyped up made it seem like actual SVR2 news, and it just reminds me again that Kanru desperately needs someone to do his marketing for him so he doesn't set himself up.

Anyway, the editor, oh boy...
It's bad. Like, it's primarily meant for testing SVR2 stuff by the public from what I can tell, but even then it's godawful. Doesn't seem to import files properly, can't export them at all, or render JA-F2's voice! Which basically means that while you can use JA-F2 in the web editor, there's no way to actually use her vocals for anything. I'm really disappointed by it.

EDIT: I have found a way to record the output through Audacity. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: kozet and ___

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
My Firefox (the standard version, not the nightly version) isn't compatible with Wed SynthV, and now I'm sad because I wanted to play around with a vocal synth for the first time ever. :tongue:

Though I guess I could download Chrome and see if it works properly there.

Älfa Dröttning

Aspiring Fan
Sep 17, 2019
My Firefox (the standard version, not the nightly version) isn't compatible with Wed SynthV, and now I'm sad because I wanted to play around with a vocal synth for the first time ever. :tongue:

Though I guess I could download Chrome and see if it works properly there.
The non-web trial of Synth V is completely free so you could always try that version out if you can’t get the web version to work.

inactive

Passionate Fan
Jun 27, 2019
Oof...

I spend a lot of time with my desktop physically disconnected from the internet so that I have no distractions while I work. A web-based SynthV isn't for me.

Plus, this whole idea that "web apps are the future" is an idea that reappears every now and again with limited permanent effect.

My university does subscribe to Google Docs, and it's fantastic for group work. However, that's its only strength. Maybe if the web version of SynthV adds online collaboration Mr. Hua might be onto something, but as it stands this is a disappointment.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
To be fair, by the page's own admission, it's more a tool for those just getting their feet wet with synth work than anything. They're still promoting the desktop app above all else, this might just be a good way to work out the kinks of any new features before bringing them to the primary application. In that respect I think it has potential! I used browser-based synths before committing to downloading anything when I was just starting out, though, so maybe I've just got a soft spot for the idea.

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
Hmm. Well it's definitely a neat idea, and since it's incomplete I'll hold back any harsh judgments. Here's hoping it improves and becomes even better!! I do like the voice sample xuu posted, so I think there's plenty of potential :)

Reactions: peaches2217

xuu

long suffering synth fan
Apr 8, 2018
UK
I finished the cover, and posted it to YouTube (since SoundCloud took it down)!

Might do a lot more with her. I had to split the main part into 4 sections for it to import well, and even then the final part didn't properly (but I could use an earlier part of the render for it). I hope she gets this kind of design in her finalised version.

kozet

Conlanger
Jul 5, 2019
flirora.xyz
My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

On a more serious note, I see that parameters are now edited using curves with control points instead of freehanding. I like this change; it would give smoother results and it would be easier to correct mistakes. (I'm unsure about how importing old .s5p files would work, though.)

There's also a dropdown arrow to the left of the 'Piano Roll' text. It's not functional yet, but perhaps it could be used to switch to other views in the future. The only other thing I could think of there is a 'score view'.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but I noticed that the web version has a Q&A section at the bottom.

Main things I want to point out are that the web version is meant to test out new, experimental features so that Kanru can get feedback on it quickly. The web version is recommended to test out these features, serious music production is meant for the desktop version.

The 2nd gen Synth V is coming out later this year. Web version is using it's neural network for aspiration modeling feature already (he teased this breathy parameter a while back).

He kind of dodged the last question about being able to save your work. It just says to do that in the actual desktop version. So I guess we can assume that Masaki will be for Synth V's 2nd gen if we aren't actually meant to be making songs in here with her.

uncreepy

👵Escaped from the retirement home
Apr 9, 2018
Irunabara created a really nice tutorial which compares the features of Synth V's desktop and web versions, so I asked if I could link you all to it:

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
I'm gonna be honest, I'm not crazy about the new parameter editing changes. That's one of my favorite things about SynthV: you can make as many changes as you want within a given area and you don't have to worry about setting it back to default for the next section. (It's inconvenient when you want to apply a consistent change to an entire song, but the pros heavily outweigh the cons for me.) Still, I don't think it'll be too hard to get used to, just tricky.

Reactions: Wario94

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)