• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

Stardust

Vocal Synth Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2020
coughRWBYcough

As for an unpopular opinion, Ai no Uta is too repetitive for me to listen to. It does not help that I get flashbacks to Project Diva X module grinding when I hear it.

Reactions: Rolo

Stardust

Vocal Synth Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2020
I always thought The First Sound was a really boring song and an awful choice for X (considering it seems mostly forgotten) tbh

Lamaze in general is SUPER repetitive imo
The First Sound is one of those odd cases where the western fandom forgot about it, but it is still very popular in Japan.
I also think part of the popularity comes from the lyrics, which are hard to appreciate without knowing a translation of them. Personally, the instrumental is boring, but once I remember the lyrics, I start to tear up a bit from how emotional they are.
I agree that it is a terrible choice for X, especially when you consider it was already featured in a game(It was in the arcade version first I believe but I just clicked the first one that popped up) with a much better PV.

I have not listened enough to Lamaze-P, but if all of his songs are like Ai no Uta, then I might skip on his next song if he releases one.

On the topic of PVs, after re-watching the F2ND PV of Rosary Pale, I realized the camera angle in one scene is much better then the Arcade version. I wish they had incorporated the F2ND camera instead for FT and MegaMix.

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
I agree that it is a terrible choice for X, especially when you consider it was already featured in a game(It was in the arcade version first I believe but I just clicked the first one that popped up) with a much better PV.

On the topic of PVs, after re-watching the F2ND PV of Rosary Pale, I realized the camera angle in one scene is much better then the Arcade version. I wish they had incorporated the F2ND camera instead for FT and MegaMix.
First Sound was in 2nd, then added to Arcade. (mentioned solely for consistency)

I can get why they never added F2nd PVs for songs already accounted for; it'd be a lot of work for very little reward.

Reactions: Stardust

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
I always thought The First Sound was a really boring song and an awful choice for X (considering it seems mostly forgotten) tbh
The original bores the crap out of me, at least until I read the lyrics. There's two versions I think really does the ultra-emotional lyrics justice: a cover featuring all of the Cryptonloids singing it, and the version performed at Magical Mirai 2017 (the later of which always makes me cry, ngl).

Reactions: Stardust

DefiantKitsune

Lonely kanon fan
Apr 11, 2018
The lyrics things make sense- I heard several songs with a similar theme that were written later but are (arguably) much better BEFORE i heard it, so that might be why it never took for me.

Reactions: Stardust and Rolo

Mika

crying over Rune Factory 6
Jul 5, 2018
Germany
I hate what 1st place did with IA. The way they went from mysterious alien girl with a calming and kinda mellow voice to "look at mee, kawaii IA-chan uwuu". IA sounds bad with a high and squeaky voice. I hate her talk voicebank. I hate that she's a vtuber now. I hate that she's now the cute ditzy older sister trope. I want V3 release IA back. It already started with IA rocks sounding more squeaky than her original voicebank, but after that it just got worse.

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
I wish Lia would've actually voiced her talk :/ the different vp they've chosen barely sounds like IA anyways, I wonder if the updated voice will use Lia's samples?
I didn't know IA Talk was voiced by a different VP! No wonder I hated it automatically when I first heard it - it didn't sound like Vocaloid IA at all.

(The more I hear about what 1st Place have been doing to IA over the years, the more sad I become, because she's one of my favourite Vocaloids.)

KingPapillon

vocal synth weirdo
Nov 2, 2020
So after re-downloading V5 and getting it installed onto my new macbook once again, and after fighting with it for a week, I will say that the way it renders things with the new parameters is quite nice. Lily V3 sounds way better using the V5 api vs V4 Piapro Studio. I would almost really like it too if they improved upon parameter drawing functions, instead of putting them aside in favor of new janky presets. I would maybe even love it if it had on-note pitch bend drawing like SynthV..

Also on the subject of IA, it will never not bother me how she has a japanese Vocaloid voice, an English Cevio voice, and an IA Talk Cevio voice, and all three of them sound nothing like each other. And now, learning that IA Talk isn't even voiced by Lia herself is kind of the worst thing ever.

___

Oct 8, 2019
would almost really like it too if they improved upon parameter drawing functions
Speaking for myself, cuz we might just prioritize different things in synths, I find the fact that you have control points and can move the pit freely a big improvement, having direct on-note pitch drawing is something I want too but I'm happy to see this feature brought back from V1....dunno makes a difference for me. And the scissor tool makes note-bending such a speedier process.

But ofc everyone's tuning process looks different so some things work better for one person than another. I personally have to yet make sense of how gen2 SynthV works and get comfortable in it :clara_ani_lili:

( call me dumb but I've spent solid few minutes trying to figure out how to draw pit on notes....actually still doing it....I'm so rusty in using gen2...) I need to break the habit of tuning in gen1 and them slamming it into gen2 :ring_ani_lili: My problem is that there's no vb I'm really inspired to work with on SynthV,...hence I'm really hyped for Rikka and hoping I'll like her.

Also also! I started writing these two opinions so I'll finish 'em now.

My opinion on Ruby has changed over the year but I remained consistent about one thing: I don't think that Hachi at all sounds better than Ruby ( or worse for that matter ), maybe she's easier to use in utau, can't say as I have no experience using either vb and just going off of how they sound, like I hear Ruby and her jp demos too and go "that sure is Makune Hachi in Vocaloid", one isn't less or more nasally than the other to me, Ruby's faithful recreation of her.

Also there def is a lot to say about how Miku NT sounds but honestly....the software? Ugly as hell. Maybe it's perfectly fine on a functional level, again have no way to know, but aesthetically it looks like early 2000s Blender in voice synth form.

KingPapillon

vocal synth weirdo
Nov 2, 2020
Also there def is a lot to say about how Miku NT sounds but honestly....the software? Ugly as hell. Maybe it's perfectly fine on a functional level, again have no way to know, but aesthetically it looks like early 2000s Blender in voice synth form.
Piapro Studio has always looked kind of ug, BUT, the V4 wallpaper update helped me like it a little more, really hope they bring that back in NT!

I wish voice synth devs spent a little more time on the presentation of their editors.. It's obviously not that big of a deal, but it is something you are forced to spend hours looking at if you want to edit vocals. SynthV looks good, and I love the transparent character image feature, but I would really like color customization options for individual tracks like V5 has. Past Vocaloid (and by extension, DeepVocal which has ripped off of it) has never looked that good to me, but V5 looks way more professional and nicer with its darker theme, but for the both of them, they could still use improvements.

Cevio AI doesn't look good to me with its skittles barf piano roll, and Windows UTAU is probably one of the single most ugliest programs I've ever used lool (but that makes sense given that it is old utilitarian freeware)..

Last edited:

Jisenku

womp womp
Nov 17, 2020
idk anymore
jisenku.carrd.co
Oh yeah, I just remembered my most unpopular opinion yet:

Robotic tuning/sounding vocals are better imo than realistic sounding vocals

Personally, calling them “singing robots” would make more sense if they SOUNDED like robots (or at least didn’t sound super smooth and uncanny)

Anyways yeah thanks for reading my opinion-
Now that you say it... I just realized that my playlist of Vocaloid songs is all songs that, while somewhat better tuned, still have the feeling that it's not human, and I think that's what makes Vocaloid stand out ~btw, this isn't unpopular, but Omoi's tuning absolutely rocks and anybody who says that his tuning sucks (if you don't like it that's fine) i will personally slap because that's a great producer producing great vocals~

Miku's V4X English isn't that bad, especially for what it is, but I mean it's not the worst thing ever. If you kinda tuned the English that Omoi does, with a sprinkle of Mitchie M tuning, you could probably get really nice vocals (Omoi because they add a good amount of 'sharpness' to the vocals, and Mitchie M because he does a good amount of 'realistic tuning' that could help level out the sheer sharpness from Omoi)

Also, Miku's V3 English design gave me nightmares as a kid (haha pocaloid but don't worry i never distributed or made money off of the songs) and I just think that compared to the rest it could have been better (the design is great, just not with the line of anime art, anime art, anime art, oh frick that's really realistic, anime art, anime art...)

Reactions: TheStarPalace

ruffe

fka. luwo
Oct 24, 2020
🌎
A lot of people like it, but I find the trend of overly melismatic tuning very tiresome to listen to. I feel like vocal riffs should be used sparingly and/or only for climactic moments, so when they're strewn throughout every verse and chorus it feels like a chore to keep up with. Pitch/note bending every single note for the sake of it ≠ realistic.

I guess I've always been under the impression that less is more, especially since I heard this cover years ago, though I can always appreciate a good bit of Tiara, Mitchie, or Giga. (and ofc it also depends on the song, Cyber Thunder Cider would never suit realistic tuning)

Rolo

Watch Levius and Stan Natalia Cromwell
Sep 16, 2019
I agree with you all I personally prefer vocaloids to sound like vocaloids and humans to well sing like humans lol. Like I love Mitchie’s tuning a lot! But on songs like Wah Wah world and newly edgy idols it didn’t work for me especially newly edgy idols it took a while for me to figure out what piapro girl was singing at which part because the realistic tuning took a lot of their distinction away. Sometimes I listen to Kikuo’s vocaloid stuff and sometimes I want to hear the covers he made with Hanatan or other singers simply because of how different I know it’ll be. He takes full advantage of Miku being a vocaloid in his vocaloid music versus his songs with real singers which can have a completely different feel due to the singer’s capability (like Hanatan’s strong and powerful voice vs Miku sounding like a small sad child).

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Haha, not sure if the popular vbs thing is an unpopular opinion, I see a lot of people say that about UTAU. I'm glad vocaloid has some really great soft voices in all honesty, but it makes sense that people who like harder pop and rock music would want more powerful voices. I always thought it was kinda impressive that some voicebanks can realistically shout, but I guess all the intrigue wears off at some point.
Just wish there were powerful engloids that weren't as nasally

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)