• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

Unpopular Opinions

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
i have a huge pet peeve for songs/covers where they put in way too much breathing. i know people like to add breaths to sound realistic but i cant listen to a song/cover if the breaths are SO obvious and distracting.
I tried replicating the breaths for a cover for referencing and it drove me INSANE adding in so many breaths

top 10 mistakes I will never make again

EDIT: uhhh to share an opinion to keep the thread on track-

While avatar-less synths are just as good (if not better) than synths with avatars, i like the character-themed ones better

Designs help me find the voices I want (sadly, I'm one of THOSE people. I'm trying to change this fjklabhfjbhal)

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
i have a huge pet peeve for songs/covers where they put in way too much breathing. i know people like to add breaths to sound realistic but i cant listen to a song/cover if the breaths are SO obvious and distracting.
Breaths in covers sound nice to me, but at a certain point, yeah, it's just too much. Part of it is just a holdover from my own tuning style; I was born and raised in a musical family, so while I can't sing, I know how the voice naturally works and tune based off of what would sound natural for me to sing. So if I try hand-adding breaths, I spend the next 20-30 minutes gasping in various volumes, intensities, and tones to nail whatever feel I'm going for, and by the end of it I'm very light-headed. :clara_ani_lili:

A well-timed audible breath sounds better to me than breaths at the beginning/end of every phrase. I think it makes more of an impact, personally.

___

Oct 8, 2019
Here's one that's been on my mind:

It's commonly talked about how you should credit people for their vsqs/usts/what have you and it's stigmatized when you don't do so...which I agree with, that should be the case but what I see way less talked about is crediting the original producer of the song.

Countless times I had trouble searching for the original song that I found through a cover because they didn't bother crediting the producer and not everyone is gonna have the patience to go on a search like that and more often than not I see people having to prompt the cover maker, asking who the og producer was.

With vocaloid classics I can get that but people do it with obscure songs and producers just as much and it's annoying, don't assume people know the producer.

andantina

Jun 10, 2020
ashes to ashes
It baffles me that they wouldn’t credit them anyway, considering they’re using an instrumental that the producer themselves made. Like, the inst is just as big a part of the cover as the vocals are-
for real...
And to be a bit brutally honest this is a good representation of one of the low points of the vocaloid/utau community for me. Which is: too many people overfocus on the characters and forget that vocaloids are, at their core, a music software. That's one of the reasons the community gets stale or immature sometimes imo, because their attention is directed away from the source of their fun: the producers. No Vocaloid would be popular without someone, somewhere, that makes songs for it. They can't thrive off of fanart alone.

peaches2217

Give me Gackpoid AI or give me DEATH
Sep 11, 2019
Arklahoma
The fandom's getting a lot better about crediting producers, but I still see playlists with "Top songs by Hatsune Miku". Like, I know you can't credit all the producers in the titles, but it still rubs me the wrong way... they're songs with Hatsune Miku or using Hatsune Miku.

New plan to overcome this: we spread propaganda featuring Miku crying and feeling guilty every time someone attributes a song to her instead of its producer. We wouldn't wanna make Miku cry, now, would we? :clara_ani_lili:

Blue Of Mind

The world that I do not know...
Apr 8, 2018
Any reupload channels on YT that still exist still don't always credit producers, which is beyond frustrating not only because of the moral/ethical issues with unofficial uploads to begin with (unless the producer or record company places ads in the video, I guess), but also because if the song is obscure, it becomes a pain in the ass trying to track it down elsewhere if there's no producer credit.

Krin

UTAU is my religion!!!
Feb 28, 2019
It should just be common courtesy to credit the original producer just like it already is with crediting the UST / VSQ creator. I agree with Blue Of Mind it's annoying when people don't include the producer in the credits and then I end up having to look it up on VocaDB or the Vocaloid Lyrics Wiki. So many sources like this exist yet people just forget to credit the literal creator of the song they're covering????

___

Oct 8, 2019
Agreed, I reuploaded other producer's work only once cuz it became lost, they weren't active and you could only find covers of it. I and my gf found the original on obscure chinese site and I just wanted to make the og avalibe again and the producer's name was in the title and I plastered his social media all around the description.

Also due to the strange nature the og was posted it was hard to track down the producer too

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
While Mayu may be good quality and expressive, something about her voice....gets to me

It’s a little too, cute and high pitched for my liking

Its really just another bank in a sea of cute, high pitched banks (I’m not saying she’s bad, just that her voice isn’t...that unique at first glance)

Reactions: TheStarPalace

TheStarPalace

Hardcore Fan
Apr 8, 2018
Thread creator with another opinion!

I feel that there's this devaluation of visual art going around within the vocaloid community. Not literally, but music is seen as carrying more "worth" and "value" because vocaloid is music based. That I can get.
But even if vocaloid is music based, visual art is an important part of the fandom itself. What would Donut Hole, Coward Montblanc, and Meltdown be without their iconic music videos? If popular songs had no visuals attached, how differently would they be perceived? Even abstract/non character art makes a big impression too-look at Police Piccadilly's song "Separate" which has a lot of symbolism in the artwork.
Music is the backbone and the soul of the vocaloid community, but art is the face.
I keep seeing this attitude of "liking vocaloid characters is bad" which just confuses me. Yeah being unhealthily attached to a character isn't good in the long term, but I don't see why making fun of people who draw vocaloids, make headcanons, or write fanfics about them helps that issue. A lot of my artist friends use vocaloids as bases for original characters, as their muses, as a part of their creative identity. Not everyone sees the appeal of that I guess... I'm really trying to give benefit of the doubt here but the "get attached to producers and not vocaloids" rhetoric just doesn't make sense to me. The characters are there for a reason.

ikaroll

I wanna scream
Jan 23, 2020
My computer
Music is the backbone and the soul of the vocaloid community, but art is the face.
*looks directly at how Miku’s character art was what attracted most people to Vocaloid in the first place*

Honestly, I agree with your post. Like, yeah, music is how a Vocaloid will get noticed most of the time, but what about music videos with art that has importance?

also, why is it ok in other fandoms to make headcanons and AUs for characters, but not Vocaloid?

I smell some hypocrisy here

EDIT: Just gonna put a small opinion here
I like Mirai Komachi’s voice and design more than Rin (since i commonly see people comparing them on the wiki)

Maribelle

GalacOH no she didn't
Apr 9, 2018
Tbh I have legit mono hearing lol and I very rarely get voicebanks confused in terms of vocaloid unless we talking about alternate voicebanks for a specific vocaloid lol like gumi and her 10 I can tell you for sure which is mellow adult and that's it XD

• Haha
Reactions: --- and ikaroll

Leon

AKA missy20201 (Elliot)
Apr 8, 2018
Hmm... I guess this might be unpopular, but I think that thinking two voices sound alike is okay?

Like there tends to kind of be a heavy denial, when someone says it. Like a Kiyoteru fan who staunchly denies it any time someone says his voice reminds them of Kaito, type deal (not the best example maybe since I think those two genuinely sound very different, but it's one of the more common comparisons I've seen). And I can get the defensiveness of where a fan is coming from, really, and how it can get old to hear. But it's not, like, an insult? There is a wealth of Japanese Vocaloids, so it's only natural that some sound similar. I think plenty of popular real-life singers sound similar too. The only time I really do think "samey" voices is an issue is if there are very few voices in that language, in which case it's like, why bother buying the new one if there are no significant improvements/changes, if you get what I mean.

I do think Mirai sounds an awful lot like Rin in certain uses, but I'm a big fan of both. I can also hear where some people thought that Cyman had some Leon vibes (but I can not hear it with Chris at all). Plus of course, Kokone and Gumi. Embarrassingly I once put on a Vocaloid playlist and when one song I was unfamiliar with started I was like, oh, what Len song is this-- but when I clicked, it was Kaori singing 😭😂

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)