• We're currently having issues with our e-mail system. Anything requiring e-mail validation (2FA, forgotten passwords, etc.) requires to be changed manually at the moment. Please reach out via the Contact Us form if you require any assistance.

VOCALOID Vocaloid ß-Studio

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
Vocaloid 6 released not even a year ago, if they don't bring the improvements from b-studio in v6, they REALLY would screw over their loyal customers who kept paying the higher fee for an inferior software to the competition
this is my one major gripe with yamaha right now i will admit. i wasnt thrilled by vocal 6's release after buying v5 and v5 having next to no work put into it/hardly any banks/basically being untouched. i didnt buy v6 because of this, but for all the others who did? i wouldnt be happy if they jumped to vocaloid beta for something different and entirely better, without it related to v6 at all/not moving this to v6 if it happens to be that.

Granata

*Luna fan number one
Jul 30, 2022
So I saw the tweet but wasn't at home.

Personally I feel like IF it's gonna be an update, it has to be Anon and Kanon. Because if it would be a third party vb would they announce it over ß-Studio? The Zola Project got updated too plus the Planty-P controversy is a decade ago by now.

Tho I highly assume it's gonna be two of the 1 million voicebanks Yamaha is hiding in their basement. We haven't seen designs for Yuina, Kazuya, Kana and Taku yet so it could easily be two of them.

pico

robot enjoyer
Sep 10, 2020
I don't really see AnoKano or MEIKA in the silhouettes at all, personally. I love both of those duos, but I don't really see them as a choice that makes sense, as unfortunate as that may be.

I do think Gekiyaku and Kasehiki is eerily similar to the silhouette, so I could be convinced that way. I want to think these would be UTAU -> VOCALOID conversions and that perhaps this is a way to community-source voicebank concepts a la the nana collaboration.

MagicalMiku

♡Miku♡
Apr 13, 2018
Sapporo
the About page changed a little, before it said that the lottery would start from August 22, now it says that details how to apply will be published in late August, so I guess there is a little delay.

and I forgot how the page description was, but I feel they changed some words to make it more clear what this is:
Yamaha's Pursuit of Singing Synthesis "Now" and "Future"

In parallel with the development of VOCALOID, the best vocal production tool for today's music creators, VOCALOID β-STUDIO is a newly established research studio to pursue "future" singing voice synthesis with everyone. This is a challenge that Yamaha will release prototypes in the research stage to creators free of charge and allow everyone to create music freely, exploring the future of singing voice synthesis that no one knows yet. It is an exploratory effort.

Activities of VOCALOID β-STUDIO

VOCALOID β-STUDIO will be active for a limited time until March 31, 2024 . Among them, we are releasing the DAW plug-in VX-β, which uses singing voice synthesis technology that is still in the research stage. This VX-β is not the beta version of the next version of the VOCALOID product. Furthermore, it is an experimental product that incorporates functions and elements that suggest the world of singing voice synthesis in the future. We sincerely hope that creators will challenge new singing voice synthesis with free ideas and use it for their own creations.

VOCALOID β-STUDIO invites creators to participate. A lottery will be held among those who have applied for participation, and a serial code for using the VX-β will be issued in order. In order to deliver his VX-β to as many people as possible, we will also work to improve the project system, but please forgive us for the limited pace that we can deliver. Also, please note that after April 1, 2024, VX-β will not be able to start up due to the end of the usage period .

Details on how to apply will be published in late August 2023.

I want to explore the relationship between humans and AI technology in music production

Advances in AI technology have made it possible for machines to generate fairly natural sentences and images in an almost fully automatic manner. Under these circumstances, we believe that it will be more important than ever to be able to fully incorporate human creativity in the field of art, such as music production. VOCALOID β-STUDIO was launched with the belief that it is essential to borrow the help of creators themselves in pursuing the relationship between creators and AI technology. The word "STUDIO" contains the desire for creators to create new music one after another at this place. Dear creators, let's open up a new world of singing voice synthesis with us.

VOCALOID β-STUDIO Project Captain Keijiro Saino
(I couldn't find many info about Keijiro Saino , but there are some online research papers made by him and other Yamaha employees that are dated back to 2006)
edit: he is Audio Engineer and Chief Research & Development Department AI Group 1 of Yamaha

Last edited:

morrysillusion

v flower enthusiast
Jul 14, 2018
Socal
morrysillusion.wixsite.com
wow, glad to see a demo! and man, assuming that is Gekiyaku and Kazehiki - i did not think those two were actually gonna get vocaloid banks. always thought they were neat so, thats awesome.

in some ways this sounds better than v6's banks right now. obviously this is still beta, so i hope they continue to improve- their engine noise is so obvious which is a shame, i hope they can really work on that.

aru ii

Your Neighborhood Tianyi Enthusiast!
Feb 12, 2021
VOCALOID4 Editor
Other than gekiyaku and kazehiki there are 7 other vbs. u can listen to them here

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019
Some of us were ...right??! :haiyi_ani_lili:

The way Yamaha marketed this has been really fun, I feel like it's been a while since we've had some classic Vocaloid speculating. The audio quality sounds better than V6, which is good to hear: prtv_3 stans rise up
to me more than the audio quality, the insane thing is the new VST.
Typing the lyrics and all directly from inside cubase??? like, that's amazing for a producer.
the current workflow of the vocaloid vst is really annoying because it requires to switch back and forth between the vocaloid editor and the daw

mobius017

Aspiring ∞ Creator
Apr 8, 2018
the insane thing is the new VST.
Typing the lyrics and all directly from inside cubase??? like, that's amazing for a producer.
That DOES sound cool. From the video, looks like you get a representation of what the MIDI notes are on the actual track, and then you can edit the actual lyrics in a little docked window.

I wonder how much is required from the DAW itself to allow for that.... I mean, none of the other vocal synth softwares work that way, AFAIK.

I'd probably still want to lay notes out on a piano initially (and then export/import MIDI files), but being able to work with them that way and to actually SEE the MIDI notes in the DAW without having to leave the muted piano track in the project would be killer.

Of course, if you could also drag and drop MIDI to/from the VST (just make it a new track when dragging it in; it could be moved into an existing track if you wanted from there), that'd be even better than import/export....

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019
That DOES sound cool. From the video, looks like you get a representation of what the MIDI notes are on the actual track, and then you can edit the actual lyrics in a little docked window.

I wonder how much is required from the DAW itself to allow for that.... I mean, none of the other vocal synth softwares work that way, AFAIK.

I'd probably still want to lay notes out on a piano initially (and then export/import MIDI files), but being able to work with them that way and to actually SEE the MIDI notes in the DAW without having to leave the muted piano track in the project would be killer.

Of course, if you could also drag and drop MIDI to/from the VST (just make it a new track when dragging it in; it could be moved into an existing track if you wanted from there), that'd be even better than import/export....
the lyrics are actually directly entered in cubase's piano roll from what I've seen.
It's possible because the VST3 standard does support lyrics (but no other daw usually made use of the feature, but since steinberg is owned by yamaha, and cubase is made by steinberg...)
like, here i got cubase and it works the same as their video, i don't have yet b-studio because they didn't make it available outside japan yet, but basically it will read the lyrics directly entered in the native cubase piano roll, making the workflow ultra smooth with the rest
1692715777764.png

Last edited:

MagicalMiku

♡Miku♡
Apr 13, 2018
Sapporo
lottery applications are up: :seeu_ani_lili:

it seems like there is no restrictions in terms of where you are applying from, so if you use google translate or other tools to translate, you might apply for it. you need to create a Yamaha ID and answer some questions, and these are some details of the lottery:
You can apply to participate in VOCALOID β-STUDIO from the Yamaha Music Members campaign page (external site). To apply, you must (1) obtain a Yamaha Music ID and (2) answer a questionnaire.

A random lottery will be held for those who apply during the period (until March 31, 2024), and the serial code and download link of the singing voice synthesis plug-in VX-β will be sent to the winners by e-mail. To do. Also, please understand that some of the winners may be selected based on the answers to the questionnaire, in order to create many works that expand the possibilities of new singing voice synthesis with VX-β .
About lottery procedure

• The number and schedule of irregular lottery procedures and the number of winners are not disclosed.
  • You can check the lottery status after applying from the "Application History" on the Yamaha Music Members site .
  • Those who are not selected in one lottery will be eligible for the next lottery.
  • The same person cannot win the lottery more than once.
  • If you would like to modify your answers to the questionnaire after completing the application, please complete the application procedure again. If you apply multiple times, only the last one will be valid.
  • Please note that we cannot answer questions about the lottery process and content.

Last edited:

SeleDreams

Passionate Fan
Jul 31, 2019
lottery applications are up: :seeu_ani_lili:

it seems like there is no restrictions in terms of where you are applying from, so if you use google translate or other tools to translate, you might apply for it. you need to create a Yamaha ID and answer some questions, and these are some details of the lottery:
the thing is the form to create a yamaha id requires to enter our location, and only japanese locations are allowed in the form

they however said on twitter they consider giving a way for foreigners to register

MagicalMiku

♡Miku♡
Apr 13, 2018
Sapporo
the thing is the form to create a yamaha id requires to enter our location, and only japanese locations are allowed in the form

they however said on twitter they consider giving a way for foreigners to register
ohh.. :ryuuto_ani_lili:
maybe it is still possible to create a yamaha id using a japanese address like a hotel or apartment complex (for example, a similar thing happens if you wish to register a Playstation account in the japanese store, you need a japanese address and most foreigners just use a hotel address). I didn't check, but things could get more complicated if they require also a phone number in Japan for a SMS confirmation code.
Still, is good they are open to more registrations, probably they'll extend the beta program little by little ^-^

Twillby

Longtime Listener
Apr 8, 2018
US
I totally didn't use my Tenso address to apply before I saw they were considering adding a way for foreigners to do it jdslkfs Don't have any hopes of actually getting access because I was honest about not being a serious producer and planning to just make covers if I get it sfsdf since they say answers may be taken into consideration

I think the multiβ-N voice sounds like an interesting idea for an experimental bank. Super curious how it works exactly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)