• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
I have noticed that the new gumi v4 banks all have different quirk they don't like heavily edited phoneme and can glitch out but the v3 banks works out fine. This is my theory they edited the samples like how crypton edits Miku's v2 but added some effects like eq and the old v3 banks are just ports. Has internet comment on it?

Ps native fat is great definitely best default gumi

Thought this might help everyone

Last edited:

Mika

crying over Rune Factory 6
Jul 5, 2018
Germany
I don't like remixes. In my opinion not a single remix is "better" or even sounds close to as good as the original song. Always get so disappointed when I listen to good covers but they use the remix instead of the og version and I instantly like it less (cough cough especially the sat1080 mix of lost one's weeping cough cough)

lIlI

Staff member
Apr 6, 2018
The Lightning Strike
I'm loving the boom in vocal synth options lately, and I'm loving potential of AI becoming user friendly. But one thing that's got worse?

Brand names. :rana_lili:

"Vocaloid": that's a name people can get behind. Vocal / Android. Simple, meaningful, unique.

But now I have to remember if Kagami Kawaiine's hit new voicebank is going to be on Studio AI Voice, AI Voice Studio, or Singers Studio AI? I can't even remember what the new Xbox is called. :ring_ani_lili:

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
UTAU isnt that bad. Sure, compared to Vocaloid its a little bit harder to learn, but its not that bad of a program.

Right @VocaloSynthesis! Aside from occasional crashes (you can't tell me Vocaloid doesn't crash sometimes either) and it's early 2000s UI look, the UTAU program right now is pretty solid. With plugins, even better. That's why I've been saying we don't absolutely need an update of the program but I'd be lying if I said I don't desperately want one.

It may not have memorable banks like Miku or Gumi, but it has many memorable characters that I adore

Teto and the Vipperloids are basically UTAU's Miku and Cryptonloids. I'd say she's memorable enough if she's been added in the Vocaloid game Project Diva :)

---

This brings up another thing I've always thought about... Sometimes I wonder if UTAU's very old reputation of being low-quality / a cut under Vocaloid still sticks with people? And that these are the kind of people that heard UTAU back in "the day" and didn't like it, so they never bothered to dive into it again where it is now? I still occasionally come across messages like this more so in Vocaloid-heavy communities (like the actual Vocaloid wiki hahaaa). It's pretty rare that I do though, but it just makes me wonder.

I think of it similar to if a game had a terrible release and everyone trashes it, yet over the years it receives fundamental updates that fix core issues and create a more enjoyable game than before. But there are still people that played the game at it's release, hated it, though acknowledge it has been fixed but because of their first impressions of the game left a bad taste in their mouth they have no want or desire to try it out again. (Basically the community of the game No Man's Sky is what I had in mind typing this lol). That's kind of the logic I feel happens with of those who still think UTAU is this rickety old program that's a Vocaloid try-hard. I meeeean, it is still rickety and 8 years old :clara_ani_lili: but the community has contributed a ton with high quality resamplers like moresampler and fresamp which leave next to no engine noise, plus the standard for a "good voicebank" is so high now. And plugins make using the program a lot more efficient. So maybe it is still rickety old program that's a Vocaloid try-hard but it's certainly doing a good job at it!!!

Everyone's personal taste in vocal-synths are different and if people simply don't like UTAU for any reason as dumb as Teto's twindrills don't make sense to them and they can't wrap their head around how hair can possibly do that, I'd still respect their opinion! (And agree with them on the hair part :teto_lili: I imagine she uses some extremely strong hairspray in ridiculously large amounts.)

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
I'm?? Yeah, the results people have gotten with UTAU are fantastic, but you can't tell me that the program itself is in a great spot when it is made for CV Japanese banks and that's about it. The users have manipulated and twisted the SHIT out of it, and the reclists and usts you see are an amazing testament to their creativity and drive. I respect the heck out of UTAU users, because the program is NOT user friendly and they have accepted that challenge and gone above and beyond.

Edit: That isn't to say Vocaloid is all that much better. It has its own slew of issues and letdowns, certainly. So far I'm most impressed with Synth V and look forward to its future.

frankensalad

Passionate Fan
Feb 27, 2019
The Utau program is painfully outdated. The fact that the fans of the software have managed to get great results out of it despite the complete lack of software updates is a testament to the fans dedication. Honestly, if it weren't for the massive amount of attention that Teto and the other Vipperloids brought to the software combined with the fact that the actual ENGINE of the software (the resampler) can be easily swapped out and has been recreated by fans multiple times over, The software would be just as dead as Niaoniao or any of the other ancient and unloved voice synths. If the software was opensource, then maybe fans could have implemented their workarounds in a more organic way that makes the software feel decent to use, but instead everyone has to install the software and then search around the internet for hacks to make the software even barely usable. It's 2021 and you still have to use a menu to add the vowel prefixes to the USTs manually because the program was never updated to handle transitional samples on it's own like literally any other vocal synth. Also, rests are obnoxious.

The only reason Utau users think it's doing fine and doesn't need an update is because they've been using the software for multiple years and have been accumulating all the knowledge and workarounds over the years. For anyone who wants to get into the software from the outside, it's off-putting having to jump through all these hoops just to get results that don't sound like pre-2010 defoko.

cafenurse

Still misses Anri Rune
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Also, rests are obnoxious.
This is my BIGGEST gripe with UTAU. It's such a small and insignificant thing, but when other voice synths don't have this problem at all; loading up UTAU and dealing with the rests system feels archaic and frustrating. It's something I take for granted when using VOCALOID, SynthV etc...

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
If I can offer a rebuttal: Utau's a lot more than "barely usable", and this is coming from someone who still hasn't gotten the full hang of it. It's definitely one of the harder synths out there, and it's got issues that could easily be rectified with an upgrade, I won't argue with that. But it gets such an unfair reputation as a bad or unusable or inferior synth. You don't really have to jump through hoops to get good results, it's just a matter of finding and using good voicebanks and then putting work into them, same as literally any other synth out there. Utau can give you results that can trump even Vocaloid with the appropriate resources. To put the entire thing down because the base program isn't the best and good results require a bit more work just doesn't seem fair to me.

(Also, the fact that it can be what it is because of fan contribution is, honestly, one of my favorite parts about it. That's like the whole spirit of vocalsynthesis: taking something fairly cut-and-dry and making something beautiful from it.)

___

Oct 8, 2019
The only reason Utau users think it's doing fine and doesn't need an update is because they've been using the software for multiple years and have been accumulating all the knowledge and workarounds over the years. For anyone who wants to get into the software from the outside, it's off-putting having to jump through all these hoops just to get results that don't sound like pre-2010 defoko.
I got into utau in late 2018/early 2019 and it's easily my favorite synth and one I've gotten the best hang of :yanhe_lili:

The base engine in on itself has it's issues but beneath the complexity lies great flexibility and for many people that's worth the effort and makes it more than "barely usable".

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
I guess my actual unpopular opinion here is that I quite enjoy Defoko’s voice. It may sound muffled and indistinct, but I really enjoy listening to her sing, for some odd reason

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
I guess my actual unpopular opinion here is that I quite enjoy Defoko’s voice. It may sound muffled and indistinct, but I really enjoy listening to her sing, for some odd reason
Oh big same actually. Chipspeech was also one of my favorite engines though so 😂

frankensalad

Passionate Fan
Feb 27, 2019
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I love Defoko. I love vocal synths that don't TRY to sound like real people (Chipspeech is still one of my faves). I was just using it as an example of the difference between the way the Utau engine actually sounds compared to what the fans have managed to bend it to accomplish.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Oh no, don't get me wrong, I love Defoko. I love vocal synths that don't TRY to sound like real people (Chipspeech is still one of my faves). I was just using it as an example of the difference between the way the Utau engine actually sounds compared to what the fans have managed to bend it to accomplish.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Defoko’s low quality due to the fact that her samples are computer-based rather than performed by a real person? It has nothing at all to do with the engine.

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Defoko’s low quality due to the fact that her samples are computer-based rather than performed by a real person? It has nothing at all to do with the engine.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Defoko's samples were made with Aquestalk or smth

Its a crime that Rana is super underrated. She has such a nice voice, and her design is so cute! It really is a shame that not many people use her

___

Oct 8, 2019
That also Defoko isn't really the best example as to how to do CV even by 2010 standards, her samples are way too short.

Edit:
Probably a better example to use would be the 1st vcv:

Last edited:
Reactions: peaches2217

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
MatchAzuki deserve more 😤
I sound like a fake fan since I stan them but haven't bought their V4s but in my defense I'm prioritizing boxed 'loids to downloads, and also I did buy their game some time back despite not even owning a Vita just to kind of say I "have" them a;lfsjdf

ruffe

fka. luwo
Oct 24, 2020
🌎
Maybe it's just me being a little out of touch with the UTAU side, but I was under the impression that Defoko was universally appreciated across the fandom? Most people seem to recognize that she's a fully synthetic voice and like that about her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)