• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

ruffe

fka. luwo
Oct 24, 2020
🌎
  • Many beloved vocaloids will never get an update

I know most were never gonna get updates, but I think V5 has negated the need for any updates at all. The only updates I think are somewhat necessary are ones like Yanhe_Sweet, since power vocals are cool but way less versatile/harder to use on their own.

Reactions: Krin, Leon and ___

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
I know most were never gonna get updates, but I think V5 has negated the need for any updates at all. The only updates I think are somewhat necessary are ones like Yanhe_Sweet, since power vocals are cool but way less versatile/harder to use on their own.
The V2 Engloids (+Piko) deserved updates tho 😔

Getting onto more of a slightly different tangent, I am still peeved about V5's lack of backwards compatibility. Mostly re: the V2s, but also re: not being able to export a VPR as a VSQx.

Losing 5 native Engloids cut out just under a third of the native English banks (leaves us with Oliver, Hio, Avanna, DDR, Cyva, Cyman, Amy, and Chris). It's a real shame. Regardless of whatever anyone says, I will forever mourn that they can't be imported, since Pocaloid users have gotten them in with That One Super Simple/Fast Trick That I Won't Name Here In Case It's Against TOS, and they sound great and work well with all the new functions. Frustrating. Esp since these banks are still being sold by their companies. I was even able to buy a Ryuuto physical box from a Japanese not that long ago >:(

Not being able to export a VPR as VSQx is just plain weird to me. Having to use third party programs to try to do it is stupid. It goes without saying that a lot of users were on V3 and V4 still soon after V5 dropped, but now if someone makes a song in V5 and wants to share it with those users, they can't, so that user must either try the third party workarounds or upgrade to V5 if they want to. Or else make a VSQ themself ofc, but you get what I'm saying. It just kind of feels like another bid to try to push users to upgrade, and we all already made our complaints about V5's pricetag when it first dropped. So it's a shame

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Not being able to export a VPR as VSQx is just plain weird to me.
V4 couldn’t export VSQxs as VSQs either, if memory serves, so it seems odd that V5 not exporting VSQxs is suddenly a problem. And while it IS sad that V2s can’t be imported, they weren’t at all lost; they come with their own editors, after all, and copies of V3 at least are extremely easy to come by for a decent price anymore; it’s functionally the same as V4 minus a few features that V2s couldn’t use anyway.

It’s sad, but ultimately, Yamaha is a business. V2 was fully retired during the early days of V4, so it’s only logical it wouldn’t be carried over afterward. At least it’s not a V1-type situation, where you have one option and one option only.

___

Oct 8, 2019
V4 couldn’t export VSQxs as VSQs either, if memory serves, so it seems odd that V5 not exporting VSQxs is suddenly a problem.
Or couldn't export V3 VSQx' either, alternatively V3 was made compatible with V4 VSQx' so it's odd V4 hasn't received last update to make it compatible with VPRs.

Esp since these banks are still being sold by their companies.
Yee but it's on limited stock only......while we're at this topic I can kinda tell why Zero-G is taking on CFM-loids :len_lili:

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
V4 couldn’t export VSQxs as VSQs either, if memory serves, so it seems odd that V5 not exporting VSQxs is suddenly a problem. And while it IS sad that V2s can’t be imported, they weren’t at all lost; they come with their own editors, after all, and copies of V3 at least are extremely easy to come by for a decent price anymore; it’s functionally the same as V4 minus a few features that V2s couldn’t use anyway.

It’s sad, but ultimately, Yamaha is a business. V2 was fully retired during the early days of V4, so it’s only logical it wouldn’t be carried over afterward. At least it’s not a V1-type situation, where you have one option and one option only.
Bluhhh this got kinda long so I will spoiler again

Oh don't worry, I'm peeved about that as well! I have a fanmade patch that works for legit V2 that makes it run plugins, and one of them allows it to open VSQx's. It's the only way I survived back when the only editors I had were V1 and V2 😭
I've always thought Yamaha had a terrible backwards compatibility policy, this is just the current complaint LOL

From a business standpoint it makes sense to retire old stuff and move on in time, for sure. I don't recall an official retirement (please correct me if I'm wrong -- I have a *famously* bad memory,,), but I suppose we should place it around the time the Import Tool servers were taken down and you had to start asking companies directly for codes. Anyway it is nice that V2s come with their own editor, even if it is a bit limited in comparison! V3Es being cheap is nice but since it's mostly second-hand and often has to be bought with proxy services, I won't assume that all western users necessarily know about it or will go out of their way to get one.

...Anyway it's just frustrating since the banks themselves are compatible as they are (if you add them by registry you don't have to fudge new IDs or anything, V5 will accept them as they are -- at least, this going off of a friend who tested it out in a cracked version just to see, and they were recognized -- not to mention the arguably easier DDB swap) and work well with all the fancy new functions. The V2->V5 renders some brave souls post sound really nice too. So it's just disappointing from a V2 fan POV. I don't hold like an active grudge against V5 for it anymore, but it is a bummer. I can only be glad companies continue to sell their older banks to fans. Even if the V2 Editor pisses me off, I think the era was one of the best, and it'll be a real sad day when their codes run out the same way the V1 trio's have 😔👊

Again, you make logical points and I don't disagree with them totally! But I will continue to be salty about it in my lil corner jafl;askdjf

EDIT:

Or couldn't export V3 VSQx' either, alternatively V3 was made compatible with V4 VSQx' so it's odd V4 hasn't received last update to make it compatible with VPRs.

Yee but it's on limited stock only......while we're at this topic I can kinda tell why Zero-G is taking on CFM-loids :len_lili:
THAT MADE ME MAD TOO. Why was V4's VSQx different from V3's in the first place? LOL. Anyway yeah it'd be nice if V4 were made to accept VPR's, or if V5 were made to export as VSQx. V2-V4 users being SOL if they want to use a V5 user's VPR is a real bummer imo!

Also yeah, sadly they are running out sinceI heavily doubt any V2s will be renewed once their codes are gone, if a V3 like SeeU isn't. It's sad:<

Reactions: MillyAqualine

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
*Cough cough* there where vsq exporter plugins for v3 and v4 there where even midi exporters for v1. With v5 there is no plugin support so a person couldn't even make a exporter in the engine if they wanted to.
Honestly if Yamaha wanted to retire v2 I'm surprised they made the upgrading cost to be so high because they honestly made a problem for them. Especially with v5 dev costs being so high

Last edited:

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
But it's not native to the editors, it's no different than using utaformatix for V5 at this point.
Agreed, although it was semi convenient to have the midi/VSQ exporter in-editor for V4 at least. I'm sure some brilliant soul will find a way to add it eventually though, like they did for V2! I really ought to DL utaformatix, although I've heard mixed reviews. Have you used it? 🤔

Reactions: peaches2217 and ___

___

Oct 8, 2019
Agreed, although it was semi convenient to have the midi/VSQ exporter in-editor for V4 at least. I'm sure some brilliant soul will find a way to add it eventually though, like they did for V2! I really ought to DL utaformatix, although I've heard mixed reviews. Have you used it? 🤔
That's fair! I'm UTAU user so I'm lenient with this type of stuff lol.

I dunno whether it has dl version but I use the online one super often, it has always worked wonders except when you convert it to VPRs, it has issues witht the Style feature, I just convert to VSQx whenever I need to use something for V5

Last edited:

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
That's fair! I'm UTAU user so I'm lenient with this type of stuff lol.

I dunno whether it has dl version but I use the online one super often, it has always worked wonders except when you convert it to VPRs, it has issues witht the Style feature, I just convert to VSQx whenever I need to use something for V5
LOL that's fair. A friend gave me a quick UTAU English tutorial recently, so I may try to delve into that :>

Ah, online, my bad. But that's a good tip then re: just converting to VSQx, thank you! I'll keep that in mind when I use it eventually ;D

Reactions: peaches2217 and ___

VyNancyV6

a normal pigeon
Jun 12, 2020
Earth
Unpopula opinion2:

Vocaloid is most know for Miku, that cuz Vocaloid get the fame of software for "Kawaii desu voices"
That's why people tend to hate or think it's just childish

Most of the people Ask me for vocaloid always think in Miku or tend to say: "I don't like, It's all japanese voice to sound like little girl(loli)"

I don't care if you don't like but better inform, I used to thought like that

Reactions: TheStarPalace

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
Honestly if Yamaha wanted to retire v2 I'm surprised they made the upgrading cost to be so high because they honestly made a problem for them.
I agree that V5’s quite high for anyone not ready to jump in and commit, but it had no tie to V5. V2 retirement was already in talks by V3 and rolled out before V5 was even conceptialized. At this point I think people are just pointing fingers. I don’t understand or agree with everything Yamaha does by any means, but I stand by the belief that retiring V2s was a perfectly logical business decision. Sad though it is and unfair though it may seem, they’re largely only appealing to hobbiests like us, and that’s just not who they’re marketing to anymore.

Prism

Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2019
Also thank you patuk from introducing me to the converter I can finally use the best Editor synth v now and not have to deal with how vocaloid handles pitch

Kurenai_Akari

Doujin lyricist/Producer & MEIKO fanatic
Apr 8, 2018
Somewhere in Cali
piapro.jp
OK, here we go. (I might be regurgitating some of these points, but whatever)

- I love MEIKO V3 as a voicebank & as character, but her English VB is borderline unusable (I've had her for at least 4 years now & I feel much better using Miku V4 English for my needs who I've had for at least 3 or 4 months)

- Love Yuzuki Yukari, but outside of the Jun VB, Lin & Onn have the worst quality

- Kizuna Akari needs more love

- I want to see more Vocaloids of rock singers released for use, like ToshI from X Japan or Kyo from Dir en grey (they both have insane vocal ranges & are bilingual to an extent)

Mika

crying over Rune Factory 6
Jul 5, 2018
Germany
Considering that Miku and Luka have canon ages....isnt it a big age-gapey too? Idk that ship kinda makes me a bit uncomfortable....
(no they don't, their ages are an idea that can be used if you want to, but they aren't "canon". Crypton stated this many many times, that there are no rules for how their characters are represented (and this is the case for basically all Vocaloids). There is no canon, just ideas the companys give you that you don't have to follow. Just like how they many times had to clarify that Rin and Len are not twins or related, but you can see them like that if you want to.)

aru ii

Your Neighborhood Tianyi Enthusiast!
Feb 12, 2021
VOCALOID4 Editor
I'm a little late here, I will try

Chinese Vocaloids are better then Japanese Vocaloids
Dex & Dina are kinda boring
Utatane Piko is not underrated
All vocal synths except for Vocaloid, UTAU, SynthV & CeVIO are super underrated
AHSoftware is basically good at everything
Korean synths in general are underrated
Russian UTAUs are very good but the only one that is barely noticed in M1NT0
I like that Haiyi sounds like she is chewing bread when she sings, its cute
Miku's Chinese tone is better then her English and Japanese tone
Kuzutokaze UTAU's are the best UTAU group
It's sad that there are so many abandoned UTAUs
Most fanloids are unoriginal

Reactions: TheStarPalace

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)